post #2071 of 2078 Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post
I have the Gen 2 and am pleased with it, no hum that I can tell

btw, it replaced a parasound that hummed.
Well, that is what I would call useful info. With lots of happy campers using the XPA-5, I think it's a done deal. $888 right now puts it very close to a no-brainer.

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears & front wides, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2078 Old 10-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently purchased the Emotiva XPA-5 and I now looking for some new surround speakers. I will use them for both movies and music. I like to crank up the music and sometimes will use 5 channels, not just stereo. If I understand correctly, the amplifier puts out 200w continuous, not peak. I was looking at Klipsch RS-41 II for surrounds and they are rated at 50w RMS and 200w Peak. Since the amp rates at 200w RMS, does this mean that there is a good chance I can damage the Klipsch's since 200w is their peak?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2073 of 2078 Old 10-30-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 291
There is a speaker forum...

You will damage any speaker if you overpower it. The good news is that (a) it is very unlikely you will overpower it in normal use, and (b) if you do the speaker will sound harsh and woofers may thump before the speaker destroys itself so you'll have warning.

While 50 W seems a little low to me I wouldn't worry too much about blowing them up with the XPA-5, at least no more than if they were attached straight to a midline AVR.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2074 of 2078 Old 10-30-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman View Post
I am also curious about the Gen 2 performance with regards to transistor hum and it's ability to work well with Audyssey. Lots of reviews that note transistor hum...wondering if Gen2s are good to go.

I am looking at the XPA-5 or something used via A-gon. I'd prefer a new XPA-5 than a 5 year old used Parasound assuming the performance is comparable.

I have one in my home boxed up waiting on the xmc-1 w/Dirac of course, I was just curious manly of what you fine folks saying about it.

I just sold a XPA-5 G1to a gent from Canada.
I usualy back down from shipping over the boarder but he sounds like a good audio fan who just wanted a good deal without the cost of a new straight from emo I guess.

DJoel
post #2075 of 2078 Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
New owner of xpa-5. I hooked it up yesterday with my Denon 4520ci receiver as pre-amp. I read somewhere that emotiva can wake up from standby as soon as it gets signal/sound from pre-amp and goes in standby automatically when signal is stopped. My xpa is not doing this and I have to manually turn ON the amp for it to make work. Is there is any setting that I need to enable for this make it work? Didn't quite found this in the manual and therefore seeking help from experts here....how are you guys doing it? Thanks.
post #2076 of 2078 Old 11-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post
New owner of xpa-5. I hooked it up yesterday with my Denon 4520ci receiver as pre-amp. I read somewhere that emotiva can wake up from standby as soon as it gets signal/sound from pre-amp and goes in standby automatically when signal is stopped. My xpa is not doing this and I have to manually turn ON the amp for it to make work. Is there is any setting that I need to enable for this make it work? Didn't quite found this in the manual and therefore seeking help from experts here....how are you guys doing it? Thanks.
I think there is a 3.5mm connector that is used for the remote turn on. My old Denon has one in the back that I use.
post #2077 of 2078 Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 291
That is a remote trigger input (the XPA-5 also has a trigger output, make sure you hook it up correctly) that can be driven by the trigger output signal from your AVR. Emotiva ships with a cable to connect to the AVR, or did, or you can pick up a mono cable from Radio Shack or any of the online parts places.

Look on pages 8 and 13 of the XPA-5 manual (downloaded from their web site) and whatever pages talk about the trigger for your Denon.

There is not a signal-sensing circuit like found on some subwoofers ("auto-on" feature).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2078 of 2078 Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddale View Post
I think there is a 3.5mm connector that is used for the remote turn on. My old Denon has one in the back that I use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
That is a remote trigger input (the XPA-5 also has a trigger output, make sure you hook it up correctly) that can be driven by the trigger output signal from your AVR. Emotiva ships with a cable to connect to the AVR, or did, or you can pick up a mono cable from Radio Shack or any of the online parts places.

Look on pages 8 and 13 of the XPA-5 manual (downloaded from their web site) and whatever pages talk about the trigger for your Denon.

There is not a signal-sensing circuit like found on some subwoofers ("auto-on" feature).
OK, cool...thank you guys. I was wondering about 3.5mm connector in the box and what it is used for. I think I got the answer and know what to do now. Will try it out today evening. Appreciate your help
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page