Denon AVR 590 Setup Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a HTIB set with a Denon AVR 590. I have most of the setup working but some minor issues are annoying me a bit.
  1. I don't have a DVR or digital cable box, I just take my coax and run it to my TV for basic cable. What's the easiest way to pipe this through the receiver so I can get basic cable audio and/or video through the receiver instead of having to change inputs on my TV itself and use its speakers for audio?
  2. I used to use a pair of wireless headphones (L/R audio cables) that I would plug directly into my TV or PC depending on where the audio was coming from. What's the best way to redirect the receiver's audio out to these headphones?
  3. Is there any kind of "simulated surround" setting on the receiver for using the surround speakers when listening to stereo audio? For example, I'd like to be able to take the Tuner AM/FM radio input and get that to come out of my surround speakers as well as the front & center speakers.
  4. Is there a way to equalize the volume between sources? I find that when I listen to audio from my PC (optical input to the receiver) I need to turn the receiver volume way up. Then, when I switch to the Tuner AM/FM radio input, the volume is ridiculously loud unless I remember to turn it way down before changing sources. I thought this AVR had a feature to normalize input volumes so this didn't happen?

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
1. There's really no benefit to route the TV broacast video to the 590 as there is no video upscaling done with this model. If you had the 790 (which does upscale to 1080p), you could route the coax to a VCR or DVD player that had a TV tuner and then run separate video and audio cables out to the AVR. You could do that with the 590 as well if you choose. At the very least you can connect either a RCA or optical cable from the TV to the 590 and play audio through your surround system while muting your TV speakers. If you can receive OTA channels (roof antenna), you would be able to get DD 5.1 with an optical cable from the TV to the 590, otherwise SD channels would only pass PCM 2.0 over the optical.
2. Connect the wireless transmitter to the VCR OUT jacks although you must then connect an RCA cable from each source (eg TV) as only analog audio will pass through the VCR out.
3. You have your choice of using either Dolby's simulated surround sound (DD PLII) or the various DSP modes (SIMU button) that Denon uses. The generally used surround mode is Dolby's STANDARD (STD) which would take a stereo signal and simulate DD 5.1 using DD PLII.
4. Input source volume can be increased or decreased by 12db for each source including the TUNER. Refer to your Owner's Manual for futher instructions.

For more informationa and any additional questions, please join us in the Official 1610/590 Owner's Thread.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page