Cables for connecting AV receiver to equalizer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for cables to connect an RCA pre-out connection on my Pioneer Elite VSX-82Txs AV receiver to a 1/4 " TRS connection on my Behringer Ultragraph 1502 equalizer and from the equalizer to an ART HeadAmp4 headphone amp (1/4" or 1/8" stereo connector). I am doing this to solve a hearing problem.

I did get some sound using unbalanced cables, but also a lot of hum. So, my question is :'Is it possible to obtain balanced cables for this application or is there another way of getting rid of the hum?" Specific information re. supplier and source of the cables would be appreciated.

hansrosenkvist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

'Is it possible to obtain balanced cables for this application or is there another way of getting rid of the hum?"

You have an unbalanced source, 'balanced' cables don't make it balanced.
Look for a ground loop problem.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The Pioneer doesn't have balanced outputs. Using RCA to TRS connectors instead of RCA to TS shouldn't make any difference. You could try it, but don't expect to the hum to go away.

What you're probably hearing is a ground-loop where your amplifier is seeing ground at a slightly different potential from your receiver or source device. There are lots of things that could be causing it, but the most common source seems to be the cable TV (or satellite) coax running into the system. Try disconnecting that and see if the hum stops. If that's it, you'll need to have the coax shield properly grounded.

If that's not it, you'll probably want to do some reading on the subject before digging any deeper into your system.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page