Best AVR for Linux with HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. This is my first post on AVS (actually, my first post on any online forum). I'm happy to be here.

I'm currently running XBMC on Fedora 11 for my HTPC. My video card is an nVidia 8400GS running nVidia's proprietary (downloaded from nVidia.com) driver version 190.53, and I'm outputting the video successfully from that card at 1900 x 1080 via a DVI to HDMI cable to a Philips 42 inch LCD (model number 42PFL7422D/37). I'm outputting sound to my TV with a simple RCA cable.

So far, everything works great - I have not experienced any HDCP issues between my TV (which, according to the TV's manual, DOES support HDCP) and my Linux PC/Graphics card (which, like all Linux distros, does NOT support HDCP).

However, I would like to add an A/V receiver to my setup, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has has any luck sending video at 1900x1080 from a Linux PC to a receiver over HDMI.

I'm asking because -- although I can get video at1900x1080 from my non-HDCP PC to my HDCP-TV -- the manuals for the receivers I've been considering (e.g. Pioneer VSX-819, VSX-919, and Denon 1610, to name a few) appear to suggest that video from non-HDCP sources will not be output properly. Thus, I'm hoping someone has had luck running HDMI video from Linux to an AVR.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 01:55 PM

I run MythTV (Mythbuntu 9.10 to be exact) via HDMI to my Denon AVR 790 with no issues. I also use an Nvidia card, not sure exactly which model, no problem outputting 1080i to my LCD.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well, I don't think all sources use HDCP. For example, I had an issue with a Gefen HDMI box which presented a constant HDMI sink when connected to my TV. Turned out to be that I had HDCP turned off. My 360 would work, but my DVR would not work.

Which led me to believe my 360 was not using HDCP, and worked fine. My DVR would not work properly until I enabled HDCP on the Gefen device.

I would not not bet my life on my theory, though.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

OK, many thanks. If I understand it, HDMI to the receiver shouldn't be a problem, but adding another component like a Blu-ray player into the mix (that new Oppo looks very tempting) might cause issues, in which case I can temporarily unplug the PC.

Now to decide on a receiver...
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think any downstream HDCP devices will have problems with non-HDCP sources. It's HDCP sources that have problems with downstream non-HDCP devices.

You shouldn't have any problems connecting a separate HDCP source to the receiver, either, so long as all downstream devices are HDCP-enabled. Any receiver that couldn't handle having both HDCP and non-HDCP devices connected at the same time would be defective.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

To follow up: I ended up getting the Denon AVR-1610. I plugged the HDMI cable and RCA cable from the PC into the receiver, and output the video via HDMI. The image is output at the correct 1900 x 1080 resolution, however, the video will go blank for about a second every sixty seconds or so and the TV will display a "No Video Signal" message. No big deal....I just send the PC's HDMI video cable directly into the TV and send the audio to the receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page