post #31 of 2066 Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

What are you running as a preamp? And what receiver were you running before?

The answer to both is a Denon 3805 (well, a 3890, but same difference). For movie playback we feed it with analog ext. in from an Auzentech X-Meridian. The card is known to output high voltages, so we run it at <100% volume, which means that our preamping is a bit of a mess.

As mentioned above, we are contemplating a new receiver with support for Audyssey (but less than 9 channel amplification). At that time, we expect to feed the receiver digital audio, and to use it as part pre/pro, part receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2066 Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneV View Post

The answer to both is a Denon 3805 (well, a 3890, but same difference). For movie playback we feed it with analog ext. in from an Auzentech X-Meridian. The card is known to output high voltages, so we run it at <100% volume, which means that our preamping is a bit of a mess.

As mentioned above, we are contemplating a new receiver with support for Audyssey (but less than 9 channel amplification). At that time, we expect to feed the receiver digital audio, and to use it as part pre/pro, part receiver.

Ah,excellent. I'm currently in the process of comparing Audessey Calibration (via Denon AVR4310) effects to Calibration using a Radioshack Decibel Meter to see which is preferable. i just Calibrated using the dB meter this week. Will Watch the same movies i watched last week (Transformers 2, Master and Commander) and see which overall sound i prefer. either way I'm in for a treat, as I've been watching at least three blu rays a week since getting my XPA-5. I'm in love with the sound improvements this amp has made over the Denon internal amps.

The problem is, not many of my friends are into audio--they just know "Matt's theater is where we want to watch movies." So, it looks like I'm the only once noticing the benefits of the XPA-5. I can live with that
post #33 of 2066 Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ah,excellent. I'm currently in the process of comparing Audessey Calibration (via Denon AVR4310) effects to Calibration using a Radioshack Decibel Meter to see which is preferable. i just Calibrated using the dB meter this week. Will Watch the same movies i watched last week (Transformers 2, Master and Commander) and see which overall sound i prefer. either way I'm in for a treat, as I've been watching at least three blu rays a week since getting my XPA-5. I'm in love with the sound improvements this amp has made over the Denon internal amps.

The problem is, not many of my friends are into audio--they just know "Matt's theater is where we want to watch movies." So, it looks like I'm the only once noticing the benefits of the XPA-5. I can live with that

Dude, Audyssey calibration does WAY more than what your doing with the decibel meter. That just equalizes the Db from the listening position to each speaker. Audyssey will actually EQ your speakers to your room so to help reduce reflections and nulls, etc. Make sure and use the full amount of positions your reciever handles when doing the audyssey calibration.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #34 of 2066 Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin View Post

Dude, Audyssey calibration does WAY more than what your doing with the decibel meter. That just equalizes the Db from the listening position to each speaker. Audyssey will actually EQ your speakers to your room so to help reduce reflections and nulls, etc. Make sure and use the full amount of positions your reciever handles when doing the audyssey calibration.

Oh yeah, i know it's more advanced indeed. But i still feel like I need to be able to compare the two for myself. I've been using Audyssey for years--on the Denon 4310, and its predecessor, the Onkyo TX-SR674.(circa 2007) I'm sure i'll end up with Audyssey still activated, but I HAVE to know how it sounds since I have teh tools for both.

I use 3 positions, but the max is 6. My first setup i used all six at each listening position and the sound was all over the place (the final three listening positions are on a sofa that is perpendicular to the primary sofa). So I utilize only the primary listening positions to set up the Audyssey but it sounded excellent. But I experimented and tried only one position, and it was terrible (which is funny because the Onkyo ONLY allowed one position).

I certainly agree--the max primary listening positions.....albeit, facing the same direction!
post #35 of 2066 Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so after using the SPL Meter, and playing the movies, I'm definitely going with the Audyssey Eq on the Denon 4310 via the Emotiva XPA-5. I recalibrated the system after plugging my SVSPB-13 and running it in Sealed Mode. It turns out, with a Tripod, six locations DOES improve sound. It keeps the Mic at a steady hight at all times.
post #36 of 2066 Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have owned a number of multichannel amps and none have had any fans (thankfully). Cooling is accomplished by the heat rising up through the top vents.
Bill

Why thankfully?? What is so bad about fans? The noise or something else? I was thinking about buying a used ADA amp, but have heard they all (6150, MPA 501, etc) use fans...
post #37 of 2066 Old 11-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardmoneylender View Post

Why thankfully?? What is so bad about fans? The noise or something else? I was thinking about buying a used ADA amp, but have heard they all (6150, MPA 501, etc) use fans...

Fans are used for cooling purposes. Over time they can fatigue and become audible. Fans are installed in some amps to aid in cooling which will reduce the size of the heat sinks necessary which in turn reduces the overall size and weight of the amp.
post #38 of 2066 Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Hey there, can an owner or knowledgeable fellow answer a question for me please? Is it possible to bridge four of the channels into two, (for a total of 2 channels at 400w each)?

I would like to do this and then save up for a seperate 2 channel amp, like XPA-2, then move the remain XPA-5 channels around to my surrounds and center.

Is the first question regarding bridging possible? Thank you so much!!!

Zulu
post #39 of 2066 Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Hey there, can an owner or knowledgeable fellow answer a question for me please? Is it possible to bridge four of the channels into two, (for a total of 2 channels at 400w each)?

I would like to do this and then save up for a seperate 2 channel amp, like XPA-2, then move the remain XPA-5 channels around to my surrounds and center.

Is the first question regarding bridging possible? Thank you so much!!!

Zulu

No I don't think bridging on the XPA-5 is possible or advisable. The XPA-2 can be bridged via a switch on the rear of the amp. The XPA-5 lacks this switch. Pull up the manuals and have a look. I own an XPA-5 and have dealt with the XPA-2. You can get a little more power to your mains when using the XPA-5 in stereo mode because the center and surrounds are sitting idle. Leaving the power supply to only power two amps out of the five. It has been advised that if you have difficult speakers to drive and intend on using high volumes that you could run into trouble doing this. Emotiva recommends using a dedicated 2 channel amp if you fit into this category.
post #40 of 2066 Old 12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

No I don't think bridging on the XPA-5 is possible or advisable. The XPA-2 can be bridged via a switch on the rear of the amp. The XPA-5 lacks this switch. Pull up the manuals and have a look. I own an XPA-5 and have dealt with the XPA-2. You can get a little more power to your mains when using the XPA-5 in stereo mode because the center and surrounds are sitting idle. Leaving the power supply to only power two amps out of the five. It has been advised that if you have difficult speakers to drive and intend on using high volumes that you could run into trouble doing this. Emotiva recommends using a dedicated 2 channel amp if you fit into this category.

Thank you Secret Squirrel. I suspected this, since I was not seeing the bridge option published anywhere...I think you are right about the two channel amp, I have known that logic for sometime...I just really wanted a Christmas miracle.
post #41 of 2066 Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just received my XPA-5 last Tuesday, so
I've had it set up and running for less than a week. First of all, showed up in perfect shape (no dents, all LED's same brightness)...secondly, It makes an awesome addition to my Denon AVR-4810...Great Amp!!! Can't believe how warm the sound is and truly how much headroom there is..may add another! Great job Emotiva! Heres a pic of the amp with my gear.
LL
post #42 of 2066 Old 12-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathron View Post

Just received my XPA-5 last Tuesday, so
I've had it set up and running for less than a week. First of all, showed up in perfect shape (no dents, all LED's same brightness)...secondly, It makes an awesome addition to my Denon AVR-4810...Great Amp!!! Can't believe how warm the sound is and truly how much headroom there is..may add another! Great job Emotiva! Heres a pic of the amp with my gear.

Nice gear. I just got my Xpa5 friday. Just waiting for my interconnects and speaker cable to arrive. I noticed theres not much clearance above your amp, are you concerned about heat?
post #43 of 2066 Old 12-13-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have a call into Emotiva tech dept (from this morning...I guess they are busy). Does anyone know if one can run both 4ohm speakers and 8ohm speakers at the sametime on this amp? My front three are 4 ohm speakers, my sides are 8ohm speakers. If I read the manual correctly, it would appear that this arrangement is discouraged.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Lower Prices: Buttkicker ($125 shipped-see pics) /Acoustic Panels for Sale ($300 for pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...-kit-sale.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #44 of 2066 Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Yes, you can. I've had several different speakers at different ohms running with the XPA-5 and never had an issue. It's a powerful amp.
post #45 of 2066 Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Liked: 18
I ran three 4ohm speakers on the front and two 8ohm in the rear with no problems.
post #46 of 2066 Old 12-25-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Just got an XPA-5 and wondering if its a must to rerun audyssey calibration on my Denon 3808. Thanks.
post #47 of 2066 Old 12-25-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post

Just got an XPA-5 and wondering if its a must to rerun audyssey calibration on my Denon 3808. Thanks.

Unless you have an SPL meter and want to manually calibrate it...

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #48 of 2066 Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 AM

My XPA-5 really helped with my 7.1 POLK RTIA speakers, my next upgrade is to add 2 XPA1s to drive my RTI A9s.

more details are there and the speakers shine, this is compared to the yamaha 665 that was driving them initially.

best upgrade so far.
post #49 of 2066 Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNOD View Post

My XPA-5 really helped with my 7.1 POLK RTIA speakers, my next upgrade is to add 2 XPA1s to drive my RTI A9s.

more details are there and the speakers shine, this is compared to the yamaha 665 that was driving them initially.

best upgrade so far.

Thank you so much! This is the direct comparison I have been looking for, it is helping me to move in this direction.

I am very excited. Can you describe the level of detail(s) or what exactly you heard for the first time?

Very much appreciated,
Zulu
post #50 of 2066 Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Hey guys,

I currently have an XPA-5 driving my setup and was thinking about adding a UPA-2 and getting some surround back speakers. I plan to also upgrade to the UMC-1 for the 7.1 setup. My question is with the power difference, will the UPA-2 play nicely with the XPA-5?

I'm running Definitive Technology:
BP7000's fronts
CLR3000 center
BPVX surrounds
Reference Supercube
post #51 of 2066 Old 12-29-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUguy View Post

Hey guys,

I currently have an XPA-5 driving my setup and was thinking about adding a UPA-2 and getting some surround back speakers. I plan to also upgrade to the UMC-1 for the 7.1 setup. My question is with the power difference, will the UPA-2 play nicely with the XPA-5?

I'm running Definitive Technology:
BP7000's fronts
CLR3000 center
BPVX surrounds
Reference Supercube

The XPA-5 and UPA-2 should work fine together. Rear surrounds don't handle that much information and the speakers you have listed should really not need a lot of extra amplification. Im guessing that you are going with a pair of BPVX as rear surrounds.
post #52 of 2066 Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

The XPA-5 and UPA-2 should work fine together. Rear surrounds don't handle that much information and the speakers you have listed should really not need a lot of extra amplification. Im guessing that you are going with a pair of BPVX as rear surrounds.

Actually, I am considering either a pair of CLR2002's or SM 450's. One of my buddies also suggested moving the XPA-5 to center, surround, and surround back duty, and getting 2 UPA-1's for front L and R. Thoughts on that?
post #53 of 2066 Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathron View Post

Great Amp!!! Can't believe how warm the sound is .

Can you tell me what type of built in eq this amp uses?
post #54 of 2066 Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUguy View Post

Actually, I am considering either a pair of CLR2002's or SM 450's. One of my buddies also suggested moving the XPA-5 to center, surround, and surround back duty, and getting 2 UPA-1's for front L and R. Thoughts on that?

I think that 2 UPA-1's powering your mains along with an XPA-5 for the other channels would work fine. You would have about the same amount of power available to all channels. You would really have a little more power available for your mains since the mono blocks will have their own power supplies. Im using a similar set up. Except that Im using a pair of XPA-1's for my mains, along with an XPA-5 for the rest of my other channels. Im really happy with the results.
post #55 of 2066 Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Liked: 12
No posts here for a while. Just reserved an Emotiva XPA-5 after reading lots of reviews. Emo said shipping 2/15/11. Haven't purchased any new equipment in a while.
post #56 of 2066 Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Emotiva XPA-5 4ohm speakers. 5008 AVR.
I am getting tweeter hiss
Anyone else, and is it fixable?

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
post #57 of 2066 Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

How far away from the speaker can you hear the hiss? What kind of speakers do you have? What are the sensitivity ratings on the speakers that you hear the hiss?
post #58 of 2066 Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I get some hiss from my XPA-3. But you have to practically stick your ear next to the tweeter. Higher sensitivity speakers will be worse.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #59 of 2066 Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a very slight tweeter hiss from my XPA-5. You have to stick your ear right next to the tweeter and really listen for it. As MichaelJHuman said, I think this depends greatly on speaker sensitivity. My speakers that the XPA-5 powers are 90db sensitive. My mains on the other hand are 97db sensitive. I have a pair of XPA-1 mono blocks powering those. They also have a very very slight tweeter hiss. Quieter than the XPA-5. The XPA-1 is supposed to be quieter than the XPA-5 according to what Emotiva tells me. So what Im experiencing seems to be normal. As I said before you would never no any of my speakers had a slight tweeter hiss unless you stuck your ear up to the tweeter with no content playing. You need to be as close a 1 or 2 inches and really listen good to know it's there. I simply did it because I was looking for it. It is never heard otherwise.
post #60 of 2066 Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Emotiva is doing a serious update to their User's Guide for the XPA-5 (.pdf file), which has so many errors --- to many to mention here, and it is totally different than what their web site states -- they are not even close to being in sync.
Also, the 12Vdc Trigger Cable is approx. 2 Meters in length they tell me verbally, and it comes with the XPA-5. Also, the XPA-5 is thermally burned-in at the factory for about 8 hrs. at what temp. they didn't know, but they at Emotiva recommend that you let it soak a while at your room temperature before applying some max. power to it -- which makes good sense, so thermally it is stabilized at room temperature. Also, they recommend a minimum of a couple inches (+2") of clearance on the top surface for ventilation, even though it does not run very hot even under a lot of sourced output power. After reading the User's Guide (.pdf) downloaded from web, and comparing it to their web site, I really got concerned since they were totally different and called them out on it -- since I could not figure out what the Real Specs of the XPA-5 where and are. Glad Emotiva is now aware of this issue -- hopefully they get it cleared up soon, as they have good web forum writeups. BTW -- the weight of unit is 66 Pounds Net., and not 75.4# as the User's Guide shows. Definately run the power cord directly into your AC outlet not a surge protector. Anybody else notice these differences between the User's Guide and their web site? What documentation comes with the XPA-5 (the User's Guide - which is totally hosed up and erroneous in specs/detail)? I certainly hope the physical XPA-5 unit is considerably better than their meaningless User's Guide. I have one on order, but this concerns me about their Quality within Engr./Tech. Writing!! Hopefully, the physical product is super sound # for #...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page