Video difference between Denon 2310CI and 3310CI worth the price difference? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My Onkyo TX-SR605 is having issues, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Instead of buying something at an entry level range, such as the 607, I'm looking at the Denon AVR2310CI and AVR3310CI.

I poured over the individual threads, but really couldn't find a definitive answer to my question.

Audio processing/power differences aside, my question turns to the video processing side.

Right now my gear consists of a Toshiba 42HL167, four Klipsch KLF10s, a RC-3 center channel, and a Klipsch KSW-12. I have a TiVo HD, PS3, Toshiba HD-A2 and a Wii.

As far as the Wii goes, I use component, but the video doesn't matter to me since the graphics are 'basic' compared to the PS3/360.

Everything else will be connected via HDMI.

My wife does watch a good amount of SD material both on DVD and TiVo, so I want something that will help as much as possible. I'm not expecting miracles, but I just don't want to hurt the video either.

This receiver needs to last me for the next few years, so I don't want to waste an opportunity, but the price difference where I intend to buy is $450.

Will the difference between the ABT 2010 and VRS be that worth it?

Mr Zoid.

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

My Onkyo TX-SR605 is having issues, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Instead of buying something at an entry level range, such as the 607, I'm looking at the Denon AVR2310CI and AVR3310CI.

I poured over the individual threads, but really couldn't find a definitive answer to my question.

Audio processing/power differences aside, my question turns to the video processing side.

Right now my gear consists of a Toshiba 42HL167, four Klipsch KLF10s, a RC-3 center channel, and a Klipsch KSW-12. I have a TiVo HD, PS3, Toshiba HD-A2 and a Wii.

As far as the Wii goes, I use component, but the video doesn't matter to me since the graphics are 'basic' compared to the PS3/360.

Everything else will be connected via HDMI.

My wife does watch a good amount of SD material both on DVD and TiVo, so I want something that will help as much as possible. I'm not expecting miracles, but I just don't want to hurt the video either.

This receiver needs to last me for the next few years, so I don't want to waste an opportunity, but the price difference where I intend to buy is $450.

Will the difference between the ABT 2010 and VRS be that worth it?

Mr Zoid.

For that price difference you would better served by getting the 2310 and a DVDO Edge. Or even the 1910 and the Edge. The Edge isn't handcuffed for its implementation as the video processors in AVR's are. The Edge will do the conversions you want.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Don't the 2310 and 3310 have the same video processor? the ABT2010?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

For that price difference you would better served by getting the 2310 and a DVDO Edge. Or even the 1910 and the Edge. The Edge isn't handcuffed for its implementation as the video processors in AVR's are. The Edge will do the conversions you want.

I would love to, but the 'finance committee' is allowing this one purchase.

In theory would the 2310 suffice until I can convince her of a Edge (or other processor/scaler) purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Don't the 2310 and 3310 have the same video processor? the ABT2010?

The only words I've found for sure describe the 2310 processor as the ABT2010, and the 3310 having an ABT VRS.

Mr Zoid

post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 11:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
VRS is simply one of the features of the ABT 2010 chip. If you look at the Denon website here, you'll note that the 2310, 3310, 4310, and 4810 all have the ABT 2010 chip.

I'd agree with Phantom, in that the ABT 2010 chip is heavily restricted in it's implementation in these AVRs whereas in the DVDO Edge, all features are fully implemented (providing even better SD video upscaling quality). Considering your budget appears to be $1000 (3310), depending on your other requirements, I'd suggest you consider the Denon 1610 (no video upscaling but still has HD audio processing) and the DVDO Edge, both of which together can be had for roughly what you would pay for the 3310. The difference in power between the 1610 (75W) and the 1910 (90W) or your 605 (90W) would be moot, especially as your Klipsch speakers are so efficient (98db), not requiring much power to push them.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the responses so far.

However, I should reveal one more fact that I neglected to post in the first place.

I can buy an audio receiver only, and it needs to be from Best Buy.

If any of the receivers up to the $1500 price range would fit my needs video wise, let me know and I'll consider.

Mr Zoid

post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
You're likely not going to see any difference in the 1910 chip vs. the 2310/3310 chip as far as SD processing is concerned, rather the 2310/3310 chip improves on HD upscaling. I'm guessing the "finance committee" would approve a lower end AVR purchase (eg 1610) along with the DVDO Edge purchase once it's known the DVDO Edge would out perform ANY of the AVR choices you're considering, not to mention the DVDO Edge is available at Best Buy Magnolia stores. Your local Best Buy Magnolia store should be able to provide a demo of the 1910, 2310, 3310 and the DVDO Edge so you can both see for yourself.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry that I haven't posted back in the last day and a half.

The issue is the nearest Best Buy/Magnolia store is 2 hours away.

Additionally Best Buy does not sell it online. At least that I've found.

Mr Zoid

post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Zoid -

A few thoughts:

1) the 2310 and 3310 have IDENTICAL video capabilities, as already noted above

2) you do not have the equipment to properly take advantage of an AVR video processing solution for SD DVD. Neither of your devices (PS3 or HD-A2) can output DVD as 480i over HDMI, which is required to take full advantage of external VP in the AVR. Both can only output SD DVD as 480p, which means the hardest part (deinterlacing) has already been done by the source device. If the ABT chip in the receiver can't get the raw 480i signal via HDMI, it isn't going to be able to help much as the biggest improvement will be in the superior deinterlacing capabilities. The scaling part (480p > 1080p) is relatively easy.

3) Furthermore, on a 42" display, you are unlikely to see a lick of difference between the DVD upscaling of your PS3 or A2 (both of which are well above average) and that of the ABT chip in the Denons. I have very similar gear -- HD-A20, PS3, and a Denon 2310 -- and on a 50" plasma I can't tell much of an difference between any of my upscaling options.

4) The Tivo would be the one device you could utilize, since it can output 480i SD channels over HDMI, but don't expect any miracles with SD cable channels beyond what your Tivo and/or TV is already doing. Again, on a 42" display, you are really unlikely to see any major differences with a better scaler. You may also see some improvement with the converted component signal from the Wii, the Denon 2310/3310 will do a nice job with the 480p component signal.

The only exception to all of the above were to be if you went with the DVDO Edge, which would probably provide some improvements as it is a much more sophisticated solution. For example, it has a technology (PreP) which can reverse and reconstruct poor deinterlacing, so it could salvage the 480p signal from the A2 or PS3 and redo the interlacing/scaling properly.

Bottom line: if video quality is REALLY important to you, get a video processor. Do not expect an AVR to be a real substitute. But even if you do get a VP, do not expect any major improvements on such a small display. I honestly think a VP is somewhat of a waste of money unless you upgrade to a much larger display.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarifications.

It indeed sounds like I can look at a unit such as the 1910.

Mr Zoid.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page