AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpeant View Post

I have a XPA-5.

Every now and then it turns off and the red light #5 blinks with the yellow light.

Does anyone know what this is?

Read what gurkey said.

Quickie debug steps: First double-check the cables at the amp and the speaker and make very sure there are no stray wires. Sometimes a single strand or two will slip out and short to ground or to the other connector. I use a flashlight and sometimes a magnifying glass (yes, getting old). If nothing is seen, pull the wires at both ends, make sure the connectors are clean, and re-attach. If the problem persists, swap the cable at the amp end with another channel and see if the problem follows the cable/speaker or stays with the amp. If the former, replace the cable, and hope it's not the speaker itself though it could be. If the amp, contact Emotiva.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

That's not really a link to an Emotiva employee saying that emotiva amps are 'bright'. It's a link to someone saying that an Emotiva employee said that.  For an amp to sound 'bright' it would have to exhibit a rising frequency response at the top end. Emo amps don't do that, so they can't sound 'bright'.

Yes, and if you will go back and reread my post you will see that I mentioned a forum member who knew an Emotiva employee who said that to him. I didn't claim I read a post from an Emotiva employee saying that. I'm not sure we are still on topic, so if you have further questions perhaps you should message me.

I think it is on topic to discuss if the XPA-5 is 'bright' when there is nothing in the specs and/or test results to indicate that it could be. The word of someone isn't really all that valid when the test results show a flat response up to and above the threshold of audibility. Someone saying that 'someone said' means nothing - and we still have no proof that an Emotiva employee actually said what is being claimed anyway. Given the facts, I would be amazed if an Emotiva employee (or anyone else for that matter) could claim (and prove) that the XPA-5 is 'bright'. 

It is these sort of unproven claims that are bandied about which can get an amp a bad reputation. The fact is the amp measures flat so there is nothing that could indicate that it could sound 'bright'. Sorry to labour the point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1083 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The XPA line has a sterling reputation, I don't think you have to worry about that. But they do not match up well with every single speaker out there. It's no big deal, no amp brand can do that. Did you look at the Axiom speaker link I provided? You seem to have no opinion on that and it's another brand that has had issues with an XPA amp.
post #1084 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The XPA line has a sterling reputation, I don't think you have to worry about that. But they do not match up well with every single speaker out there. It's no big deal, no amp brand can do that. Did you look at the Axiom speaker link I provided? You seem to have no opinion on that and it's another brand that has had issues with an XPA amp.

I am sceptical of this 'matching' business wrt to Emo amps. It's possible that a certain speaker presents a peculiar load to the amp of course, but then it would probably so so to more or less any amp. I am unfamiliar with Axiom speakers though, so can't really comment on a specific case. Either way, the Emo amp exhibits a very flat response from 20Hz-20kHz so it should be good with any well-designed normal speaker.

post #1085 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:

Quote:

I am sceptical of this 'matching' business wrt to Emo amps. It's possible that a certain speaker presents a peculiar load to the amp of course, but then it would probably so so to more or less any amp. I am unfamiliar with Axiom speakers though, so can't really comment on a specific case. Either way, the Emo amp exhibits a very flat response from 20Hz-20kHz so it should be good with any well-designed normal speaker.

so get your emo amp and crank it up !!!! hear the improvement in sound quality.. !!!!! and enjoy..

huge improvement in s q....

cheers..
post #1086 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadube View Post

Quote:

Quote:

so get your emo amp and crank it up !!!! hear the improvement in sound quality.. !!!!! and enjoy..

huge improvement in s q....

cheers..

What would you say contributes to this "huge improvement in SQ"? 

post #1087 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM

da power LOL

i can hear oh yeah its all good!!!!!

come on over to emotiva forums.... they can tell you all about it..

cheers..
post #1088 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

I predict you're going to regret asking that:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466853/very-unhappy-with-denon-3313/60#post_23202331

Note how quickly the thread was abandoned once evidence was presented. Ironically, there are at least two issues with my use of the FR graph that a knowledgeable member would have picked out, but none were identified by "da power".
bo130 likes this.
post #1089 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Quote:

Note how quickly the thread was abandoned once evidence was presented. Ironically, there are at least two issues with my use of the FR graph that a knowledgeable member would have picked out, but none were identified by "da power".

you need da power

think you should get some emo power!

cheers
post #1090 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM

That might not be actually scientific, but are you saying your receiver didn't have any of this "da power"?
post #1091 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love my XPA-5. Thing is, 95% of the time you won't need it over AVR power at tolerable listening levels which won't piss off the rest of the family.

When you have those small windows of opportunity to crank up your volume though, that's when the XPA-5 shines.
post #1092 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I love my XPA-5. Thing is, 95% of the time you won't need it over AVR power at tolerable listening levels which won't piss off the rest of the family.

When you have those small windows of opportunity to crank up your volume though, that's when the XPA-5 shines.

bring your sunglasses to my house!!!!
post #1093 of 2048 Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM

And bring da power!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
bo130 likes this.
post #1094 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

LOL. What else is there to say? ;)  It's good to know that all four of my Emo amps have been fitted with Da Power....

bo130 likes this.

post #1095 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

did you get your ears fixed up by the way?

take your charts over to the emo forum... and tell them it makes no difference...

you need the power for good music dynamics period...

cheers..
post #1096 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 18
First you get da amp, den you get da power, den you get da women.
bo130 likes this.

It's these cans! He hates these cans!
post #1097 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

take your charts over to the emo forum... and tell them it makes no difference... .
Do they all know that they have "da power"? biggrin.gif
post #1098 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostillerz View Post

First you get da amp, den you get da power, den you get da women.

sounds like a good plan to me..

cheers
post #1099 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Quote:

take your charts over to the emo forum... and tell them it makes no difference... .
Do they all know that they have "da power"? biggrin.gif

some have more da power than others...

cheers..
post #1100 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Do some of dem have too much da power?
post #1101 of 2048 Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Quote:

Do some of dem have too much da power?

well i read today someone has 39,500 watts of power on his system..

cheers
post #1102 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yeah, he got that brand new miniature nuclear power plant for home use in his back yard hidden inside the dogs shelter...
post #1103 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Gostillerz and others, can we please keep the color commentary and off topic bantor down to a minimum?

Sony KDL46XBR2 :-o, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5,
, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds),

post #1104 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

did you get your ears fixed up by the way?

take your charts over to the emo forum... and tell them it makes no difference...

you need the power for good music dynamics period...

cheers..

How much of 'da power' do you need then to get these good results?  Is 300 watts for each channel enough?  When would that be so much better 'sounding' than 150 watts, if those 150 watts were driving the speakers as required?  I am intrigued as to how "power" (or even da power) has come to be synonymous with better SQ.

post #1105 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, can you recommend some cheap but reliable RCA interconnect for XPA-5 under $10 2M? What cables are you using?
post #1106 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 AM

Liked: 10
Is monoprice.com a safe place to use your credit card there?
post #1107 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 467
If you can wait for the emo sale. I got the emo x series 3m component cables 2 for 25$ shipped. They are very high quality and normally run 100$ for the pair

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #1108 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by allkob View Post

I have had only good experiences with Monoprice. However, Emo's cables are better. They're often on the Emporium board at great prices.

Video: Epson 5010 / SI Black Diamond G3 1.4 / Oppo BDP-103 / Darbee Darblet
Audio: Yamaha RX-A820 / Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200/ B&W: CM9s, CMC2, CM7s / Seaton Submersive HP
post #1109 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey guys, can you recommend some cheap but reliable RCA interconnect for XPA-5 under $10 2M? What cables are you using?

Monoprice. Blue Jeans. Anything else is unnecessary.

post #1110 of 2048 Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was when I last used mine there. No reason to think any differently now. They are also an AVS sponsor.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page