Sony Sony STR-DN1000 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got this AVR hooked up today. Nothing specific to say about it but I already know I'll have umpteen questions. Surprised there isn't a thread already.

So far, after just a quick review, the settings are frustrating to say the least. Too damn many options for my taste. Do I assume that if I run Auto Calibrate that all other settings are moot? I also find it VERY frustrating that I can only manually set speaker output levels via the GUI. My old AVR let me do this on the fly while watching a movie so I could actually hear the difference as it was occurring. Unless I'm missing something, you have to stop viweing, enter the GUI change the setting and then go back and see if you like it.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Liked: 10
It would be better if you could change speaker settings on the fly. However I do like the GUI and it does not bother me the way it works. Have had my receiver now for 3 months or so and am very happy with it. I think it sounds great with both movies and music. No complaints at all so far.
post #3 of 40 Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 AM

You can change any settings via the display on the receiver, press the menu button on the remote and cycle through the options. Not as nice as the gui but it gets the job done.
post #4 of 40 Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Replacing a Pioneer VSX1014-tx from 2004. Had a problem with the digital inputs for the first time this year. Apparently, this was a common issue back in the day, but I haven't had any issues.

The DN1000 appealed to me due to the 7.1 channels (I have a 6.1 setup, which it recognized and appears to handle), and the 4 HDMI inputs. The Pioneer was freaking 38 lbs, a huge beast. The DN-1000 is much lighter, which I'm not taking as a good sign. I haven't cranked it up yet, but it seems to be putting out enough power.

I am not clear on the surround options. It appears to be processing Dolby Prologic IIx, but need to see if I can force some Dolby TrueHD at some point. The AVR appears to have some capabilities that I am not taking advantage of at startup.

The GUI is fine, in fact, I feel like it it's mostly easily maneuverable. The ACC setup worked great...it recognized all of my speakers and sub, and set up appropriately. I went back in and messed around with the setup, and then reran the ACC setup a few times, and it makes the right choices every time. The distance measurements were spot on.

Had a little trouble attaching the Wii, but I think it was self-forced. I tried to run it through the BD input for whatever reason, but once I connected a component set and put the sound through the "TV" input, it found the component input and assigned the audio correctly.

Will be hooking up a Brite-View Cinematube and a PS3 tomorrow, we'll see how it all shakes out.

One note: I did go back into my TV's settings (a Toshiba HM157) and cleaned up the brightness and contrast. Not sure if or how the AVR output anything differently than my previous set up, but the whites were very bright, and had to tone bright/contrast down once I got it hooked up. I will look at these during Call of Duty this weekend, and may need to up them again.

So in summary, I'm OK with the purchase. It's definitely not a mid-tier receiver worth $500, but got mine for $319 and think it's probably worth it. One quality note...the front door is the cheapest plastic they could find. You would think for a model a step up from their 800, they could have spent another six cents on this part. My AVR is in a cabinet so I won't be fixated on it, but just an odd place to save a few cents.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftnik1 View Post

Replacing a Pioneer VSX1014-tx from 2004. Had a problem with the digital inputs for the first time this year. Apparently, this was a common issue back in the day, but I haven't had any issues.

The DN1000 appealed to me due to the 7.1 channels (I have a 6.1 setup, which it recognized and appears to handle), and the 4 HDMI inputs. The Pioneer was freaking 38 lbs, a huge beast. The DN-1000 is much lighter, which I'm not taking as a good sign. I haven't cranked it up yet, but it seems to be putting out enough power.

I am not clear on the surround options. It appears to be processing Dolby Prologic IIx, but need to see if I can force some Dolby TrueHD at some point. The AVR appears to have some capabilities that I am not taking advantage of at startup.

The GUI is fine, in fact, I feel like it it's mostly easily maneuverable. The ACC setup worked great...it recognized all of my speakers and sub, and set up appropriately. I went back in and messed around with the setup, and then reran the ACC setup a few times, and it makes the right choices every time. The distance measurements were spot on.

Had a little trouble attaching the Wii, but I think it was self-forced. I tried to run it through the BD input for whatever reason, but once I connected a component set and put the sound through the "TV" input, it found the component input and assigned the audio correctly.

Will be hooking up a Brite-View Cinematube and a PS3 tomorrow, we'll see how it all shakes out.

One note: I did go back into my TV's settings (a Toshiba HM157) and cleaned up the brightness and contrast. Not sure if or how the AVR output anything differently than my previous set up, but the whites were very bright, and had to tone bright/contrast down once I got it hooked up. I will look at these during Call of Duty this weekend, and may need to up them again.

So in summary, I'm OK with the purchase. It's definitely not a mid-tier receiver worth $500, but got mine for $319 and think it's probably worth it. One quality note...the front door is the cheapest plastic they could find. You would think for a model a step up from their 800, they could have spent another six cents on this part. My AVR is in a cabinet so I won't be fixated on it, but just an odd place to save a few cents.

nice thinking of getting one for the bed room.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftnik1 View Post

One quality note...the front door is the cheapest plastic they could find. You would think for a model a step up from their 800, they could have spent another six cents on this part. My AVR is in a cabinet so I won't be fixated on it, but just an odd place to save a few cents.

IMO the door is not that cheap. I have only touched it once to remove the packing tape that held the door closed in the box it came in. After reading your post I revisited the door and it is just fine by me. It is really a non-functional door for me because I do not have any reason to access the buttons and inputs behind it.
post #7 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM

I got one of these from a guy on craigslist this weekend. 1-week-old but otherwise new out of box. $300 cash.

This is an amazing box, considering before I was using a pretty terrible receiver. I am loving the simplicity of having just HDMI cables. I haven't used many other receivers, so I can't really compare, however I'm happy with my purchase.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 AM

I also just go this to replace a Pioneer VSX1014-TX. I'm running it with a PJ so i really wanted to use the HDMI without having to use a switcher i've been using from monoprice. Just set it up last night and i love it! Like it was said, the Pioneer was close to 40lbs and just plain huge, this thing is much easier to deal with. The GUI is pretty crappy which i found surprising. I have a Bravia, a PS3 and a Sony BluRay player and all have nice menus, this not so much. The speaker terminals also feel kind of cheap. My speakers use banana plugs are are 12GA and seem to bend a little bit.

I will work on getting her tuned up this week, all i did was run to auto cal and changed the speakers to small for right now, had to get going to catch the pacific!
post #9 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Hi, Just purchased the Sony DN1000. I have a Comcast cable box and PS3 hooked up via Category 2 HDMI cables to the receiver and then the receiver to my Samsung Plasma via Cat 2 HDMI. My problem is when I try to play HD content from OnDemand I get a No Signal from my TV. This doesn't happen with SD content only HD. I tried hooking up the box straight to the TV and it works fine.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 AM

What cable box do they use? I have a SA8300HD from Time Warner hooked up to this receiver. Play with the resolution button on the remote. I have good luck at 720p. The direct setting doesn't seem to work.
post #11 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 04:33 PM

The cable box is a RNG110 from Comcast. I have the box set up in HDMI 1. If I play the HD content from OnDemand it shows No Signal. Now if I hit HDMI 2 or any of the other input buttons and then go back to HDMI 1 it's playing and it looks great. I'm real glad I got it to play but not sure if this is normal???
post #12 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 05:11 PM

I found a link to the manual for this box and didn't find any reference to HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

I forgot I am actually using the component input to the receiver and before that it goes through a sling box connection. The time warner box doesn't seem to like the HDMI output and the Component output used at the same time, but it is better about this if a receiver is used. I will try the HDMI again when I have access to the back of the system.

I output everything from my cable box as 720p. If you match this with a 720p resolution on the receiver you will probably avoid the problem. In your settings you should see an area where you can output everything as 720p by turning off all the other resolutions. On the Time Warner box this upscales anything 480p/i to 720p, and de-interlaces 1080i to 720p.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Hey, Thanks alot. I changed the resolution on the RNG110 to output 720 and it worked. I don't have to change the HDMI on the receiver. I went back into the box settings and then clicked on 1080i and 1080p 24 pass-through and it is still working. Also found out I had to put some tape in front of the eye on the cable box to get the remote to work right. It was running real slow and the Guide and OnDemand were freezing up... Thanks again.......
post #14 of 40 Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 AM

Question for you all, i got it and everything's setup. I ran the auto cal, changed the speakers to small and crossover at 80. Verizon Fios ran though HDMI and when you watch HD/5.1 it sounds amazing. As soon as you hit a stereo source though (commercials, SD) the sound all of sudden becomes like a tin can in a bathroom. It's almost like it's forcing the 2.0 sound into 5.1, but it sounds horrible. Has anyone else ran across this? I know it's gotta be a simple setting but haven't found which yet.
post #15 of 40 Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Anyone know if this thing affects lag/response times when using it with a PS3??

So far the DN1000 is working great for me!
post #16 of 40 Old 03-28-2010, 05:18 PM

Does this pass through the HDMI signal?? Any one test it while playing ps3?
post #17 of 40 Old 03-29-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrios View Post

Does this pass through the HDMI signal?? Any one test it while playing ps3?

Audio? Yes. Just set the PS3 for PCM audio out. and has great sound..
post #18 of 40 Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo View Post

Audio? Yes. Just set the PS3 for PCM audio out. and has great sound..

What about video?? Is there options for it?
post #19 of 40 Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 PM

I have been pretty happy with mine even though I am going to sell it for a 3d receiver in the next few months. Only things I don't care for is not having a real way to mess around with the subwoofer. You have to set the speakers to small and use that to set the crossover settings.

I got this unit for @279.99 from amazon on black friday so I can't complain to much.
post #20 of 40 Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

Just got this AVR hooked up today. Nothing specific to say about it but I already know I'll have umpteen questions. Surprised there isn't a thread already.

So far, after just a quick review, the settings are frustrating to say the least. Too damn many options for my taste. Do I assume that if I run Auto Calibrate that all other settings are moot? I also find it VERY frustrating that I can only manually set speaker output levels via the GUI. My old AVR let me do this on the fly while watching a movie so I could actually hear the difference as it was occurring. Unless I'm missing something, you have to stop viweing, enter the GUI change the setting and then go back and see if you like it.

That is the way I do it. The GUI is slow but once you get it set up good you won't be messing with stuff that often. When I first got mine I was constantly going back and adjusting my crummy sony center channel. I have to keep the sucker cracked up to +5 just to keep up with my towers.
post #21 of 40 Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM

I also have the DN1000 and what you need to do is just press HDMI1 or HDMI2 etc, instead of BD or SAT on your Remote. that will get you both the picture and the sound. Just press the HDMI button that your component is connected to. I to was confused, but i figured out that you need to press the hdmi button on the remote.This is a great receiver and i've had it for just a week now. Don't give up on it
post #22 of 40 Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM

May i ask one question , this reciever has no AAC Decoder what is the major drawback if DD , DTS and HD audio are not using it ?? maybe for music. Please guide me ...
post #23 of 40 Old 04-01-2010, 03:21 AM

Anyone has any idea ??

Bump , Bump, Bump
post #24 of 40 Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 AM

I'm torn between purchasing this model and the Pioneer VSX-919. Someone help me out!
post #25 of 40 Old 04-03-2010, 05:22 PM

I just bought this reciever to replace an aging Sony. Does anyone know what the small unidetified ports are on the rear of the receiver; one between HMDI Out and HDMI 1, and near the Siruis Plug? I doubt they are for future use, but it is odd that there is a cutout for them on the backplane of the device if they couldn't be used.

~Steve
post #26 of 40 Old 04-03-2010, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

look through the settings on your cable box, see what it support, also note not all channels will be broadcasting 5.1 content the best you could hope for is dd 2.0
post #27 of 40 Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Just got this new system.
Sony STR DN 1000 AVS Receiver
Sony 40EX500 TV
Panasonic Blu Ray DMP BD 65
RBH MM4 5.1 speaker set

Everything is hooked up thru HDMI. TV and Receiver work great with the remote but the BLU RAY does not. How do I get the Blu ray, Amp and TV to sinc with the HDMI 2 button on the remote. The Sony remote is RM-AAP040. Also is there a way to get the Sony remote to operate my FIOS HD Box which is a Motorola?
post #28 of 40 Old 04-21-2010, 04:39 PM

just got my dn1000 a couple days ago and the bd playback through my ps3 is VERY cool, but I am having a problem. I have a sony kds-50a2020 and cannot get the tv's audio to play through the receiver. have plain cable(coax) into the tv and using the optical out to the dn1000's tv opt in, but do not get any sound. tried various sound field modes, nothing, tried opt into the sat and bd inputs and same, have the rec set to amp and not amp+tv because the signal isn't passing through the rec just to it. know the opt cable is good, was using it for output from ps3 to old rec. on the a2020 have speakers set to off and audio out set to fixed. if i am remembering correctly, i think that i may have tried to hook up the tv to my old rec and it never did work... not sure about that though. will try rca cables next but still any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks guys!

ViZuNaRy

3D Blu-ray... Better than real life!
post #29 of 40 Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 AM

I'm using this receiver with the Sony BDP-N460 and the receiver never lights up the LFE indicator. I've only seen the SW indicator lit up. My subwoofer is a powered Onkyo sub that seems to be working fine but I am curious why the LFE indicator is never lit up on the receiver.
post #30 of 40 Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 AM

I get an audio loud and soft using hdmi input from panny bd65. Video is perfect. Problem is only on dvd's NOT CD's. or any other source. When the problem first occured I switched to another hdmi input. That solved the problem for a while. The fix lasted a couple of weeks. It just came back so I tried switching the hdmi cable for a new one. Using the same input with the new cable produced the problem again. I switched to the last available input with the new cable and that seems to have solved the problem for now. No more hdmi inputs to switch around. I did however try connecting the blu ray via standard ryw cables and that worked fine. Are my hdmi inputs going partially dead? Any suggestions?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page