Upconversion? Not sure if it's needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, it's been a while since I took a look at my home theater and I was thinking of revamping it a bit. Right now, I have my dvd player and cable STB going through my receiver to my TV and my blu ray player and gaming system going straight to the TV. The reason for this is; my receiver doesn't have HDMI support, only component and only two inputs at that. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a new receiver that handles both component and HDMI. That way, I can run everything through one system to the TV. I know there are receivers out there that can upconvert all signals to HDMI but, would I need this? Would I be able to get a non-upconverting receiver and have component inputs as well as HDMI inputs go through the HDMI output or are the component and HDMI buses separate? I'm thinking there are probably some receivers that will do this and others that won't. If that's the case, how can I tell which are which?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Most of the budget AVRs don't upconvert analog.
You can connect component video to an AVR and use component out to the display and HDMI in and out of the AVR too.

What is your budget? This is the usual starting point. Not much use in recommending an AVR that is over/under your budget.

Do you have a 5.1 or 7.1?

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

I know there are receivers out there that can upconvert all signals to HDMI but, would I need this?

Kind of, depending on your terminology. Some people call "upconverting" taking any analog source and converting it to HDMI. Other people call "upconverting" converting any analog source to HDMI and upscaling it to 1080i/1080p too. The first case is really called "transcoding" but nobody uses that terminology anymore. The second case is really what upconversion means.

But nowadays people call both upconversion. I'm not sure what your definition is.

You basically want the receiver to take component and HDMI inputs and output them thru a single HDMI, right? There are plenty of receivers that will do that starting with the low priced Denon 590 and 1610, the Pioneer 919 and up, Onkyo RC-160, 607 and up, and so on from other manufactures like Yamaha, Marantz and Harman Kardon.

You've got plenty of receivers to choose from.

Quote:

If that's the case, how can I tell which are which?

It'll tell you in the description of the receiver, especially if you go to the manufacturers website.

Afro GT
Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Kind of, depending on your terminology. Some people call "upconverting" taking any analog source and converting it to HDMI. Other people call "upconverting" converting any analog source to HDMI and upscaling it to 1080i/1080p too. The first case is really called "transcoding" but nobody uses that terminology anymore. The second case is really what upconversion means.

But nowadays people call both upconversion. I'm not sure what your definition is.

The second case is upscaling and transcoding. People still call case #1 transcoding to eliminate confusion.

There is no agreed-upon definition for "upconversion" at all. Different companies and people use it in different ways, so it's usually best just to avoid the term altogether.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I answered this in some detail in the AVR FAQ

"But this one goes up to 11"