Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 74 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
post #2191 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have heard Running an amp not just Emotiva with highly efficient speakers like Klipsh can cause a hiss or buzz. I run a XPA-3 gen 1 and do not have the hiss or buzz with my Klipsch's, but have read reports of the problem. Also odd that it would only be a select couple channels, so I would assume it's the amp. Can I ask you did you notice any improvement in sound quality with the Emotiva? I did not, even though I still run it. My HK seemed to do the job itself, just wondering if your Marantz did also. I do notice a hiss when my receiver goes into LOGIC 7 surround mode, but that is HK's brand of taking non Dolby Digital signal and try making it surround, I assume this is where the problem lies for me

Harman Kardon 3700
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RC-52 II
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I tested the inputs by cranking the volume with no source so I could just here that static noise. Then while I was playing around with the rca I found it was the two inputs farthest from each other. When it was just one or two rca they all worked fine but when all 5 are connected I get the Buzz through my speakers out of those two channels. And I confirmed it was those two by switching the surrounds from those inputs to the front and then my front speakers had the noise. So it's definitely my amp. Just thought it was a grounding issue or something. Still doesn't explain why my amp itself makes noise lol. When I shut it all off and it's in stand by it hisses I can only hear this when I'm close but it just doesn't seem normal to me. And with the marantz powering my speakers I still have great sound quality but less impact. I'm relying completely on my sub right now for bass. Where I listened to something at 35 with amp now takes 50 to 55 for the same sound. Although I haven't got to rerun audysee yet either
post #2193 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanoandrew3 View Post
I tested the inputs by cranking the volume with no source so I could just here that static noise. Then while I was playing around with the rca I found it was the two inputs farthest from each other. When it was just one or two rca they all worked fine but when all 5 are connected I get the Buzz through my speakers out of those two channels. And I confirmed it was those two by switching the surrounds from those inputs to the front and then my front speakers had the noise. So it's definitely my amp. Just thought it was a grounding issue or something. Still doesn't explain why my amp itself makes noise lol. When I shut it all off and it's in stand by it hisses I can only hear this when I'm close but it just doesn't seem normal to me. And with the marantz powering my speakers I still have great sound quality but less impact. I'm relying completely on my sub right now for bass. Where I listened to something at 35 with amp now takes 50 to 55 for the same sound. Although I haven't got to rerun audysee yet either

When I re-ran room correct after first time hooking up my amp, my listening volumes did not change, or at least not in a noticeable amount. If you re-run let me know how it changes please as I am new to my XPA and external amp set up, thanks

Harman Kardon 3700
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RC-52 II
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #2194 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 AM

I guess what I'm saying is there was the same sound quality but much more punch and detail if that makes sense lol. And a lot easier on my marantz which I love by the way. But was looking at the denon x4000 and the New onkyo 838 but will prob just stick with this one. I just wish there was a good reliable receiver that packed real power and sq for under 3000 lol. What's frustrating is I was also just checking out dedicated pre amps to go with my emotiva
post #2195 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Will do, oh and by the way. The amp worked perfectly with my klipsch and didn't have any weird noises up until about a week ago. And the noise was coming from the pioneers and when testing everything found that all my speakers and wires are fine.
post #2196 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Romanoandrew3 - Have you considered Emotiva's XMC-1?
post #2197 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
I have heard Running an amp not just Emotiva with highly efficient speakers like Klipsh can cause a hiss or buzz. I run a XPA-3 gen 1 and do not have the hiss or buzz with my Klipsch's, but have read reports of the problem. Also odd that it would only be a select couple channels, so I would assume it's the amp. Can I ask you did you notice any improvement in sound quality with the Emotiva? I did not, even though I still run it. My HK seemed to do the job itself, just wondering if your Marantz did also. I do notice a hiss when my receiver goes into LOGIC 7 surround mode, but that is HK's brand of taking non Dolby Digital signal and try making it surround, I assume this is where the problem lies for me
I do not hear a hiss once one. In the stratup sequence there is a brief hiss and then it goes silent. I just watched Fury the other night with everything CRANKED, and it sounded great.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #2198 of 2206 Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Wilbur_the_goose, I have stared and drooled over that thing and I would love to have it. There's just know way I could get away with that with the wife. I've tried to think of every possible way and even just asked her and that didn't work out for me lol
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
post #2199 of 2206 Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM

So I rearranged and moved and rewired my whole system and I used the emotivas two channels that I thought we're bad to power the low end in my klipsch r-28f speakers and used the marantz to power the highs and wired the center and surrounds through the emotiva and re ran audysee and everything is working perfect again. I also put a fan behind my marantz and emotiva and the weird sounds went away. I thought it was all weird but hey if it works and doesn't affect my sq then I'm happy
azz7686 likes this.
post #2200 of 2206 Old 02-05-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Having trouble with this one - I'd like to add this amp to a Denon X4000 (haven't purchased the X4000 yet, but bear with me here...) and I'd like to know if I'd run into any issues seeing as the Denon puts out 1.2 Vrms from the pre-outs. I don't know if my math is messed up on this, but with the amp's stated gain of 29 dB, would 1.2 Vrms from the Denon's pre-outs be enough to drive this amp to its rated 200 wpc?

The answer would help me make the decision whether or not to buy the X4000 as a pre/pro (looking at the XMC-1 also, but there is a bit of a difference in price) to drive an external amp, and I really like the XPA-5, at least on paper.
post #2201 of 2206 Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post
Having trouble with this one - I'd like to add this amp to a Denon X4000 (haven't purchased the X4000 yet, but bear with me here...) and I'd like to know if I'd run into any issues seeing as the Denon puts out 1.2 Vrms from the pre-outs. I don't know if my math is messed up on this, but with the amp's stated gain of 29 dB, would 1.2 Vrms from the Denon's pre-outs be enough to drive this amp to its rated 200 wpc?

The answer would help me make the decision whether or not to buy the X4000 as a pre/pro (looking at the XMC-1 also, but there is a bit of a difference in price) to drive an external amp, and I really like the XPA-5, at least on paper.
The sensivity of the XPA-5 (Rev.2) is 1.8V. I believe this is peak voltage to achieve rated output of 200W for each channel.

While the Denon manual states 1.2Vrms, the peak value of this is 2xrms value so its 2.4V peak. This should be sufficient to drive the XPA-5 to full power. If you don't believe me, grab a digital multi meter and measure the RCA output with the Main Volume at 0dB (reference) while playing pink noise test tone at 60Hz and you'll be sure. Just make sure the mains are not connected when you're carrying out this test.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2202 of 2206 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
The sensivity of the XPA-5 (Rev.2) is 1.8V. I believe this is peak voltage to achieve rated output of 200W for each channel.

While the Denon manual states 1.2Vrms, the peak value of this is 2xrms value so its 2.4V peak. This should be sufficient to drive the XPA-5 to full power. If you don't believe me, grab a digital multi meter and measure the RCA output with the Main Volume at 0dB (reference) while playing pink noise test tone at 60Hz and you'll be sure. Just make sure the mains are not connected when you're carrying out this test.
Thanks for the response. I did see where folks were stating RMS at times, and at other times making no such statement leaving the reader to wonder if they might be referring to Pk or RMS, or they just weren't sure. I'd recently read where folks were measuring 4 Vrms out of the pre-outs on their Denon. I can do that measurement with my scope or with a True RMS DMM. This is good news.
post #2203 of 2206 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post

Did you see this on their website? https://emotiva.com/resources/media/..._gen2_8ohm.pdf

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #2204 of 2206 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I did not. Nice. Now THIS is good useful information. Thanks!
post #2205 of 2206 Old Today, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
cabinet

Hey guys, Just ordered the Emotiva XPA-7: any ideas of a media cabinet that will hold this beast? I don't have much room to have a rack. Any suggestion would help...I am looking for something ~60 wide that would hold this, the avr, bluray player, ps4, etc.

MCACC Workflow tips <-- Click here
post #2206 of 2206 Unread Today, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellas27 View Post
Hey guys, Just ordered the Emotiva XPA-7: any ideas of a media cabinet that will hold this beast? I don't have much room to have a rack. Any suggestion would help...I am looking for something ~60 wide that would hold this, the avr, bluray player, ps4, etc.

I got mine off Wayfair center 22.5" wide outer 14.5" wide each, you can buy just the piece under the TV, not sure what it is alone as I bought the towers too, but I would guess $300
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	532241  

Harman Kardon 3700
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RC-52 II
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW