Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am considering assembling a 3 zone Audio system --

Basic Requirements:

Zone 1 - 5.1 Home Theater (powered by receiver - no preout)
Zone 2 - 2 speakers (powered by receiver - no preout)
Zone 3 - 2 speakers (powered by receiver - no preout)

Ability to play all speakers at once or individual zones.

Remote keypads/remote volume control is =not= a requirement. I want to keep all the HT/receiver equip in one location (Zone 1).

I've looked at Niles, Russound etc. who specialize in multiroom/multizone selectors/receivers & they seem a bit of an overkill.

Budget for receiver $2k+

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After some searching, I came up with what I think is the list of the receivers that are both in your price range and will power a 5.1 theater AND zone 2 AND zone 3 at the same time. There are a few others that are more expensive....basically anything from a listed brand that is above the listed model(s). Also the 2 highest models in the Denon line ($3000 and $5500 though).

Integra DTR 70.1 - $2000
Onkyo TX-NR1007 - $1599
Onkyo TX-NR3007 - $2099
post #3 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM

And as far as control, just pick up any RF capable universal remote (or 2 or 3 of them) and you can control zone 2 and 3 from anywhere.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post

After some searching, I came up with what I think is the list of the receivers that are both in your price range and will power a 5.1 theater AND zone 2 AND zone 3 at the same time. There are a few others that are more expensive....basically anything from a listed brand that is above the listed model(s). Also the 2 highest models in the Denon line ($3000 and $5500 though).

Integra DTR 70.1 - $2000
Onkyo TX-NR1007 - $1599
Onkyo TX-NR3007 - $2099
Yamaha RX-V3900 - $1899
Yamaha RX-V1900 - $1399
Yamaha RX-V2065 - $1399

Excellent work -- The Integra/Onkyo manuals seem very similar as if there were a single OEM design house. The Integra is niiiice. Thanks again. Looks like not only will I have to run my CL2 speaker wires but at least one Cat5 cable as well as these receivers are network capable.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 12:40 AM

Yeah. Nearly everything has ethernet ports on it now for some kind of networking. Integra is built by Onkyo and marketed towards custom integrators and specialty dealers. Same basic features though on comparable models. They likely share many parts. Sounds like you know what you are doing.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 02:51 AM

There's also the seemingly obvious solution of using, ahem, more than one receiver. There's really very little difference in the user experience if you're using a universal RF remote - I mean, pressing the "Play zones 1 and 3" button isn't going to be terribly different in either case.

It's just a matter of whether you have the space.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 370
And with multiple receivers, all zones aren't down when one has to be sent out for repairs.

Selden
post #8 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 05:15 AM

Liked: 53
The Yamaha 1065 and 3900 do not do 2 zones and 5.1 at the same time without an external amplifier. They have 7 total channels of amplification, to do what you needs requires 9. The Yamaha RX-Z11 which has been selling for just under $2K has 11 channels of amplification. It would allow for 7.1 with 2 zones or 5.1 with 3 zones.

As other have mentioned I would consider multiple pieces. In your price range I'd look at Sonos for your two zones and then an under $1K receiver. You won't be sorry, I've installed a lot of systems and you can do multiple zones on one good universal remote but you almost always run into the problem of controlling two different areas at the same time and someone needs to borrow the remote. The solution is to get at least 2 remotes which adds to the cost.

Plus with Sonos you get your whole library and various internet music sources (over 25,000) at you finger tips. To do this with a universal remote would be very expensive and would blow your budget on just the remote.

Bob
post #9 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

The Yamaha 1065 and 3900 do not do 2 zones and 5.1 at the same time without an external amplifier. They have 7 total channels of amplification, to do what you needs requires 9. The Yamaha RX-Z11 which has been selling for just under $2K has 11 channels of amplification. It would allow for 7.1 with 2 zones or 5.1 with 3 zones.

As other have mentioned I would consider multiple pieces. In your price range I'd look at Sonos for your two zones and then an under $1K receiver. You won't be sorry, I've installed a lot of systems and you can do multiple zones on one good universal remote but you almost always run into the problem of controlling two different areas at the same time and someone needs to borrow the remote. The solution is to get at least 2 remotes which adds to the cost.

Plus with Sonos you get your whole library and various internet music sources (over 25,000) at you finger tips. To do this with a universal remote would be very expensive and would blow your budget on just the remote.

Bob

I've looked at Sonos - Sonos nitch is if you have sources/speakers in multiple locations. If your sources are in =one= place what's the point? That is if you have all sources in one place than you have to have multiple Sonos units stacked together in one place (wireless communication within 1 inch of each other -- lol). Sonos is innovative in that it uses Wifi but I'm looking for a single unit to drive 3 zones.

Thanks for the other referrals such as the RX-Z11.

BTW if one wants to purchase an Integra where does one buy one? Do you have to buy it through a HomeTheater authorized dealer?
post #10 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM

You could also use something like this for your zone control and amplification.
http://www.htd.com/A-2106-Stereo-Amplifier
post #11 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

I did not mention the 1065, but the 2065 and 3900 both have the capability to power a 5.1 system AND zone 2 and 3. Read the manual. Its in there.

Sonos is really cool too! Might be worth looking into. Its a system easy to add on to later as well. And no worry if you stack them all together. As long as there is a network connection hardwired there, and the controller has the range, you can put them all in one location. We did a 6 zone Sonos system and they are all in a closet under the stairs. The controller works fine from anywhere inside the house or out on the patio. You can always add a zone bridge if you need more range.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Liked: 53
Having installed these receivers I can tell you they only have 7 channels of amplification, I am very familiar with them. So that is 5.1 with Zone 2 but not Zone 3.
The manual states about presence speakers and surround bck speakers can't be played at the same time. It can't do this because it only has 7 chann;es of amplification. It also states you may need external amps for zone 2/3 and that you should consult your dealer or service center for configuring your receiver.

Here is another thread on it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...58341&page=144

Bob
post #13 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 PM

You are right. Although that makes complete sense (duh....why did I not read the number of amps rather than only look at the back panel). They need to re-write the manual. The ONLY place I found any mention of this is a small note in fine print on page 60 of the 2065 manual that says:

"When setting "Extra Speaker Assignment" to "Zone2 + Zone3", surround and surround back channel signals for the main unit are separately output from other channels."

To me, that only makes a little sense...I assume they mean it will output the surround and surround back signals through the appropriate preouts?

Will it switch between surround speaker outputs and Zone 3 if you turn on zone 3 while you are also playing 5.1 in the main zone? I would be curious to know. Older models from other manufacturers would do this with surround back and zone 2. Nice feature really.

Anyhow, I removed the Yamaha models from my list, leaving only 3 receivers in your price range. Of course those are MSRP and you might be able to find deals on higher models than those listed. (Like the RXZ11 BobL mentioned, or the Denon AVR-4810)
post #14 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post

You are right. Although that makes complete sense (duh....why did I not read the number of amps rather than only look at the back panel). They need to re-write the manual. The ONLY place I found any mention of this is a small note in fine print on page 60 of the 2065 manual that says:

"When setting "Extra Speaker Assignment" to "Zone2 + Zone3", surround and surround back channel signals for the main unit are separately output from other channels."

To me, that only makes a little sense...I assume they mean it will output the surround and surround back signals through the appropriate preouts?

Will it switch between surround speaker outputs and Zone 3 if you turn on zone 3 while you are also playing 5.1 in the main zone? I would be curious to know. Older models from other manufacturers would do this with surround back and zone 2. Nice feature really.

Anyhow, I removed the Yamaha models from my list, leaving only 3 receivers in your price range. Of course those are MSRP and you might be able to find deals on higher models than those listed. (Like the RXZ11 BobL mentioned, or the Denon AVR-4810)

Thanks again - re-reading the Yamaha manuals it wasn't real clear if the zones were pre-outs or amplified as the illustrations always used a separate amp for the extra zones. I did call a few Integra authorized dealers down my way & they were more than happy to sell me an Integra receiver.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 AM

I'm in a similar situation and have been searching the threads for advice. JoeG44, I hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread.

We're in the process or a remodel and will be installing spearkers in at least 3 zones (kitchen (2x 6" Speakercraft in ceiling speakers), master bed (same), living room (5.1 system yet to be determined).

I'm baffled as to the best way accomplish this. The speakers are all wired to a central location in the basement. The house is also hardwired for network. I've looked at the Sonos system, I love the wireless remote and network access, but I'm not clear on how it will be wired into the system if I have my own amp/receiver.

If I opt to go with a multizone receiver, how to I incorporate a simplistic wireless remote (like Sonos) that I can either pull music from my PC or from the net?

As I'm already over budget on the home remodel, price is a significant concern. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page