Upgraditis dialemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hi folks

Christmas is round the corner & upgraditis has hit me ( like a lot of other forum members) - Santa needs to give me something :-)

My audio set up is mirage om-9/om-c2 ( LCR) being driven by Pioneer 82TXS . Sources are Oppo BDP & DirectTV HR21. Usage is 60/40 movies/music.

I am looking at Denon AVR-989/2809 ( you know, Pioneer doesn't do TrueHD,DTSMA etc plus I am attacted towards dolby volume functionality)

I am also looking at Emo XPA-3 . My room is 20x33 plus the whole kitchen at the back.

Now the catch is I have budget for only one of these. Which one gives the most bang ( read improvement) for the money - denon or emo?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalya View Post

hi folks

Christmas is round the corner & upgraditis has hit me ( like a lot of other forum members) - Santa needs to give me something :-)

My audio set up is mirage om-9/om-c2 ( LCR) being driven by Pioneer 82TXS . Sources are Oppo BDP & DirectTV HR21. Usage is 60/40 movies/music.

I am looking at Denon AVR-989/2809 ( you know, Pioneer doesn't do TrueHD,DTSMA etc plus I am attacted towards dolby volume functionality)

I am also looking at Emo XPA-3 . My room is 20x33 plus the whole kitchen at the back.

Now the catch is I have budget for only one of these. Which one gives the most bang ( read improvement) for the money - denon or emo?

I doubt the 2809 will sound much different than the 82txs-it won't be a power upgrade for sure. If you're interested in Truehd, DTSMA, etc you need a blu-ray player as well. if the Oppo you referred to is a blu-ray player-then let it handle the new codecs. Picking up the amp might help-I have never heard your speakers though.

Upgraditus hits us all from time to time. Are you happy with your speakers? What kind of sub do you have?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-14-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan711 View Post

I doubt the 2809 will sound much different than the 82txs-it won't be a power upgrade for sure. If you're interested in Truehd, DTSMA, etc you need a blu-ray player as well. if the Oppo you referred to is a blu-ray player-then let it handle the new codecs. Picking up the amp might help-I have never heard your speakers though.

Upgraditus hits us all from time to time. Are you happy with your speakers? What kind of sub do you have?

Right now Oppo BDP-83 is doing all the decoding (DTSMA,TrueHD etc) & sending PCM to pioneer. Sub is HSU VTF2 MK3.
I have no complains about speakers - in two channel they sound great. The center is great as well, but since the fronts are bi-amped & center is not , I feel some difference in movie mode and also I need to bump the volume much higher in movie mode to get the same volume level as two channel

post #4 of 5 Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I'd suggest a receiver that includes Audyssey equalization. That'd probably make the most noticeable improvement. Assuming the old receiver has preamp inputs and the new one has preamp outputs, you might consider keeping the current one and splitting the speaker load between them.

Selden
post #5 of 5 Old 12-15-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I'd suggest a receiver that includes Audyssey equalization. That'd probably make the most noticeable improvement. Assuming the old receiver has preamp inputs and the new one has preamp outputs, you might consider keeping the current one and splitting the speaker load between them.

My current receiver has pre-outs but not inputs

One more info - I use BFD for sub equalization

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page