Anthem AV receiver at CES? - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now, the plan is to unbox and inspect the unit tonight, install and test it tomorrow, and run ARC and fine tune on Saturday. I will update with pictures and impressions along the way, with a review by the end of the weekend. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for the well wishes and info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 05:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakowako View Post

I do not want to turn this forum into a discussion of business practices....

Me either. I made my point. Let's move on.

dream in algorithms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #963 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I got a call yesterday that my MRX-700 arrived and my boss was nice enough to let me leave early (yes, I used my vacation time). The unit is nice looking - not a show off piece, but I didn't buy it to be looked at. The ARC software/accessories all come in a box inside the receiver box.

I hooked up my speakers (Studio 20's L/R, CC690 Center, ADP590's surround, and a Sub15). Then I hooked up my Pan BD65 BluRay (HDMI).

I installed the ARC software (on a laptop running Windows 7). That went smoothly. I hooked up the ARC Mic using the supplied USB mini-standard cable and put it in the supplied tripod. This struck me as to why Anthem is spending money to supply a tripod, but they do.

The first glitch came when the instructions said to hook up the serial cable to the Anthem (that part was easy) and the other end of the cable to the laptop (that part really shocked me). Why? Because the other end was SERIAL. Even the software says you must be using Windows XP, Vista or 7 - so who has a laptop/computer with a serial connector. So I called my dealer and he actually had a 'Serial to USB' to lend me, so I picked it up and hooked everything up.

I put the mic in position 1 and started the ARC software. The first thing I noticed was unlike the Denon's and Yamaha's I've used in the past, the frequency sweep tone sounded different. It sounds like a digital version of someone saying "Worst". It took about 12 minutes to do all the testing for the five positions. Then it took an agonizing 15 minutes to update the MRX-700 with the data (I think that's why Serial ports are dead).

The one area I'm confused by is setting the MRX-700 to use the ARC settings. I went into the setup and under one of the AUDIO options (I forget which one) it said "ARC" and 'YES' was selected. Normally I'd assume it was setup properly, but the ARC Software manual says you can use both a Movie and a Music setting depending on your source (I'd imagine for CD you'd use Music and for BluRay Movie), but I couldn't find this option. At this point (9pm at night) I wasn't going to bug my dealer, so I'll ask him after I'm done with work tonight- but if anyone has an answer before that, I'd appreciate it.

While the ARC graphs show improvement, I was surprised with a noticeable drop off over 10KHz in all the speakers. The blue line (which shows the optimal Freq. Resp.) was flat from 20-20,000, but the calculated measurement (the green line) showed a significant drop. Any ideas from people who have used ARC before?

I may have left some stuff out in the setup process, but I'm happy to answer any questions.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #964 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I got a call yesterday that my MRX-700 arrived and my boss was nice enough to let me leave early (yes, I used my vacation time). The unit is nice looking - not a show off piece, but I didn't buy it to be looked at. The ARC software/accessories all come in a box inside the receiver box.

I hooked up my speakers (Studio 20's L/R, CC690 Center, ADP590's surround, and a Sub15). Then I hooked up my Pan BD65 BluRay (HDMI).

I installed the ARC software (on a laptop running Windows 7). That went smoothly. I hooked up the ARC Mic using the supplied USB mini-standard cable and put it in the supplied tripod. This struck me as to why Anthem is spending money to supply a tripod, but they do.

The first glitch came when the instructions said to hook up the serial cable to the Anthem (that part was easy) and the other end of the cable to the laptop (that part really shocked me). Why? Because the other end was SERIAL. Even the software says you must be using Windows XP, Vista or 7 - so who has a laptop/computer with a serial connector. So I called my dealer and he actually had a 'Serial to USB' to lend me, so I picked it up and hooked everything up.

I put the mic in position 1 and started the ARC software. The first thing I noticed was unlike the Denon's and Yamaha's I've used in the past, the frequency sweep tone sounded different. It sounds like a digital version of someone saying "Worst". It took about 12 minutes to do all the testing for the five positions. Then it took an agonizing 15 minutes to update the MRX-700 with the data (I think that's why Serial ports are dead).

The one area I'm confused by is setting the MRX-700 to use the ARC settings. I went into the setup and under one of the AUDIO options (I forget which one) it said "ARC" and 'YES' was selected. Normally I'd assume it was setup properly, but the ARC Software manual says you can use both a Movie and a Music setting depending on your source (I'd imagine for CD you'd use Music and for BluRay Movie), but I couldn't find this option. At this point (9pm at night) I wasn't going to bug my dealer, so I'll ask him after I'm done with work tonight- but if anyone has an answer before that, I'd appreciate it.

While the ARC graphs show improvement, I was surprised with a noticeable drop off over 10KHz in all the speakers. The blue line (which shows the optimal Freq. Resp.) was flat from 20-20,000, but the calculated measurement (the green line) showed a significant drop. Any ideas from people who have used ARC before?

I may have left some stuff out in the setup process, but I'm happy to answer any questions.

Most of us use the Keyspan USB/Serial Adapter (USA 19H) Make sure to download the latest drivers for your version of windows.
don't worry about the drop at 10K. Since the MRXs are restricted to a correction up to 5K, many of us get this dip at 10K which may be due to the mic getting more directional at the higher freq. Post your charts and Target window so we can see your measurements. Oh, and Congrats
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #965 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:

What led you to decide on the MRX 700? Was it added wattage and HD Radio or other reasons? I am perfectly happy with my MRX 500 but there is always that "Should I Go With" in the back of my head.
post #966 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

What led you to decide on the MRX 700? Was it added wattage and HD Radio or other reasons? I am perfectly happy with my MRX 500 but there is always that "Should I Go With" in the back of my head.

While I haven't ruled out using HD Radio, it was really the amplifier that made me go with the 700. Not so much the extra watts but the toroidal transformers.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #967 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

While I haven't ruled out using HD Radio, it was really the amplifier that made me go with the 700. Not so much the extra watts but the toroidal transformers.

Explain what benefits the toroidal transformers will add. I was under the impression that other than added watts and HD radio, that there was no internal difference between the 500 and 700. Any info would be great - thanks.
post #968 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Explain what benefits the toroidal transformers will add. I was under the impression that other than added watts and HD radio, that there was no internal difference between the 500 and 700. Any info would be great - thanks.

Its due to their construction [the secondary windings around the core] which absorb the magnetic field from the primary windings which means less stray magnetic fields so less emi/rf affecting the circuitry [very efficient because of that construction as well] . They can be more compact compared to the same rated ei core ones I read .

I wouldnt worry to much as Ime sure the anthems have well isolated pcbs and good shielding
post #969 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Wow congrats on your purchase Have you listened to anything yet? Please keep us informed.
post #970 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The testone you are hearing is a full freq. sweep, 20 Hz or below up to 20 KHz, not that snapping sound Audyssey puts out.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #971 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just picked the 700 from my dealer
post #972 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Just picked the 700 from my dealer

Congrats!! We're waiting for impressions My 500 should be here tomorrow. Will be setup in my family room in a 2.1 configuration for now. My D2v won't let it into the HT
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #973 of 1261 Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Congrats!! We're waiting for impressions My 500 should be here tomorrow. Will be setup in my family room in a 2.1 configuration for now. My D2v won't let it into the HT
John

It is late here but I listened to 2 ch and enjoyed it very much . Someone needs to start an official thread. Very very happy so far. I had the 500 on ordered but I went for the amp.
post #974 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is late here but I listened to 2 ch and enjoyed it very much . Someone needs to start an official thread. Very very happy so far. I had the 500 on ordered but I went for the amp.

I gather you haven't run ARC yet?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #975 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
jayray.....just send your D2V over here for a visit.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #976 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I gather you haven't run ARC yet?
John

Too busy with work My friend is coming over this evening after work to do some more listening. I really like this AVR. I listened to Diana Krall CD this morning and have to go to work now.
post #977 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

jayray.....just send your D2V over here for a visit.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #978 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the amps in the 500 are more than enough for my family room
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #979 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 08:11 AM

I just got off the phone with Anthem support. I asked about the ARC and the video circuitry in the MRX.
He said the video upconversion is being done by Genesis Torino. He also said the ARC uses the same program as the AVMs and D's, but does not use dual core processsing so the number of filters will be reduced( lower resolution?).
I am paraphrasing but the message I get is it is not the same as " regular ARC". This might affect my decision to move away from Audyssey.

Carl
post #980 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingrass View Post

I just got off the phone with Anthem support. I asked about the ARC and the video circuitry in the MRX.
He said the video upconversion is being done by Genesis Torino. He also said the ARC uses the same program as the AVMs and D's, but does not use dual core processsing so the number of filters will be reduced( lower resolution?).
I am paraphrasing but the message I get is it is not the same as " regular ARC". This might affect my decision to move away from Audyssey.

Carl

We'll have to see how the results turn out as people start posting MRX ARC results charts, but it looks to me like you'll only be able to tell the difference if your room/speakers need a lot of correction. That is, for most folks, the ARC resources available in the MRX will do the job just fine, particularly as regards the bass portion of the ARC solution.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #981 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingrass View Post

Carl

I have seen a D2v ARC file converted to an MRX file and the processing on the sub was identical and the other speakers had more wiggles but still very good correction, so don't be too quick to judge. When I get mine today I'm taking it to a friends who has a Denon 4310 and do a direct comparison for movies and music.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #982 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I have seen a D2v ARC file converted to an MRX file and the processing on the sub was identical and the other speakers had more wiggles but still very good correction, so don't be too quick to judge. When I get mine today I'm taking it to a friends who has a Denon 4310 and do a direct comparison for movies and music.
John
I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on this.
post #983 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
John
John,

that sounds great. Very eager to hear of your results. I am picking up a 500 and will compare it to my Pioneer with the SMS-1 once I get it all setup.

Cheers.
post #984 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Just got my 700 installed and letting in run in for a while. One minor inconvenience, no S-video inputs for the old svhs vcr - will have to use composite. No big deal really.

Haven't run ARC yet, gotta go get a new 9pin to usb adapter - geez, they ship a nice tripod, heavy gauge 9 pin cable, but c'mon, for the extra $4 cost, they coulda shipped a 9pin/usb adapter and truly delighted the customer, rather than send me off to the freakin computer store... grrr...

Oh, it already sounds much better on 2ch stereo than the Denon 3311 I returned last weekend
post #985 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB007 View Post

Just got my 700 installed and letting in run in for a while. One minor inconvenience, no S-video inputs for the old svhs vcr - will have to use composite. No big deal really.

Haven't run ARC yet, gotta go get a new 9pin to usb adapter - geez, they ship a nice tripod, heavy gauge 9 pin cable, but c'mon, for the extra $4 cost, they coulda shipped a 9pin/usb adapter and truly delighted the customer, rather than send me off to the freakin computer store... grrr...

Oh, it already sounds much better on 2ch stereo than the Denon 3311 I returned last weekend

Congrats!!! Another happy Anthem owner. I think drhankz should put out some of those "dancing boys" for new owners.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #986 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my MRX 500 and off to test now.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #987 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 03:02 PM

J - Since you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable Anthem guys who is getting a new MRX, can we convince you to be the one who starts the new "MRX Owners" thread? I think we all would appreciate it!
post #988 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB007 View Post

My finding too
post #989 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexs View Post

J - Since you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable Anthem guys who is getting a new MRX, can we convince you to be the one who starts the new "MRX Owners" thread? I think we all would appreciate it!

I agree. An MRX owner who is also a seasoned D2V owner would be ideal and jayray has been valuable on this thread from the outset.
post #990 of 1261 Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Congrats!!! Another happy Anthem owner. I think drhankz should put out some of those "dancing boys" for new owners.
John

I wouldn't be too quick to judge the happy owner part. I've been f-ing around with 9pin/usb dongles for over an hour now on 2 laptops and am getting very pissed that Anthem didn't simply ship a 9 pin to usb cable in the box. Being Friday night of course I can't get hold of them to Monday.

On 1st laptop - usb adapter installs fine, ARC starts can't get past the find valid microphone message even tho it shows me the right serial number

on 2nd laptop usb adapter installs fine, then it can't mfnd the processor.

Anthem - get your head out of your ass and ship with the required cables for USB - period - this is so aggravating that you force this crap down my throat when I just plunked down close to $2K for your product dammit!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page