Older receiver, 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just purchased a new LCD, and Blu Ray player, and am curious if I can use an older receiver and still get 5.1 sound. I do not want to buy anything new because the TV and Blu Ray player stretched my finances as far as I want to stretch them What I am looking to do is buy a used receiver that is 5.1 capable, and use optical or coax to connect the audio. My cable box only has an optical output, but the BR player has optical and coax.

Can anyone recommend a decent older receiver that would suit my needs? I am a bit out of the loop on audio equipment, my last purchase for home audio was over 20 years ago !! I would imagine a lot of people are upgrading to HDMI capable receivers, and I should be able to buy a quality older receiver at a good price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePMo View Post

I just purchased a new LCD, and Blu Ray player, and am curious if I can use an older receiver and still get 5.1 sound. I do not want to buy anything new because the TV and Blu Ray player stretched my finances as far as I want to stretch them What I am looking to do is buy a used receiver that is 5.1 capable, and use optical or coax to connect the audio. My cable box only has an optical output, but the BR player has optical and coax.

Can anyone recommend a decent older receiver that would suit my needs? I am a bit out of the loop on audio equipment, my last purchase for home audio was over 20 years ago !! I would imagine a lot of people are upgrading to HDMI capable receivers, and I should be able to buy a quality older receiver at a good price.

What is your limited budget for a receiver?

What Blu-ray player did you get? Does it decode the lossless to PCM?

post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

What is your limited budget for a receiver?

What Blu-ray player did you get? Does it decode the lossless to PCM?

I would like to keep it under $150 if possible. I have the Sony BDP-S360 Blu Ray player, not sure about the lossless over PCM....I have no idea what that means, haha, sorry, as I said, I am out of the loop on home audio.

EDIT: looked in the manual, and it says something in the audio section about LPCM, is that what you mean?
post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

That player will decode the lossless audio formats so you can get the best sound as long as your receiver has HDMI audio in.

Where do you live?

You should be looking on craigslist.

post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I live near St Louis, Mo. U S A, have been checking craigs list daily, haha, but most stuff on there is older, or out of my budget. My cable box has no HDMI, just component, which is fine. And the new receivers that ARE in my budget, do not do audio thru HDMI, just video.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Increase your budget to $250 - $300 and there are several Onkyo and Marantz options at accessories4less.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If your budget is locked at $150 or so, an older HDMI 1.1 receiver is the best way to go, as you'll get the full lossless audio from BluRay with your player handling the decoding process. If you can't find any HDMI 1.1 models, a digital coax or optical connection is close enough. BD still sounds better over the older connections than DVD does due to the higher bitrate used on BD.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePMo View Post

Ebay is your friend.

Auctions under $150

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=5.1...dlo=&_udhi=150

Buy It Now under $150

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Price...=p3286.c0.m301
post #9 of 13 Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'd buy an Onkyo 307 or 506 ($169 & 199) from A4L.com first. Refurbished and come with a warranty.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 01-21-2010, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 382
What speakers do you have?

You could get a Denon 589 for $130 with 1 year mfrs warranty. Has two HDMI inputs but doesn't do HDMI audio. You could connect your blu ray player and cable box with optical for audio.
http://www.dakmart.com/product_info....ducts_id=11039

with a low end system I really don't think it matters much if you're doing lossless audio or not. Dolby Digital thru blu ray is still very, very good, better than standard DVD audio.

Afro GT
post #11 of 13 Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What speakers do you have?

You could get a Denon 589 for $130 with 1 year mfrs warranty. Has two HDMI inputs but doesn't do HDMI audio. You could connect your blu ray player and cable box with optical for audio.
http://www.dakmart.com/product_info....ducts_id=11039

with a low end system I really don't think it matters much if you're doing lossless audio or not. Dolby Digital thru blu ray is still very, very good, better than standard DVD audio.

I still have to buy speakers too. Thanks for the link, that looks like a pretty nice receiver. So, would you suggest that I just use optical for audio, but not send the video through the receiver? Or should I connect the cable box and Blu Ray player to the receiver too? ( component cables for cable box, HDMI for Blu Ray )
post #12 of 13 Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 368
If you have only cable and a single disc player, I suggest hooking all video signals directly to the display and only audio connections to the receiver. If you have more input devices (e.g. computer and gaming system) I urge that you raise your budget for the receiver.

When using analog video (i.e. component video), it's best for signal quality to minimize the total number of intermediate connections (i.e. connect analog signals directly to the display).

When using digital signals, the signal quality itself should be unchanged when there are intermediate connections. (There sometimes are HDMI sync issues, though.)

For convenience, it's best to send audio and video through the same control point (the receiver). Some (more expensive) receivers include component-to-HDMI transcoding, so if you get one of those, you'll need only a single HDMI cable connecting from the receiver to the display.

At your price point, however, transcoding probably is not available. As a result, you'll need additional component cables to connect the receiver to the display. Since you'll need to select different inputs on the display anyhow (component or HDMI) you will already have lost the convenience of a central video switch.

Selden
post #13 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, what would you think about this combo? It's well within my budget, all I'd need to buy are two optical cables for audio. I know the speakers are a bit small, but I am certain it will sound miles better than the TVs speakers, and I could always upgrade in the future.

http://www.dakmart.com/product_info....ducts_id=11296

Or maybe just buy the receiver and this set of bostons for a bit more? http://www.dakmart.com/product_info....ducts_id=11296
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page