B&W 802D Owners - What Amplifier(s) do you use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am curious as to the amplifiers people use for their 802D's.

Are you happy with the amplifier(s) you are using?

If you had to replace your amplifier(s), what would you purchase?

I am using a Proceed AMP5 to power L+R 802D and center HTM2D. I want to upgrade this year. I am thinking of Classe (CA-3200) or Mark Levinson (No 433). I am also open to replacing my Proceed altogether with an appropriate 5 channel from Classe or maybe Mark Levinson. I have not had the opportunity to audition a Mark Levinson amplifier.

When I auditioned the 802D's I used Classe and McIntosh. I spent around 4 hours comparing Classe and McIntosh. Both were very good but I ended up preferring the Classe.

I have not auditioned the 802D's with the CA-5200. I wouldn't mind a 1 box solution. But I am concerned that the 200W rating for the 5200 wouldn't be enough of a difference from my Proceed AMP5 (125W) to justify spending the money. I would also like the amplifier for the L+R match the amplifier for the HTM2D center.

Has anyone compared the CA-5200 and CA-400 for the 802D?

My current gear:
B&W 802D, HTM2D, B&W SCM1 Rears
Proceed AMP5
Lexicon MC-8B
Dennon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've got 803D and will be using a Sunfire 5 channel amp for now. Actually it's in the shop getting one of its channel modules replaced and I had to return a Lexicon amp back to a friend, so I'm actually currently using my Pioneer Elite RECEIVER amps to power the B&W's...doesn't sound too bad actually, but I'll be ready for the improvement when I get the Sunfire back, or I go out and buy a Mac! I agree that the center amp needs to be the same caliber and brand as the mains' amps. The rear, not so much, IMHO.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 369
How much current do the 802D need and how do you see that on specs?

By the way the CA-5200 works great
Old 03-13-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Kal uses Bel Canto REF1000M as one of his reference amps. He has two other huge monoblocks but I think they cost more than the BC.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am currently using the Rotel 1080 to drive mine. I consider it adequate, not spectacular. I have plans to move up in the future to a Classe or something similar. In the meantime this amp has enough power to drive the 802D's just fine. I find it somewhat lacking in punch or impulse power, but I live on a budget. The speakers were a major purchase and the amps will have to come with time. I am very content though with the Rotel performance and would not shy away from recommending it if that is more in line with your budget.

John M
Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

Kal uses Bel Canto REF1000M as one of his reference amps. He has two other huge monoblocks but I think they cost more than the BC.

Bel Canto digital is over priced for technology that you can get foe feww hundred dollars, it reminds me of Lexicon Blu Ray putting in Oppo in a box and charging 8 times the price for a pretty box

IMHO Bel Canto are thieves...
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My friend uses a McIntosh Ma7000 with his 802Ds and it sounds fantastic. I may bring my Krell 400xi over to his place sometime to do a comparison some time. I used to have a Proceed AMP-2 running my Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs and found it to be a very capable amp but liked the Krell better but with B&Ws hard to say???
Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I use Anthem P2 to drive my 802Ds. The P2 is 325 Watts 8 ohms, 500 Watts 4 ohms, and 675 Watts 2 ohms. The P2 drives my 802Ds with ease.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I use Anthem P2 to drive my 802Ds. The P2 is 325 Watts 8 ohms, 500 Watts 4 ohms, and 675 Watts 2 ohms. The P2 drives my 802Ds with ease.

Any one tried the New CT-600M yet
Old 03-15-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

I am currently using the Rotel 1080 to drive mine. I consider it adequate, not spectacular. I have plans to move up in the future to a Classe or something similar. In the meantime this amp has enough power to drive the 802D's just fine. I find it somewhat lacking in punch or impulse power, but I live on a budget. The speakers were a major purchase and the amps will have to come with time. I am very content though with the Rotel performance and would not shy away from recommending it if that is more in line with your budget.

I believe we are in a similar place. My Proceed AMP5 is adequate with the 802Ds. I would like to upgrade to something that will make the upgrade worth while. I think the good upgrade would be 3 M400's (L + R + center). But I am also on a budget and I don't know how much difference there would be between the Classe 200W amps vs. 400W.

I am curious if Classe is going to upgrade their Delta amps to 300W to match their CT line?

My Proceed is a 5 channel and I am using all 5. If I replace the front 3 I could also replace the Proceed with a smaller 2 channel or I would consider replacing it with another 5 channel amp.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGlass View Post

I believe we are in a similar place. My Proceed AMP5 is adequate with the 802Ds. I would like to upgrade to something that will make the upgrade worth while. I think the good upgrade would be 3 M400's (L + R + center). But I am also on a budget and I don't know how much difference there would be between the Classe 200W amps vs. 400W.

I am curious if Classe is going to upgrade their Delta amps to 300W to match their CT line?

I am in the same boat, yes they are the CT line will be coming into the Delta skin this summer or by Cedia.

They will have the 600W, 300W mono and the 2 and 5 channels 300W. No three channels

Unless you go to at least 400W I would not bother, in order to add 3db you have to double the power of the amp.

Maybe three CA-600M
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are going to push it to it's limits day in and day out and require the best, then Bryston is your choice.

The majority of recording studios have B&W 800 line.
The majority of recording studios use Bryston amps.

That being said

I drive mine with a Yamaha RX-Z11.

After building and designing my own amps as a hobby in college, I'll say it once, and I'll say it again, among good quality amps there is little difference in sound (despite what they claim.) Anything < 1% THD and IHD is hard to pick up. Especially the older you get!

Good Power Supply (Transformer + caps + rectifiers + diodes & volt regs)
Good Current Handling in output stages (for low impedence)
Good negative feedback control
Good slew rate (required for large voltage swings on strong bass notes)

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Bel Canto digital is over priced for technology that you can get foe feww hundred dollars, it reminds me of Lexicon Blu Ray putting in Oppo in a box and charging 8 times the price for a pretty box

IMHO Bel Canto are thieves...

The REF1000M is not just a basic ASP1000 box. There's an improved power supply and an improved input stage. It does make a difference to the sound.. background is blacker and the overall image height showed noticeable improvement.

Is it pricier than other boxes? No doubt. I have been tempted by the Wyred4Sound series. They do modify the input stage but I don't think they change the power supply. That said for HT channels, their ICE MC Box is very good bang for the buck.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

If you are going to push it to it's limits day in and day out and require the best, then Bryston is your choice.

I thought they used Classé??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

That being said

After building and designing my own amps as a hobby in college, I'll say it once, and I'll say it again, among good quality amps there is little difference in sound (despite what they claim.) Anything < 1% THD and IHD is hard to pick up. Especially the older you get!

What do you think of Emotiva XPA-1 ?

• Number of Channels: 1

• Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B

• Power output (all channels driven): 1,000 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD) 500 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)

• Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power

• Broadband Frequency Response: (-3db): 5Hz to 150kHz

• Amplifier Gain: 32db

• Signal to Noise Ratio: 1 watt: >89db Full Power: >117db

• Input Impedance: Unbalanced – 20kohms Balanced – 18kohm

• Transformer Size: 1,200VA

• Secondary capacitance: 120,000uF

• Output Devices: 24
Old 03-21-2010, 08:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe we are in a similar place. My Proceed AMP5 is adequate with the 802Ds. I would like to upgrade to something that will make the upgrade worth while.

Me too

Quote:

I think the good upgrade would be 3 M400's (L + R + center). But I am also on a budget and I don't know how much difference there would be between the Classe 200W amps vs. 400W.

That is what I am trying to figure out?

Quote:

I am curious if Classe is going to upgrade their Delta amps to 300W to match their CT line? Thanks for the feedback!

Yes but 200W vs 300W won't make any difference I think that you need to at least double the power or more. Doubling the power gives you +3db that 's all
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Bryston 4b-sst.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Me too That is what I am trying to figure out? Yes but 200W vs 300W won't make any difference I think that you need to at least double the power or more. Doubling the power gives you +3db that 's all

That is true so let's go with the CT-600 that triple the power
Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I am using a Proceed AMP5 to power L+R 802D and center HTM2D. I want to upgrade this year. I am thinking of Classe (CA-3200) or Mark Levinson (No 433). I am also open to replacing my Proceed altogether with an appropriate 5 channel from Classe or maybe Mark Levinson. I have not had the opportunity to audition a Mark Levinson amplifier.

When I auditioned the 802D's I used Classe and McIntosh. I spent around 4 hours comparing Classe and McIntosh. Both were very good but I ended up preferring the Classe.

I have not auditioned the 802D's with the CA-5200. I wouldn't mind a 1 box solution. But I am concerned that the 200W rating for the 5200 wouldn't be enough of a difference from my Proceed AMP5 (125W) to justify spending the money. I would also like the amplifier for the L+R match the amplifier for the HTM2D center.

My current gear:
B&W 802D, HTM2D, B&W SCM1 Rears
Proceed AMP5
Lexicon MC-8B
Dennon DVD-3910

You could try the Krell evolution 900e monoblocks. I have listened to them in a friend's sound room drive these speakers paired with a c2800 Acuphase preamp.
They are very good. He then upgraded the speakers to dynaudio temptations which made his system soar.

his source components are all from DCS.

I always am in awe when listening to his system.

All the best,

Michael
Old 06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CA-5200

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

If money was no object
PassLabs XA200.5 for each speaker in biamp mode
http://www.passlabs.com/xa_5_series.htm

Mid Range
Monoblock CT-M600 from Classé would be my second pick
http://www.classeaudio.com/ctseries/ct-m600.htm

Budget:
Emotiva MonoBlock XPA-1 the third
http://emotiva.com/xpa1.shtm

Quote:

Yes the CA-400 allows you to play louder and has more humph at low volume
Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Classe has updated their Delta line at CEDIA. It looks like they bumped up all 200W delta amps to 300W; or as one article stated they brought the CT electronics into the Delta line.

The new amplifiers are shipping in September 2010. These are the amps I was waiting for. I need to start saving my pennies.

Here are some links:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...wer-amplifiers

http://www.cepro.com/article/classe_..._amplifiers/K8
Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Classe has updated their Delta line at CEDIA. It looks like they bumped up all 200W delta amps to 300W; or as one article stated they brought the CT electronics into the Delta line.

The new amplifiers are shipping in September 2010. These are the amps I was waiting for. I need to start saving my pennies.

Here are some links:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...wer-amplifiers

http://www.cepro.com/article/classe_..._amplifiers/K8

Thanks for the update. I will have to give them a listen. I am pretty impressed with the McIntosh MC-303 I heard recently driving 802D's. That amp is at the top of my list for the coming upgrades at the moment, but I hope to add the Classe SSP-800 so their amps are likely a good match. I will check these units out.

John M
Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Are 802's hard to drive? If you believe in Audioholics reviews, a lot of money could be saved by going with Emotiva, perhaps an XPA-2 + whatever, or maybe an XPA-5 or even a UPA-7. Just curious.

I am driving my much lower end B&W's with an XPA-3 and my Yamaha Z7. Seems fine to me, but my hearing is not the greatest. I was not happy with what I think was the midbass at first - seemed a bit muddy at times. But I either got used to it, or the speakers took a little breaking in. Also, I noticed that when you really start to listen intently, you start noticing annoyances which are simply part of the recording. You kinda of have to start with good mid bass to determine how good the speakers are

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin View Post

That being said

After building and designing my own amps as a hobby in college, I'll say it once, and I'll say it again, among good quality amps there is little difference in sound (despite what they claim.) Anything

Hate to dig up an old dead and buried thread but I thought this thread was interesting for a few reasons, not the least of which being I actually got wse's old 802Ds. The other reason is that I think I have to agree with the above. I haven't really devoted too much time yet to looking for a perfect amp combo for them, but wasn't expecting very good results when I paired them to my existing VSX-49TX Pioneer receiver (which is more just an amp than anything at this point as it doesn't support modern video formats or anything, but is a MONSTER of an amp) from 2002. Imagine my surprise when, at least in my rather small room, the Pioneer handled them just fine. I had a chance to audition them at wse's home on a pair of Classe monoblocks with SACD souce material before I brought them back to the Midwest, so in a bit of an unusual situation I actually KNOW what they're capable of when paired with perfect high end components. Nevertheless, the Pioneer is no sympathy case with these speakers I've heard are rather demanding, even at higher listening volumes.

I'd say the Pioneer is roughly on par with the Yamaha mentioned above when it comes to construction and power output capabilities. Everyone seems to note that the 802D demands a minimum of 200w of clean power per channel to sound anywhere near reasonable, and the Pioneer is only 130 per channel (it can be bi-amped but I'm not even using that functionality). In fact, the Pioneer I bought specifically because it was one of the last great receivers made at cost little object Japanese standards and actually MADE in Japan. The Yamaha Z11 is made in Malaysia.

Still thinking about what I'm going to pair them to, I've got my eye on a pair of '90s Classe M700 monoblocks that ought to be more than sufficient, but I'm being very careful not to run into the diminishing returns side of the equation I've done a few times in the past, expecting dynamically different results and then being disappointed for the amount of money spent. My titanium domed tweeter (something that was as novel for its time as the Diamond domes on the BWs) JBL XPL-140s from 1991 for example cost a fraction of a fraction of what the B&Ws do, but don't sound that way. To my surprise, the 802Ds actually play *louder* volume level for volume level than the JBLs did on the Pioneer receiver.