Looking for suggestions on replacement receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No recent threads and been trolling through a bunch of different threads, but this site seems more oriented to info when you know what component you want to discuss (which is not the case for me) so here goes. My receiver just went pfft and won't stay powered on once it tries to bring up the outputs. I was planning on replacing it anyway as I'm about ready to make the jump from Component to HDMI.

Dead Receiver: JVC RX-9010V (not near as perfect as I thought it would be on purchase back in '02 - it's been somewhat flaky from the start)

Receiver Connections:
5.1 speakers (KLH 9250B Fronts, Klipsch RVX-42 center, Klipsch RS-10 rears, and KLH 10" sub)
Wii (y+Pb+Pr+L+R) 480p
TiVo Series 2 (C+L+R)
TiVo Series 3 (y+Pb+Pr+TOS) OR for future (HDMI)
JVC DVD (keep? or toss for BRD) (y+Pb+Pr+TOS)
Future BRD (HDMI)
JVC 720p Monitor DVI-D Single Link + (y+Pb+Pr)+C/S x 2 + C/S+L+R - eventually to be replaced by 1080p HDMI monitor
Occasionally use front panel component for other A/V sources.
Also has nice USB speaker function I use to play music from Mac Laptop sometimes.
I have a Harmony One to control the mess and keep wife and kids able to function.

If I'm not replacing the current TV & Entertainment Center then the replacement unit needs to fit in 9" of vertical space (there's an additional 1" clearance once it's in for airflow over the top). 21"w x 21"d round out the available space.

If I'm not replacing the current TV, DVD & Entertainment Center, then I need to feed 3 component inputs to the TV over Component and it would be really nice it it were possible to take an HDMI feed (from future BRD Player) and pass it out over Component to the TV since the current TV has no HDMI connection (it has DVI-D so that could be used in place of component if the receiver will support it or if it's possible to convert HDMI to DVI-D). If not, guess I'll have to replace TV once I get a BRD Player.

Optionally, I suppose I could replace the TV with an HD Monitor that supports a large number of connections and just get a receiver to do only the audio work. But that would be a post for another forum.

Anyway, budget is <$1500 and preferably <$500. I know that's a pretty wide range but it really depends on what I'm getting for that and not so much the actual price.

I'm not an audiophile, but like to listen to classical music from time to time (thus the KLH large fronts instead of typical teenie fronts oft found in HTIBs). I definitely watch a lot of Cable TV HD content and DVDs and have started building my BRD collection (pretty much stopped buying DVD unless it's part of one of those BRD/DVD combos and I'd like to stop buying those expensive buggers and just get the BRDs starting sometime this year). Regarding BRD - not hot on the PS3 as a player option, but it's still a possibility. Still, I lean more towards the stand alone BRD players. I think I'm waiting on one that starts FAST and has WiFi built in.

I've been thinking the Pioneer VSX-1019 or something similar might fit the bill. I'm big on buying the most recent and most feature rich I can afford now to stave off future buyers remorse and hoping to get another 5+ years of service out of this next unit. I'm not tied or repulsed by any particular brand, but do hate to pay for a brand label (e.g. Sony) when I can get just as good elsewhere w/o paying for the name.

Entertainment Center (custom built to surround the HDTV.
Closeup
top 1/2
Yes - the Center is not in an optimal position. I had originally planned to use the speakers in the base of the TV as my center channel, but for some reason (impedance mismatch I assume) I could never get them to be loud enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Start with looking at Denon 1910,2310. Also there is the Pioneer Elites 21/23. Onkyo RC160/607, RC180/807. Yamaha 765,1065. As for older models that can be had for good prices there is accessories4less that has a good selection of Marantz and Onkyo, most are refurb units with warranties and there are some new Onkyo's there also.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Something to keep in mind is that 1" of clearance is not enough unless there's a fan, too. Many receivers generate a lot of heat, which must be allowed to escape. Overheating might have contributed to your previous receiver's flakiness and eventual death.

Although it's possible in principle, translating from HDMI to component apparently isn't allowed by the licensing agreements. The studios don't like the idea of people being able to record their movies with high resolution. Transcoding from component and composite to HDMI is readily available, although it adds to the price of the receiver. (I.e. receivers under $300 don't have it.)

I'll leave it to others to make specific suggestions. The equipment that I'm familiar with either is above your price range or doesn't have enough component inputs.

Selden
post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIXMeister View Post

I've been thinking the Pioneer VSX-1019 or something similar might fit the bill.

The 1019 only has two component inputs, but it will fit in 9" of space without issue. Given your wide budget its clearly at the bottom end.

Doesn't the TiVo 3 have HDMI out? If so that saves a component port.

Since you are moving towards HDMI sources and HD audio it makes sense to ditch your current DVD and get a Blu-Ray player at the same time (provided you have the budget). While your on the fence pick up a newer DVD player that upconverts over HDMI, they are really cheap these days (under $100).

For the Mac laptop grab one of these: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ then you can stream the music wirelessly from the laptop to the AVR.

As for the TV you can get an HDMI to DVI cable so you'll only have one HDMI out to the TV. My current Sony RP LCD is hooked up this way and it works fine. Most AVRs in your price range will upconvert the component sources to HDMI, but check the specs to be sure.

My equipment list is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Since you are moving towards HDMI sources and HD audio it makes sense to ditch your current DVD and get a Blu-Ray player at the same time (provided you have the budget). While your on the fence pick up a newer DVD player that upconverts over HDMI, they are really cheap these days (under $100).

Or just get an inexpensive blu ray player and skip the upconverting dvd player. For $125 you can get quality BD players now.

Panasonic BD60
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...2447505&sr=8-1

Sony S360
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S360-...2447505&sr=8-2

Or the fast loading JVC player
http://www.jr.com/jvc/pe/JVC_XVBP11/#productTabDetails

Afro GT
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Something to keep in mind is that 1" of clearance is not enough unless there's a fan, too. Many receivers generate a lot of heat, which must be allowed to escape. Overheating might have contributed to your previous receiver's flakiness and eventual death.

The 1" is only if the receiver is a full 9" tall. Also, I have significant back ventilation to drain the potential "heat pond" in the top 1" so heat shouldn't be an issue. Also, hoping/expecting not to put a full 9" tall receiver in this cabinet. I'll post a pic.

I think the other receivers initial problem was too much downward tension on the video inputs causing at least one input terminal to crack it's connection to the motherboard. The receiver actually lifted up off its front feet due to cable weight in the back. (5' of component video cables x 3 are HEAVY).

The new install will include better cable management to prevent that. Not 100% sure how, but I'll figure something out.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, so I made up my "short list" and trekked over to the local shops to see what I could find. I like to buy things like this locally in case something goes wrong. The list:
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
Onkyo TX-NR807
Yamaha RX-V1065BL
Denon AVR1910

Nobody had the Pioneer at all either not in stock or not carried. Would have had to buy at a specialty shop and they're a bit too pricey.

I found a Yamaha at my local Best Buy on sale $75 off.

I decided it was finally time to get that BlueRay player too. I wanted the Panasonic BD60 - every BB in CMH is out (or was at the time) but local Wal-Mart had BD601 on sale for $148 so I picked it up there.

Now to see if I can get the old receiver fixed cheap enough to be worth it. It was a pretty nice unit RX-9010VBK.

Thanks for all the help!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page