Integra dtr 40.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amy threads out there. Netter than a denon 2310? Difference between that and a onkyo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The Integra has networking built in - the Denon doesn't. Both use Audyssey MultEQ room correction. The Integra also is 4ohm certified - I don't think the Denon is.

Check out the NR807 Owners thread - same thing as the DTR 40.1. The advantage of the Integra vs the Onkyo is 3 years of warranty vs 2 for the Onkyo. The other differences are slight - cosmetics being one of them. Onkyo has a 'pure' audio mode - both have a direct audio mode. I've owned both now and can't really tell what difference there is.

A great guy to buy Integra is from this guy - a forum member here and authorized Integra dealer - and great prices.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post

Amy threads out there. Netter than a denon 2310? Difference between that and a onkyo?

There is a significant difference in the Audyssey implementation between Denon and Onkyo/Integra. Too bad I found it after ordering the 40.1

Onkyo/Integra Audyssey products dont give the user the option to choose between the Audussey Flat and Audysset Reference curves. They decided automatically depending on whether the user picks a THX option or not.

This may not be a big deal for movies but for 2ch Stereo it is a big deal.

Why? The Audyssey Reference adds high freq. roll off which is not good for 2ch stereo. Some suggest using the treble control to boost the highs but the problem is that the Audyssey roll off probably starts at 2KHz (same as the X-curve used for studio mixing) where as the good old treble control would only affect 10khz abd above.

I took for granted that the Integra DHC 40.1 would allow me to use Audyssey Flat for 2ch stereo. My mistake and a very bad mistake.

So if you are a 2ch enthusiast keep this in mind.

Download the manuals do some reading and then decide.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

MUPI-- can you talk a little more about this- I am not constructing my "wish list".
AVR or amp.pre/amp .
the 40.1 is on the list- I'm both a 5.1/2ch listener. Small Living room set up.
db
Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Is this the case with the 50.1 as well because I am about to buy one?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

From my understanding Flat is designed to be used with THX, because THX adds the high freq rolloff. 2 channel reference curve adds the rolloff in expectation that THX isn't being used.

That is how the system was setup and the counter argument is that letting users pick which curves can actually let users "mis-use" the system to their listening detriment.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM

so if you were to use THX and the Audyssey that would eliminate the problem discussed above??
Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1587wrx View Post

so if you were to use THX and the Audyssey that would eliminate the problem discussed above??

Not that simple really.

High frequency rolloff is intended to correct for "Room Gain" (if I understand this correctly) and all rooms have this.

So, in Mupi's scenario he wants to be able to use an Audyssey curve without the rolloff - which technically isn't possible. Note though, that that isn't how how Audyssey was intended to be used.

The thinking is all rooms have high freq gain and therefore a proper response will have rolloff as living rooms aren't anechoic chambers OR highly treated rooms. This is probably the correct way to deal with most rooms for non-power users. Integra's thinking seems to be remove a possible incorrect setting combination for inexperienced users.

For those power users, they are probably thinking they will be using direct mode for 2-channel which disables Audyssey anyway.

Conjecture on my part, but logical IMHO.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM

O ok now I understand thanks for the clarification. Does anyone have experience with the 40.1 or 50.1?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

O ok now I understand thanks for the clarification. Does anyone have experience with the 40.1 or 50.1?

Honestly, considering the Internet deals you can get on the Onkyo NR series (functional twins to the Integras), I would probably be looking at those first. That is unless you have a line on a great price through a dealer and like the look of the Integras better. (I do, but I wouldn't pay the premium for it).
Old 02-17-2010, 04:55 PM

so are you saying there is no difference between the onkyo nr series and the integras??
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

so are you saying there is no difference between the onkyo nr series and the integras??

Yeah, are you? Seriously, since there seem to be a lot of members familiar with both brands I was wondering how much real difference there is in the perceived sound between Integra pre/pro and onkyo AVRs. Since I won't be using the amp section, I think I could even live with the 607 if the SQ of its proccesser was close to the Integra. And the money saved could be a good start towards getting some home improvements-like another sub...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Yeah, are you? Seriously, since there seem to be a lot of members familiar with both brands I was wondering how much real difference there is in the perceived sound between Integra pre/pro and onkyo AVRs. Since I won't be using the amp section, I think I could even live with the 607 if the SQ of its proccesser was close to the Integra. And the money saved could be a good start towards getting some home improvements-like another sub...

I was indeed saying that. Unfortunately - that applies to like spec'd receivers only.

DTR 70.1 = Onkyo NR3007.

I think the 40.1 matches up with the 807/rc-180 and something like the processor section of the 607 probably wouldn't match it. (Looks like the 607 doesn't have the Burr-Brown DACs that the higher models do.)

That is why I said, "if" you were deciding between similarly spec'd Onkyo and Intergra models, I would probably go with the Onkyo because you can more easily find some crazy internet deals.

One last thing - I would choose the NR1007 over the 40.1. Much better amp section and the price should be similar once you factor in internet pricing.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

D- thanks for explaining some of these differences.
Getting to the short list- the NR1007 is looking better all the time. Pretty much eliminated EMO as a option.
I will only be using 5.1 but i have 4ohm fronts that need good power to enjoy them.
audyssey will be welcomed.
Just want a KISS system- for a small living room setting.
db
Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

D- thanks for explaining some of these differences.
Getting to the short list- the NR1007 is looking better all the time. Pretty much eliminated EMO as a option.
I will only be using 5.1 but i have 4ohm fronts that need good power to enjoy them.
audyssey will be welcomed.
Just want a KISS system- for a small living room setting.
db

Well with 4ohm fronts a good amp section will be critical, and in that case I wouldn't go anything lower than the nr1007 in the Onkyo line-up. Others might make the case for a 707 or equivalent and an XPA-3. Also, the 1007 has a ton of bells and whistles so I'm not sure if it's the simple solution .

I guess it boils down to features and price. Only you can decide.

Edit: I believe the functional equivalent of the NR1007 is the DTR-50.1. And actually if you compare specs the 1007 comes out on top. Kinda weird IMHO.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Say, D_Strasse, i look at both of these models and not really see alot of differences.
· Onkyo tx-nr1007...or the tx-nr807
other than a 1-2 slight changes and one is 9.2 vs. 7.1 and i only need 5.1.
If i when with adding an additional 3 chennel amp or going pre/pro with separate amp 5 channel amp i would have to place these larger size amps in another room (right underneath the room- but still not really convenient). I just need a amp that is powerful enough to run the front towers @4ohm.
Thanks,
db
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Not all speakers rated 4ohm are hard to drive. The NR807 may be all you need. If you have problems add an amp - the Emotiva UPA-5 is a decent amp and you've already mentioned you only want a 5.1 setup. This way you'll know if the NR807 is enough - and it leaves money for an amp if you wish - you'll either be money ahead or nearly even - and have a good amp to boot. The NR1007 is a decent enough AVR but isn't 'night and day' different in contrast to the NR807. They are very close in most respects other than the Audyssey XT which the NR807 doesn't have - only the MultEQ.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

"Audyssey XT which the NR807 doesn't have - only the MultEQ"
Is one that much better than the other. I haven't spend anytime in the Audyssey forum to learn how each system differers. { i have learned to do a decent job with SPL&Disc.}
I have an acoustically challenged living room...
db
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

Is one that much better than the other.

That is the age old question, LOL. I have asked the exact same thing and there really isn't a ready answer (at least from what I've found).

Is it better? Well, from a technical point of view it has more resolution which can be beneficial in some circumstances.

Do you need it? No one can answer that for you.

My experience is that I use regular MultiEQ for movies but listen to 2 channel on a direct/pass through mode. I am not sure I like what it does in my room for music. Could be user error could be more my room all bundled with personal preference.

As to what KH said - he has a point also. You might not need the added beef of the NR1007 and, yes, you can at a later point add a 3channel amp to your system. An Emotiva XPA-3 is perfect for that situation (had one myself for a while.) In the end it boils down to how structure you're audio "investment" - all upfront or piecemeal.

I'm sure you'll have fun either way, both are good receivers.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Thanks, there isn't much of a cost difference between the two ~$300. In the long run that's not much- or a concern- however, if now adding a XPA-3(600) plus IC & Cables.
If i want to add in analog for D2ch. play back. now we are adding in alternative variations.
I'm using an Oppo 83SE and Comcast DVR- as source- only gear in my setup.
db
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM

Are you guys really sure those Onkyo's are as comparable to thwe Integras as you think? The Onkyos run super hot and the Integras seem to run really cool.

Ignoring the subjective sound differences for the sake of argument, I would think there must me some major differences just due to the temps they pull?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

the Integras r mo' better cuz we sell and service them...they ALL put out the heat!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
[quote=D_Strasse;18159606]
I think the 40.1 matches up with the 807/rc-180 and something like the processor section of the 607 probably wouldn't match it. (Looks like the 607 doesn't have the Burr-Brown DACs that the higher models do.)

QUOTE]

I'm confused by the two product lines. What are the differences between the 807 and the rc-180?

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=lonwolf615;18236087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse View Post

QUOTE]

I'm confused by the two product lines. What are the differences between the 807 and the rc-180?

http://www.onkyousa.com/products_compare.cfm
Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 AM

I purchased an Integra DTR 40.1 in December 2009 from Myer Emco (DC area retailer - recently went out of business). I did consider the Onkyo recievers but I did not like the front fold down panel or the green display. I only needed 5.1 so for around $900 the DTR 40.1 seemed to fit my needs.

I am running B&W speakers (XT2s front, FPM5 center, ASW608 sub, M1s rear).

I upgraded to the Integra from an older Onkyo receiver. The DTR 40.1 sounds great playing music and watching DVD movies (no blu ray yet). I also use it to play internet radio. The unit generates some heat, but not more than I would expect for a reciever.

I have run into one problem. Every two or three weeks the receiver will mysteriously stop making sound for all sources. I have tried turning the unit off and on to reset and still no sound. I have to unplug the receiver for 1 second and plug it back in...then it works fine for serveral more weeks. I have upgraded the firmware via the internet connection.

I was going to take it back to Myer Emco for service or exhange but they went out of business. Of course the unit is under warranty but I haven't done anything about it yet. My fear is that I will send it to the Onkyo/Integra facility, they will keep it for months and then will find nothing wrong with it.

Chuck
Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck21401 View Post

I purchased an Integra DTR 40.1 in December 2009 from Myer Emco (DC area retailer - recently went out of business). I did consider the Onkyo recievers but I did not like the front fold down panel or the green display. I only needed 5.1 so for around $900 the DTR 40.1 seemed to fit my needs.

I am running B&W speakers (XT2s front, FPM5 center, ASW608 sub, M1s rear).

I upgraded to the Integra from an older Onkyo receiver. The DTR 40.1 sounds great playing music and watching DVD movies (no blu ray yet). I also use it to play internet radio. The unit generates some heat, but not more than I would expect for a reciever.

I have run into one problem. Every two or three weeks the receiver will mysteriously stop making sound for all sources. I have tried turning the unit off and on to reset and still no sound. I have to unplug the receiver for 1 second and plug it back in...then it works fine for serveral more weeks. I have upgraded the firmware via the internet connection.

I was going to take it back to Myer Emco for service or exhange but they went out of business. Of course the unit is under warranty but I haven't done anything about it yet. My fear is that I will send it to the Onkyo/Integra facility, they will keep it for months and then will find nothing wrong with it.

Chuck

Chuck...they will not keep it for months. They will either verify the prob and repair it or send it back because they cannot dup the problem. U have a 6 month exchange warranty from Integra...so I would call customer svc and discuss this with them. (800) 225-1946
OR, if u can find out who the Onkyo/Integra sales rep is for Wash DC...u could request this advanced exchange option.
alan
Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 PM

alanl715,

Thanks for that advice. I think I may have to send it in for service afterall.

I just tried to do the firmware update (via network). After the update downloaded, the unit locked up and displays the message "MMPU Setting." That is all it does. I did a quick search and found a thread on the Onkyo TX-NR807 with the same problem.

Also, it is interesting that some owners of the NR 807 have had the same "no sound" problem that can only be reset by unplugging the unit.

I am losing confidence in Intregra quickly. The unit does sound good when it works!

Chuck
Old 05-15-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr13 View Post

Are you guys really sure those Onkyo's are as comparable to thwe Integras as you think? The Onkyos run super hot and the Integras seem to run really cool.

Ignoring the subjective sound differences for the sake of argument, I would think there must me some major differences just due to the temps they pull?

Just in case anyone might be the least bit interested.........An Onkyo rep told me that the Integras employ higher quality guts over the Onkyos and have a longer warranty.

If you were to study the rears of the units, you'll see the Integra has more input/output connectivity over it's sister Onkyo unit.

I own the NR807, if I had the dough, I'd own the DTR-50.1. But seriously, if I really had the dough, I'd have either the 70.1 or even the DTR-80.1

Happy viewing.........

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 05-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck21401 View Post

alanl715,

I just tried to do the firmware update (via network). After the update downloaded, the unit locked up and displays the message "MMPU Setting." That is all it does. I did a quick search and found a thread on the Onkyo TX-NR807 with the same problem.

I unplugged the unit for 10 minutes or so then plugged it back in. It restarted the updating process on its own. It downloaded the firmware and reinstalled it, then reset itself. So I am back in business.

I wonder if I will have to set up Audyssey again? Other settings were not lost during the update process, so hopefully not.

Chuck
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM

I posted on this thread a while back regarding a problem with my Integra dtr 40.1.

About once a month the unit stops making sound. If I unplug the unit for a minute and the restart it, it works fine.

Recently this method stopped working for me. So I did a hard reset (power button + VCR/DVR) and updated the firmware.

Interestingly, the firmware update instructions at: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...a533f1d231d281
state that the 6/15/10 update: "Stabilizes operation immediately after power is turned on (thereby avoiding problems of no sound output after the A/V receiver has been in Standby mode for an extended time with network control enabled)."

Well I successfully did the update and the sound worked again yesterday.

But unfortunately this morning I didn't get any sound again. I tried plugging/unplugging...no luck. I tried a hard reset...no luck. I wasn't able to do another update of the firmware because that option is greyed out on the setup menu!

Very frustrating. Looks like I will be sending the unit in for service.