Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 67Likes
post #2401 of 2410 Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 547
AFAIK there is no option to bridge channels of an XPA-5. If you bridge the XPA-2, it is only rated for 8-ohm nominal speakers. Your Studio 100 v2's are 4 ohms or so over much of the midbass region per Stereophile measurements, http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...O36YIpj4GMT.97). Your FL/FR speakers are rated 350 W max, 210 W program, so I think a single XPA-2 for the pair of them would be plenty.

IMO - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2410 Old 08-18-2015, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
AFAIK there is no option to bridge channels of an XPA-5. If you bridge the XPA-2, it is only rated for 8-ohm nominal speakers. Your Studio 100 v2's are 4 ohms or so over much of the midbass region per Stereophile measurements, http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...O36YIpj4GMT.97). Your FL/FR speakers are rated 350 W max, 210 W program, so I think a single XPA-2 for the pair of them would be plenty.

IMO - Don
Don, Thank you for the info that a XPA-5 cannot be bridged. I am planning to buy the XPA-7 now. I currently bridge 2 sets of 2 channels on my Adcom GFA-7500 to power my Studio 100s. I will try them with the XPA-7 as well. Once I get my Atmos speakers, then I will decide if I can afford or need the additional XPA-2. I have two 20 amp circuits wired to mt HT cabinet. One was for power and one was for source. I may have to split these amps between the two circuits.
post #2403 of 2410 Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dare to compare?

Any XPA-7 (XPA-5) owners care to chime in on whether they'd take the Outlaw Audio 7700 (7500) over the XPA-7? I'm currently in a struggle to decide which is right for me. The 7700 is fully balanced while the XPA-7 is not and the 7700 has more juice under the hood.

But the real question is, which amp produces the best sound from its 200 watts and which amp is more reliable and covered with the better customer support?
post #2404 of 2410 Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
Any XPA-7 (XPA-5) owners care to chime in on whether they'd take the Outlaw Audio 7700 (7500) over the XPA-7? I'm currently in a struggle to decide which is right for me. The 7700 is fully balanced while the XPA-7 is not and the 7700 has more juice under the hood.

But the real question is, which amp produces the best sound from its 200 watts and which amp is more reliable and covered with the better customer support?
The balanced amp of the Outlaw Audio (either 7700 or 7500) would only be of benefit if the entire signal chain up-stream of the amp is completely balanced. I.e. both the source and pre/pro must be fully balanced to get the full benefit of Common Mode Rejection Ratio (CMMR) that is found in balanced circuits. The purpose of balanced circuits is to lower the noise floor for a complete black back ground on high sensitivity speakers. There should be no audible hiss or hum.

If there are any devices in the audio chain that are single ended and then converted to balanced along the way before the balanced amp, there would not be as much benefit.

Having a complete balanced setup is extremely expensive. You are effectively paying for twice the number of circuits that must be matched with tight tolerances.
John Budny likes this.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2405 of 2410 Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
The balanced amp of the Outlaw Audio (either 7700 or 7500) would only be of benefit if the entire signal chain up-stream of the amp is completely balanced. I.e. both the source and pre/pro must be fully balanced to get the full benefit of Common Mode Rejection Ratio (CMMR) that is found in balanced circuits. The purpose of balanced circuits is to lower the noise floor for a complete black back ground on high sensitivity speakers. There should be no audible hiss or hum.

If there are any devices in the audio chain that are single ended and then converted to balanced along the way before the balanced amp, there would not be as much benefit.

Having a complete balanced setup is extremely expensive. You are effectively paying for twice the number of circuits that must be matched with tight tolerances.
Do blu-ray players send a balanced signal via HDMI? Specifically the Oppo 103? ...and thank you for your insight, it's appreciated.
post #2406 of 2410 Old 08-28-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
Do blu-ray players send a balanced signal via HDMI? Specifically the Oppo 103? ...and thank you for your insight, it's appreciated.
John,

HDMI is in digital domain so the work of converting this digital signal into a balanced analogue stereo/multi-channel signal is the job of the pre/pro. So it will very much depend on what type of pre/pro is be connected to the Oppo BDP-103.

True balanced stereo pre/pro are not cheap. True multi-channel balanced pre/pro are getting into the uber expensive range. An example is the new Mcintosh Labs MX160.
John Budny likes this.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2407 of 2410 Old 08-28-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Technically HDMI data signals are differential (balanced) but as steveting99 said they are digital, not analog, so not relevant to this discussion.

Balanced connections are mainly the province of $2k and up AVRs and pre/pros.
John Budny likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2408 of 2410 Old 09-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Steve and Don, thanks for clearing that up for me.

I've been looking at the Emo XMC-1, however I'm going to hold off as I'd like Dolby Atmos support and Emo is apparently working on a replacement for the XMC-1 that will carry enough channels to support Atmos.

Emotiva describes the XMC-1 as having, "...a true balanced audiophile signal path". Can I safely assume this is the case or should I be looking beyond the sales jargon?
post #2409 of 2410 Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a link to a technical review in the XMC-1 thread that details the design. The main L/R is balanced all the way; the internals are balanced or pseudo-differential for the rest IIRC. I have generally found balanced only matters in very long runs in pro installs or the very rare home installation. Balanced does help avoid ground loops, perhaps the biggest benefit for consumers. However, having run both over the years, balanced (or not) has never really been a factor in my choice of components, and never for a power amp. Amplifier outputs are intrinsically single-ended in the vast majority of designs and there are some drawbacks to differential outputs.

YMMV - Don

post #2410 of 2410 Unread Today, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi all,

I have been on the Marantz AV8802A thread for a while since I just purchased it. I also recently purchased an Emotiva XPA-7 and a XPA-2 to upgrade my HT. The XPA-2 is working fine but the XPA-7 is having power up issues and keeps going into "Safe Mode". I just requested an RMA for the XPA-7 and ordered a new replacement unit. I had to provide a credit card to get them to send me a new unit while I prepare to return the faulty unit. Otherwise, I would have had to wait for them to receive the faulty unit, evaluate it and then send me the replacement.

At least one other person on the AV8802A thread had the exact same issue with his first XPA-7. Apparently Emotiva does not have very good final testing and quality control system. It seems like, from these threads, if you get a good unit then it is solid. Does anyone on this thread have any experience with this type of power up issues with their XPA Amps? I do not want to bash Emotiva based on two isolated instances. I was not happy with the UPS freight deliver service that they use. No one told be that I had to call and schedule my delivery. They only answer their phones, M-F, 8-5 EST. The scheduled delivery was last Friday so I took the day off from work and it did not arrive. I thought for sure that it would then be delivered on Saturday. I tried to call but no answer and no delivery. I called first thing Monday morning and found out that I had to schedule my delivery and the first available window was Tuesday, 2-6. I ended up driving to the UPS freight warehouse and pick it up myself. Now I will have to go back to RMA my faulty unit.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier