Question on Emotiva XPA-3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to use the XPA-3 to Power My fronts (RF-52) and my Center (RC-52)
the speakers are rated at 100w/400w peak & 125w/500w peak the XPA-3 is rated at 200w per channel my question is if that overpowering the speakers can damage them, also im using a onkyo 875 rated at 140w per channel so is it worth the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The "200w" rating of the amp is effectively it's peak (it's where distortion reaches a clearly audible point and and you'll want to stop turning it up, anyway). If your speakers are rated by the manufacturer for 400w or 500w peaks, you shouldn't have a lot to worry about, especially for watching TV or movies.

Be careful with playing music at extremly high levels, though. Due to it's sustained nature, you may find yourself exceeding the 100w and 125w continuous ratings of the speaker. Depending on how sensitive your speakers are, though, you'll probably damage your hearing before you damage your speakers.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM

Liked: 42
While agreeing with the above comments I would differ slightly on the 200 watt peak idea. It depends on how a company designs and markets their products and Emotiva rates theirs conservatively. That means this amp will do 200 watts x 3 channels from 5hz to 20,000hz @ .01% THD. It can be pushed above that easily, but the THD will start to rise, I believe the human ear detects distortion at around 1%.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by _taz_ View Post

I want to use the XPA-3 to Power My fronts (RF-52) and my Center (RC-52)
the speakers are rated at 100w/400w peak & 125w/500w peak the XPA-3 is rated at 200w per channel my question is if that overpowering the speakers can damage them, also im using a onkyo 875 rated at 140w per channel so is it worth the upgrade.

Let's assume the speaker ratings are correct (I sometimes wonder about that.)

At 200 watts of output from the Emotiva continuous, your are exceeding the speaker's continuous power ratings. This, in theory, will damage your speakers if carried on long enough.

However, you are not going to be playing at 200 watts continuous. Because your would likely be into hard clipping. Not because the amp can't handle 200 watts continuous, but because peaks levels are typically much higher than average levels. A movie can have a dynamic range of 20 dB. That calls for over 64 times the power at momentary peak levels as you would need at average level. You can see the math here - if you were averaging 200 watts of power draw, peak draw could be MUCH higher, and beyond the amp's limits, so you would clip the amp.

There is one type of source material I would be a bit careful with. Music. Some music has a relatively low peak to average level. In the worst case, maybe only 6 dB. That's an uncomfortable safety margin if you are playing your system very loud. It does not give the speaker drivers as much time to cool off.

You should not listen to music over 85 dB for extended periods anyway, or you can suffer hearing damage.

In summary, you should be fine. And excessive sound levels should be avoided for hearing safety as well as speaker safety in most situations

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page