Questions abt Anthem PVA-5 & Parasound 5125 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hello Everyone,

Relatively new here and looking forward to being part of the great forums here at AVS.

I am considering two multi-channel amps - the Anthem PVA-5 or the Parasound 5125. They are 105w x 5 and 125w x 5 respectively so I condider this difference negligible. The price I can obtain either of these at is fairly close too. What I want to know about is current capacity and their internals.

The Anthem has a single 800VA Toroidal transformer but no published spec on its peak current capacity per channel. This transformer seems small to power all 5 channels when one considers the Rotel RMB1075 has a single 1500VA toroidal for its 5. Yet I have seen many rave reviews praising the Anthem on its musicality, something that is more important to me than home theater application. I just hope it has the dynamic range and wee bit of bass slam that I am accustomed to.

The Parasound is stated as having "dual oversized toroidal transformers" yet I cannot find their specified size anywhere on the internet. So how big is "oversized"? Yet Parasound does state the amps peak current capacity at 35 amps per channel.

So does anyone know the peak current capacity of the Anthem? And does anyone know the actual size of "dual toroidals" used in the Parasound? I would also welcome any other comments about these amps from actual users.

My tastes are 70% music, 30% movies but of that 70%, I really enjoy Blu Ray concerts such as Rush Snakes and Arrows, Heart Live in Seattle. Greats disks by the way if for both sound and video quality if you like rock.

Thanks again.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page