AVS Forum banner

Official Emotiva XPA-5 Owners Thread

258K views 3K replies 380 participants last post by  wilbur_the_goose 
#1 ·
i recently acquired an Emotiva XPA-5, and to my shock, there was no thread aimed primarily at the owners of this particular amp on AVS Forum. So i had to start one.

This amp is spectacular. I hooked it up to my Denon 4310CI (used as a processor) and you simply hear details that were not there before. I'm sure you've heard that before, but i'm here to tell you it's the truth.

One particular example is in Transformers 2. The "pimp-slap" that Optimus Prime gives Megatron at the beginning of the Graveyard Battle sequence is quite telling. In the theaters, and back when I was using the Denon 4310CI for audio, that smack sounded like a "clink" with a small bit of after-effect. Once the Amp was driving my speakers, that same smack was a full fledged, detailed, metallic scream that sounded amazing.

Of course this is just one tiny example, but it's one that folks can find easily to test out. (I also popped in "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World" and talking about that movie is a whole new thread in and of itself). My fellow Emotiva XPA-5 owners--how has this amp improved your Home Theater and/or Music listening experience? Feel free to list examples in music and movies where you've heard a difference after blessing your system with the Emotiva XPA-5. Please list your speakers and processor as well. It would be great to get an idea of the gear we (XPA-5 owners) are using with the mighty amp.

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalya /forum/post/18247814

Does it make sense to make it a xpa-3/xpa-5 owners thread?

The XPA-3 already shares a thread with the XPA-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse /forum/post/18248099

Or maybe an "XPA series" owners thread. The 5 is probably the most popular in the series (who knows maybe its the 2) but I'm not sure how much traffic this thread'll get by itself.

There are dedicated threads for processors and amps. I'm just looking for this to be a place where XPA-5 Owners share. I'm not really big on traffic. Even if only three people share their experiences, that's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18248224

What happened to the Emotiva owners thread?

That's a very overarching thread. I want to focus on the granularities. The XPA-5 is one of many excellent amps produced by Emotiva.

#6 ·
Have been looking at multi-channel amps as a possible alternative to multiple stereo amps lately and the Emotiva XPA-5 caught my eye as a potential stop gap for consistent multi-channel sound until I have a chance to pick up multiple Hafler P3000s.

Have any of you used this with balanced connections? It looks like it would be a pretty solid piece that I could use with my Denon A7100 primary system, then shift over to my Room-B Rotel pre (still a very nice preamp) when I got around to picking up all the Haflers I would need.

#8 ·
I think it's a pretty good idea. Hopefully it will stay focused and not go to far astray.

#10 ·
Given the general similarities of between the XPA-2, XPA-3 and XPA-5, I would have thought one thread for all three would have made more sense.

Admittedly there are some differences, but mainly in power and with the filter capacitance.

#11 ·
I have an XPA-5 and have been thoroughly impressed with it. I took some innard shots:

#12 ·
I've been considering an XPA series amplifier for awhile, just sold off a Carver M1.5t as it was overkill for me and was still worth good money. Does anyone have any good links to lab tests of the XPA amplifiers? Mostly, I am curious about dynamic power output.

I am favoring a XPA-3 to pair with my Denon AVR-3808ci. I have JBL PS1400/PT800 stacks up front and PC600 center. 200 watts rms with good dynamic headroom is fine for them, but I can't seem to find that spec.

#13 ·
Oh man, those are some sweet pics.....The XPA=5 truly is a well-built machine!

#2,245 ·
The XPA=5 truly is a well-built machine!

I grabbed this quote from the first page of quotes on this thread. Based on reading alone, I would agree with BrolicBeast.

I am within a month of completing a refit of my audio system, and I am going to have a place for an additional amp. I keep reading the specs on the XPA-5; I admit I do not understand the numbers.

Number of channels: 5
Topology: fully discrete, highly optimized dual differential, high current, short signal path Class A/B with premium components throughout
Power output (all channels driven):
300 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.05% THD)Rated power bandwidth: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- .075 dB
Broadband Frequency response: 5 Hz to 100 kHz, +0 -2dB
Amplifier gain: 29 dB
Signal to Noise Ratio:
1 watt: > 95 dB
Full power: > 119 dBInput impedance:
unbalanced: 23.5 kohms
balanced: 33 kohmsPower supply: 1,200VA toroidal transformer with 60,000uF storage capacitance
Size:
unboxed: 17” wide x 7 3/4” high x 19” deep
boxed: 23 1/2" wide x 12" high x 24 3/4" deepWeight: 70.4 lbs (81.5 lbs boxed)

I get that it is a five channel amp. I don't know what fully discrete, highly optimized dual differential, high current, short signal path means.

I don't know what these numbers mean:

Rated power bandwidth: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- .075 dB
Broadband Frequency response: 5 Hz to 100 kHz, +0 -2dB
Amplifier gain: 29 dB
Signal to Noise Ratio:
1 watt: > 95 dB
Full power: > 119 dBInput impedance:
unbalanced: 23.5 kohms
balanced: 33 kohms

1,200VA toroidal transformer with 60,000uF storage capacitance

I know what a toroidal transformer is; I do not know what 60,000uF storage capacitance means.

Any thoughts?

#14 ·
couple of questions on the xpa-5.

i notice in the pics that it doesnt have any internal fans that i can see. why doesnt it get hot?

what is this amps class?

EDIT- from what information i could find its a class A/B

are the channels all independant? meaning can some be used balanced and some be used unbalanced?

EDIT- Note that each channel on the XPA‐5 has been switched to ‘Un‐Bal’ (for an RCA/Unbalanced connection) using the Balanced/Unbalanced Selectors. If the selector does not match the connection type, the amplifier channel in question does not pass the signal to the speakers, and that channel will remain silent.

are both the balanced and the rca connections hot all the time? or does each channel have a switch between the balanced and the unbalanced connections?

EDIT - Note that each channel on the XPA‐5 has been switched to ‘Un‐Bal’ (for an RCA/Unbalanced connection) using the Balanced/Unbalanced Selectors. If the selector does not match the connection type, the amplifier channel in question does not pass the signal to the speakers, and that channel will remain silent.

how much space is reccommended by Emotiva above this amp for heat dissipation?

EDIT- Place your X amplifier on a flat, level surface, with the weight distributed equally on all four feet. If using a cabinet or shelf, please make sure that there is sufficient ventilation and there is at least 6 inches of free air space above the amplifier and 3 inches on each side.

it looks like the amp boards could be easily replaced. are there any wires hard soldered onto the board? it looks like all the wires are on clips. this could make home repairs quite easy.

will Emotiva sell only the amp modules for self repairs?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast /forum/post/18354580

Oh man, those are some sweet pics.....The XPA=5 truly is a well-built machine!

How can you tell by looking at the pictures?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter /forum/post/18354600

couple of questions on the xpa-5.

i notice in the pics that it doesnt have any internal fans that i can see. why doesnt it get hot?

I have owned a number of multichannel amps and none have had any fans (thankfully
). Cooling is accomplished by the heat rising up through the top vents. From what I have read the Emotiva amps run fairly cool unless you place another component on top of them.

Bill

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/18355039

I have owned a number of multichannel amps and none have had any fans (thankfully
). Cooling is accomplished by the heat rising up through the top vents. From what I have read the Emotiva amps run fairly cool unless you place another component on top of them.

Bill

i wonder why it runs fairly cool. the heat sinks dont seem to be that large. although it could just be because of the way they look in the picture. but with them all covered up i just dont get it.

#19 ·
I recently got an XPA-5, too. And, I, too, have heard all manners of things I didn't before ... but it's not entirely obvious to what extent it's because I'm listening for details now.

Anyway, two scenes I and the family picked up on are

* early scene in Transformers 2 where the ice cream truck is looking for Decepticons: now, the spluttering and bad-engine noises seem almost exaggerated

* scene in one of High School Musicals, where Troy is on a golf course, singing "Bet on me" (I think): the kids immediately commented on the drums that open the song [anyone with advice on how to wean kids off of these? please!?]

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneV /forum/post/18356018

I recently got an XPA-5, too. And, I, too, have heard all manners of things I didn't before ... but it's not entirely obvious to what extent it's because I'm listening for details now.

Anyway, two scenes I and the family picked up on are

* early scene in Transformers 2 where the ice cream truck is looking for Decepticons: now, the spluttering and bad-engine noises seem almost exaggerated

* scene in one of High School Musicals, where Troy is on a golf course, singing "Bet on me" (I think): the kids immediately commented on the drums that open the song [anyone with advice on how to wean kids off of these? please!?]

The XPA-5 as many of us see it is a relatively neutral amp. What kind of speakers are you using with the xpa-5?

#21 ·
I bought an XPA-5 to complement a Denon 2807 reciever with my 4 Klipsch RF-82s, RC-64.

Klipsch are known to be very efficient speakers but the XPA-5s gave my speakers NEW LIFE. I saw much more detail and clarity. THEY ENJOY POWER and use it very well.

I have now replaced my denon 2807 with a onkyo 5507 and again my system has increased in SQ greatly. Now I have much better sound field and imaging with the prepro upgrade.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhobrin /forum/post/18356257

I bought an XPA-5 to complement a Denon 2807 reciever with my 4 Klipsch RF-82s, RC-64.

Klipsch are known to be very efficient speakers but the XPA-5s gave my speakers NEW LIFE. I saw much more detail and clarity. THEY ENJOY POWER and use it very well.

I have now replaced my denon 2807 with a onkyo 5507 and again my system has increased in SQ greatly. Now I have much better sound field and imaging with the prepro upgrade.

Nothing like a little placebo doing a great job

#23 ·
LOL, Penn! You gonna go and see Tiger play?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/18354645

How can you tell by looking at the pictures?

I can tell it is a well-built machine because I own the amp. I just happen to love those pictures as well.

#26 ·
Has anyone upgraded from Line-Level (Unbalanced) to XLR (Balanced) inputs? If so, how noticable is the difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.