post #1352 of 2026 Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Where can I or how can I do this type of test? All this has me very curious and I'd love it.

Read these for starters. I am sure more will chime in too.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16295

You can also google "double blind testing in audio" for more stuff too.
post #1353 of 2026 Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Then why Mac?

Reputation, build quality, fit and finish, looks, resale value, service, made in America, etc, etc....

and of course it's a MAC! cool.gif
post #1354 of 2026 Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Nothing to do with sound. Hmm hehe.
I would buy Mac for those exact same reasons. But the cost vs something half makes an enormouse difference. Specially with it would take me acouple years to save for the Mac amp and processor at $12k. That's just super dooper crazy cost.
post #1355 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
If audiokarma is so great, why is runnin still here?

post #1356 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Whether or not you agree or believe it is your choice and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything unlike some members of this forum, EE degree or not.

Yes, the snide pejorative is far more honourable...
post #1357 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Allow me to throw another example of science. When a drug made by a pharmecutical company is created, there is a group that is gathered together to be involved in a double-blind study to determine the drugs effectiveness. Some of the people involved in the test are given a placebo (sugar pill). Some are given the active drug. Both are later asked to describe if they felt any benefit from the pill that they were given. You may be surprised to learn that some people who are given a placebo respond with something other than "I noticed no change".

That is science. It's designed to tell if there's a real benefit from the substance.

And this goes well beyond DBT in pharmecuticals. I've known parents who have pretended to give their kids a "magic drug" to cure whatever ills is present in the child. And, time and time again, it works. smile.gif But, of course, there's nothing involved that actually makes the child improve other than their belief (a key word) that they're given a cure. But it's belief, it's not based on fact.

It's a similar situation in the audio world. One might think that one device is better than another, for whatever reason (it's more expensive or flashy looking are two possible reasons). If belief is all you have to go on, then it isn't much different than the child given the "magic cure". You can be given all of the "song and dance" about the advantages of product A over product B, but how can you know for sure if the benefits exist outside of subjective opinion? That is where actual testing is done.

And, whether you like to believe it or not, there is real research done within the audio world. If you choose to dismiss this field, that is certainly your perogative, but it doesn't invalidate the field nor the research done by people who have an education in it.
Quote:
There are studies and articles that say sometimes there are differences and tests and articles that say there are not. It goes both ways.

Which tests done in a strict level-matched DBT protocol (for example, a test result published in a peer-reviewed AES paper) conflict with one another? Or, are you talking about a single blind or no-blind test, or a purely subjective opinion like in a magazine or web article?

The whole point of what I (and some others) are trying to tell you is that there is a real difference between the subjective (like an opinion) versus non subjective (controlled test).

Excellent and well-reasoned post IMO.

One thing you didn't mention explicitly is expectation bias, a properly, scientifically researched and understood phenomenon which has been defined like this: "the ten*dency for exper*i*menters to believe, cer*tify, and pub*lish data that agree with their expec*ta*tions for the out*come of an exper*i*ment, and to dis*be*lieve, dis*card, or down*grade the cor*re*spond*ing weight*ings for the data that appear to con*flict with those expec*ta*tions".

Anyone going into a sighted test, especially when already favouring one unit over another, is going to be subject to expectation bias. It is a subconscious thing and cannot be controlled. When someone says something like "even if I know what I am hearing it won't influence me at all", that is, frankly, just plain not correct. That isn't my opinion - it is a proven fact. It is also the reason the drugs companies you mention do blind tests of course.

People in these forums often have trouble differentiating opinion from fact, unfortunately. In my recent posts, the subjects I put forward were facts, not opinions. As such they can be verified by scientific method.  People may choose to ignore the facts and believe whatever they wish. There is also a scientific understanding of that phenomenon and it is called the Semmelweis Reflex. This has been defined as: "a tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs or paradigms". Here is some info on it: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semmelweis_reflex

For anyone genuinely interested in trying to further their knowledge, as opposed to clinging to their beliefs, here is an excellent study where a $200 Pioneer amp was blind tested against a $12,000 Futterman Monoblock Array and in the tests the results were 54-46% at hearing a difference. IOW, pure. random chance, or no reliable difference whatsoever:

http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/receivers/amplifier-sound-quality.aspx

I am not trying to "force my views on others". People can believe whatever they choose to believe. But in a place where people gather to discuss Audio-Visual Science (the clue is in the name), subjectivism isn’t really going to cut it, especially in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence. I intervened because I thought at the time that I could help a member make a good decision and to spend his money more wisely, using objective facts to help persuade him. I can see that the attempt was futile and I will think twice before offering any such assistance to certain posters in the future.

GIEGAR likes this.
post #1358 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497 View Post

Quote:

Then why Mac?

Reputation, build quality, fit and finish, looks, resale value, service, made in America, etc, etc....

and of course it's a MAC! cool.gif

And every one of those is an excellent reason to own the McIntosh. Nobody has said otherwise - well I certainly didn’t and I don't think anyone else did in the recent discussion. The most important thing is that you know why you bought the McIntosh! :)

post #1359 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:

Nothing to do with sound. Hmm hehe.
I would buy Mac for those exact same reasons. But the cost vs something half makes an enormouse difference. Specially with it would take me acouple years to save for the Mac amp and processor at $12k. That's just super dooper crazy cost.

I understand why you want the Mac gear. What I do not understand is the fact that you could build a system to enjoy now for a fraction of the cost that will in my opinion sound just as good. I would love to have a Classe' prepro with big money amps but I won't spend money I don't have. With that I feel I have a real nice sounding system that I could afford and one that I enjoy every day smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1360 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Snide pejorative?
Ok, I get it and presumably someone else or the mod thought my post was a snide pejorative as well whether it was meant to be or not.
Another snide pejorative and I'll exit the Emotiva threads as they are way too highly charged even when pages of posts have nothing to do with the thread topic. i.e., XPA-5 OWNERS Thread.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #1361 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the led on the xpr5? They like level meters that move with sound or what? Sorry it's not an xpa5 q.
post #1362 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Excellent and well-reasoned post IMO.

One thing you didn't mention explicitly is expectation bias, a properly, scientifically researched and understood phenomenon which has been defined like this: "the ten*dency for exper*i*menters to believe, cer*tify, and pub*lish data that agree with their expec*ta*tions for the out*come of an exper*i*ment, and to dis*be*lieve, dis*card, or down*grade the cor*re*spond*ing weight*ings for the data that appear to con*flict with those expec*ta*tions".

Anyone going into a sighted test, especially when already favouring one unit over another, is going to be subject to expectation bias. It is a subconscious thing and cannot be controlled. When someone says something like "even if I know what I am hearing it won't influence me at all", that is, frankly, just plain not correct. That isn't my opinion - it is a proven fact. It is also the reason the drugs companies you mention do blind tests of course.

People in these forums often have trouble differentiating opinion from fact, unfortunately. In my recent posts, the subjects I put forward were facts, not opinions. As such they can be verified by scientific method.  People may choose to ignore the facts and believe whatever they wish. There is also a scientific understanding of that phenomenon and it is called the Semmelweis Reflex. This has been defined as: "a tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs or paradigms". Here is some info on it: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semmelweis_reflex

For anyone genuinely interested in trying to further their knowledge, as opposed to clinging to their beliefs, here is an excellent study where a $200 Pioneer amp was blind tested against a $12,000 Futterman Monoblock Array and in the tests the results were 54-46% at hearing a difference. IOW, pure. random chance, or no reliable difference whatsoever:

http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/receivers/amplifier-sound-quality.aspx

I am not trying to "force my views on others". People can believe whatever they choose to believe. But in a place where people gather to discuss Audio-Visual Science (the clue is in the name), subjectivism isn’t really going to cut it, especially in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence. I intervened because I thought at the time that I could help a member make a good decision and to spend his money more wisely, using objective facts to help persuade him. I can see that the attempt was futile and I will think twice before offering any such assistance to certain posters in the future.

Good Post, but the whole concept of even doing drug trials is seriously flawed (in medical field) but it's the only thing we have to do test on humans before the medications come to market. Example if the tests subjects get the flu and the flu spreads throughout the test subjects that is included as a side effect of the medication in which most cases it never had anything to do with the medication. So yes it is a decent example but far from an analogy on what happens in a DBT in Audio, there are way too many variables. What I find funny is people that tout the whole DBT testing still own expensive gear, not all but some. My take find something that works and sounds good to you within our budget and enjoy, I think some times people more into the gear than the music being produced. I have had very expensive gear in my house in the past, because I could afford it, plus working at a audio store part time for fun helps keep the cost down. Those were the good old days, now with 3 young boys, I try to look for better audio deals, right now I happen to be trying out a Emotiva XPA-2, and hopefully I like what I hear. I suppose perception plays a big role as well, and if I perceive some thing sounds good to my ears, that's all that counts! wink.gif
MUDCAT45 likes this.
post #1363 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
From amps to drug trials, is that because somebody asked about the LSD's on the front of the XPR-5? smile.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1364 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

LED
post #1365 of 2026 Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
It's a joke. LSD is a drug.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1366 of 2026 Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are the led on the xpr5? They like level meters that move with sound or what? Sorry it's not an xpa5 q.

This explains it buggs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLk_l0r1HwE
cr136124 likes this.
post #1367 of 2026 Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Snide pejorative?
Ok, I get it and presumably someone else or the mod thought my post was a snide pejorative as well whether it was meant to be or not.
No, you don't get it. That comment was specifically in reference to your sentence I originally quoted. Are you referring to your deleted post? There was nothing snide about that.
Quote:

Another snide pejorative and I'll exit the Emotiva threads as they are way too highly charged even when pages of posts have nothing to do with the thread topic. i.e., XPA-5 OWNERS Thread.
That's the shot Milt!
post #1368 of 2026 Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks giegar. Makes me want one.
post #1369 of 2026 Old 06-20-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Good Post, but the whole concept of even doing drug trials is seriously flawed (in medical field) but it's the only thing we have to do test on humans before the medications come to market. Example if the tests subjects get the flu and the flu spreads throughout the test subjects that is included as a side effect of the medication in which most cases it never had anything to do with the medication. So yes it is a decent example but far from an analogy on what happens in a DBT in Audio, there are way too many variables. What I find funny is people that tout the whole DBT testing still own expensive gear, not all but some. My take find something that works and sounds good to you within our budget and enjoy, I think some times people more into the gear than the music being produced. I have had very expensive gear in my house in the past, because I could afford it, plus working at a audio store part time for fun helps keep the cost down. Those were the good old days, now with 3 young boys, I try to look for better audio deals, right now I happen to be trying out a Emotiva XPA-2, and hopefully I like what I hear. I suppose perception plays a big role as well, and if I perceive some thing sounds good to my ears, that's all that counts! wink.gif

Generally in agreement. Audio ABX testing is so well-established and the procedures so well understood that I can't see any reason why they cannot be relied on.

Point taken about advocates of blind testing owning expensive gear. I own some fairly expensive gear - but it is in the area where the gear makes a difference to the sound, (speakers and subs) not in the area where it doesn't (electronics in general). I keep repeating myself but it often seems to take a long time to convince some people - the biggest bang for the buck in sound quality improvement terms is also one of the least expensive: treating the room. And placing the speakers and subs correctly wrt to the modal responses of the room is FREE, and can make a huge difference to the final SQ. Look at this graph of my room/speakers when I was recently experimenting with speaker/sub placement:

Red is the 'before' placement was optimised and green is 'after'. Easy to see which anyone would prefer. And like I say, that sort if improvement is FREE. And it is way, way, way bigger than any difference any properly-working electronics will ever make. 

post #1370 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Kbarns. I hope were ok. I calmed down and even apologized for wrongly expressing myself/anger. I need to learn and do better. So I hope you and others will forgive me.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #1371 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kbarns. I hope were ok. I calmed down and even apologized for wrongly expressing myself/anger. I need to learn and do better. So I hope you and others will forgive me.

Buggs, I appreciate your remarks. It takes courage to apologise and I respect you for it. So, no worries... :)

post #1372 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:

No problem here smile.gif. As Keith said it takes a lot to step up and apologize when one feels they were wrong. Nice job!

Bill
kbarnes701 likes this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #1373 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wrong in how I expressed myself that's for sure. About the other stuff I'm sure I was wrong too and right about something lol. But since I don't know enough about the subject I don't know what that is lol.

I have thought about how we listen in the real world. That's different then professional tests and to me real worl is what counts because we don't all set up our systems the same was as in tests. So something may not in tests be different but maybe its possible to be different to the hearer in their system then what tests show. And maybe the same thing sounds different to different people in different systems. I'm only throwing this out. Because if I compare two amps that should be the same in tests maybe in the real world, eg my room and my system I may hear something different between them.

That's about the only thing I can think of as possible and to keep me from OCDing over the unknown to me.

Another thing about tests is they don't test every brand and every amp/receiver. Just throwing that out too lol.

And me personally. I liked the XPA-5. It was doing its job good when I had it. It was not totally easy for me to return it either. I like the Mac look and feel and heft and what I've read, so much that I'm guessing ill have more peace of mind then with anything else no matter the cost or performance. Even if that cost $60k and really did sons hugely better if that were possible. I just love the look and heft so much of the Mac mc205 and others.
I agree for me this is nutty because of my income. But I'm OCD really bad when it comes to home theater.
post #1374 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM

Liked: 10
I have a question very nob question but is it okay to leave my amp on at all times, say for instance I just turn my tv and cable box off but leave my pioneer receiver and amp on. My xpa-5 is connected to the receiver through pre-outs. I ask because i heard that turning your receiver or amp on and off isnt ideal because of the cycling of the power on and off, i would perfer to leave them both on at all times 24/7 just dont know if im shortn the life span
Hope someone can give me some information on it thanks in advance.
post #1375 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

I have a question very nob question but is it okay to leave my amp on at all times, say for instance I just turn my tv and cable box off but leave my pioneer receiver and amp on. My xpa-5 is connected to the receiver through pre-outs. I ask because i heard that turning your receiver or amp on and off isnt ideal because of the cycling of the power on and off, i would perfer to leave them both on at all times 24/7 just dont know if im shortn the life span

Saw this agreeable post by "anuragn" in the thread "Leaving your Amp ON 'all the time'" over at hifivision.com
Quote:
Many of the modern amps (or AVRs) have a standby power consumption of ~0.1 watts. Which translates to 2.4W per day, which is equivalent to the power consumed by a 36W slim tubelight in 4 mins. Hence, power saving is not that big an issue. The bigger issue is exposure to voltage fluctations/ spikes, given the Indian conditions. So better keep it switched off. But in theory, keeping the amp in standby generates some heat, which prevents moisture condensation, especially in coastal areas or in monsoons.

Sony KDL46XBR2, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5, Custom built LF, RF, C + 2 subs, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds), Blu-ray, BD-A, DVD & DVD-A Collection, SACD Collection | Future: Panasonic VIERA TX65AX900 or Toshiba's 65L9400U 4K Ultra HD TV
post #1376 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was wrong in how I expressed myself that's for sure. About the other stuff I'm sure I was wrong too and right about something lol. But since I don't know enough about the subject I don't know what that is lol.

I have thought about how we listen in the real world. That's different then professional tests and to me real worl is what counts because we don't all set up our systems the same was as in tests. So something may not in tests be different but maybe its possible to be different to the hearer in their system then what tests show. And maybe the same thing sounds different to different people in different systems. I'm only throwing this out. Because if I compare two amps that should be the same in tests maybe in the real world, eg my room and my system I may hear something different between them.

There is no doubt that people will hear differences when they compare one amp with another at home. The question is, where are the differences arising from?  The answer lies in the way they conduct their tests. By not level matching to +/- 0.5dB and by not having the facility to play the same musical passage over and over with instant switching between amps (to name just two things) they are more or less guaranteeing they will hear a difference. But the difference isn't coming from the amps - it's coming from outside factors. The benefit of proper testing is that the method will eliminate these variables and so any difference that is, or is not, heard can be guaranteed to be coming from the amps. In almost all tests where this is done scientifically, the answer is always the same: people cannot reliably hear any difference between the amps under test.

Check out this post, posted by a highly experienced electrical engineer:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475388/how-many-necessary-pieces-of-equipment-we-need-in-an-hi-end-system/120#post_23418473

His conclusion is:

"If you want two amplifiers to sound different, simply play different musical selections or even the identical same musical selection at different times. That is what almost all audiophiles do. Therefore they pretty much universally perceive that all amplifiers sound different, and the way they compare them, they do!

Quote:
Another thing about tests is they don't test every brand and every amp/receiver. Just throwing that out too lol.

That is undeniably true. But think of it like this: if someone tested, say, just a hundred of the thousands of different amps available, and each time the result was the same -- people could not reliably differentiate between the units under test -- why would it make sense to believe that the next test that comes up would show any difference?  Nobody has tested every fingerprint in the world, but we know that no two people have the same prints simply because in every test ever done, that is the result. IOW, not having tested 100% of the sample universe does not invalidate the results of the tests which have been undertaken. 

Quote:
And me personally. I liked the XPA-5. It was doing its job good when I had it. It was not totally easy for me to return it either. I like the Mac look and feel and heft and what I've read, so much that I'm guessing ill have more peace of mind then with anything else no matter the cost or performance. Even if that cost $60k and really did sons hugely better if that were possible. I just love the look and heft so much of the Mac mc205 and others.

Buggs - this is a perfectly great reason to buy the McIntosh. Pride of ownership and peace of mind are not things to be dismissed. All I am trying to say is that you shouldn’t expect any audible difference between the McIntosh and the XPA-5. If you go into the deal with your eyes open, and the McIntosh gives you pleasure and peace of mind, then go for it. But be aware that you could have spent a lot less money and made a far greater audible difference by investing elsewhere.  

For me personally, all I care about is the sound quality. I don't care what the equipment looks like or what it costs or how heavy it is etc - if it gives me the SQ I want then it is 100% right IMO. I used to love the look and feel of the gear and I wasted a lot of money - then I discovered if I placed the gear out of sight (mine is in an equipment closet but a cupboard would do (suitably ventilated) I could just forget what it looked like!  

Think of this: if you bought the McIntosh and put it in a separate closet, and I came along in the night and swapped it for an XPA-5 without you knowing, you could listen to your system for weeks, or months and you would never discover what I had done until the next time you looked in the closet!  Is that worth the extra $$$ to you?  If so, buy the McIntosh!

Quote:
I agree for me this is nutty because of my income. But I'm OCD really bad when it comes to home theater.

You can be cured of your AV OCD-ism. And you will save a fortune while still getting the benefits of great sound. Consider hiding your gear out of plain sight...

post #1377 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

Yes. In fact some say it is better for the amp than switching it all time and will actually increase its lifespan. This is because an electronic unit usually is under most stress when you fire it up. Think light bulbs - when do they fail?  Almost always at switch on.

FWIW one of my amps has been switched on more or less permanently for about 20 years.

post #1378 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for your kind response.
I have thought about putting my equipment in my closet and running a long hdmi cable to the TV along with the speaker cables. However I don't know because I don't know how to deal with air. In this case I'd probably get the XPA-5 and just use that with my Integra DTR 40.3 as the processor. This I don't mind since it is a good amp and cheap.

Right now I have the Paradigm Studio 60 v5 and Paradigm Studio CC-590 center. I'm using my M&K surr55t tripoles for surround right now till I sell my M&K 750 system. I was thinking I could buy the XPA-5 amp with the money I get for selling my speakers.

I really love the McIntosh XR100 speaker and would love that system as a 5.0. The McIntosh XR 100 front pair. McIntosh LCR80 center and McIntosh XR50 surround. I wonder how the XPA-5 would do with that system?

However I also love Legacy Audio. They look so awesome and everything I've read reaylly makes me want them. Like the Legacy Focus HD or Legacy Focus SE or below like the Classic HD or something. And I read audioholics review and saw the video review just a few hrs ago they did on the Legacy Focus SE. He used the Emoyiva XPA-1 amps for the Focus SE. yummy!!!!
post #1379 of 2026 Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Arny has stated that before an ABX test the amps are measured and the ones that measure the same are compared.

Seems like they have always sounded the same in such strictly controlled testing. Very surprising.
post #1380 of 2026 Old 06-22-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you for your kind response.
I have thought about putting my equipment in my closet and running a long hdmi cable to the TV along with the speaker cables. However I don't know because I don't know how to deal with air. In this case I'd probably get the XPA-5 and just use that with my Integra DTR 40.3 as the processor. This I don't mind since it is a good amp and cheap.

Not sure what you mean by the part I have highlighted in bold. Speaker cables are easy to run and to hide. HDMI less so - but still do-able. A decent (Monoprice) HDMI cable will usually work without problems up to 30 feet or so and maybe beyond. For lengths greater than that there are other solutions - see the Monoprice website.

Quote:
Right now I have the Paradigm Studio 60 v5 and Paradigm Studio CC-590 center. I'm using my M&K surr55t tripoles for surround right now till I sell my M&K 750 system. I was thinking I could buy the XPA-5 amp with the money I get for selling my speakers.

I really love the McIntosh XR100 speaker and would love that system as a 5.0. The McIntosh XR 100 front pair. McIntosh LCR80 center and McIntosh XR50 surround. I wonder how the XPA-5 would do with that system?

However I also love Legacy Audio. They look so awesome and everything I've read reaylly makes me want them. Like the Legacy Focus HD or Legacy Focus SE or below like the Classic HD or something. And I read audioholics review and saw the video review just a few hrs ago they did on the Legacy Focus SE. He used the Emoyiva XPA-1 amps for the Focus SE. yummy!!!!

It is always difficult to recommend speakers because they are one area where big sound differences do exist. I would make sure that whatever you choose is of the right efficiency to work at the required SPLs in your room and that they are capable of going as loud as you want them to - not all 'audiophile' speakers can meet the demands of movie soundtracks for example. I would not worry in the least at how they perform below about 80Hz because you will hopefully be using a subwoofer anyway (you haven’t mentioned subs). And, unlike amps, speakers cannot be hidden away, so the looks can be very important for some people - and the looks will add to the cost, unfortunately. 

I still think that to some extent you are a 'brand groupie" (and I do not mean that unkindly) so you are probably going to spend money that does not all find its way into sound quality - but we have done that to death and I respect your wishes, so long as you understand the potential pitfalls of your decisions. My own speakers, for example, are M&K S150s across the front and M&K SS150 Tripoles for surrounds - to describe them as 'pig ugly' is actually being kind to them :)  But for HT use I believe they are virtually unsurpassed - and the HT room is dark so I never really see them much. Would I want them in my living room?  Well....

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page