post #631 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

im disappointed to hear that there is no sound quality improvements tho... under the product descriptions at emotiva for the amps they do clearly mention improvements...?

Well yeah - marketing often stretches the truth!  (I've worked all my life in advertising....)

There will be SQ improvements in some, defined circumstances - such as when the other amp is underpowered and goes into clipping for example.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

kbarnes101:
Time to walk my dog now - it's -5 degrees here.

is that -5 c or -5 f

im plus 1 c today in Canada.... i got to get me some more power...

so you think those product description of the amp at emotiva are misleading? sonic nirvana!

It was minus 5 C here at that time. That's plus 23 for those working in F. :)  Blimey - we were 6 degrees (C) colder than Canada!

I wouldn't say 'misleading'. I'd say 'marketing'. :)

post #633 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

On the Emo forum, it's funny the twisted logic that gets used. The fanboy is adamant that the Emotiva amps are just as good as anything out there, and usually it's the XPA series owners who make this boast. Fair enough so far. But now that the XPR series is out, you see loyal XPA owners upgrading to the new series and saying that the higher quality parts will give superior SQ. Mind you, a doubling of the watts, from 200 to 400 still only nets you 3 more db, but don't get confused by the facts! smile.gif

LOL. I don't look at the Emo forums as they are full of fanboys and they drive me nuts. But that is very funny. Almost worth taking a look. Is that what they are really saying?  The sole audible difference between the two will be the power output. And that means nothing if you have the power you require in the first place. Mind you, to hit movie Reference level cleanly can take more than we sometimes think - one of the many online SPL calculators will reveal this. But then again, very few listen at Reference levels at home. If they are clipping their XPAs then that 3dB of greater headroom will be useful. Otherwise, they'd do better just coming clean and saying "wow man - these new amps are way cool and I WANT one" :)
post #634 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi.
I got the marantz sr7007 today. Nice receiver hardware and GUI. Sound is fine. Nothing crazy awesome. I was hoping for the wow that I had with the marantz sr7005 but I didn't get the wow. I got a, hmm, ok, this ain't bad. Kinda cool. Compared to my Integra dtr 40.3? Not sure. So not enough audible difference that I can easily tell. I do notice a slight difference but not anything to get excited for. Just military channel listening so far.

The XPA-5 is a very nice looking and extremely gosh awful heavy ass amp! Huge too. From what I'm used to.

My room is 15' long x 8' high x 12' wide. Just a bed and small dresser in here. Carpet floor and window covers with good drapes.

All this amp stuff is confusing. You have some say a properly made amp won't make the sound better. It just makes noise louder. Then you have some say there is a difference between some receivers and some amps. Then there's me lol. I know there can be a very slight difference between receivers and amps. I'm not going to argue and get in a debate of arguing.

Then I wonder. Why have so many different amps and brands and prices when according to some, they all sound the same. I wonder about different parts having their own unique signature. Different materials used etc.

I'm kinda bummed because I like the idea of having a McIntosh processor and 5 channel amp. But if they sound the same as some will say, why even bother? Other then looks.

Even speakers sometimes don't sound that different then others.

And one thing I'm always curious is how much should sound cost? Because I've heard floor standing PSB I think, about $5k pair, didn't even sound $5k worth.
post #635 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just curious if I can get some assistance with the XPA-5. I just got the Integra 80.2 and everything is all hooked up. I have my RCA cables hooked up and the amp is set to unbalanced. I am using 14ga wire from the amp to the speakers with banana connectors in the back of the amp. I have more banana connectors coming tomorrow to plug into the speakers. XPA is plugged into the Emotiva CMX-6. I am getting a humming noise from the speakers. I am including a video so you can hear the faint noise. It happens with the integra off as well. Can that be the RCA cables, speaker wire or possibly or is this common using separates. It is my first time going this route so I am new using home amps. I know it can happen in cars if the RCA's are running next to the power wire but I didn't think it would happen with a shielded plug going into a line conditioner. Just curious if I am not thinking right and this is fine. With sound on you don't here the "white noise" as I'll call it. Hope that is enough info for a possible response. Otherwise the sound was fantastic after running audyssey.

Edit: I can't upload video from my phone.

Sent from my Motorola Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk 2
post #636 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Hi.
I got the marantz sr7007 today. Nice receiver hardware and GUI. Sound is fine. Nothing crazy awesome. I was hoping for the wow that I had with the marantz sr7005 but I didn't get the wow. I got a, hmm, ok, this ain't bad. Kinda cool. Compared to my Integra dtr 40.3? Not sure. So not enough audible difference that I can easily tell. I do notice a slight difference but not anything to get excited for. Just military channel listening so far.

The XPA-5 is a very nice looking and extremely gosh awful heavy ass amp! Huge too. From what I'm used to.

My room is 15' long x 8' high x 12' wide. Just a bed and small dresser in here. Carpet floor and window covers with good drapes.

All this amp stuff is confusing. You have some say a properly made amp won't make the sound better. It just makes noise louder. Then you have some say there is a difference between some receivers and some amps. Then there's me lol. I know there can be a very slight difference between receivers and amps. I'm not going to argue and get in a debate of arguing.

Then I wonder. Why have so many different amps and brands and prices when according to some, they all sound the same. I wonder about different parts having their own unique signature. Different materials used etc.

I'm kinda bummed because I like the idea of having a McIntosh processor and 5 channel amp. But if they sound the same as some will say, why even bother? Other then looks.

Even speakers sometimes don't sound that different then others.

And one thing I'm always curious is how much should sound cost? Because I've heard floor standing PSB I think, about $5k pair, didn't even sound $5k worth.

would love to have mcintosh tube amps.. and there other equipment... but way out of my price range... those tubes are so cool looking...
love to get a 10,000 cd player.

sound cost big bucks if you can get to 90% of high end sound your doing well for tons less...

i was down at the high end shop.. checking out the high end totem speakers with the mcintosh equipment real nice sound for a 50 k 2 speaker system..

cheers
post #637 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post

Just curious if I can get some assistance with the XPA-5. I just got the Integra 80.2 and everything is all hooked up. I have my RCA cables hooked up and the amp is set to unbalanced. I am using 14ga wire from the amp to the speakers with banana connectors in the back of the amp. I have more banana connectors coming tomorrow to plug into the speakers. XPA is plugged into the Emotiva CMX-6. I am getting a humming noise from the speakers. I am including a video so you can hear the faint noise. It happens with the integra off as well. Can that be the RCA cables, speaker wire or possibly or is this common using separates. It is my first time going this route so I am new using home amps. I know it can happen in cars if the RCA's are running next to the power wire but I didn't think it would happen with a shielded plug going into a line conditioner. Just curious if I am not thinking right and this is fine. With sound on you don't here the "white noise" as I'll call it. Hope that is enough info for a possible response. Otherwise the sound was fantastic after running audyssey.

Not normal. PM sent. Have you tried a Y connector?smile.gifsmile.gif
post #638 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Quote:

Not normal. PM sent. Have you tried a Y connector?smile.gifsmile.gif

haha, that will be last on the list of things to try! After more trouble shooting, I have determined it has to be my speaker wire. The hum is still present with all of the RCA's disconnected and the amp plugged into my surge protector. I didn't think my wire would be that bad to possibly cause a hum to go through the speakers. I must be crazy I guess.
post #639 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Ya there's not much audible difference between the Integra dtr 40.3 and the XPA-5 that I can hear. Integra does have pretty good sound though. Reviewers have used them and their processors a lot. Good brand. The only way I notice a difference is that using the XPA-5 is a bit louder then the Integra amp. So the Integra vol is set to 60. Speakers connected to Integra. It's loud. Keep the vol at 60 and connect the XPA-5 amp. Connect speakers to XPA. Sound is a tiny bit louder but overall sounds similar. So close I can't tell a difference.

If I played at loud vol I would possibly keep the amp because it does take off that load from the Integra. But I don't do loud.

OP did you recalibrate your system after hooking up the XPA-5?

Sony KDL 52W4100, Emotiva XPA 5,Pioneer Elite sc25, NAD T773 110x7,Onkyo DVD, Paradigm Studio 100s.Paradigm cc570,ADP,JBL E250
post #640 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz1 View Post

OP did you recalibrate your system after hooking up the XPA-5?

I was utilizing a Denon AVR4310CI as a receiver prior to getting the XPA-5. When I got the XPA-5, I did indeed notice a difference beyond the additional decibels. I ran Audyssey right after adding the XPA-5 and relegating the 4310 to pre/pro duty. Any change in the audio chain should be followed by re-calibration, IMO.
post #641 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Puberty is sometimes confusing isn't it? Perhaps when you mature from runnin to the Emo threads and hoping to get support in your attempt to stir manure you can remember that you have made posts like the ones you criticize.

So you can't look at that and figure it out? Wow.

I DO believe that amps can sound different(and have argued this on their forum and been gang attacked for daring to think so) though I didn't until I surprised myself in comparing two amps in my system. What I was doing in the post you object to, and apparently you're guilty of this yourself, was noting the hypocrisy of Emo fanboys who declare that all amps sound the same and then declare that the XPR amps lifted the veil off their system.

So they won't dare consider that another brand could sound any better than an XPA-5, but will readily accept the idea without proof, that the XPR's will sound better. It's typical fanboy thinking.
post #642 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I was utilizing a Denon AVR4310CI as a receiver prior to getting the XPA-5. When I got the XPA-5, I did indeed notice a difference beyond the additional decibels. I ran Audyssey right after adding the XPA-5 and relegating the 4310 to pre/pro duty. Any change in the audio chain should be followed by re-calibration, IMO.

Agreed hence my question to bugs1, I also am pleased with the results of XPA-5 + Pioneer sc25, and yes the stage and separation is better also less harsh than the sc25 solo
and this is no placebo effect either it was a definite noticeable improvement with my Studio 100s it means longer listening periods with no ill effects (listeners fatigue).

I can't say separate vs separate amps but in my case Pio receiver vs Pio+separate= improvement. again my experience.

Sony KDL 52W4100, Emotiva XPA 5,Pioneer Elite sc25, NAD T773 110x7,Onkyo DVD, Paradigm Studio 100s.Paradigm cc570,ADP,JBL E250
post #643 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

So you can't look at that and figure it out? Wow.

I DO believe that amps can sound different(and have argued this on their forum and been gang attacked for daring to think so) though I didn't until I surprised myself in comparing two amps in my system. What I was doing in the post you object to, and apparently you're guilty of this yourself, was noting the hypocrisy of Emo fanboys who declare that all amps sound the same and then declare that the XPR amps lifted the veil off their system. Oh, and grow up.

IF an amp sounds different it is not because it costs more as you seem to think. If it does all you claim your Parasound does then it is not acurate.
post #644 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM

Tell it to someone who cares, fanboy, and no, I don't think cost is the determining factor.
post #645 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM

I am very pleased with my new setup which is the Integra 80.2 and my XPA-5. It is a major step up for me from my 5 year old Yamaha RX-V861. I am pleased as punch with the sound and I have a lot to learn with the different settings of my Integra.
post #646 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't know what to think about my new purchase with all of these comments. I guess I will find out for myself on Monday...

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #647 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

I don't know what to think about my new purchase with all of these comments. I guess I will find out for myself on Monday...

Don't worry about those comments. Hook your new amp to your system, re-calibrate all the gear and enjoy the ride!

At the end the only important opinion is yours.

Fun times ahead for you, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family.
post #648 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Well, maybe this helps. I Just received my XPA-5 (ordered on Tuesday, I guess it helps to live within 15 miles of their office). Added to a system with an Onkyo 809, running Ascend speakers all the way around.

My initial impression after setting it up, running Audyssey, and listening for the last couple of hours:

-Added balance and additional clarity to my center channel, which is where I was really looking for improvement
-Soundstage is awesome in stereo, but it wasn't bad before to be honest
-Surround channels are GREATLY improved in both presence and activity. Again, I was using Audyssey before, ran it again, and this is the biggest difference I have noticed. I have the Onkyo powering the surround backs in a 7.1 configuration.
-Of course it is louder at comparable volume levels, as would be expected.

Overall, I am very pleased so far, looking forward to watching a movie soon to try out the bigger surround stage that I am noticing just watching hdtv.
post #649 of 2048 Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I never used audyse before or after. Emotiva emailed me and said a proper made amp doesn't change the sound. Only amplifies it. Make it louder. It has no processing to change the wave form etc. so if its not what I was expecting to send it back. I've got my RMA# so ill send it back within a week or so.

Sadly I think I'll have to spend at the very least $6k for any speakers I might prefer over my m&K.
post #650 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

A hum through your speakers is definitely not normal. If it happens with nothing hooked up to the XPA-5 but the power plug and the speakers, I would look to the power plug. I have an XPA-5 but I don't recall what type of plug that amp has. Is it just two blades into the power receptacle or does it have the third , round grounding plug as well? I'd look at mine but it would be a major undertaking to get at that plug.

If it has only two blades, try reversing the plug in the socket. You may have to use one of those three plugs to two converters to reverse it if it's a polarized plug. If it's a three prong plug, one of those three to 2 converter things may do the trick there as well by breaking the ground. I'm betting it's a ground loop of some sort, which is very common in audio/video setups.

I just read your question again, and you stated the Integra was off and the hum is still there, but are the rca cables from the integra to the XPA-5 still connected? There are lots of grounding points in a component system...the RCA plugs carry a ground for example, so that makes ground loops even more common . They can be eliminated though.
post #651 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm having second thoughts about keeping the marantz sr7007. Sigh. Why is this so hard for me ? Hmmm.
post #652 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I never used audyse before or after. Emotiva emailed me and said a proper made amp doesn't change the sound. Only amplifies it. Make it louder. It has no processing to change the wave form etc. so if its not what I was expecting to send it back. I've got my RMA# so ill send it back within a week or so.

That is very honest of Emo and is also true. If an amp changes the sound, then it is either defective or deliberately designed to do so (some people call this 'using the amp as tone control'). It follows that if amps do not change the sound, but just make it louder, then there can be no difference in SQ from one well-designed amp to another, if they are working as designed and not clipping etc. Good amps cannot and should not and will not make 'highs seem clearer' or 'vastly improve the soundstage' or 'make the imaging much more precise'. All those are functions of other equipment in the chain.

It will cost you some dollars to send the XPA back but consider it as the price to pay for what you have learned. It will save you a lot of wasted money in the future and will direct you to spending money where the big SQ differences are heard - the room and the speakers.

Quote:
Sadly I think I'll have to spend at the very least $6k for any speakers I might prefer over my m&K.

You have the 750s IIRC? (I have the S150s and SS150 Tripole surrounds). I have heard the 750s on demo and was impressed with them for the price and can understand why you say you may have to spend a lot to get better sound - but if you like the M&K sound, have you considered the S150s?  They will cost you way less than six grand.  They rarely come up on the secondhand market in good condition (people tend to keep them) but you can, for some reason, often find the SS150 Tripoles (described by some reviews as "the best surround speakers in the world" - although I take that with a grain of salt as there is no such thing as 'best' in that context, but it gives you an idea of how well received they are) available used. In fact I bought my own that way, in perfect condition, for about half the retail price. A pair was sold on eBay in the UK last week for a third of the new price (and also in perfect condition). Just a thought.

post #653 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an M&K S100B also. I want better sound then that. And Ken told me the 150 is a very similar speaker. He told me that all his have a family sound that would be very similar throughout. And I guess I'm just bored.

I have the B&W CM1. Trying to sell them. They're ok I guess. I heard the cm5 and they're not bad. But I want better then the cm series too. I had a pretty long demo of McIntosh XR100 and McIntosh mc452 450x2 and McIntosh c48 pre amp. I said if I could have my store credit raised I would have bought them right then. I'd get the matching xr50 and center. $28k though about. $10k for the xr100. $4k xr50. $2500 center. $6k mc8702 amp. $6k mx121. The mx121 is the same as the marantz sr7005 and av7005 UI and remote so that bothers me.

Sorry to get off the XPA topic. I'm just totally desperate to finish my system step by step. And right now I'm on the AVR. frown.gif
post #654 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have an M&K S100B also. I want better sound then that. And Ken told me the 150 is a very similar speaker. He told me that all his have a family sound that would be very similar throughout. And I guess I'm just bored.

The voicing is similar but they are vastly different speakers, hence the substantial price difference. The S150s (usually but not always the active versions) are the ones used by many pro sound studios, mixing rooms and editing suites:

20th Century Fox
Columbia Pictures
Brian Wilson
Buena Vista Sound/
Walt Disney Pictures
Dolby Laboratories Los Angeles
Dolby Laboratories New York
Dolby Laboratories San Francisco
DTS (Digital Theater Systems)
JAK Productions (George Lucas)
Kalimba Studios (Maurice White of
Earth, Wind & Fire)
LucasArts Entertainment
Skywalker Sound
Sony Pictures High-Definition
Sony Music NY
Sony Music Santa Monica
THX Division, Lucasfilm, Ltd.
Warner Bros. Studios

The following movies were mixed or edited on the speakers:

Apocalypse Now
The First Blockbuster with 5.1 audio

Band of Brothers
Probably the best Blu Ray box set?

Black Hawk Down
Oscar for Best Sound Mix - Mixed on MK loudspeakers

Castaway
Achievement in Sound

Chicago
Oscar for Best Sound Mix - Mixed on MK loudspeakers

Fantasia 2000
Disneys Masterpiece with Jazz and Classical Music in Surround Sound

Gone With the Wind
Another Hollywood Classic re mastered on MK loudspeakers

Iron Man
Another Oscar for Best Sound Editing with some help from MK loudspeakers

King Kong
Oscar Winning Soundtrack - Mixed on MK loudspeakers

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Best Sound Mix - Mixed on MK loudspeakers

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Best Sound Editing - Mixed on MK loudspeakers

Lost
Best Sound Editing in TV, Foley & Dialogue & ADR

Master & Commander

Pearl Harbour
Oscar Winning Soundtrack - Mixed on MK loudspeakers

Pirates of the Caribbean
Achievement in Sound Mixing, Achievement in Sound Editing

Ratatouille

Star Wars 1/2/3
The fastest selling DVD to date due on BD 12 Sept 2011

The Incredibles
Another Oscar Winning Soundtrack - Mix on MK loudspeakers

Please excuse long OT post.  @Mods: please delete if you feel it is too much.

post #655 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya that's a bit much.
I'm sure I'd like the 150.
post #656 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #657 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I've boxed up the XPA and marantz sr7007. I feel bummed. Don't know what to do.
post #658 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 AM

Would it help to do a search on what amp brands other M&K owners favor? That helped me when looking for an amp for my Paradigms.

On your results with the XPA amp, when I first put an XPA-3 in my system, I was perplexed on how the SQ was no better than the amp it replaced, an Adcom 5300. It went louder, but I wanted more than that. 3 years later I tried a Parasound Halo, and got the improvement in SQ that I had been looking for. But I don't want to steer you wrong, maybe Parasound wouldn't have synergy with M&K. But see what other owners are having success with.
post #659 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've boxed up the XPA and marantz sr7007. I feel bummed. Don't know what to do.

What is it you are looking for?  Why did you feel that the Integra was lacking?  Is there something about your sound that is less than ideal to your ears?

Do you have a dedicated room and/or would treatments be out of the question?

The usual places to look for SQ improvements, if that is what you are after, are the room and the speakers. Electronics really don't make much difference these days. If you give us some more clue, I am sure people will jump in with their ideas. You know now that amps make no real difference to SQ (with the provisos we have discussed) so you can stop looking there. A good AVR may be a solution for you if you have other issues besides SQ - eg you need more channels or Audyssey XT32 or whatever. If not, then I would stay with the Integra and look at the room and the speakers.

post #660 of 2048 Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would it help to do a search on what amp brands other M&K owners favor? That helped me when looking for an amp for my Paradigms.

On your results with the XPA amp, when I first put an XPA-3 in my system, I was perplexed on how the SQ was no better than the amp it replaced, an Adcom 5300. It went louder, but I wanted more than that. 3 years later I tried a Parasound Halo, and got the improvement in SQ that I had been looking for. But I don't want to steer you wrong, maybe Parasound wouldn't have synergy with M&K. But see what other owners are having success with.

You wanted more from an amp than it makes the input signal louder?  What? 

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page