Audyssey DSX vs Dolby pro logic llz???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i am using an Onkyo pr-sc5507 and have a 9.3 set up ! And i have a few days to test the front height speaker between DSX and pro logic llz! The result is DSX has more effect than pro logic llz height! and any one can tell me how about the DSX front wide should sound like? Is it better to have a wide more than have a height? But with DSX , there will don't have THX modes i can use with! Only pro logic llz can use with THX mode! thanks for giving some suggestion here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Audyssey recommends the wide speakers as more effective over the height. You might find this article more informative on the issue as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody have try both height or width ? Which one better? Thx
post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangcoma View Post

Anybody have try both height or width ? Which one better? Thx

You have the ability to determine this yourself right in front of you. Don't take anyone's word which is better for you. Try it yourself and see which YOU prefer.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Lastly! I have spent 3 hours to change the height setting to wide setting! I move my pair of AAD floor stand surround back speakers to front wide right now, and move pair of AAD bookshelf to surround back channel! The difference is huge! After two days testing, I think the front wide channel is much better than the front height provided! The soundstage now is so full now! I am never want to switch off the DSX right now! If people there that u 've got a amp that support DSX, I am highly recommend that u must install the front wide channel to your listening area! But actually compare with the front height, thare I have some view that I want to tell! The front height is a good set up too, after u have listening the height set up, the sound stage is more natural, the front area of your listening area is go deeper and higher! And the front wide is Make the the front channel and the surround channel have a very good connection between them! And the sound is really go form very left to very right! You can noctice it easily! So do u guys know wht am I saying? That mean the frond wide provide a direct sound that u are very easily to hear than the front height provide! I know that the front height is not to provide a very noticeable sound according to Dolby website! So the front wide is more exciting than front height! So the DSX is recooment the first level is u must have a front wide first! Hope this can help some people that make confuse of this new surround format!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everything I've read suggests that the most pronounced surround effect comes from the sides, but also that our hearing is most sensitive to sounds in front of and besides us. You would imagine then that height matrixing would work a lot better than reviewers have reported thus far, but it sounds (from those review) like there are a few reasons why it doesn't:

1.) It's not discrete, so
2.) there isn't much/any material encoded to take advantage of it, and
3.) our brain does a pretty convincing matrix of height information all on it's own - based on the psycho-acoustic illusion that happens as we watch the action on the screen. The same phenomena that localizes speech on screen... Your vision provides powerful directional cues...

The primary advantage of the height and or width seem to be in filling out the sound stage and ambient environment, particularly in larger rooms.

One interesting note I'd like to know more about is whether any of these receivers are capable of matrixing high resolution signals 24/192, or whether they must down convert to 48Khz before applying this type of processing?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the issue is with content and height would be utilized far less than wides. Maybe in a movie where there is rain will the heights really be used. And a good speaker can generally convey a sense of height anyway, though not as much as speakers on the ceiling.

What you should really be doing is building a 11.3 system with wides AND heights.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 167
"our brain does a pretty convincing matrix of height information all on it's own - based on the psycho-acoustic illusion that happens as we watch the action on the screen. The same phenomena that localizes speech on screen... Your vision provides powerful directional cues..."

That doesn't quite hold water for the height scenario.

I agree that if you see something onscreen, our brains help make the sound appear to be coming from there, but for height their is no visible cue to do this.

Noah
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 126
In our comparison of DPL2Z to DSX, we found that the height speakers made the room sound more spacious and less room-like. The listening room simply sounded more open..

Note that it is pertinent to keep the levels of the height speakers lower, bring the level up just enough so that you can audibly hear their contribution. In other systems with height speakers we have heard, we found that they were set up with their levels too high for the height speakers..

Just my $0.01..
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

In our comparison of DPL2Z to DSX, we found that the height speakers made the room sound more spacious and less room-like. The listening room simply sounded more open..

Which, DPLIIz or DSX, or both?

Noah
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page