Receiver Help: Sony DN1000 or Onkyo or Something Else - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-28-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the Sony DN1000 on boxing day in Canada for $370. After looking on this site I see that many people dont favour Sony as a receiver.

I looked at the Onkyo 607 and 160 and was thinking about returning the Sony and picking up one of these receivers online.

Does anyone have any recommendations on these 2 receivers or any others in the same price range. I am somewhat of a noob when it comes to all of this audio stuff.

The speakers that I will be using are:
Polk Monitor 70.. already purchased
Polk Monitor 40
Polk CS2

Subwoofer will probably be a Bic F12.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
On this site, Sony AVRs don't get much respect. Much of the info is based on older equipment, and some is based on what they've heard from others. I read it all too, and then went to lots of other places to do some more reading. When the dust settled, I bought the DN1000 and couldn't be more pleased.

It replaced my Harman-Kardon AVR247 with its twitchy HDMI switching and from a purely subjective listening, it is an improvement in overall sound of my 7.1 setup.

The first thing I noted was that everything works like it is supposed to with no glitches. The auto=setup works fine, but takes a little tweaking, but that is pretty common to most of the auto-setups, imo. The unit looks very good.

I have an AppleTV, Sony N460 BD player, Dish HDDVR and HTPC connected via HDMI and the switching is smooth, with never a miss which was common with the HK. My HD-A2 HDDVD player is connected via component/optical, set at 1080i and it works fine. Everything goes out via HDMI to my Panasonic plasma.

I would say to connect your unit and see what you think. You may find that it is just your cup of tea!

Lloyd
post #3 of 6 Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11
I would agree with Iparsons21. I have the DN1000 and the Sony BDP N460 bluray and I am very happy with my choices. Everything works smoothly and no problems, sounds great too. I came from a Sony ES receiver that I had for six years and there is no change in the sound quality. I think that speaks very well for the DN1000. Only reason I even changed was to get the HDMI inputs and decoding for the new lossless codecs with the bluray player.

Larry
post #4 of 6 Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I will hook it up first before I decide to return it and buy something else.

Anyone else have any other opinions of other receivers that might be better in the same price range.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 AM

So did you hook it up? how did you like it? I am torn between it and the 160 but in no hurry to decide.

Dan M
"If you don;t know where you're going, any road will take you there." G. Harrison.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
www.jr.com has a good weekend price on the DN1000
http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_STRDN1000/ I doubt the price will last past Sunday since it is part of their "weekend sale" pricing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page