Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 75 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #2221 of 2225 Old Today, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
These technical issues get past me, but I keep reading, and I manage to retain some knowledge. I have two NAD Amps that are now powering my fronts and two center channel speakers, and a Sunfire amp powering my surround. My Pioneer 7 channel AVR is only driving the rear surrounds. I have been looking at the XPR-5 for my surrounds or maybe the front and center. Here is my question: If I were to purchase a Marantz 7009, a nine channel amp, and used it only to power four Atmos speakers, how many watts would I develop if the specs say it produces 125 watts with two channels running? It seems to me there would be more than enough power for Atmos, but as I said at the beginning - what do I know?

My fronts are Cornwalls (98db) and the two centers are Heresies (97db). The surrounds are KG 1.5 (90db). All speakers are 8ohms
What is the distance between the Atmos ceiling speakers to your Main Listening Position (MLP). Use the following web app to determine the amp power requirements based on a number installation factors: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

With 90dB/W/m speaker efficiency - assuming the KG 1.5 will be using for the Atmos ceiling speakers, one would think it would not require that much power to reach reference level of 105dB peak at the MLP.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2225 Unread Today, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
What is the distance between the Atmos ceiling speakers to your Main Listening Position (MLP). Use the following web app to determine the amp power requirements based on a number installation factors: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

With 90dB/W/m speaker efficiency - assuming the KG 1.5 will be using for the Atmos ceiling speakers, one would think it would not require that much power to reach reference level of 105dB peak at the MLP.

I don't want to stray too far away from the Emotiva theme; however, using the splcalculator you referenced the Klipsch SA-2 ceiling speakers I have are 93 db, are ten feet away from the listening post, and there are four of them, so 100 watts would produce 109.3 db spl at listening post. I think I'm good with an AVR like the 7010. If power is the only issue, do you agree?
post #2223 of 2225 Unread Today, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quick question: Interested in the XPA-5 and heard there are periodic sales on the XPA series. If so, when and where do these occur?

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #2224 of 2225 Unread Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
I don't want to stray too far away from the Emotiva theme; however, using the splcalculator you referenced the Klipsch SA-2 ceiling speakers I have are 93 db, are ten feet away from the listening post, and there are four of them, so 100 watts would produce 109.3 db spl at listening post. I think I'm good with an AVR like the 7010. If power is the only issue, do you agree?
If you're ok with having multiple boxes - looking at two or three power amps?

I wouldn't mind having ATI 2000 series all round, got a 2003 myself but adding a 2004 is pretty expensive, and only surrounds, and they only cost me £400 for both pairs (BP-2X) so spending £2500 on amplifiers seems a bit much.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #2225 of 2225 Unread Today, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Yes.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page