Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post

On the flip side, something that MRX has over AVM/D is that it automatically switches output to 1080p24 if the TV accepts it and source is 1080p24. Known recently revealed issue to go with it... if MRX is in Through mode it doesn't play nice with 24p-enabled Oppo BDP-83 with 24p. Easy fix with nothing to lose - don't use Through mode in MRX, use Auto or 1080p instead. Output resolution can be changed on the fly, but not while it's trying to sync. Software engineers are looking into it. 1080p plus Through does work with Anthem BLX 200 though. All a mystery for now.

I had some problems with a Panasonic DMP-BD80 sync'ing with my Epson HC6100 PJ when running a BD title at 1080p/24. Think I had the hdmi set to through. Will check when I get home Thursday night. It did eventually settle in and display, but it took almost 2 minutes to display the picture with a bunch of flashing screens and sometimes full screen snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGriff1051 View Post

Nick, question on ARC. ARC sets my crossover fairly high considering I have Paradigm S-6's. Does it make sense to use two subs as not to localize the sub when using a high crossover. It sets mine crossover at 100hz but others have had it set higher. I have no problem with high crossovers because it makes it easier on the amp in the Anthem but if you use one sub and the crossover is above 100hz the sub becomes easier to locate. Thanks for all your insight.

For any ARC result related inquiry please e-mail the .arc file (not screenshots) to tech@anthemav.com.

Since we know what S6 anechoic response is, we can look at your per-position measurements given the .arc file and try to determine what's happening with the room+speaker response.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #1173 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

once arc is finished, can the user change/modify the crossovers and channel levels of each channel (sub included) and still have arc doing its thing or will making any type changes disable arc?

also, other than audio one, can anyone tell me other GTA based anthem dealers?

thanks.

post #1174 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

once arc is finished, can the user change/modify the crossovers and channel levels of each channel (sub included) and still have arc doing its thing or will making any type changes disable arc?

thanks.

ARC will still be on but you will have ruined it's work if you are making these changes in the MRX. Make any changes in the ARC application, recalculate and upload. Changes to ARC aren't often recommended.
post #1175 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

All that and then some can be changed while the only setting that would disable ARC is changing "Room EQ" from On to Off. Before changing anything, listen with the ears not the eyes.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #1176 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

All that and then some can be changed while the only setting that would disable ARC is changing "Room EQ" from On to Off. Before changing anything, listen with the ears not the eyes.

Hello Nick,
I have been waiting for these receivers for A LONG TIME! I just wanted to know why you didn't include analog 5.1 inputs? Also do you have any idea of what on board Audio DAC's these receivers use. I am currently using a Onkyo 705, with a Oppo 83SE, via analog out's and I am afraid the Anthem will not sound as good with the Oppo via HDMI?
post #1177 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

thanks.

Trutone Electronics, Dundas Street, Mississauga, 905-279-3400

John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1178 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just bought the MRX300 this morning or I should say I put a deposit on one as Audio Ark in Edmonton didn't have stock yet.

Should be here in 2 weeks, which is right when my theater room is done.

I can't wait.

Jeff

p/s I'm using it as a pre-pro

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
post #1179 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by favorini View Post

I don't see any reason why a cheaper adapter wouldn't work, assuming it has a good driver (i.e., WHQL certified). The cheap Monoprice one is based on the Prolific chip, and they have a WHQL driver. The only other issue might be max speed, but I think ARC works all the way down to 1200 bps (slow), so not a problem.

Reading this and the other Anthem thread, it sure sounds like you have to buy the Keyspan adapter if you want it to work. It any adapter with a WHQL driver works, then that is great.

John
post #1180 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Can anyone tell me if these receivers come with a zone 2 remote?

"I told my wife my A/V habit was as enjoyable as our sex life and she never touched my equipment again."
post #1181 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post

ARC will still be on but you will have ruined it's work if you are making these changes in the MRX. Make any changes in the ARC application, recalculate and upload. Changes to ARC aren't often recommended.

i see your point. only reason i ask is because audyssey kept on putting my mains at 40hz where in fact they were only rated from 50hz and up. once i changed it to 60hz, it sounded punchier.

and if i want to set the crossovers at 100hz, i can set that up in arc first and then have it calculate everything based on that?

post #1182 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss21xd View Post

Can anyone tell me if these receivers come with a zone 2 remote?

The 500 does so I can be quite sure the 700 does too.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1183 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne View Post

I just bought the MRX300 this morning or I should say I put a deposit on one as Audio Ark in Edmonton didn't have stock yet.

Should be here in 2 weeks, which is right when my theater room is done.

I can't wait.

Jeff

p/s I'm using it as a pre-pro

Do you mean MRX 500? The 300 isn't in production yet.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1184 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

The 500 does so I can be quite sure the 700 does too.
John

Great news! Thanks Jayray!

"I told my wife my A/V habit was as enjoyable as our sex life and she never touched my equipment again."
post #1185 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Do you mean MRX 500? The 300 isn't in production yet.
John

No I mean the 300 as they told me it is due at the store within 10 days

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #1186 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne View Post

No I mean the 300 as they told me it is due at the store within 10 days

Jeff

Better call them because I think they're mistaken.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1187 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 PM

I will John, thanks for the heads up.

Jeff

Henry Ford
post #1188 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i see your point. only reason i ask is because audyssey kept on putting my mains at 40hz where in fact they were only rated from 50hz and up. once i changed it to 60hz, it sounded punchier.

and if i want to set the crossovers at 100hz, i can set that up in arc first and then have it calculate everything based on that?

Yes. But as Nick says let ARC do it's thing and then listen before making changes. ARC may not set your crossovers at 40hz.
post #1189 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audyssey is flakey when it comes to these kinds of settings. Let ARC do it's thing and then listen. That is the true test.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1190 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet View Post

Reading this and the other Anthem thread, it sure sounds like you have to buy the Keyspan adapter if you want it to work. It any adapter with a WHQL driver works, then that is great.

There's no requirement to use the Keyspan, but it has been used by many and it seems to work well. That peace of mind is enough to justify the extra $20-30 for many people.
post #1191 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Has anyone done any ARC testing to restrict the highest frequency of the default correction range to a lower frequency (e.g. 500Hz)?

I have noted in research by both Dr. Toole and Dr. Olive related to room correction/equalisation and well designed/engineered speakers (like Paradigm/Revel etc. who use extensive use of anechoic chambers to properly evaluate their speakers) their expert opinions on where to properly apply equalisation.

I have just ordered an MRX 500 and hopefully my store in Ottawa will get it in soon.. so I am busy doing technical research on ARC in order to maximise its potential application within my listening area.

In the Dr. Olive Audio Musings blog he has a comment:

Quote:

Finally, if you own Revel Salons, they don't need any equalization except below 300 Hz where the room dominates what you hear If you own good loudspeakers, you should focus on correcting the low frequency acoustical interactions between the loudspeaker and room.

In Dr. Toole's Science in the service of art paper (page 25) he states:

Quote:

There are some things equalization can and cannot do:
1. It can help with some, but not all, loudspeaker problems. With comprehensive labo- ratory measurements (like Figs. 9–12) to work from, equalization can be used to make a good speaker sound better. Once a loudspeaker is in a normal room, we lose the ability to measure it in ways that allow us to be totally analytical. Without knowing what is wrong, we don’t know whether equalization is the right solution for the problem. For example, equalization can change frequency response, but it cannot change directivity, yet together they determine the basic shape of a room curve. Poor directivity control, as a function of frequency, can only be cured by using a better loudspeaker. In general, if the speaker has been competently designed, it should probably be left alone at frequencies above about 300 to 500 Hz, whatever the room-curves look like. Since all manufacturers claim to be compe- tent, consumers have a problem. Automated equalization systems that are not dedicated to specific loudspeakers have a problem. They have no special “inside information” about the loudspeakers, so those that make adjustments over the whole audio frequency range are, as they say in ’Vegas, rolling the dice. Caveat Emptor.

So my question is (and I will definitely test my hypothesis using the default and my own high limit(s) when I get my MRX500) would ARC react better if I restrict the high frequency default correction range to say 500Hz as opposed to the current 5kHz? Curious as to any testing/thoughts/opinion.

Cheers.

P.S. I posted this in the MRX thread as ARC has less processing in the MRX models compared to the Statement series.

Tony
post #1192 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Has anyone done any ARC testing to restrict the highest frequency of the default correction range to a lower frequency (e.g. 500Hz)?

I have noted in research by both Dr. Toole and Dr. Olive related to room correction/equalisation and well designed/engineered speakers (like Paradigm/Revel etc. who use extensive use of anechoic chambers to properly evaluate their speakers) their expert opinions on where to properly apply equalization.

I have just ordered an MRX 500 and hopefully my store in Ottawa will get it in soon.. so I am busy doing technical research on ARC in order to maximise its potential application within my listening area.

So my question is (and I will definitely test my hypothesis using the default and my own high limit(s) when I get my MRX500) would ARC react better if I restrict the high frequency default correction range to say 500Hz as opposed to the current 5kHz? Curious as to any testing/thoughts/opinion.

Cheers.

P.S. I posted this in the MRX thread as ARC has less processing in the MRX models compared to the Statement series.

Tony

Leave it at 5K. That research was done a while ago and ARC has greatly improved since it's first versions. Anthem has tested extensively and their recommendation is to leave it at 5k and enjoy. This is what I use for both my D2v and MRX 500.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #1193 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Doing a little research you can find the Keyspan device for much cheaper than list - search on 'USA-19HS ', I got one from Amazon for $30.
post #1194 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

I have noted in research by both Dr. Toole and Dr. Olive related to room correction/equalisation and well designed/engineered speakers (like Paradigm/Revel etc. who use extensive use of anechoic chambers to properly evaluate their speakers) their expert opinions on where to properly apply equalization.

Cheers.

Tony

I'm also in Ottawa and interested in one of these receivers. Where did you order from and how much?
post #1195 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Specs on page 39... 4.9 Vrms max output at 0.1% THD. It's more than enough.

Hi Nick, is this all the pre-outs? I'm specifically looking for the subwoofer pre out voltage as I am using a pro audio style amp that needs higher voltage to drive it.

Thanks!
post #1196 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post

I'm also in Ottawa and interested in one of these receivers. Where did you order from and how much?

Stereo Plus and Design in Orleans.

Cheers.
post #1197 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

is there any release date (in canada) for the 300? i went to a local shop but they did not know anything yet. im stoked to get one. hopefully it will be better than my denon 4310 as i won't be able to audition the piece in my home first.

post #1198 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
is there any release date (in canada) for the 300? i went to a local shop but they did not know anything yet. im stoked to get one. hopefully it will be better than my denon 4310 as i won't be able to audition the piece in my home first.
I seem to remember December but I think it will be January before it's in stores.
post #1199 of 1261 Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:

thanks.

Audio Excellence carries the line.

Kromer Radio too.
post #1200 of 1261 Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I spent some time yesterday at my Anthem Dealer's and he and I did some time listening/viewing between the MRX700 and a AVM40/MCA5 pair of separates. Speakers were Paradigm Studios. The 700 was new out of the box and probably still needs some breaking in/burn in time, but we were both greatly impressed with the 700. I will report more fully when I have the unit placed in my own system for demo this weekend. Right now, I would simply state that the wait for the Anthem Receiver has been worth it. Anthem appears to have produced a winner.

Stan
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page