Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
post #2251 of 2257 Old 05-09-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Well, the first thing I would start doing is to systematically troubleshoot the cause.

1. Remove all cables except power and turn on the amp. Does is still exhibit the same problem? If so, it may be internal. If not, it may be an issue with one of the connected devices or interconnects.

2. If it stays on with nothing connected start connecting one cable back into the amp at a time and test until the problem resurfaces. Once the problem resurfaces, remove all other cables except for the last thing you plugged in that reintroduced the problem. Test again. If the problem persists that is the culprit. Troubleshooting further will depend on what connected device is causing the issue.
a. First thing would be to replace the interconnect causing the issue.
b. Move the cable to another input/output on the amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
+1 on duc ^

Thx guys, I'll do the basics 101 remove everything except the power cord, turn on, and see what's up, then add the 12v trigger, let that power it up, then the R, C, L individual each and see cause<>effect that way.

Thing is, it worked perfect for 2 plus solid years and then this happened, I did NOTHING to change my set-up at all.
As Engineer first thing I always think about is "what changed that caused this effect" ... nothing cable wise ...

As a matter of fact, 3 weeks ago I had a fellow AVS member Tim ( The Stonewater Cinema Build Thread)over as he was in town and it did it during our demo time .
I un-plugged the 12v trigger thinking that was sending false signals to the XPA-3 and still did it.

What I was wondering if there was existing know issue, like a blown capacitor that was causing this in a specific circuit.

Busy today, 3 kids in 2 soccer tournaments, so maybe later tonight will do some root cause analysis and post back here.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 05-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2257 Old 05-09-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 406
A while back one of my amps kept going into protection and nothing had changed, or so I thought. Turns out my son had stepped on a cable setting up (or pulling out, I forget) his PS3 and the loose connection was the problem. Sometimes you have to go back to basics, assume nothing, and just go through the checklist.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2253 of 2257 Old 05-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Thx guys, I'll do the basics 101 remove everything except the power cord, turn on, and see what's up ... I was wondering if there was existing known issue, like a blown capacitor ... busy today, 3 kids in 2 soccer tournaments, so maybe later tonight will do some root cause analysis and post back here.
No known issue produces your described issue AFAIK. That you can ultimately tease performance out of your XPA makes me think you will discover a non-internal cause. What kind of connections do you use for your speaker wires? The last poster shares a great reminder about the importance of clean, solid fits. Hope the kids' soccer games went well. ⚽️
post #2254 of 2257 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
OH DEAR LOL 27W a channel???

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ver-test-bench

"I heard it will make no difference with my AVR power and speakers."

27W is pretty poor, so your Emotiva will be upgrade. Actually Klipsch have been found to be less efficient than stated specifications.
I have Denon x4100w (125w) running all 7 channels. Mains are Goldenear Triton 5 and SuperCenter XL. I think towers are 90db.

Do you guys think XPA5 would improve SQ?
post #2255 of 2257 Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread

I use 14/4 in wall wire for each speaker, so effectively 11 gage wire. RCA good quality interconnects pre out to in for signal

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431650259.964807.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	717426

Unplugged everything, shut it all off, turned just the emotiva on, it did not power off after 20 minutes.

I then found out the Denon 4520 had zone 4 on, who knows how long.

So, I connected all speaker wires and interconnects , turned on everything, it's been problem free 3 days now......

Can't explain it except the zone 4 somehow triggered a false 12v signal trigger to turn off the emotiva?
I'm grasping at straws but now it works fine

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #2256 of 2257 Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I have Denon x4100w (125w) running all 7 channels. Mains are Goldenear Triton 5 and SuperCenter XL. I think towers are 90db.

Do you guys think XPA5 would improve SQ?
DaveyMac,

The Denon X4100w spec is for 2 channel "solid" stereo mode only and into 8 ohms nominal load. Once you go to multi-channel operation, that power figure no longer holds true.

Once you try running all channels, the maximum power per channel will drop to around 80W (this is a guess). I can't easily find bench tests to confirm 5-channel and 7-channel numbers for the X4100W. Perhaps someone on this thread can. Edit: Found the bench tests for an older Denon model that has the same 2 channel power amp rating as the X4100W at secrets of home theater site here: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures

The main question is the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) that you're currently achieving with the X4100W and the speakers, is it sufficient to reach reference level? It will depend a lot on your room, where the speakers are placed relative to the room boundaries, the speaker sensitivity, the number of speakers and distance between the Main Listening Position (MLP) and the speakers.

I use the following web app to help determine if 105 dB peak can be achieved at the MLP with your current speaker setup and with your Denon X4100W: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If you find out that power is insufficient, then look at external amps. The XPA-5 is one such option for your front sound stage which will consume the most amount of power - particularly the front left, center and front right channels.

Note that the X4100W has some limitations on the number of channels it can process - a maximum of 9. It also has limitations if you want to go with four ceiling speakers - it needs an additional 2 channel external amp for this.

Edit: Regarding your question of sound quality improvement, it's difficult to say. But a clean signal from the amp to your speakers is needed to provide good sound reproduction. If there is increased distortion of the signal out of the amp due to higher load demands, it will generally degrade the sound quality.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order)

Last edited by steveting99; Today at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo and additional text for clarity.
post #2257 of 2257 Unread Today, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
{ABOVE}
Thanks a lot for the detailed response speakers are within 10 feet of MLP, so it hits reference no problem. I'll report back what happens with SQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page