Desparate For Onkyo TX-SR507 Assistance Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't make a habit out of creating a new thread when there is an owners' thread for this model out there...however, that thread has been lifeless and I am desparate. I have a party tomorrow, and really want to showcase this new entertainment center. I would appreciate any guidance.

I am having a terrible time setting up my new Onkyo 507. I'm running it w/ a PS3 and a DirecTV DVR to my LN52B630. I have 5 speakers and I subwoofer. I ran the Audyssey. When I check my speaker set up it tells me that I don't have rear speakers for 7.1 which is true, but the manual specifically says I can't play some versions of DTS and DD.
Anyhow, I can't get the receiver to play surround or recognize DTS, DD, or TrueHD on the panel. I have it set on (auto), but to no avail...The only time DTS shows on teh front panel is for Neo6, but I don't need that. I have 5.1 speakers. Everything is run through HDMI.
I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is your blu-ray set to bitstream?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves View Post

Is your blu-ray set to bitstream?

I've tried both Bitstream and Linear PCM. I also have trouble with the DVR. Thanks.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize that I had to use an optical output for the DTS and DD if I only had 5.1 surround. I thought HDMI was good enough. You learn something new every day.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I just found your thread from searching because I was looking for info on the 507. So it's true you have to use toslink to get DTS from your PS3 to receiver?
I was looking to upgrade to the 507 since my current receiver doesn't have HDMI and I was hoping to get away from using the optical cable for sound. I have to assume HDMI does Master Audio since toslink won't.
Hopefully you got your system set up the way you want now, so can you elaborate on the audio for movies, set up?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ire View Post

I've tried both Bitstream and Linear PCM. I also have trouble with the DVR. Thanks.

It's rare that satellite and cable TV broadcast in anything other than 2 channel because:

1) Few people use it
2) Takes up too much bandwidth.

Channels like HBO movies in HD are the exception more than the rule. But that would be the best channel to turn to for 5.1 DD

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ire View Post

I didn't realize that I had to use an optical output for the DTS and DD if I only had 5.1 surround. I thought HDMI was good enough. You learn something new every day.

The HDMI is good enough. Something is set up wrong in your player.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:

The HDMI is good enough. Something is set up wrong in your player.

That's what I was hoping. I don't want to have to use optical because if I do, there's no real point in upgrading since that's what I'm using now.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you are using your PS3 as your BluRay source, its best to go to a ps3 forum and ask the users there, or the gaming & computer sub-forum here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=94

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

post #10 of 10 Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

It's rare that satellite and cable TV broadcast in anything other than 2 channel because:

1) Few people use it
2) Takes up too much bandwidth.

Channels like HBO movies in HD are the exception more than the rule. But that would be the best channel to turn to for 5.1 DD

Say what?

Granted you can run in to 2.0 only shows, but most (all?) prime time programming on the major networks is encoded with 5.1. Whether your particular affiliate/provider passes that signal on to you can be a different story. Even in my tiny little DMA, only CBS isn't being delivered with 5.1 via TWC. All of the major cable networks, such as TNT, TBS, USA, ESPN, FX, Discovery, TLC, etc. provide quite a bit of their programming in 5.1. The satellite services are no different.

Sorry, back to your regular 507 discussion. :-)

-Brent
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page