How To minimize volume difference between SD and HD Channels on Dish - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All: We have Pioneer 918 Receiver. We like it a lot. Our primary source is a Dish Satellite VIP 622. I've been searching the web looking for a way to eliminate the severe volume difference between the SD and HD channels. We watch HD most of the time, but occasionally my wife switches to an SD channel and it literally blows you out of the house. When the volume is set at 30 for HD and you switch to SD you have to turn the volume all the way down to at least 55 or 60 to reach the same listening level. This is totally unsatisfactory.

I saw a "volume leveler" mentioned on the HDTV Magazine website but when I followed it up, I noticed a paragraph that says it will not work with Dolby 5.1 audio.

We do not want to lose the great movie sound in this format.

Can anyone suggest a solution or verify that one of these volume levelers would actually work without killing the Dolby 5.1 audio?

Thanks,

Dale

Dale
------------------------------------
K0HYD Amateur Packet RadioGoddard, KS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Other than using the Midnight volume button on your remote the only other remedy is to turn the volume down before turning the channel. Newer AVRs may work better in this regard but they all work the same by compressing the audio signal to prevent too low or too high a volume level.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
dolby volume
post #4 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The real solution, although you'll have to rub a lamp to get it done, is to convince Dish to match the volume levels of their channels. Yeah, I know...

Other than that, if you don't have a receiver with Dolby Volume, you'll have to try the "Midnight" mode. On the down-side, you'll lose dynamic range on TV shows. On the up-side, those insanely loud commercials will get brought under control, too.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Dynamic range compression is common on the SD channels, and results in the effects being mentioned. Same thing that the commercials use to get your attention. Dish has little to do with it. The bandaid is to apply additional processing in your AVR but the effect can be to further screw up dynamic range.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 05:53 AM

Liked: 11
I don't have Dish so I can't speak directly to that, but on my cable box there is a menu for Audio Setup. It allows me to choose higher or lower compression level. The higher the compression the less difference there is between channels. The tradeoff off is the range of sound is less pronounced. I'm less concerned about sound quality when watching TV anyway.

By the way, I'm not a fan of government regulations but a bill is being considered that will force TV providers to match the sound on channels.

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #7 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

I don't have Dish so I can't speak directly to that, but on my cable box there is a menu for Audio Setup. It allows me to choose higher or lower compression level. The higher the compression the less difference there is between channels. The tradeoff off is the range of sound is less pronounced. I'm less concerned about sound quality when watching TV anyway.

By the way, I'm not a fan of government regulations but a bill is being considered that will force TV providers to match the sound on channels.

From what I heard though, the new law will only require that the commercial can't be louder than the loudest peak in the program, so there is still the possibility that this won't make to much difference.

I guess I'll have to trust our government to not screw it up

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 AM

I have DN with a Vip 211k receiver and have not noticed much of a volume difference. Some SD channels have louder sound than some others, but only needing a small adjustment with the remote. But the only HD channels I get are OTA, run thru the 211k and the occasional free HD channel preview from DN. Still have not noticed much level difference, am surprised at the problem. Could there be a difference between the 622, 722 etc receivers and the 211 series?

Friends don't let friends use composite video.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 View Post

From what I heard though, the new law will only require that the commercial can't be louder than the loudest peak in the program, so there is still the possibility that this won't make to much difference.

Wow! Doesn't that figure!

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #10 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

I'd like to see this happen. If I had a dollar for every time Billy Mays (RIP) woke me from a sound sleep I'd be rich! I used to cuss those commercials - now I have Dolby Dynamic Volume.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Liked: 15
I have the same problem on time warner. Why is the audio on SD channels so much more dynamic/louder than HD channels at the same audio settings?
post #12 of 12 Old 02-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

If that's the way the law reads, they've already screwed it up, plus wasted money and time.
First time that's ever happened.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page