Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #2581 of 2589 Old 09-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
I grabbed a cable from Radio Shack. All is well.

Next question: After running Audyssey, my settings are REALLY low, and it was suggested I turn the amp down. Is that even possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What settings are low? Any changes you make to the output of the amp will require a rerun of audyssey.

Are you hitting the negative 12.5db wall on your speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2589 Old 09-04-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
If you have very efficient speakers and/or are sitting fairly close to them then the gain trims may be set too low. Implies you don't really need the amplifier... You can pick up inline attenuators to reduce the effective amplifier gain.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2583 of 2589 Old 09-04-2016, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post
What settings are low? Any changes you make to the output of the amp will require a rerun of audyssey.

Are you hitting the negative 12.5db wall on your speakers?
Here's what I ended up with after running Audyssey.

This Week: Paradigm Prestige 85F mains | Paradigm Prestige 45c center | Paradigm Monitor 3 surrounds | Marantz SR7009 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Marantz 5005 Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4 | REGA DAC.
post #2584 of 2589 Old 09-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyo View Post
Here's what I ended up with after running Audyssey.

That's really weird. Did you use the correct microphone that came with the avr and on a mic stand?
post #2585 of 2589 Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

It is indicative of a system with too much gain from AVR to ears. And that you may not have needed to add the amplifier at all. Or simply that the external amplifier has more gain than the internal amplifiers (not unusual) so you need to adjust the gain someplace before the amplifier.

- What were the settings before you added the amplifier?
- What speakers are you using, and how far away from them do you sit?

I would check to see if there is another gain or trim setting someplace in the AVR to reduce the volume.

You can buy inline attenuators to reduce the signal level to the amplifier, something like these: http://www.parts-express.com/Search....itesearch=true I would try the 12 dB version since you are all the way down, or maybe 6 dB if you want room to turn up the trims after Audyssey does its thing. There are probably cheaper versions around, I found these after a quick search of Parts Express.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #2586 of 2589 Old 09-05-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
If you have very efficient speakers and/or are sitting fairly close to them then the gain trims may be set too low. Implies you don't really need the amplifier... You can pick up inline attenuators to reduce the effective amplifier gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
It is indicative of a system with too much gain from AVR to ears. And that you may not have needed to add the amplifier at all. Or simply that the external amplifier has more gain than the internal amplifiers (not unusual) so you need to adjust the gain someplace before the amplifier.

- What were the settings before you added the amplifier?
- What speakers are you using, and how far away from them do you sit?

I would check to see if there is another gain or trim setting someplace in the AVR to reduce the volume.

You can buy inline attenuators to reduce the signal level to the amplifier, something like these: http://www.parts-express.com/Search....itesearch=true I would try the 12 dB version since you are all the way down, or maybe 6 dB if you want room to turn up the trims after Audyssey does its thing. There are probably cheaper versions around, I found these after a quick search of Parts Express.
Interesting. What is the concern about having his trims set where they are? In the Marantz 8802a thread I think it is pretty common for people to report around -8 to -10 dB levels as set by Audyssey. In my case I am using an 8802a with a Emotiva gen3 and speakers with 90 dB sensitivity and Audyssey sets my trims at around -9 dB. Are there any potential issue running it like that?
post #2587 of 2589 Old 09-05-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the lower trim limit was -12 dB but I may be wrong. My concern is that, if the "real" value required is say -15 dB, then correct amplitude balance cannot be achieved among the speakers because the attenuation limits at -12 dB, and there is no way for the user to know how far off from ideal the gain is in the system. If the limit of the AVR is -12.1 dB then there is no concern (except very little margin). I am also concerned about the implications for the internal filters with respect to gain and amplitude optimization through the filter chain but have no way of knowing exactly how Audyssey handles that internal. Optimization of signal levels through a cascade of filters gets complicated.

I would not be concerned about a -9 dB trim level if the limit is -12 dB.

I would have the same concerns if Audyssey set the level to +12 dB, implying the amplifier did not have enough gain to balance levels among the speakers. Similar analogy; if a channel needs +15 dB, and the limit is 12 dB, that channel will be be loud enough relative to the other channels,and there is no way to know how far off it is.

HTH - Don

post #2588 of 2589 Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Someone sell me their mint condition/100% working perfect XPA5-GEN2 AMP please...

I have one that I might not use now. I went with elusive 1099s for the lcr duties and I am afraid I won't gain any benefit by using the xpa5 instead of the avr amp since they are so efficient. PM me if you're interested.
post #2589 of 2589 Old 09-05-2016, 09:40 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassuki View Post
I have one that I might not use now. I went with elusive 1099s for the lcr duties and I am afraid I won't gain any benefit by using the xpa5 instead of the avr amp since they are so efficient. PM me if you're interested.

Sorry... Just realized mine is actually a gen1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier