Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 60Likes
post #2371 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_liks View Post
i have full set of Polk LSI series speakers LSI9 up front, LSIC Center , LSI7 rears and a Klipsch RW-12D, I had this setup for about 5 years, and everywhere i read it said the onkyo 708 wouldn't really push the LSI to their full capacity , so i saved up and got me an Emotiva XPA-5 ran the Odyssey on it , man i will have to say, im really disappointed in it, not really a noticeable different with extra $1000 power amp ... im sure im doing something wrong lol
You're probably not doing anything wrong. You're just being honest with what you experienced.

I'm sure if you were to post this result, those same people are going to tell you the amp is defective or that you are doing something wrong. That adding a big external amp should really let your speakers "open up" or "lift the veil"or any other number of colorful descriptions that have no scientific backing or basis.

If you were not at the limits of your AVR's internal amps then adding an external amp will not make an audible difference.
KMFDMvsEnya, lovinthehd and grtuck like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Red face Xpa-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post
Dang it! I was supposed to get my XPA-3 in the mail today, but it is delayed (for who knows how long!) via UPS due to a train derailment!

My luck...

Haha.
I received an XPA-5 in the mail a few days ago. I have it plugged into my system and have been listening to various sources to test it out. It's good! I don't hear a whole lot of difference between the XPA-5, my NAD 275's and my Sunfire, however, adding the Emotiva improved the system as a whole. I now have 9.2 amps and subwoofers. I am going to wait for the 2016 models to replace the AVR with another AVR or Pre-pro.

I feel a little like Meatloaf in Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. The 2015 models are saying "do you love me; will you love meforever?" I'm saying I'm not sure, I think I may have to wait another year. Ok, Meatloaf didn't say that. I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp rack.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	842026  
post #2373 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
i have full set of Polk LSI series speakers LSI9 up front, LSIC Center , LSI7 rears and a Klipsch RW-12D, I had this setup for about 5 years, and everywhere i read it said the onkyo 708 wouldn't really push the LSI to their full capacity , so i saved up and got me an Emotiva XPA-5 ran the Odyssey on it , man i will have to say, im really disappointed in it, not really a noticeable different with extra $1000 power amp ... im sure im doing something wrong lol
Keep the XPA-5 in the loop for a week or two to get used to it, then plug the speakers back into the 708. Does the sound seem anemic, or missing "something".

Haha, DUC got there. I will add to the "open up" comment above to qualify my response/thought.
I have 3x Polk Rti A9 LCR(running in full range), with RTi A3 front uppers, and FXi 6 surrounds that used to run on an Onkyo TX NR 808, then ran with the 808 and XPA-3 in a 19' x20' shared space with the movie area being ~11.5'x19'. When I added the XPA-3, the lower/lower mid range became more audible and clear. I don't have a calibrated microphone to prove it, but it was clear as day difference. That receiver has since been retired with a bad HDMI board and replaced by an Denon 4520CL. However, I am more than willing to test it out if anyone in update NY has the receiver and a mic to do so. If there are no measureable results, I will eat my words and shut up in the future.

Our Space
PSN: brotj7

Last edited by rfbrang; 07-21-2015 at 01:19 PM.
post #2374 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post
Keep the XPA-5 in the loop for a week or two to get used to it, then plug the speakers back into the 708. Does the sound seem anemic, or missing "something".
I've had my XPR-5 for over a year hooked up to Salon2s, run full range at reference and they do not sound any different when I switch back to my Denon AVR. No anemic or something missing sounds. The only thing missing are the pretty dancing lights I see on my XPR-5. Maybe I've just gone tone deaf.

You are right though. Since he already had the amp, there's no harm in giving it a couple weeks. He just needs to make sure that he's level matched as closely as possible when making the comparison.

Last edited by duc135; 07-21-2015 at 01:12 PM.
post #2375 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I've had my XPR-5 for over a year hooked up to Salon2s, run full range at reference and they do not sound any different when I switch back to my Denon AVR. No anemic or something missing sounds. The only thing missing are the pretty dancing lights I see on my XPR-5. Maybe I've just gone tone deaf.

You are right though. Since he already had the amp, there's no harm in giving it a couple weeks. He just needs to make sure that he's level matched as closely as possible when making the comparison.
Sorry, I updated my post. Just trying to help is all, I have not been able to delve into the world of waterfall graphs and tangible results yet. Next theatre...

Our Space
post #2376 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I updated my post. Just trying to help is all, I have not been able to delve into the world of waterfall graphs and tangible results yet. Next theatre...
I made measurements on my system and while there were some differences, they were negligible and not audible. The differences could easily have been ambient transient noises.

The hard drive on my laptop I used for REW has since died and been rebuilt. I no longer have the measurements of my system. I actually had quite a few measurements on the testing of external amps vs. an AVR, speaker burn-in, bi-wiring, passive (fool's) bi-amping, etc.
post #2377 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Your 708 has plenty of juice to drive those speakers, unless you're trying to achieve reference levels, and that's where the external amp comes into play. If your are listening at -15 below refernce or below, most likely your avr has the power you need. You can do some research to be sure - take the distance your MLP is from your speakers and your desired listening levels, and plug it into an online amp calculator like Crown has at their site (link below), and it will give you an idea of the power you need. Amps are a good investment, as they give you the headroom you need for peaks, and they give you great peace of mind. As far as improved sound quality, well you've already experienced how that works.

http://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/c...power_required
azz7686 likes this.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #2378 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's whats great about this hobby, we all have different opinions and experiences, and ears and rooms lol, I know I don't have the best ears in the world but one of the biggest improvements to date was adding two UPA-1 amps to my Yamaha Receiver, all volume levels sounded just straight up clearer and more dynamic, but that's my ears and my room, and speakers and room make a big difference as well, if you want better SQ add some acoustic treatments

Chad

Processor - Sherbourn PT-7030, Speakers - Chane A5rx-c, A2rx-c, UAC-8.2 rears, Subs - Mach 5 IXL-18's, Amps - Emotiva XPA-5, Behringer EP4000 Sub amp, Sources - Mac Mini, Oppo 103, Display - Panasonic PCP60UT50

post #2379 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Got my XPA-3 in the mail today! I hope I have time on Thursday to hook it up and play around with it a little.
post #2380 of 2391 Old 07-21-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creimes View Post
...if you want better SQ add some acoustic treatments
+1
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #2381 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Can't wait until I fit full 128 speaker ATMOS, then buy three XPR-1's for each speaker, each speaker triamped.

All plugged into one mains strip lol

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #2382 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Can't wait until I fit full 128 speaker ATMOS, then buy three XPR-1's for each speaker, each speaker triamped.

All plugged into one mains strip lol
Bwaahaahaaa...
Please let me know when so I can purchase a share or two in your parent electric company.

I shouldn't laugh though, my final tally will actually be 3 - XPA-5's and 2 XPR-1's....
(And that's if I use an AVR and not a Pre/Pro)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #2383 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Bwaahaahaaa...
Please let me know when so I can purchase a share or two in your parent electric company.

I shouldn't laugh though, my final tally will actually be 3 - XPA-5's and 2 XPR-1's....
(And that's if I use an AVR and not a Pre/Pro)
I dunno....that sounds a little under powered to me. Can you bridge 9 XPA-5's? :>)

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #2384 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Got my XPA-3 in the mail today! I hope I have time on Thursday to hook it up and play around with it a little.
Congrats! Let me know how it goes. I receive mine this Friday. My new stand to accompany the XPA-3 arrives today. I plan on having it all assembled and ready for the XPA-3!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #2385 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=rfbrang;35926930]Keep the XPA-5 in the loop for a week or two to get used to it, then plug the speakers back into the 708. Does the sound seem anemic, or missing "something".

I know you did not say this, but I am wondering if there is a break-in period for an XPA-5. I mean after it runs for awhile, it starts firing on all cylinders so to speak and sounds different. Even though I have only had the amp for a few days, I can tell already that I would miss it if I took it off line. Because I added the SPA-5, I am now using NAD 275's for surround and surround back which provides a nice balance.

The XPA-5 is driving the front (Klipsch Cornwalls) and center speakers (2 Klipsch Heresies). I don't know how the Klipsches compare to other speakers, but I think they are fairly efficient, so the Emotiva does not have to work hard to drive them. Anyhow the XPA-5 sounds good to me. If there is a break-in period after which it "burns-in" and sounds better, then WOW.
post #2386 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

[quote=Alanlee;35954250]
Quote:

I know you did not say this, but I am wondering if there is a break-in period for an XPA-5. I mean after it runs for awhile, it starts firing on all cylinders so to speak and sounds different. Even though I have only had the amp for a few days, I can tell already that I would miss it if I took it off line. Because I added the SPA-5, I am now using NAD 275's for surround and surround back which provides a nice balance.

The XPA-5 is driving the front (Klipsch Cornwalls) and center speakers (2 Klipsch Heresies). I don't know how the Klipsches compare to other speakers, but I think they are fairly efficient, so the Emotiva does not have to work hard to drive them. Anyhow the XPA-5 sounds good to me. If there is a break-in period after which it "burns-in" and sounds better, then WOW.
Pure conjecture here: This being my first amp, my guess/inclination would be not beyond the first time few times it was turned on which was most likely done at the factory. Solder or other subtraits might need a chance to break in like a computer processor before you overclock it...??? Others can probably answer more definatively...

Our Space
post #2387 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

[quote=rfbrang;35954858]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post

Pure conjecture here: This being my first amp, my guess/inclination would be not beyond the first time few times it was turned on which was most likely done at the factory. Solder or other subtraits might need a chance to break in like a computer processor before you overclock it...??? Others can probably answer more definatively...
Yeah I'd be interested to know this as well.
post #2388 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 178
The only thing breaking in is the listener's perceptions.

A well constructed amp's performance is not going to become unleashed with any break-in shenanigans. Depending on the class of amplifier like tubes or straight class A those amps will benefit from a bit of a warm up period but beyond that nope.

If your prior form of amplification was of decent quality and you never really taxed it, then you will not hear a lick of difference between it and the XPA. What it will afford you is peace of mind in that no distortion or compression from the amp will likely to occur with aggressively loud passages. Unless of course you have an extremely large room with really inefficient speakers then you will definitely hear improved dynamics and less fatigue.

CPUs do not need a break-in period either before OCing, just make sure cooling is correct and progressively step up the settings till it is no longer stable then back off.

Best regards,
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #2389 of 2391 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
The only thing breaking in is the listener's perceptions.

A well constructed amp's performance is not going to become unleashed with any break-in shenanigans. Depending on the class of amplifier like tubes or straight class A those amps will benefit from a bit of a warm up period but beyond that nope.

If your prior form of amplification was of decent quality and you never really taxed it, then you will not hear a lick of difference between it and the XPA. What it will afford you is peace of mind in that no distortion or compression from the amp will likely to occur with aggressively loud passages. Unless of course you have an extremely large room with really inefficient speakers then you will definitely hear improved dynamics and less fatigue.

CPUs do not need a break-in period either before OCing, just make sure cooling is correct and progressively step up the settings till it is no longer stable then back off.

Best regards,
KvE

Thanks for a definitive answer.
post #2390 of 2391 Old Today, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Finally! No more pain from the derailed train. Have fun and post impressions.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #2391 of 2391 Unread Today, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Finally! No more pain from the derailed train. Have fun and post impressions.
Heck yes! And will do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page