Out of the loop, need guidance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Denon AVR-887 in my theater for a little over 2 years and the sound just died tonight. Since buying it I have not kept up with what's going on so that I wouldn't catch an upgrade bug since what I had was fine.

If someone could please help point me in the right direction it would greatly reduce the time that it will take to research what to buy so that I can get it back up and running before Christmas. That means that I have to make a decision this weekend in order to have a chance of getting a replacement in time.

I have a PS3 and HD-DVD. I use HDMI into the receiver and then out to my Epson 720 projector. I've got a 7.1 set-up. My next projector will be a 1080p but not anytime soon. I must be able to rename the inputs and would like a little more power. I could only go up so much and my A2-300 sub would cut out (don't know why it does that so I just don't turn it up).

I don't need the latest and would prefer to save the money. This receiver only cost me about $550 when I got it.

Any suggestions on models would help to greatly reduce the time it's going to take to find a replacement. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You didn't mention a budget for a new AVR but I'll toss out some ideas in the general area of $300-500.
The Onkyo RC160 (refurb) at the low end price-wise is a very well received AVR. Similar to the Onkyo 607 with a few watts and features left out. The Denon 590 (new) at $349 might interest you as you are already familiar with them - setup can be a pain from what I've read of the user manual - this pertains to all current Denon's. The Denon 1910 adds power connectivity and features over the 590 - and also adds a couple hundred in price.

The Onkyo 707 is a few bucks cheaper than the 1910 but has about the same features as the 1910.

Post your budget and you will get many more suggestions.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My price is no more than $600 although lower is always better. I was looking a Dakmart and they've got mine as a refurb for $370. That's a definite possibility but if I can find an "upgrade" for only a couple of hundred more then I'd consider that.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page