Definitive Tech STS speakers - Best Receiver for $2000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

going to get the definitive technology ST speakers. But am still scratching my head for the best receiver/amp.

Requirements
- Music and home theater usage
- Music/Sound quality first priority
- Should be strong enough to power 5.1 or 7.1 setup
- Price range from $1500 to $2200

What I am currently considering:
- Marantz SR8002
- Arcam AVR (is it me or is their website confusing as hell??)
- NAD T765 or T775
- Rotel RSX-1560

Not interested in the Denon and Pioneer - I already Xed them out... Also, I would be open to separates as well, if it can fit them in this budget... Thanks for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

for the record, I will most likely go for 2 or 4 in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds (wife acceptance factor). Leaning towards the definitive technology UIW RSS II or UIW RSS III or DI 5.5BPS in-ceiling speakers...
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Yamaha Z11 on Saturdays at Newegg. Onkyo 3007/5007 are good choices to look into. The Yamaha Z11 is a monster, so you would need plenty of room for it. Or for separates go for a lesser model AVR and an amp from Emotiva. There are many AVR/amp combos you could buy in your price range. Onkyo 807/RC180 and UPA7 for 7.1 or 7.2. Same AVR or even the NR1007 and XPA5 for 5.1 or 5.2. You have a lot of options open for you with that budget. My choice would be the Z11 or the Onkyo 5007 in that order. Especially for the price that Z11 is selling for on Saturdays.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The Emotiva UMC-1 may be something to look at if they get the bugs worked out - and they probably will - how long that takes is the question. Paired up with one of their 5 or 7 channel amps and you'd have a potent combination. Another prepro to look at is the Integra DHC 40.1 for about $1k - it has internet radio - firmware updates via the net - and Audyssey MultEQ room correction. I'd still look to Emotiva for power - for the price they can't be beat.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM

I just bought the Yamaha Z11 from New Egg on Saturday, the 16th. PM me for the details. Works great with my Def Techs.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

hey guys , thanks very much for your replies/recommendations, but I have to admit I am a little confused: at the $2000 price point, dont you think the likes of marantz/NAD/Arcam/Rotel would have better sound quality than Yamaha and Onkyo ????
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo11 View Post

hey guys , thanks very much for your replies/recommendations, but I have to admit I am a little confused: at the $2000 price point, dont you think the likes of marantz/NAD/Arcam/Rotel would have better sound quality than Yamaha and Onkyo ????

Why would you think that? All of the recommendations you got were from good quality CE's. They were all virtually in your price range. They all use very good to excellent components that are as good as the ones you mentioned. Some are better than the ones you mentioned. The Z11 from Yamaha was a $5K+ AVR just last year. The 2 Onkyos are their top-of-the-line this year. The UMC1 from Emotiva will problably be as good whenever the kinks are worked out. That along with one or two of their amps will be a system that will compete with anything that cost 3 or 4x's that amt. of money. Don't fall for the name game anymore, they all build quality gear now, in the range you are looking. As a matter of fact some your choices are behind the curve so to speak.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page