post #1951 of 2033 Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

Just purchased the XPA-5 amp and looking for a good RCA cable for this amp?

Thank,

Click on the link at the bottom of your window for Blue Jeans Cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2033 Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Click on the link at the bottom of your window for Blue Jeans Cables.

Thanks.
post #1953 of 2033 Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Why not Emotiva's own? No nonsense, good quality, great price, free shipping. I got mine in 2 days.
post #1954 of 2033 Old 05-04-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

Why not Emotiva's own? No nonsense, good quality, great price, free shipping. I got mine in 2 days.
Agreed. I got some of their speaker wire a while back. Good and cheap. If i needed some ICs I'd consider them for sure.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #1955 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys,
I'm considering buying a used Emotiva XPA-5 gen 1. I'm currently running a Denon 3312 in a 7.1 system. Fairly large room. My speakers are Klipsch Reference 35's. I would continue to use the avr as a pre/pro, and use two of it's channels to drive (probably the back surrounds). What do you guys think? I'm looking for any information to sway me either way. The asking on the XPA-5 is ~$600.

Comments?
Questions?

thanks in advance!
post #1956 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 238
The speakers' 98 dB/W/m sensitivity means you are highly unlikely to need an amp. It only offers a slight increase in headroom compared to your AVR. If you haven't done so already room treatment would probably yield more bang for the buck.
duc135 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1957 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Yeah, that was in the back of my mind. I have room treatments. They helped with the dialog quite a bit. A few years ago I went from a Denon 2807 to the 3312 in order to gain additional hdmi switching and newer codecs to simplify my HTPC setup. I always thought that receiver had more power and sounded better, even thought it is rated at 110 per channel and the new one is 125.
post #1958 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.pope View Post

Yeah, that was in the back of my mind. I have room treatments. They helped with the dialog quite a bit. A few years ago I went from a Denon 2807 to the 3312 in order to gain additional hdmi switching and newer codecs to simplify my HTPC setup. I always thought that receiver had more power and sounded better, even thought it is rated at 110 per channel and the new one is 125.

the denon 3312 in surround mode   you will be lucky to have 79 watt per channel   adding the xpa 5 will make a big difference in your sound quality..

you will have a real nice smile on your face..  

18labonte likes this.
post #1959 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post

the denon 3312 in surround mode   you will be lucky to have 79 watt per channel   adding the xpa 5 will make a big difference in your sound quality..

And to what do you base that on? He has efficient speakers and the added watts will do what for him? Make him smile or grimace that he wasted his money? Seriously, if he wants to just spend some money and get an amp that's one thing, but in reality it is going to do nothing for him in the sound quality department. All amps sound the same right smile.gif
post #1960 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

And to what do you base that on? He has efficient speakers and the added watts will do what for him? Make him smile or grimace that he wasted his money? Seriously, if he wants to just spend some money and get an amp that's one thing, but in reality it is going to do nothing for him in the sound quality department. All amps sound the same right smile.gif

if you want a good sound you need good clean power.. the denon 3312 just don't have it ...   seriously  your will never miss what you don't have.. great sound..

you can read all your text book theories  all day long .. the xpa 5 with the 3312 will sound way better night and day difference.. so buy it and be happy with the better sound...

cheers

post #1961 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
deltadube loves da power!!!!!!11!1!!!!!!!!!!!!1 eek.gif
lovinthehd and cableguy301 like this.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #1962 of 2033 Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

if you want a good sound you need good clean power.. the denon 3312 just don't have it ...   seriously  your will never miss what you don't have.. great sound..

you can read all your text book theories  all day long .. the xpa 5 with the 3312 will sound way better night and day difference.. so buy it and be happy with the better sound...

cheers

Riiiiiight. rolleyes.gif

I have an XPR-5 and can be honest with myself enough to say there is no difference between it and my AVR with MUCH harder to drive speakers. 98dB sensitive speakers need all of 5W to reach over reference level SPLs at 1M and 20W at 4M. I'm pretty sure ANY AVR can put out that much good clean power all channels driven all day long.
mr.pope likes this.
post #1963 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Hi Guys,
I'm considering buying a used Emotiva XPA-5 gen 1. I'm currently running a Denon 3312 in a 7.1 system. Fairly large room. My speakers are Klipsch Reference 35's. I would continue to use the avr as a pre/pro, and use two of it's channels to drive (probably the back surrounds). What do you guys think? I'm looking for any information to sway me either way. The asking on the XPA-5 is ~$600.

Comments?
Questions?

thanks in advance!

Mr Pope, here's what I think (FWIW):

It depends on your preferred maximum volume level, listening distance and the characteristics of your room.

Making a few conservative assumptions... if you listen at SMPTE/THX/Dolby "reference level" (0dBMV on an Audyssey calibrated AVR) each of the RF-35's will be required to produce theoretical peaks of 105dBSPL at the main listening position. Assuming a 4m (~13') distance to the MLP in an average domestic room, where SPL drops at between 3 to 4dB each time you double the distance from the speaker, the RF-35's will be required to produce peaks of around 113dBSPL at 1m from the speaker baffle.

Now, discounting the RF-35's sensitivity by 3dB to 95dB/1W/1m (to account for the specmanship that Klipsch tend to engage in) means the RF-35's will need 18dB (113 - 95) gain from the amps to produce those peaks. This equates to {fiddles with abacus}... 63W [dB = 10 * Log (Pout / Pin)] from the amp. Note that this is for producing theoretical (0dBFS) program peaks and is well within the continuous power rating of the Denon 3312. In addition, this is a full bandwidth (20Hz - 20kHz) power rating and if the system is run crossed over to subs, power demands on the AVR's amplifiers are significantly reduced.

If your preferred maximum volume level is say -5dBMV, the power requirement in the above scenario reduces to 20W. If you like to sneak the volume up to say +5dBMV, power requirements will increase tenfold to 200W. It is at these "reference plus" levels where the Emotiva could be a worthwhile addition to your system.

If your situation is markedly different from the assumptions I've made, let us know and we can work through your actual situation if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

The speakers' 98 dB/W/m sensitivity means you are highly unlikely to need an amp. It only offers a slight increase in headroom compared to your AVR. If you haven't done so already room treatment would probably yield more bang for the buck.
All good Don. Or alternately, consider an upgrade in the subwoofer department. A good quality plug 'n' play measurement system like the OmniMic V2 is also worthwhile investment.

Quote:

Which is irrelevant because there is zero commercially available content that contains continuous wide bandwidth 0dBFS (even -3dBFS) signals on all five or seven speaker channels simultaneously.
Quote:
...due to the thrill of of new ownership.

Quote:

cheers
Ahh, the wonders of the feelgood factor and expectation bias... trumps those pesky numbers every time. rolleyes.gif

Happy, happy, happy! biggrin.gif
mr.pope, duc135, beaveav and 1 others like this.
post #1964 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

It depends on your preferred maximum volume level, listening distance and the characteristics of your room.

Making a few conservative assumptions... if you listen at SMPTE/THX/Dolby "reference level" (0dBMV on an Audyssey calibrated AVR) each of the RF-35's will be required to produce theoretical peaks of 105dBSPL at the main listening position. Assuming a 4m (~13') distance to the MLP in an average domestic room, where SPL drops at between 3 to 4dB each time you double the distance from the speaker, the RF-35's will be required to produce peaks of around 113dBSPL at 1m from the speaker baffle.

Now, discounting the RF-35's sensitivity by 3dB to 95dB/1W/1m (to account for the specmanship that Klipsch tend to engage in) means the RF-35's will need 18dB (113 - 95) gain from the amps to produce those peaks. This equates to {fiddles with abacus}... 63W [dB = 10 * Log (Pout / Pin)] from the amp. Note that this is for producing theoretical (0dBFS) program peaks and is well within the continuous power rating of the Denon 3312. In addition, this is a full bandwidth (20Hz - 20kHz) power rating and if the system is run crossed over to subs, power demands on the AVR's amplifiers are significantly reduced.

If your preferred maximum volume level is say -5dBMV, the power requirement in the above scenario reduces to 20W. If you like to sneak the volume up to say +5dBMV, power requirements will increase tenfold to 200W. It is at these "reference plus" levels where the Emotiva could be a worthwhile addition to your system.

If your situation is markedly different from the assumptions I've made, let us know and we can work through your actual situation if you wish.

GIEGAR
Thanks for breaking it down for me. Your assumptions are close enough to make the point. I think you are right, money will be better spent elsewhere. While watching the Hobbit last night, I decided that my system sounds great (to me) and I don't really need to upgrade my amp. What got me started thinking about this was the HT Guy's podcast. They were always in the opinion of a receiver is good enough, but they recently demoed a pre/pro amp setup. Since, both have switched over to new amps. One using his avr as a pre and the other going to separates.

I decided to hold off on the amp. If the guy gets antsy and lowers the price, then I will have to re-evaluate my situation. I think I am just getting restless with my system, as I haven't changed or done anything to it in quite some time. I was considering building a sub or replacing my RC-35 with a RC-64. Maybe I'll start looking into that again.

Thanks again everyone, for both sides. I appreciated hearing both viewpoints.
post #1965 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice job GEIGAR.

For those who do not have a scientific calculator handy, or simply want an easier way (much better than "lazier" though it is often true for me!), here is a decent online SPL calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #1966 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

All good Don. Or alternately, consider an upgrade in the subwoofer department. A good quality plug 'n' play measurement system like the OmniMic V2 is also worthwhile investment.
Which is irrelevant because there is zero commercially available content that contains continuous wide bandwidth 0dBFS (even -3dBFS) signals on all five or seven speaker channels simultaneously.
...due to the thrill of of new ownership.
Ahh, the wonders of the feelgood factor and expectation bias... trumps those pesky numbers every time. rolleyes.gif

Happy, happy, happy! biggrin.gif

nothing like having head room for good sound quality  which the denon 3312 has none..   you must really like flat sounding no dynamic music... the sound quality via an xpa 5 will blow that

denon out of the water.. night and day difference ..   not to mention the distortion of the waves coming out of the denon   your poor ears..

well like I said.. you cant miss what you never had  good sound...

post #1967 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Riiiiiight. rolleyes.gif

I have an XPR-5 and can be honest with myself enough to say there is no difference between it and my AVR with MUCH harder to drive speakers. 98dB sensitive speakers need all of 5W to reach over reference level SPLs at 1M and 20W at 4M. I'm pretty sure ANY AVR can put out that much good clean power all channels driven all day long.

if it makes no difference why did you keep it...

post #1968 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nothing like having head room for good sound quality  which the denon 3312 has none..   you must really like flat sounding no dynamic music... the sound quality via an xpa 5 will blow that
denon out of the water.. night and day difference ..   not to mention the distortion of the waves coming out of the denon   your poor ears..

well like I said.. you cant miss what you never had  good sound...

I have a Denon receiver and an XPR-5 which gives me far more headroom over the Denon than XPA-5 you keep pushing. Again, no "night and day difference". Even considering my speakers are not the easiest to drive. The Denon has more than enough to drive my 84dBs sensitive speakers to reference run full range at ~9'. People can buy external amps for many reason, but in this case it's not going to be for the needed power or the "night and day difference" you're talking about.

Quote:

Quote:

Riiiiiight. rolleyes.gif

if it makes no difference why did you keep it...

Like I said above, there are reasons to get an external amp which have nothing to do with SQ improvement. Here are mine:

1. I have more speakers than amp channels in my receiver. So I need an external amp no matter how well my receiver can power my speakers.
2. I use an external DSP to split my L/R channels to the speakers + an MBM each which means my L/R channel now needs four channels of external amplification.
3. My total cost of the XPR-5 = $0
post #1969 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Liked: 21
^^^^ duc, can definitely see your reasons for an external amp, especially # 3...........can you send me a PM on how to obtain that XPR-5 offer?????? cool.gif
post #1970 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgman1 View Post

^^^^ duc, can definitely see your reasons for an external amp, especially # 3...........can you send me a PM on how to obtain that XPR-5 offer?????? cool.gif

LOL! You'll need to call my dad and convince him to buy one for you. Long story short, he took my amp I had setup up for him temporarily for a long term demo system in his house. He didn't want to go through the hassle of pulling everything out again so he just told me to buy a new amp and he'd pay for it.
post #1971 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I have a Denon receiver and an XPR-5 which gives me far more headroom over the Denon than XPA-5 you keep pushing. Again, no "night and day difference". Even considering my speakers are not the easiest to drive. The Denon has more than enough to drive my 84dBs sensitive speakers to reference run full range at ~9'. People can buy external amps for many reason, but in this case it's not going to be for the needed power or the "night and day difference" you're talking about.
Like I said above, there are reasons to get an external amp which have nothing to do with SQ improvement. Here are mine:

1. I have more speakers than amp channels in my receiver. So I need an external amp no matter how well my receiver can power my speakers.
2. I use an external DSP to split my L/R channels to the speakers + an MBM each which means my L/R channel now needs four channels of external amplification.

night and day difference at my house... my speakers love the power...  the manufacture even recommends over amping your speakers to obtain the best sound quality...

maybe you can get your dad to upgrade you speakers too so you can hear the difference..

post #1972 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

night and day difference at my house... my speakers love the power...  the manufacture even recommends over amping your speakers to obtain the best sound quality...

maybe you can get your dad to upgrade you speakers too so you can hear the difference..

Your speakers have a moderately high sensitivity and moderately easy impedance as well. Easy to power. It's not your speakers that love the power, it's your brain that loves the idea of da power!
duc135 and 67jason like this.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #1973 of 2033 Old 05-08-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yea, I'm pretty sure my speakers are good enough to not be the bottleneck in SQ reproduction, but thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe I need to get some new speakers cables made out of pure silver or something so I can hear this night and day difference in the XPA-5. rolleyes.gif
post #1974 of 2033 Old 05-11-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:

GIEGAR
Thanks for breaking it down for me. Your assumptions are close enough to make the point. I think you are right, money will be better spent elsewhere. While watching the Hobbit last night, I decided that my system sounds great (to me) and I don't really need to upgrade my amp. What got me started thinking about this was the HT Guy's podcast. They were always in the opinion of a receiver is good enough, but they recently demoed a pre/pro amp setup. Since, both have switched over to new amps. One using his avr as a pre and the other going to separates.
No problem, glad it helped.

Quote:
I decided to hold off on the amp. If the guy gets antsy and lowers the price, then I will have to re-evaluate my situation. I think I am just getting restless with my system, as I haven't changed or done anything to it in quite some time. I was considering building a sub or replacing my RC-35 with a RC-64. Maybe I'll start looking into that again.

Thanks again everyone, for both sides. I appreciated hearing both viewpoints.
I'm unaware of your specific situation, but a great (albeit little known) option for the sub builder is the Rythmik Audio Custom Installation Series. Rythmik is unique in that you can select matched driver and amp kits that will enable you to build your own version of any of their well regarded direct-servo subs. A Rythmik F15HP clone (or two!) would keep you busy and your restlessness at bay for a while. wink.gif
post #1975 of 2033 Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Nice job GEIGAR.

For those who do not have a scientific calculator handy, or simply want an easier way (much better than "lazier" though it is often true for me!), here is a decent online SPL calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Thanks Don and thanks for the link.

It's probably worth noting that calculator utilises the Inverse Square Law (-6dB per double distance) and adds either 3dB or 6dB for "near wall" or "in a corner" speaker placement respectively. This is correct to a point; the ISL does apply indoors, however it applies to all sources of the sound and they all attenuate at -6dB per double distance. The act of putting a speaker in a room means you have multiple sources straight away (floor, ceiling, walls). I would have thought 2 - 3dB of reinforcement initially and a further 3dB when the sound "sources" double again, not when the speaker is moved from "near wall' to "in a corner".

I simply used an average of -3.5dB per double distance, which gives an answer between the two. Harman research indicates that the loss is around -3dB per double distance (-3dB/dd) in typical domestic rooms. Heavily treated, dedicated theatre rooms would tend towards -4dB to -5dB/dd, but that's a guesstimate.

I must admit, I didn't plug the formula into a calculator either. I use this tool from the Crown System Design Tools. Any two variables can be inserted and it calculates the third.

post #1976 of 2033 Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

True, it uses the theoretical four-pi anechoic response, but that tends to overestimate the power required. My room is very dead so it is probably reasonable from that perspective, but OTOH my Maggies radiate more like line sources over most of their frequency range, so I usually add about 3 dB to their sensitivity. I also always use away from walls since they don't radiate much from the sides, just the rear (normal dipole pattern). Of the ones I have found I like that one because it has the most parameters and easiest to follow format for a novice. You are of course correct that without knowing the characteristics of your room and speakers they are all guesstimates. I have the "real" formulas in my grad acoustics text, but looking at them after all this time tends to Psi-ch me out. smile.gif

post #1977 of 2033 Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM

who has the power in there system?  emotiva power...  im pushing 3000 watts rms for movies..   sweet

only 2000 watts for stereo... with out a sub

power is the ticket imho to great sound quality...

hearing is believing  

you got to have head room eh..

cheers

post #1978 of 2033 Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

who has the power in there system?  emotiva power...  im pushing 3000 watts rms for movies..   sweet

only 2000 watts for stereo... with out a sub

power is the ticket imho to great sound quality...

hearing is believing  

you got to have head room eh..

cheers

Unused power is just that. Unused smile.gif

I am confident most people don't need external amps. They are not outrageously priced though, so I can see the allure. I could get four Crown XLS 1500 for $1600 which would give me 8 channels of 300 watts into 8 ohms. Not too bad. But it's a space using setup, needs many cables and power cables and has other disadvantages.

A higher end receiver works for most people to the very best of my knowledge. Cheaper AVRs may be too limited, but I have never done the testing. It depends on many factors.

Emo provides a pretty fair priced amp, so I can understand the desire to try it out ( I did this myself, but feel my Yamaha Z7 was adequate on it's own.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #1979 of 2033 Old 05-17-2014, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Another thing to consider when adding an external amp to an AVR is that you'll be taking quite a bit of load off the AVR's amp section. While the amps would still be active, they would be in low-power mode which would keep things cooler inside the AVR. Even at that, I'd probably only add the amp if the SPL levels needed are close to or exceed what the AVR will provide by itself. If there are still 3 to 6 dB of head room after calculating what is needed, then don't expect any difference or a huge difference when adding an external amp.

In my case, I have a medium-sized room and was running a Denon AVR rated at 142 watts/channel in a 7-channel setup. I wanted to go with an 11-channel setup, so an external amp was a requirement. Added an Emotiva XPR-5 for the heck of it. Only a single space left for a single component, so I went with the biggest amp I could get in that hole. I did try an XPA-5 and it wasn't enough for me for 2-channel music vs. just the AVR. On Denon's dB scale of -80 to +18, there is absolutely NO difference between AVR and AVR+Amp at gains less than -25 dB. Where I DO notice a difference is at levels above -25 dB but the levels are pretty-much intolerable at 0 dB and above. It sounds nice and clean but it is just way too loud to endure through an entire movie. -20 dB is where I usually have the gain at for movies with Neo:X, but I doubt I'm using more than 40% of the Emotiva XPR5's power as evidenced by not seeing very tall blue-light columns on the amp -- 5 or 6 leds peak including the bottom one, which is always lit.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #1980 of 2033 Old 05-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Unused power is just that. Unused smile.gif

I am confident most people don't need external amps. They are not outrageously priced though, so I can see the allure. I could get four Crown XLS 1500 for $1600 which would give me 8 channels of 300 watts into 8 ohms. Not too bad. But it's a space using setup, needs many cables and power cables and has other disadvantages.

A higher end receiver works for most people to the very best of my knowledge. Cheaper AVRs may be too limited, but I have never done the testing. It depends on many factors.

Emo provides a pretty fair priced amp, so I can understand the desire to try it out ( I did this myself, but feel my Yamaha Z7 was adequate on it's own.)

I have lots of cables so no problem there.. lol 

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page