Trouble connecting computer to AV receiver via HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Im having some trouble connecting my HP DV6000 laptop to my Yamaha RX V1600 receiver via an HDMI cable.

My computer recognises that there is a device and actually lists RX V 1600 as the name of the device it is broadcasting to but I cant get the sound or video actually displaying.

Could it be a compatibility issue? I thought it would be more of a plug and play with a few changes in settings but it doesnt seem to be the case for me atm.

I have gone into the settings for the receiver and selected HDMI as one of the inputs for a device but still cant see anything when I select that device.

When I connect my computer directly to the projector via the HDMI cable it works fine so I think there is an issue with the signal somewhere between going from my laptop HDMI Out to the Receiver HDMI In to the Receiver Component Out to the Projector Component In

Am I missing a setting or something?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

What video resolution is the computer sending? Some receivers have trouble with anything but the standard TV resolutions. Try sending 1920x1080 or 1280x720.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If your AVR has a pass-through video option use that.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies,

The laptop is outputting 1920x1080.. but if the output resolution is an issue shouldnt the sound still be coming through?

How does a pass through video option work? I havent seen anything like that on the menus or in the manual.

Ive been continuing my research and is it possible the issue is that i am sending HDMI into the receiver and trying to output via the component cables to the projector? Can a receiver not do that?

Even if that is the case, should the receiver not at least play the audio over the HDMI from the laptop?

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler25 View Post

Ive been continuing my research and is it possible the issue is that i am sending HDMI into the receiver and trying to output via the component cables to the projector? Can a receiver not do that?

Even if that is the case, should the receiver not at least play the audio over the HDMI from the laptop?

Thanks again for the replies.

That's your problem. Receivers won't transcode digital HDMI video to analog component output. You'll need to either run an HDMI cable from the receiver to your display or switch to analog out from the computer (with a VGA or DVI to Component adapter).

I don't know about the sound, though.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

He can use optical or coax cable. Two channel analog is an option as well.

FWIW not many laptops will output audio over HDMI. Not many video cards will do this either although there are more now than there were a year ago - which was all of one IIRC.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies

Knucklehead90 and Roboray pretty much summed it up for me.

Laptop wont do sound on HDMI so im not getting sound across the HDMI cable and the receiver wont output the HDMI video input across the component connections (digital --> analog) hence I get no video.

I have connected it up via S-video and the headphone jack to Red White input and it works. Albeit at a lower quality than I would have liked but it should do for now until I can run an HDMI cable through the wall and ceiling to the projector.

Though it will probably be a 10m cable so im not sure what ill lose on quality there.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

With that long a cable you'd better start thinking about getting an HDMI booster/splitter. I run a 45' long HDMI cable and use that signal 'splitter'. Why MonoPrice doesn't call it a 'booster' is beyond me - but that is what it does - and works very well.
Without that little unit I would get little or no audio and video quality sucked. Now I can run both setups at the same time with no loss of audio or video quality.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler25 View Post

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies

Knucklehead90 and Roboray pretty much summed it up for me.

Laptop wont do sound on HDMI so im not getting sound across the HDMI cable and the receiver wont output the HDMI video input across the component connections (digital --> analog) hence I get no video.

I have connected it up via S-video and the headphone jack to Red White input and it works. Albeit at a lower quality than I would have liked but it should do for now until I can run an HDMI cable through the wall and ceiling to the projector.

Though it will probably be a 10m cable so im not sure what ill lose on quality there.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Well, at least we got it figured out.

You shouldn't lose any quality on a long HDMI run. You may need a signal booster or repeater of some kind though, as Knucklehead points out. I've got a 20m cable run to a secondary monitor in another room and it's perfect, but I've got a Gefen HDMI distribution amp right before that long run.

Monoprice makes good and very reasonably priced HDMI cables and accessories, so that's a good place to start looking.