Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2026 Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The hum is coming from the XPA itself, it gets louder and softer, louder and softer... Again, it is not very noticeable but it is certainly present and not something i was expecting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

The XPA-5 only uses 2 prongs of its power cable, so it shouldn't make any difference.  But on the hum, are you hearing it come from the XPA itself or did you mean the speakers.  If it's the amp itself, then you have a transformer that is making noise.  I have read that dirty power can cause issues.  Also if you have noisy items elsewhere on the circuit that the amp is plugged into it could cause a problem, like a dimmer switch.  There is also the chance that the transformer is humming on its own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2026 Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Take the lid off and tighten
it down. May have loosened up during shipping

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #1893 of 2026 Old 02-02-2014, 05:47 PM

I can certainly try that, tks for the tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

Take the lid off and tighten
it down. May have loosened up during shipping
post #1894 of 2026 Old 02-02-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Happens alot. Sometimes it helps to isolate the transformer with a slim piece of rubber and clamp it back down.

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #1895 of 2026 Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59

Happens a lot?  Sounds like a QC issue.  If it varies in loudness, that could be a noisy circuit too, but if your handy it wouldn't hurt to pop the lid off, just be careful you don't shock yourself.

post #1896 of 2026 Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

Happens a lot?  Sounds like a QC issue.  If it varies in loudness, that could be a noisy circuit too, but if your handy it wouldn't hurt to pop the lid off, just be careful you don't shock yourself.

You'd leave it plugged in if you were going to open it up ? eek.gif

post #1897 of 2026 Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You'd leave it plugged in if you were going to open it up ? eek.gif
You obviously know nothing about capacitors with that stupid comment
post #1898 of 2026 Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Ok, how long do the capacitors in the XPA5 take to discharge?

post #1899 of 2026 Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
people who work on amps and don't want to die of electrocution discharge the caps manually even if the amp has not been turned on for years. Just to be on the safe side.
post #1900 of 2026 Old 02-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzz View Post

The hum is coming from the XPA itself, it gets louder and softer, louder and softer... Again, it is not very noticeable but it is certainly present and not something i was expecting.
It sounds like it's oscillating. I had a similar issue with the xpa-5 I sent back but it also hummed/buzzed in the speakers. A low volume hum like your describing might be a dimmer somewhere in the house. My unit was pretty loud I could hear it 10 feet away. The higher the power toroidal transformer my exhibit this type of hum when there is a dc offset in the power line. you could try cmx2 to alleviate it, I don't know if it would work.
post #1901 of 2026 Old 03-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
thinking of picking a gen2 up but my shelf is only 15" deep will 2" overhang on each end be a problem? should i look into a amp stand if there's space or will it be fine on the floor(wont know until after i move in a few months if carpeted or wood).

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #1902 of 2026 Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

thinking of picking a gen2 up but my shelf is only 15" deep will 2" overhang on each end be a problem? should i look into a amp stand if there's space or will it be fine on the floor(wont know until after i move in a few months if carpeted or wood).

im pretty sure you will be ok.. I don't have a xpa 5 but I have the the xpa 1s  and the feet start 2.5 inches inside the front and back outer edge..  

you will be impressed with amp power if you have never had one...

post #1903 of 2026 Old 03-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post

im pretty sure you will be ok.. I don't have a xpa 5 but I have the the xpa 1s  and the feet start 2.5 inches inside the front and back outer edge..  

you will be impressed with amp power if you have never had one...

thanks for the info; all dependent if the new landlord will let me wall mount the tv.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #1904 of 2026 Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 224
If the feet hang over you can use a couple of 1" x 2" wooden furring strips to help support it. Just cut to the depth of the amp to help distribute the weight over the shelf.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1905 of 2026 Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

thanks for the info; all dependent if the new landlord will let me wall mount the tv.

tv work just as well on a stand bro!!!   go for the amp bro!!!!!!  u will love the power

post #1906 of 2026 Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

tv work just as well on a stand bro!!!   go for the amp bro!!!!!!  u will love the power

the way my tv stand is i cant. its a cheap glass one that will only support ~65lbs per shelf but the top one that is meant for a tv can support up to a 250lb TV. or i could do it like this guy on another forum http://images2.static-bluray.com/htgallery/62882_full.jpg may end up as moot in my system has to be crammed into a small bedroom but 200w in a bedroom setup would be pretty sweet.

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #1907 of 2026 Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you are worried that the glass shelf is too thin to support the weight, you can go to any glass shop and order thicker glass plate. I did this for my over tv shelf for my very heavy center speaker.
post #1908 of 2026 Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 AM

Or make a shelf with MDF to suit the unit and cover it with carpet tile ( Stuck on the MDF with spray adhesive ) which is what I did
post #1909 of 2026 Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Using 1" MDF or plywood is not a bad idea, I suggested strips to provide more airflow beneath. I would not put carpet on it, however, as the carpet will reduce airflow and can collect dust as well as release dust and threads that could get pulled into the amp.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1910 of 2026 Old 03-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Using 1" MDF or plywood is not a bad idea, I suggested strips to provide more airflow beneath. I would not put carpet on it, however, as the carpet will reduce airflow and can collect dust as well as release dust and threads that could get pulled into the amp.

First I am not proposing having it on a floor and walk on the carpet, clearly states to suit the unit
I cant see it reducing air flow as the feet maintain the correct clearance, we are not talking about a deep shag pile carpet tile here
The amp doesn't have fans that draws air underneath to exhaust at the top it cools by convection so don't see where threads come into the equation.
A glass shelf is a dust magnet and all your counter argument equally applies, how many times do people dismantle this beast of an amp to dust under it, or any other kit for that matter.
post #1911 of 2026 Old 03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Carpet attracts and holds dust ( and little dust bunnies). Convection can allow them to rise into the amp fan or no. The amp will settle a little into the carpet, reducing clearance underneath slightly (ok, that one is a stretch). Carpet induces more potential for static electricity (ESD); I prefer metal shelves myself but my components are currently wooden console so I violate my own rules (trade with looks, WAF). Carpet provides a more turbid airflow than over a smooth surface, admittedly again a stretch. I have not measured such a scenario but in my (long ago) pro audio days cooling was a major concern and we preferred open racks or slotted shelves, can't imagine using carpet.

I come from an engineering lab environment so am more sensitive to static and dust, occupational hazard. Your counter arguments are reasonable, I just have a carpet phobia. Where I live is also very dry so dust and static is a bigger problem than more humid climates. I do dust around my amps now and then but am probably in the minority. I know what dust can do to electrical and thermal integrity.

Experiences/backgrounds vary and I am probably more anal (can I say that here) than most. - Don

post #1912 of 2026 Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Carpet attracts and holds dust ( and little dust bunnies). Convection can allow them to rise into the amp fan or no. The amp will settle a little into the carpet, reducing clearance underneath slightly (ok, that one is a stretch). Carpet induces more potential for static electricity (ESD); I prefer metal shelves myself but my components are currently wooden console so I violate my own rules (trade with looks, WAF). Carpet provides a more turbid airflow than over a smooth surface, admittedly again a stretch. I have not measured such a scenario but in my (long ago) pro audio days cooling was a major concern and we preferred open racks or slotted shelves, can't imagine using carpet.

I come from an engineering lab environment so am more sensitive to static and dust, occupational hazard. Your counter arguments are reasonable, I just have a carpet phobia. Where I live is also very dry so dust and static is a bigger problem than more humid climates. I do dust around my amps now and then but am probably in the minority. I know what dust can do to electrical and thermal integrity.

Experiences/backgrounds vary and I am probably more anal (can I say that here) than most. - Don

few weeks ago I tried a Swiffer duster  wow really picked up the dust great off and under the av equipment  highly recommend for dusting    :)

post #1913 of 2026 Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

few weeks ago I tried a Swiffer duster  wow really picked up the dust great off and under the av equipment  highly recommend for dusting    smile.gif

The Swiffer is really good for getting under things, but dust is unavoidable whether Glass metal or carpet.
Depending on the nap and fibre of the carpet tile used (i.e Nylon not recommended) static might or might not be a problem
I used the same process to make a Gramma /Subdude type of platform for my subs years ago and they don't appear dusty at all
Dust build up internally with all equipment will happen whatever you do.
Anyway horses for courses, enough said
post #1914 of 2026 Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 AM

Hey there everyone. I've had an xpa-5 for a few years now, maybe more, and I only have 3 speakers hooked up to it. Tried hooking up my surrounds to it but it kept shutting the amp down. My mains are 200w my center is 250 and my rears are 120w. I considered getting a upa 5 or 7 for rears, sides and then use what's left for the whole house audio I'm putting in. Anyhow is it possible to hook up several different wattage speakers to the same amp? My plan was to do the main 5 speakers and then bi-amp the side channels on my receiver. Didn't work when I tried it four years ago and I'm only now getting around to asking about it. haha biggrin.gif
Cheers
Mike
post #1915 of 2026 Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaker wattage and amplifier wattage are different things and are only loosely related. They do not need to be rated the same. If the amp is shutting down there is a short in the speaker wiring someplace, the speakers are bad, or the amp is bad. Try connecting a different (known-good) speaker to the amp channels to see if they work.

I personally consider bi-amping as implemented by most AVRs a waste of time, effort, and money but there are endless threads and debates on that subject..

post #1916 of 2026 Old 03-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Speaker wattage and amplifier wattage are different things and are only loosely related. They do not need to be rated the same. If the amp is shutting down there is a short in the speaker wiring someplace, the speakers are bad, or the amp is bad. Try connecting a different (known-good) speaker to the amp channels to see if they work.

I personally consider bi-amping as implemented by most AVRs a waste of time, effort, and money but there are endless threads and debates on that subject..

yeah would agree bi amping an avr waste of time..  

yup I would think some short in speaker wire or surround speakers.. but just change the main to the other channels to test if its the amp.  I doubt it..

cheers

post #1917 of 2026 Old 03-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Liked: 55
Can anyone comment on if $500 for a used XPA-5 first generation is a good deal. They said all five channels work and no scratches. Thank you

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #1918 of 2026 Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

Can anyone comment on if $500 for a used XPA-5 first generation is a good deal. They said all five channels work and no scratches. Thank you

Find out approximately how many total hours the amp is been driven. It would also help to know where the unit was kept while in use. Obviously one with extensive use and kept in a confined media cabinet might be one to avoid despite looking good on the outside.

Sony KDL46XBR2, Samsung SMT-H3270 HDDVR, Oppo BDP-95 (w/a Haier 7" HLT71), Sony BDP-S350, Emo UMC-1 & XPA-5, Custom built LF, RF, C + 2 subs, 2 Polk T90e (surrounds), Blu-ray, BD-A, DVD & DVD-A Collection, SACD Collection | Future: Panasonic VIERA TX65AX900 or Toshiba's 65L9400U 4K Ultra HD TV
post #1919 of 2026 Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM

Liked: 55
Unless there's a counter I'm not sure i would get the correct hours. He is also so second owner. He has only used three of the five channels but the previous owner was using all five.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #1920 of 2026 Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

I would also find out the original purchase date and how many years are left on the warranty.
Also, its not uncommon , for re-sellers to send units to Emotiva to be check out and tested prior to sale.
Find out , if this has been done.
Also seller reputation would be important ....E-Bay, Audigon, Emotiva Emporium etc......
Just my 2 cents.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page