Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 75 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #2221 of 2243 Old 04-26-2015, 05:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
No 7009 specs but use this as a approx guide

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ver-test-bench

Thanks for the information. It appears the 7008 would produce at least 100+ watts with four channels. I will probably be looking at the 7010. If all the amp. manufacturers would provide specs like Emotiva does, I would not have ask these questions. Thanks again.
azz7686 likes this.
Alanlee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2222 of 2243 Old 04-26-2015, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
These technical issues get past me, but I keep reading, and I manage to retain some knowledge. I have two NAD Amps that are now powering my fronts and two center channel speakers, and a Sunfire amp powering my surround. My Pioneer 7 channel AVR is only driving the rear surrounds. I have been looking at the XPR-5 for my surrounds or maybe the front and center. Here is my question: If I were to purchase a Marantz 7009, a nine channel amp, and used it only to power four Atmos speakers, how many watts would I develop if the specs say it produces 125 watts with two channels running? It seems to me there would be more than enough power for Atmos, but as I said at the beginning - what do I know?


My fronts are Cornwalls (98db) and the two centers are Heresies (97db). The surrounds are KG 1.5 (90db). All speakers are 8ohms
What is the distance between the Atmos ceiling speakers to your Main Listening Position (MLP). Use the following web app to determine the amp power requirements based on a number installation factors: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

With 90dB/W/m speaker efficiency - assuming the KG 1.5 will be using for the Atmos ceiling speakers, one would think it would not require that much power to reach reference level of 105dB peak at the MLP.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
steveting99 is online now  
post #2223 of 2243 Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
What is the distance between the Atmos ceiling speakers to your Main Listening Position (MLP). Use the following web app to determine the amp power requirements based on a number installation factors: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

With 90dB/W/m speaker efficiency - assuming the KG 1.5 will be using for the Atmos ceiling speakers, one would think it would not require that much power to reach reference level of 105dB peak at the MLP.

I don't want to stray too far away from the Emotiva theme; however, using the splcalculator you referenced the Klipsch SA-2 ceiling speakers I have are 93 db, are ten feet away from the listening post, and there are four of them, so 100 watts would produce 109.3 db spl at listening post. I think I'm good with an AVR like the 7010. If power is the only issue, do you agree?
Alanlee is offline  
post #2224 of 2243 Old 04-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quick question: Interested in the XPA-5 and heard there are periodic sales on the XPA series. If so, when and where do these occur?

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
gene4ht is online now  
post #2225 of 2243 Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I don't want to stray too far away from the Emotiva theme; however, using the splcalculator you referenced the Klipsch SA-2 ceiling speakers I have are 93 db, are ten feet away from the listening post, and there are four of them, so 100 watts would produce 109.3 db spl at listening post. I think I'm good with an AVR like the 7010. If power is the only issue, do you agree?
If you're ok with having multiple boxes - looking at two or three power amps?

I wouldn't mind having ATI 2000 series all round, got a 2003 myself but adding a 2004 is pretty expensive, and only surrounds, and they only cost me £400 for both pairs (BP-2X) so spending £2500 on amplifiers seems a bit much.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
fatbottom is offline  
post #2226 of 2243 Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I don't want to stray too far away from the Emotiva theme; however, using the splcalculator you referenced the Klipsch SA-2 ceiling speakers I have are 93 db, are ten feet away from the listening post, and there are four of them, so 100 watts would produce 109.3 db spl at listening post. I think I'm good with an AVR like the 7010. If power is the only issue, do you agree?
Yes.
CruelInventions likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #2227 of 2243 Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
If you're ok with having multiple boxes - looking at two or three power amps?

I wouldn't mind having ATI 2000 series all round, got a 2003 myself but adding a 2004 is pretty expensive, and only surrounds, and they only cost me £400 for both pairs (BP-2X) so spending £2500 on amplifiers seems a bit much.

Yeah - I am not sure when it is time to stop buying amps. I have four in service now (2 NADS, 1 Sunfire, and the Pioneer AVR). I could retire the Sunfire if I bought the Emotiva XPA 5.0, or keep the Sunfire and I am one amp away from Atmos and a pre-pro which brings on a whole new set of decisions. I will probably buy the Emotiva and another AVR to use the amps for Atmos.
Alanlee is offline  
post #2228 of 2243 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Quick question: Interested in the XPA-5 and heard there are periodic sales on the XPA series. If so, when and where do these occur?
Bump: Is my information inaccurate or is this a well guarded secret???

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
gene4ht is online now  
post #2229 of 2243 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,743
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I doubt anybody remembers exact dates. They usually have a holiday sale around Christmas and one around the first of July but seem to have special sales fairly often. Become an e-club member if you want notice and you'll get a 10 % discount all the time.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #2230 of 2243 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Member
 
almo89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Bump: Is my information inaccurate or is this a well guarded secret???

I think they do a big sale every winter. Maybe wait until October or November for this to go on sale.
almo89 is online now  
post #2231 of 2243 Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I doubt anybody remembers exact dates. They usually have a holiday sale around Christmas and one around the first of July but seem to have special sales fairly often. Become an e-club member if you want notice and you'll get a 10 % discount all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
I think they do a big sale every winter. Maybe wait until October or November for this to go on sale.
Great...appreciate the responses! Looks like my first step should be an e-club membership!

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
gene4ht is online now  
post #2232 of 2243 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,474
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Thumbs up to Emotiva.

I developed a buzz on my amp that I felt to be DC issues caused by the plasma. Bought a CMX2 and it fixed it! Link with audio files in case any of you ever have a similar issue.

Emotiva CMX-2 for Transformer Buzz/Hum

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC62II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #2233 of 2243 Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Quick question: Interested in the XPA-5 and heard there are periodic sales on the XPA series. If so, when and where do these occur?
There was an exclusive e-club factory warehouse sale announced on 29-Jan-2015. The products on offer are re-furbished units that come with a full warranty by Emotiva.

The prices are very good. An order was placed for a pair of XPA-5 Gen2 units just last week. Don't know how many are left over, or availability for other gear but once you become a member, inquire and ask what's still there.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)

Last edited by steveting99; Yesterday at 11:32 PM. Reason: smilie added
steveting99 is online now  
post #2234 of 2243 Old Today, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
dkami712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 115
They used to do sales quite frequently. Now its maybe three times a year. Definitely a holiday sale, I would expect a summer sale coming up relatively soon as well. I'm waiting eagerly to jump on an XPA-5

Emotiva XMC-1
RF-82
RC-62
RS-62
RB-81
dkami712 is offline  
post #2235 of 2243 Old Today, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
There was an exclusive e-club factory warehouse sale announced on 29-Jan-2015. The products on offer are re-furbished units that come with a full warranty by Emotiva.

The prices are very good. An order was placed for a pair of XPA-5 Gen2 units just last week. Don't know how many are left over, or availability for other gear but once you become a member, inquire and ask what's still there.
Thanks! I'll do an immediate inquiry....that is...after enrolling in the e-club after this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkami712 View Post
They used to do sales quite frequently. Now its maybe three times a year. Definitely a holiday sale, I would expect a summer sale coming up relatively soon as well. I'm waiting eagerly to jump on an XPA-5
Dependent on what is available in the factory warehouse, I will be waiting along with you!

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
gene4ht is online now  
post #2236 of 2243 Old Today, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
dkami712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Thanks! I'll do an immediate inquiry....that is...after enrolling in the e-club after this post.
Dependent on what is available in the factory warehouse, I will be waiting along with you!
Let us know what you find

Emotiva XMC-1
RF-82
RC-62
RS-62
RB-81
dkami712 is offline  
post #2237 of 2243 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
defdog99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Bump: Is my information inaccurate or is this a well guarded secret???
they are a 3rd party merchant on Amazon, and the prices do go down on Amazon when they are on sale.
So load one onto your wish list and check it every day.
It usually drops $100ish on the $900 model.
$50 on the lesser ones.
Once a year is all I ever notice.
defdog99 is offline  
post #2238 of 2243 Old Today, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post
they are a 3rd party merchant on Amazon, and the prices do go down on Amazon when they are on sale.
So load one onto your wish list and check it every day.
It usually drops $100ish on the $900 model.
$50 on the lesser ones.
Once a year is all I ever notice.
That's one way of obtaining more favorable pricing for non e-club members. If I understand the e-club advantages correctly, a 10% discount is applied to all orders for members.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
gene4ht is online now  
post #2239 of 2243 Old Today, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkami712 View Post
Let us know what you find
Just spoke with Emotiva sales and was advised that there are currently no "factory renewed" XPA-5's left. It was also mentioned that these "factory renewed" sales are not announced on their website but typically will be announced in their e-club newsletter. I'll be eagerly awaiting either their next newsletter or seasonal sale.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
gene4ht is online now  
post #2240 of 2243 Unread Today, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
dkami712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Just spoke with Emotiva sales and was advised that there are currently no "factory renewed" XPA-5's left. It was also mentioned that these "factory renewed" sales are not announced on their website but typically will be announced in their e-club newsletter. I'll be eagerly awaiting either their next newsletter or seasonal sale.
As long as you're waiting for the sale you might as well take advantage of the SVS 110% upgrade sale and get yourself dual PB-13 Ultras

Emotiva XMC-1
RF-82
RC-62
RS-62
RB-81
dkami712 is offline  
post #2241 of 2243 Unread Today, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkami712 View Post
As long as you're waiting for the sale you might as well take advantage of the SVS 110% upgrade sale and get yourself dual PB-13 Ultras
WOW...just saw that...great promotion ...and extremely tempting but I'm actually very happy with the performance of dual PB-2000's in my environment. My next upgrades will be the 7's and the 64's and then the XPA-5. Thanks for bringing the sale to my attention!

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809, TX-NR636
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
gene4ht is online now  
post #2242 of 2243 Unread Today, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,480
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I don't want to stray too far away from the Emotiva theme; however, using the splcalculator you referenced the Klipsch SA-2 ceiling speakers I have are 93 db, are ten feet away from the listening post, and there are four of them, so 100 watts would produce 109.3 db spl at listening post. I think I'm good with an AVR like the 7010. If power is the only issue, do you agree?
Alanlee,

Based on 93dB/W/m sensitivity, 10'distance MLP, four speakers - I concur with Don50 that 100W per channel to each of the Kilpsh SA-2 is plenty to get to reference and then some more.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8(on order), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 Gen2 (on order)
steveting99 is online now  
post #2243 of 2243 Unread Today, 09:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Alanlee,

Based on 93dB/W/m sensitivity, 10'distance MLP, four speakers - I concur with Don50 that 100W per channel to each of the Kilpsh SA-2 is plenty to get to reference and then some more.
Thanks - I am making room in my rack for another amp. I have a place for the AVR or pre-pro. I have two ceiling speakers mounted (rear). Two to go. You guys rock.
Alanlee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off