Receiver Voting Thread!!!! - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: My proposed list (in alphabetical order)
Anthem 0 0%
Denon 0 0%
Harman Kardon 0 0%
Marantz 0 0%
NAD 0 0%
Onkyo 0 0%
Pioneer 0 0%
Rotel 0 0%
Sony 0 0%
Yamaha 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 73 Old 02-02-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have been lurking on this forum for a while and one thing that I keep thinking would be really useful (at least to me) is a thread where people can vote on their favorite receivers.

So with that intro, I propose this thread. I think voting for the receiver you like (and have had experience with) would be best. Although there isn't really any way to control that.

Also, I am not an expert and I am going to miss some model numbers, if you think they should be on here let me know...that includes past models that are so awesome they are still your favorite. (although I think we are limited to ten things to vote for)

Ok just thought about this some more...lets just do favorite brand you have personally owned or experienced first...then if anybody cares we can do specific models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I have to say you will learn nothing from this. But I will vote.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 73 Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

arcam
post #4 of 73 Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

arcam...to replace which other one?

Also, why can't I (or anyone else) learn something from this? Just because its broad doesn't mean it won't be useful to some people.
post #5 of 73 Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

its basically a popularity poll of who owns or owned what.

i voted arcam but it wasnt listed. i wasnt suggesting replacing any of the brands.

also there are just to many brands to be listed in a ten part poll. you can tell the most popular brands with model numbers by just looking at the forum and whats listed. hope this helps you out.
post #6 of 73 Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Have any of you other members, when you first came to this site (or hobby) wanted to learn about who has had the best experiences with their receivers....without wading through over a million posts?

For instance, just the "Marantz SR4001/5001/7001/8001" thread has over 2600 posts (90 pages)...
post #7 of 73 Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 128
No box for Bose..

Just my $0.01..
post #8 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another nonsensical poll.

Reality Based.
post #9 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoof017 View Post

So I have been lurking on this forum for a while and one thing that I keep thinking would be really useful (at least to me) is a thread where people can vote on their favorite receivers.

Useful how? Everyone will vote for the receiver they currently own. I'd like to vote for Telefunken, why isn't that on the list?
post #10 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mar67 View Post

Useful how? Everyone will vote for the receiver they currently own. I'd like to vote for Telefunken, why isn't that on the list?

Well I can't control how people vote...ideally people would vote for their "favorite" or the "best" receiver they have owned. If they vote for the one they currently own because they like it then cool. But I am sure there are senior and junior members on here alike who have had multiple receivers and have liked one more than another. To capture that kind of information outside of a poll would require reading until my eyes bleed...and I read enough at work that I would much rather avoid killing myself at home as a part of my hobby.

Maybe this won't be useful to everyone...but it will probably be useful to someone. So whats the big deal?

Thanks for chiming in everyone
post #11 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

oh and Telenfunken isn't on the list because I'd never heard of it...should it replace something else on the list?
post #12 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

so after you finish this poll are you going to make another one with ten denon model numbers?
post #13 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter View Post

so after you finish this poll are you going to make another one with ten denon model numbers?

if there is any interest for it...sure. I guess I would start with the "favorites" from this poll and see where it leads.
post #14 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if there is any interest for it...sure. I guess I would start with the "favorites" from this poll and see where it leads.

your top 3 are going to be denon, pioneer, and onkyo.
post #15 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

your top 3 are going to be denon, pioneer, and onkyo.

Got that right!

I've owned B&K (Ref. 50 & Ref. 70) but can't vote for it. Yes, I know this is a receiver poll but I figure the 707 would sound identical.

ck
post #16 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM

Denon a favorite , you must be kidding, denons factory is outputting buggy firmware AVRs at a alarming rate, This wouldn't be to bad if the user could easly update the firmware. These units must be shipped back to a service center at the buyers expense, even if its still under warranty. I've been a fan of denon hardware for sometime now, but things have changed and its time to re-evaluate denons products as new customer satisfaction must be falling like a rock. A service port or CD driven firmware update system would ease my fear of getting a lemon right out of the box. Denon needs a wake-up-call.
xx09 /xx9 and now the new xx10 / xx0 AVR units
post #17 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kane View Post

Got that right!

I've owned B&K (Ref. 50 & Ref. 70) but can't vote for it. Yes, I know this is a receiver poll but I figure the 707 would sound identical.

ck

Which was your favorite? I can always make a second one if we have more brands worth including...
post #18 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 AM

I would have to say it would be my Pioneer vsx4800 which i have had for around 20 years with no problems. PS I just broke down and ordered the Pioneer VSX9040 hope it turns out to be just as good
post #19 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
does anthem make an avr? another vote for arcam.
post #20 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

does anthem make an avr?

they sure do, but it comes in two seperate pieces.
post #21 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Where's the love for Yamaha? They could be great again, one of these days! They have treated me well, up to now.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #22 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I have been happy with my Denon 3808ci-ez to update through internet and has enough hdmi inputs for me. B4 that I owned a Kenwood.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #23 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

they sure do, but it comes in two seperate pieces.

oops...since that (Anthem) isn't a "Receiver" should it be removed from the vote and replaced with Arcam? or something else?
post #24 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM

I voted but the poll is usless. Go audition some equiptment and listen for what sounds best to you. There are many good brands and some may be better at one price point but not another price point i.e. Piooner elite are well regarded but the non elite people tend to not gravitate towards. Pick your speakers, figure out what features you need / may need and audition packages until you find the right solution for you.

Mark
post #25 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

oops...since that (Anthem) isn't a "Receiver" should it be removed from the vote and replaced with Arcam? or something else?

nope i wouldnt bother changing it. there are probably alot of individuals who have voted that are using the receivers as pre/pros or have connected amps for front channels and using the receivers amps to power the surrounds. it wont make any difference with what your trying to find out information wise.

the anthem probably has very few votes so you can just look at it as an arcam as arcam would end up with just as many votes as anthem or less probably.

but its your pole to do with what you wish.
post #26 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith View Post

I voted but the poll is usless. Go audition some equiptment and listen for what sounds best to you. There are many good brands and some may be better at one price point but not another price point i.e. Piooner elite are well regarded but the non elite people tend to not gravitate towards. Pick your speakers, figure out what features you need / may need and audition packages until you find the right solution for you.

Mark

Thanks for taking the time to comment...but really I don't think it was very constructive. If I thought the best way, or even if you thought the best way, to find out information on all this was to go listen to an audition...then why come here at all? Rhetorical question...I don't want any sh** slinging to start.

This is a repository of people and information with a lot to offer. I don't consider this poll a metric by which I will buy a receiver. I am interested in who actually likes what they bought...and like I said, hopefully someone else will be too.

But enough said, I am in Germany...can't demo the typical models that I would prefer to buy from the US (since its not in Euro) and therefore need to rely disproportionately on experiences of others. Anecdotal reading from 100,000 different posts is probably the most chaotic way I could go about learning that...
post #27 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

but its your pole to do with what you wish.

haha, that's what she said...?
post #28 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM

Without bashing the OPs thread, I voted H/K. That's the only real AVR I've ever owned, other than a cheap Sony HTiB, and a Technics Stereo integrated amp.

I am thinking about replacing it though, I've been looking at Pioneer.
post #29 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to comment...but really I don't think it was very constructive. If I thought the best way, or even if you thought the best way, to find out information on all this was to go listen to an audition...then why come here at all?

AVSforum is a good starting point to see whats available. But, the only way you will know if you like something is to go listen to it. As you can see from your poll everyone has different ideas of what sounds good. I have an arcam receiver that sounds so good to me that i am not going to be upgrading any time soon.

the information is very good. the first thing you need to know when purchasing a receiver is what kind of load are you driving. the only way to determine what kind of load your gonna be driving is to know what speakers your using. the only way to know what speakers you going to be using is to listen to them and find the ones you like. all speakers sound different and they all have different specs. its to limiting to pick speakers based on a receiver. Besides auditioning speakers is lots of fun. take you favorite music and drive some sales people crazy, and they love it when you have interest enough to ask questions about a product. the sales guy i last talked to knew for a fact i couldnt afford the stuff i was listening to but he kept unhooking stuff and hooking other stuff back up, i think he was enjoying it more than i was.

anyway... im getting way off track here.

the point is go listen to some stuff. ask a bunch of questions. read a bunch of stuff. its the best way to do things.

you also have to find out your needs. what do you plan on doing and using the equipment for? for instance if your only listening to music and could care less about movies then a simple two channel system might do. a grand will go farther if your only buying 2 speakers for audio instead of a complete 7.1 surround system. or that same grand could buy you better stuff.

hope this makes sense and helps ya out in your journey.

Germany huh?
post #30 of 73 Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

AVSforum is a good starting point to see whats available. But, the only way you will know if you like something is to go listen to it. As you can see from your poll everyone has different ideas of what sounds good. I have an arcam receiver that sounds so good to me that i am not going to be upgrading any time soon.

the information is very good. the first thing you need to know when purchasing a receiver is what kind of load are you driving. the only way to determine what kind of load your gonna be driving is to know what speakers your using. the only way to know what speakers you going to be using is to listen to them and find the ones you like. all speakers sound different and they all have different specs. its to limiting to pick speakers based on a receiver. Besides auditioning speakers is lots of fun. take you favorite music and drive some sales people crazy, and they love it when you have interest enough to ask questions about a product. the sales guy i last talked to knew for a fact i couldnt afford the stuff i was listening to but he kept unhooking stuff and hooking other stuff back up, i think he was enjoying it more than i was.

anyway... im getting way off track here.

the point is go listen to some stuff. ask a bunch of questions. read a bunch of stuff. its the best way to do things.

you also have to find out your needs. what do you plan on doing and using the equipment for? for instance if your only listening to music and could care less about movies then a simple two channel system might do. a grand will go farther if your only buying 2 speakers for audio instead of a complete 7.1 surround system. or that same grand could buy you better stuff.

hope this makes sense and helps ya out in your journey.

Germany huh?

I agree, but like I said, the places here to check stuff out with a corresponding US spec model are limited...unless you want to buy the $4k receivers...which I don't.

Reliability and customer satisfaction are important also...it isn't about what is popular.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page