post #151 of 2081 Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post

Thats the problem, I shouldn't have to go all the way to the top if the system is correct....sorry but I am NOT going to have a finger pointed at me for posting truthful things....should have been able to be fixed with the 1st person I talked to...if not...that person needs to be fired. End of story.

whatever. lol good luck in firing every person that makes a minor mistake in life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2081 Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a UPA-7, has anyone "upgraded" from a UPA-7 to an XPA-5? and if so what are your observations?
post #153 of 2081 Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

whatever. lol good luck in firing every person that makes a minor mistake in life.

Good luck on telling everyone who has a damaged Emotiva that they are wrong and shouldn't say anything...glad it worked out for both of us.

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
post #154 of 2081 Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 344
In my experience, Emotiva customer service is more pleasant when the problem is somewhat easy. When it comes to identifying faulty hardware, it becomes a bit of a toss-up. The first time I had to send it in, they gladly offered to look at it for me (turns out nothing was wrong with the Xpa-5 itself.) the second time i had to send it in, i had to firmly demand the RMA# because they gentleman on the phone kept trying to convince me that it was my sources causing the problem, even though the problem occurred with no sources connected. Lo and behold, they received it, determined that an amp module that required changing, and fixed it and shipped it back to me the same day it arrived. I would say their hardware service is stellar. With the customer service over the phone, this a bit less certain. One way or another, I'm still a huge Emotiva fan and will eventually upgrade to five XPA-1 mono blocks......as soon as I figure out where to put them.
post #155 of 2081 Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

...and will eventually upgrade to five XPA-1 mono blocks......as soon as I figure out where to put them.

You are running out of power with an XPA-5?

Remind me to wear hearing protection if you invite me over for a movie

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #156 of 2081 Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I watch his youytube channel and I believe he has klipsch speakers like me so I doubt he is running out of power...pobally wants a LOT of head room!

Klipsch RC64II Center
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

post #157 of 2081 Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

In my experience, Emotiva customer service is more pleasant when the problem is somewhat easy. When it comes to identifying faulty hardware, it becomes a bit of a toss-up. The first time I had to send it in, they gladly offered to look at it for me (turns out nothing was wrong with the Xpa-5 itself.) the second time i had to send it in, i had to firmly demand the RMA# because they gentleman on the phone kept trying to convince me that it was my sources causing the problem, even though the problem occurred with no sources connected. Lo and behold, they received it, determined that an amp module that required changing, and fixed it and shipped it back to me the same day it arrived. I would say their hardware service is stellar. With the customer service over the phone, this a bit less certain. One way or another, I'm still a huge Emotiva fan and will eventually upgrade to five XPA-1 mono blocks......as soon as I figure out where to put them.

I agree, I love the product but over the phone customer service should be worked on a bit.

Klipsch RC64II Center
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

post #158 of 2081 Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Lol I should keep some earplugs in the credenza for such occasions! Lol
post #159 of 2081 Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watch his youytube channel and I believe he has klipsch speakers like me so I doubt he is running out of power...pobally wants a LOT of head room!

I do indeed currently use Klipsch.....love the horns. I think they sound great with the emotiva XPA-5, but I eventually plan on upgrading the speakers. (Palladiums? ......in my dreams) and am definitely looking to have as much headroom as possible.
post #160 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,
I just purchased an Emotiva XPA-5 to power my JBL LS40, LS center and Paradigm ADP370.
I noticed that there's hissing(not hum or buzz) sound coming off the speakers when I'm not playing anything.

I already tried removing all the inputs(RCA) to the XPA-5 and still I can hear the hiss from about 2 feet away.

I also tried disconnecting all my equipments and household appliances from the wall outlet but still the hissing sound is present.

Could this be because of my AC power source? Can a power line conditioner eliminate the hiss?

Thanks in advance :-)
post #161 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
All external amps hiss, it's normal. At 2 feet away, what is your volume at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Guys,
I just purchased an Emotiva XPA-5 to power my JBL LS40, LS center and Paradigm ADP370.
I noticed that there's hissing(not hum or buzz) sound coming off the speakers when I'm not playing anything.

I already tried removing all the inputs(RCA) to the XPA-5 and still I can hear the hiss from about 2 feet away.

I also tried disconnecting all my equipments and household appliances from the wall outlet but still the hissing sound is present.

Could this be because of my AC power source? Can a power line conditioner eliminate the hiss?

Thanks in advance :-)

post #162 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, I love the product but over the phone customer service should be worked on a bit.

We'll it's not cost affective to place techs on the basic csr phone line. I think emotiva should have a escalation system and if the basic csr can't assist, then a tech should be the next level.
post #163 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

All external amps hiss, it's normal.

No, they don't.

"Hissing" is a sign of one of the following:

(1) noise getting into the system from upstream of the amp (Only solution there is to find it and kill it. Sometimes it's as simple as removing a cable and reconnecting it, or swapping one out. Other times, a source needs to be replaced.);

(2) bad amp-speaker matching (e.g. very high-gain amp with very sensitive speaker);

(3) poor amplifier design generally.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #164 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll add another possibility to the post above. A fourth possibility could be a problem with the amplifier itself.
post #165 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So you're going to sit there and tell me every amp hooked up has absolutely no hissing? Lol, ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

No, they don't.

"Hissing" is a sign of one of the following:

(1) noise getting into the system from upstream of the amp (Only solution there is to find it and kill it. Sometimes it's as simple as removing a cable and reconnecting it, or swapping one out. Other times, a source needs to be replaced.);

(2) bad amp-speaker matching (e.g. very high-gain amp with very sensitive speaker);

(3) poor amplifier design generally.

post #166 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you're going to sit there and tell me every amp hooked up has absolutely no hissing? Lol, ok

Please re-read my earlier post with an eye to actually understanding it, OK. And then read below.

Yes, a well-optimized system will have no audible noise, even very close to the speaker.

If an amp hisses, something in the system is off. It could be a source upstream of the amp. (Though if it hisses with no sources, that's obviously not an issue.) It could be a wire issue. (Unplug and replug before replacing; also consider routing for both line- and speaker- level connections. It could be an equipment matching issue. It could be a problem with the design or build of the amp.

With Emotiva amps, I suspect the culprit more often than not is upstream equipment-amp-speaker matching. They have very low input sensitivity* - and quite a high gain. So any upstream noise will be amplified as if it were signal (and signal levels will be low), and higher gain is generally speaking going to be noisier than lower gain.

The Emo amps seem like excellent product, especially considering the prices. I've heard them twice, once on a lowish-efficiency system (low noise, worked great) and once on my 96dB/W/m reference mains (yeah....no; compared to the amps built into a Denon AVR-4308ci I had no sonic advantage once levels were matched, and lots more noise). But one has to understand the design tradeoffs that go into them, just like anything else.

*In one respect, the low input sensitivity is a marketing gimmick: it makes buyers think they "sound better" than other amps, simply because because for a given input they get quite a bit louder than most other amps. However, the low input sensitivity also makes them quite useful to drive active speakers with crossover/EQ handled by a DSP with low output levels, such as the unbalanced miniDSP.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #167 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In your quoted sentence it should say "high sensitivity" instead of "low sensitivity" or the statement wouldn't make sense.
The Emotivas have high input sensitivity to deal with the rather lowish output of AVR preamp outs.
post #168 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

In your quoted sentence it should say "high sensitivity" instead of "low sensitivity" or the statement wouldn't make sense.
The Emotivas have high input sensitivity to deal with the rather lowish output of AVR preamp outs.

I always get those twisted around for some reason. So, "high sensitivity" means lower voltage in required to get full output? Mental block, I guess.

Though I'm not sure that AVR pre outs are as low in output as you think. My Anthem, for instance, specs its pre outs at 4Vrms, I think. The Denon 3808 and 4308 had pre outs in that range, too. Plenty of people drive pro amps directly off them without needing a bump box.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #169 of 2081 Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Please re-read my earlier post with an eye to actually understanding it, OK. And then read below.

The poster appears to prefer superficial disruptive posting. To each his own.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #170 of 2081 Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is the xpa-5 really 19" deep? Daaaaaamn.. I'm gonna have to cut the back out on my console. Can someone verify this depth? Also, do you guys think I will hear a difference going from my denon 4311ci to this xpa-5 powering my energy veritas 5.1 system, 6.3, 5.2c and VS rears.

My 6.3 specs. http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...pecifications/

5.2c specs http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...pecifications/

VS rears. http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...pecifications/

I have the svs pb13 ultra subwoofer, I'm guessing upgrading to the xpa-5 amp will not have any effect on this right?

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #171 of 2081 Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post

Is the xpa-5 really 19" deep? Daaaaaamn.. I'm gonna have to cut the back out on my console. Can someone verify this depth? Also, do you guys think I will hear a difference going from my denon 4311ci to this xpa-5 powering my energy veritas 5.1 system, 6.3, 5.2c and VS rears.

My 6.3 specs. http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...pecifications/

5.2c specs http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...pecifications/

VS rears. http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...pecifications/

I have the svs pb13 ultra subwoofer, I'm guessing upgrading to the xpa-5 amp will not have any effect on this right?

We are too much alike. All the good stuff. I use the denon 4311. I ran it 9.1 without amps. I have a emotiva upa 7 I haven't connected lately. I have a emotiva xpa 5 connected to the 5 main speakers in a 11.4 system. Different speakers though. The upa has been tested as slightly cleaner than the xpa with lower noise floor also. I paused tv in and turned receiver full volume. With the xpa5 I could barely hear hiss from tweeter one foot away. Two feet away disappeared. This speaker playing would do 105db at 1 foot easy. Not a problem. Some amps probably are cleaner. Not worried about it. I can play the denon very loud without the receiver or amp getting very hot. Makes ventilation problems a thing of the past.
post #172 of 2081 Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

We are too much alike. All the good stuff. I use the denon 4311. I ran it 9.1 without amps. I have a emotiva upa 7 I haven't connected lately. I have a emotiva xpa 5 connected to the 5 main speakers in a 11.4 system. Different speakers though. The upa has been tested as slightly cleaner than the xpa with lower noise floor also. I paused tv in and turned receiver full volume. With the xpa5 I could barely hear hiss from tweeter one foot away. Two feet away disappeared. This speaker playing would do 105db at 1 foot easy. Not a problem. Some amps probably are cleaner. Not worried about it. I can play the denon very loud without the receiver or amp getting very hot. Makes ventilation problems a thing of the past.

So would you say its a worthy upgrade from the 4311 to the xpa-5 or a waste of money?

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #173 of 2081 Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

So would you say its a worthy upgrade from the 4311 to the xpa-5 or a waste of money?

Forgot to mention I have dual sv pb12+ subs. As long as you don't need to play super loud in a large room or want to add several more drivers then no you should be fine with the 4311. Those are very efficient speakers (93db). And you have an active subwoofer. I have mostly inefficient 4ohm mtm speakers that cost less, but handle just as much power as the V-6.3. And I have bad ventilation.
post #174 of 2081 Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dasani, I upgraded from a Denon AVR-4310CI to an XPA-5 w/ 4310CI as preamp and the difference was very noticeable, and my room isn't large. I believe the 4310 and 4311 are identical, with the exception of HDMI 1.4 inputs/outputs. If so, then our experiences would be audibly congruent in an upgrade. If you've got the funds, I would definitely suggest purchasing an XPA-5.
post #175 of 2081 Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Does anyone have any problems with the XLR pots on the amp being flimsy and the xlr cable being very loose in it? I've been having problems with 2 of the 5 xlr outs, where the cable will pretty much just fall out, it's not tight at all (tried 5 different brands of XLR's). This makes for a 6dB or so loss until it make the proper connection. What a pain in the but, I know I can use rca but I shouldn't have to. I'm getting replacement XLR pots from emo (after 4 emails grrr) and will take it apart and do it myself.

Anyone else come across this? I know of 2 others that have but I'm wondering if it's more wide spread.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #176 of 2081 Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 293
No problem with my XLRs and Neutrik connectors but I am using RCA now.

Emotiva's higher gain makes them a bit more sensitive to the AVR's noise floor. Optimum (lowest) noise floor usually means putting the most gain early in the signal chain and not at the end. That said, I can hear some hiss with my ear right at the speaker but none by a foot or two away. It also depends upon your speakers, natch.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #177 of 2081 Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I just used my xlr mic cables to check mine. They are nice and tight. Curious to what kind of cables you have been using?
post #178 of 2081 Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i posted this in the insanely enormous emotive tech thread and only got one thought, so maybe better love here...

ok ive searched for a couple of days on this and read that the XPA-2 capacitance is in a parallel/series configuration. does this hold true for the XPA-3 and the XPA-5 as well, resulting in the lower total capacitance but higher voltage rating to the rails? if so, does that really negate the need for higher capacitance since the caps discharge and recharge faster?
post #179 of 2081 Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I don't know the topology. Capacitance does not determine the rail voltage; the rail voltage determines the voltage rating of the capacitors. Series or parallel or any combination, charge/discharge rate is set by the power line frequency (for conventional power supplies) and the load (audio output). One or the other does not cahrte/discharge "faster" relative to audio rates. Other than more capacitance is usually better, the relationship between capacitance and sound quality is often tenuous unless you have very little capacitance. Large amounts of capacitance provide a "stiffer" voltage rail, meaning less sag during large, long peaks but also less dynamic headroom. I would not choose an amplifier based upon its capacitance (unless it was very, very low).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #180 of 2081 Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

I just used my xlr mic cables to check mine. They are nice and tight. Curious to what kind of cables you have been using?

I have a BJC, Monoprice, GLS audio, phantom cable and a DIY I made. All are a sloppy fit in 2 of the 5 pots. The rest of the pots are perfect. 1 of the 2 I taped the outside and crammed it in there and it works but the other won't work no matter what. You have to jiggle it around in there to make a proper connection but it comes loose all the time.

I Won't have this amp much longer as I'm going all Class D, but I also don't want to sell it with a faulty XLR pot as I'd be pissed if someone sold it to me like that, so I'd rather have it fixed before I sell it. I'm in Canada and shipping back to emo would be a waste of money.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page