Pioneer vsx-1020 and vsx-1120 - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 581 Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Maybe we should ask him what his desired level (db) at listener distance?
I came across this and at 95db required watts was 23. Any insight to this?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 581 Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
^^^

perhaps we should... he may be one of the few... but i'm thinking that if he was, he'd already understand the relationship between watts, spl and speaker sensitivity, and he wouldn't be asking the question... i could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time...

i doubt he'll be hitting 95db in his room very often, and certainly not sustained... anecdotal evidence suggests strongly against it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #363 of 581 Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 PM

Liked: 10
If I want to listen to 5.1 surround sound through my speakers, do I need to connect the TV to the receiver with an optical digital cable? Why? If I connect the cable box to the AVR with HDMI, then HDMI cable from AVR to TV, would I get audio to my speakers, but video to the TV? The manual says if I want to listen to TV over the receiver I have to connect the TV and AVR with audio cables. I'm confused. Help?
post #364 of 581 Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dah Mastah View Post

If I want to listen to 5.1 surround sound through my speakers, do I need to connect the TV to the receiver with an optical digital cable? Why? If I connect the cable box to the AVR with HDMI, then HDMI cable from AVR to TV, would I get audio to my speakers, but video to the TV? The manual says if I want to listen to TV over the receiver I have to connect the TV and AVR with audio cables. I'm confused. Help?

That's if you are using the internal tuner of the tv.
post #365 of 581 Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

perhaps we should... he may be one of the few... but i'm thinking that if he was, he'd already understand the relationship between watts, spl and speaker sensitivity, and he wouldn't be asking the question... i could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time...

i doubt he'll be hitting 95db in his room very often, and certainly not sustained... anecdotal evidence suggests strongly against it...

I don't know the actual dBSPL I typically listen. I would describe most of my TV viewing as medium volume. I like to crank it up a bit for some music or a movie that has special effects but not to the point of violating public nuisance laws, waking the kids or WAF.

At least part of the reason for my question was to see if there was anything that can be said of the difference in the amplifiers between the 1020 and the 1120 based on the information released so far. I am sure it will be many months before one of the audio magazines conducts bench tests on these two units. Even longer before the new Elites are run through the mill. In the mean time, I was wondering what the THX Select2 Plus certification could tell us. The THX web site doesn't make it easy but it does state the Select2 means it is certified to reproduce the original sound track at full movie theatre volume for a room of 2000 cu. ft. and viewing distance of 10-12 ft. The Plus seems to indicate it includes the Loudness Plus http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-tech...loudness-plus/ feature. Loudness Plus compensates for typical lower listening volume so that the listener can still perceive surround effects.

Am I correct that the THX certification implies the power supplies/amplifiers won't experience perceptible degradation up to very loud volumes? Can anyone characterize or quantify the 1020? At any rate, based on my room size and viewing distance, I feel pretty comfortable that the 1120 has plenty of power at virtually any volume level I will use. I guess I will wait another month or so but if the 1120 still isn't shipping by mid summer I will probably get the 1020.
post #366 of 581 Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM

I'm ready to upgrade from an Onkyo SR304 and a complex system of all manner of switches... I'm concerned about video upconversion, though. I've been planning on ordering a the 1120 once it becomes available, but my main display is 16:10. I use the same display and switch between PC, DVR, consoles, etc.. My 24" has the following AR options: 1:1, Aspect, and Fill. I can't stretch to 1920x1080, which leaves me out of luck for anamorphic 480p sources including many gaming consoles. Should the Marvell chip in the 1120 be able to stretch 480p sources to 1920x1080? Perhaps more important, will I be able to send 1920x1200 through it from my PC to my display? It says max supported is 1080p, but seeing as my current 2-year-old Monoprice HDMI switch has no problem switching between my sources (including PC) currently, I would think this wouldn't be a problem with the 1120. Then again, I haven't had an HDMI receiver yet.
post #367 of 581 Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 PM

I need to upgrade from my Elite VSX-26TX. (I think I got it in 1998, it replaced a year old previous model that got hit with voltage spike)

At the time I got it, the Elites had more features...the warranty didn't help much.

I need the HDMI inputs...but also need more Digital Optical audio inputs, and the 1020 has the same amount as my 26TX. HDMI will save one DO spot...a audio passthrough would save another?

I know that if you hook for example a BD player directly to a TV with passthrough, the audio will go to the receiver for decoding...and right now my TV does not pass audio.

But will one HDMI cable connected to the TV be able to send audio to the receiver when using the TV tuner, and also be able to send video to the TV when using some other video source?

On a different note, is the Onkyo upscaler better than the Pioneer one?
post #368 of 581 Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbecha View Post

I need to upgrade from my Elite VSX-26TX. (I think I got it in 1998, it replaced a year old previous model that got hit with voltage spike)

At the time I got it, the Elites had more features...the warranty didn't help much.

I need the HDMI inputs...but also need more Digital Optical audio inputs, and the 1020 has the same amount as my 26TX. HDMI will save one DO spot...a audio passthrough would save another?

I know that if you hook for example a BD player directly to a TV with passthrough, the audio will go to the receiver for decoding...and right now my TV does not pass audio.

But will one HDMI cable connected to the TV be able to send audio to the receiver when using the TV tuner, and also be able to send video to the TV when using some other video source?

On a different note, is the Onkyo upscaler better than the Pioneer one?

You're thinking about set up before HDMI. Everything goes to the amp first then out to the tv. The tv screws up the audio. The normal setup is the audio gets stripped from the hdmi signal at the receiver (that's what my Yamaha does, I have the Pioneer in the cart), but can be over ridden to send audio to the tv.

I wouldn't worry about upscaling anymore, who uses sd? You aren't going to get any better than what comes out of a bd player. If you have component, that will get converted over to hdmi, but if it's already hd I doubt the scaler will do anything.

To get digital audio from the tv tuner, you'll need to use optical or coax depending on what you have. Most receivers have the ability to overload an input. The 1020 has 4, how many do you need? Anything that is hooked up using hdmi will not need one.
post #369 of 581 Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Hello all,

I've been looking into a new AVR and really like the Pioneer 1020 and 1120. After scouring the forums, doing some Googling, and writing to Pioneer, I still don't have an answer to the following question:

My situation is this; I'm from the US but have moved to the Middle East. My TV is a Samsung from the US as well as an LG BluRay player from the US. However, my cable box is from here, of course, and outputs 1080i at 50Hz. I had to get a HDMI to HDMI scaler to convert to 1080p at 60Hz in order to display on my Samsung UN46B8000.

So, bottom line, my question is can anyone say for certain whether either the 1020 or 1120 accept an HDMI input at 50Hz refresh rate and convert it to 60Hz?

I would really like to do away with the scaler.

Thanks.
post #370 of 581 Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

I am in need of an new receiver as I seem to have long since run out of HDMI ports on my Onkyo TX-SR605. I am impressed by the feature set of the VSX-1020-K and also ready to try a new brand as there have been nothing but problems with model after model from Onkyo recently.
I have to admit- I'm a video guy, not an audio guy. I have some appreciation for the finer things in audio and I can pick out the difference between, for instance, a DD5.1 and a TrueHD track, but my knowledge of audio pales in comparison to my knowledge of video. So I was hoping for some expert assistance. :-)
What I need to know is this- Will the VSX-1020-K be able to put out the same or similar volume level in my 12'x16'x10' theater room as the Onkyo TX-SX605 without thinning out? I do push the Onkyo a bit sometimes- especially on lossless tracks as they tend to be quieter- and usually operate in the 65 to 70 volume range on the Onkyo (I believe that Pioneer uses an entirely different scale.)
If it can, then I may be sold, but I am concerned as I've heard so much about how much more the new Onkyo's amps draw than the Pioneer and don't know that they've increased that much since my 605. I sometimes feel that my 605 is under-powered and don't want to get stuck with a Turker.
I appreciate any input.
Thanks!
post #371 of 581 Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Does anyone know what speed HDMI 1.4 chip is in the 1020 or 1120? It is my understanding that there are currently 2 types of HDMI 1.4 chip speeds 225 MHz and 300 MHz. The 300 MHz is necessary for the bandwidth of some 3d features but has not been installed any AVR yet released.
post #372 of 581 Old 06-18-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

link?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #373 of 581 Old 06-18-2010, 07:40 AM

post #374 of 581 Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

"optional" features... that "optional" feature being 1080p60, which you aren't going to see for a LONG time...

the "slower" chip will pass all the mandatory formats...

i wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

- chris

post #375 of 581 Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Any word yet if the 1120 will have HDMI pass-through?
post #376 of 581 Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am in the market for a new receiver that can power 6 ohm speakers. I downloaded the manual for the 1020 and it says it can power 6 ohm speakers but a setting must be changed. The manual does not go in any detail on what setting to change.

Does anyone have any information on 6 ohm speakers with either the vsx-1020 or vsx-1120?

Thanks for any info
post #377 of 581 Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

To get digital audio from the tv tuner, you'll need to use optical or coax depending on what you have. Most receivers have the ability to overload an input. The 1020 has 4, how many do you need? Anything that is hooked up using hdmi will not need one.

I was wondering if the TV could send audio back over the HDMI cable...wishful thinking.

Now that I think about it...my BD player is using Optical to the Receiver...if I get a new receiver with HDMI inputs...that will free up an Optical input.

I thought for a moment this week that I would be immediately replacing my receiver...after a power surge it wouldn't turn on...but I unplugged it for a few seconds and after I plugged it back in, it started working just fine...darn...
post #378 of 581 Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbecha View Post

I was wondering if the TV could send audio back over the HDMI cable...wishful thinking.

Now that I think about it...my BD player is using Optical to the Receiver...if I get a new receiver with HDMI inputs...that will free up an Optical input.

I thought for a moment this week that I would be immediately replacing my receiver...after a power surge it wouldn't turn on...but I unplugged it for a few seconds and after I plugged it back in, it started working just fine...darn...

If your display is capable of it HMDI 1.4 specifies the audio return channel which is exactly what you are looking for, a way for the display to return it's current audio track back to the receiver.
post #379 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If anyone wants the 1120 manual just grab the Elite VSX-32 manual, same except for the trigger as far as I can tell.

Elite VSX-32 Manual

Elite VSX-32

VSX-1120

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #380 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreaminhd View Post

I am in the market for a new receiver that can power 6 ohm speakers. I downloaded the manual for the 1020 and it says it can power 6 ohm speakers but a setting must be changed. The manual does not go in any detail on what setting to change.

Does anyone have any information on 6 ohm speakers with either the vsx-1020 or vsx-1120?

Thanks for any info

Per the VSX-32 / VSX-1120 manual Chapter 4 - basic setup:

1 Switch the receiver into standby.
2 While holding down ENTER on the front panel,
press STANDBY/ON.

The display shows RESET.

Use TUNE up/down (remote control works too) to select
SPEAKER, then use PRESET left/right (remote control works too) to select SPEAKER 8 ohms or SPEAKER 6 ohms.

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #381 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreaminhd View Post

My center, side surrounds, and back surrounds are all 6 ohm speakers: Axiom VP150 and QS8. I did not change my 1020's setting of 8 ohms, and I don't notice any problems. The AVR is barely warm to the touch, and I get plenty of sound with volume set to -30 to -20db. I've never turned it up past -15db.

Since an AVR's 6 ohm setting limits the power available to drive the speakers, the usual recommendation from users, for other receivers, is to not use it.

Greg Lee
post #382 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

If anyone wants the 1120 manual just grab the Elite VSX-32 manual, same except for the trigger as far as I can tell.

Comparing the short descriptions VSX-1120 and VSX-32, I see that the 1120 supports HDMI 1.4 while the 32 supports HDMI 1.4a. HDMI 1.4a includes the side-by-side 3D format used by DirecTV. (I'm not saying the 1120 does not also support HDMI 1.4a -- I'm just pointing out this difference in the descriptions.)

Greg Lee
post #383 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afidel View Post

If your display is capable of it HMDI 1.4 specifies the audio return channel which is exactly what you are looking for, a way for the display to return it's current audio track back to the receiver.

audio return channel is an "optional", not "required" part of the spec...

- chris

post #384 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Comparing the short descriptions VSX-1120 and VSX-32, I see that the 1120 supports HDMI 1.4 while the 32 supports HDMI 1.4a. HDMI 1.4a includes the side-by-side 3D format used by DirecTV. (I'm not saying the 1120 does not also support HDMI 1.4a -- I'm just pointing out this difference in the descriptions.)

The 1120 supports HDMI V1.4a per its description page:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...SX-1120-K.Kuro
post #385 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 AM

I've said it before:

I find it discouraging that this, the pioneer 1120, probably the best receiver NOT on the market (price wise for "future proof" capabilities), has yet to be released. I have been frothing over the specs (on Amazon) for months now and need something to push my lovely Monitor Audio RS6s!

Questions:
Is this the right receiver to match my speakers?
Does anyone have a clue as to when the 1120 will be released?
And where do these rumors stem concerning possible delays?

Is it possible to bi-amp fronts and rears with the 1120?
post #386 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

- dunno. it hasn't been released yet.
- nope.
- rumors come from many places.

VERY unlikely... but then again, passive bi-amping borders on worthless anyway...

i'm a pioneer fanboy. but there's plenty of other avr's that will drive your speakers...

- chris

post #387 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

- dunno. it hasn't been released yet.
- nope.
- rumors come from many places.

VERY unlikely... but then again, passive bi-amping borders on worthless anyway...

i'm a pioneer fanboy. but there's plenty of other avr's that will drive your speakers...

Thanks for the feedback. But why is bi-amping borderline worthless? Should I not waste my 12 gauge on bi-amping my fronts?
post #388 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussell05 View Post

Hello all,

I've been looking into a new AVR and really like the Pioneer 1020 and 1120. After scouring the forums, doing some Googling, and writing to Pioneer, I still don't have an answer to the following question:

My situation is this; I'm from the US but have moved to the Middle East. My TV is a Samsung from the US as well as an LG BluRay player from the US. However, my cable box is from here, of course, and outputs 1080i at 50Hz. I had to get a HDMI to HDMI scaler to convert to 1080p at 60Hz in order to display on my Samsung UN46B8000.

So, bottom line, my question is can anyone say for certain whether either the 1020 or 1120 accept an HDMI input at 50Hz refresh rate and convert it to 60Hz?

I would really like to do away with the scaler.

Thanks.

I have connected mine with a PAL DVD player and the unit upconverts PAL DVD through component to full HDMI 1080p.
But I do not know if the output 1080 signal is at 50Hz or it is converted to 60Hz; my TV is Philips and accepts both.
post #389 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@sonic...

- the passive bi-amping horse has not only been beaten to death, but there is no longer any flesh left on it because the vultures have picked it clean... search for "passive bi-amping" on this forum and you will get more than you would ever want... hint: it doesn't give your speakers any more power...

- unless you have a MUCH MUCH longer run to your front speakers than the rest of us have (i.e. your equipment is in a closet somewhere and not near your speakers), you are "wasting" 12 gauge anyway... click for possibly useful information

- chris

post #390 of 581 Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks tomanystraydogs and greglee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page