Need help on upgrading my existing HT setup (mainly the need for an external amp) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me first describe my setup as of two months ago:

TV: Hitachi 57 Rear Projection
AVR: Denon 1803
Surround Speakers: Klipsch Quintent II
Subwoofer: Klipsch KSW-12
Various game systems, DVR, DVD, etc.

My room dimensions, well basically my basement is in a figure T' with the top of the T' about 35' by 12' and the leg of the T' 15' by 24'. And my system is located at the cross-section.

Actually, it would probably be easier to just show you a sketch.

Well, I'm upgrading slowly bit by bit and I've replaced my Hitachi with a Panasonic 54 (TC-54S1) and I'm getting ready to replace my sub which has been out of commission for a couple of years (blown amp circuit). I'm debating getting the SVS PB12-NSD or the HSU VTF-3 MK3. I'm reading that these are two great subs but unfortunately don't have the chance to hear them in person. Currently leaning toward the HSU. So by the end of the year I'll have:

TV: Panasonic TC-54S1
AVR: Denon 1803
Surround Speakers: Klipsch Quintent II
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3 MK3, probably

But my next question is where do I go from here? I have a large area, yet I am only using a section of that area for HT. I'm looking at next updating my front speakers to towers and also the center channel but as it is now I'm not getting as much power from the Denon as I'd like. So I'm wondering if my next AVR will be sufficient enough to drive my new speakers or if I should look into also getting an external amplifier? I'm really lacking in knowledge when it comes to external amps, pre-outs, etc. I was hoping to use my current AVR with an external amp but after a little research and looking at this thread it looks like I don't have that option.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm generally just looking for advice about if an ext. amp is needed/preferred/overkill and if what I'm proposing makes sense. If I have to break out usage percentages, I'd say 40% HT, 45% gaming, 15% music. Thanks for taking the time to read and for all of your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I recommend external amps if power is limiting you (as opposed to your speakers or sub.)

I recommend Emotiva. Best deal out there, IMO.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
^^^
I second that.
Emotiva is one of the best values out there.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 AM

External amps are a tricky thing, I've been debating for a month and it depends on who you ask.

Logical discussions on power here lead me to believe that we don't generally use as much as we think and that most AVR's should handle the load fine, depending on your setup.

But when I talk to the speaker guys they rave about the differences in their speakers after adding the amps so it's a tough call. Kind of a try it out and see thing...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

While I love my Denon 1803, it is an older AVR so I didn't know if the newer AVRs handle power better as well as have more HDMI inputs, etc. The main problem I have with the Denon is hearing speech from the center channel while running on the treadmill. "Normal" movie watching is fine. I'm not sure if it is the AVR or the speaker (since they are the smaller Klipsch Quintets) but I'm assuming it is the AVR. Since I can't use an external amplifier with the 1803, I'm thinking I'll upgrade the AVR and then go from there and see if I need an amp. Just need to make sure I get one with pre-outs this time.

But now that I have the display and sub, I'm not sure if the next step should be speakers or an AVR. I guess I have a whole year to decide.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 05:30 PM

i would say it's your speakers and receiver. You said you were going to upgrade the speakers,right? I would do that and then see what kind of power you need for them. BTW I owned the 1803 years ago and had it powering some DefTech towers. I am pretty sure it should not have a problem driving those small Klipsch speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page