post #541 of 581 Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

two separate amps in and of itself does not allow you to actively bi-amp...

Agreed. You should also disconnect the passive crossovers in the speaker cabinet and add active crossovers before each amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 581 Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Agreed. You should also disconnect the passive crossovers in the speaker cabinet and add active crossovers before each amp.

Exactly! But, that is certainly NOT what Polk told him to do. They lied by telling him that passive bi-amping would double the power to the speaker...
post #543 of 581 Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
A misinformed CSR does not mean a lie. Either way, we are in agreement that they were wrong.
post #544 of 581 Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 AM

Liked: 10
Anybody care to weigh in on the recent string of bad 1020's that seem to be going out through amazon.com? Seems like the last 15 - 20 reviews are all negative saying they received multiple dead or partly defective units. Is this an amazon source problem or are these having issues all over?

I've been in the market for a new unit for a year or so now. Still using an old Sony amp from around 2001 with only one digital coax and one optical!!!

I was first considering a denon 1910 but came across these Pioneers and really started to like the features they offer. Just a little concerned about the QC issues they seem to be having. Anyone have anything they'd like to share?

Thanks,
Steve
post #545 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 AM

I am new to this forum, but have a question on the vsx 1120-k. Is there a list to the components that are HDMI CEC and Control compatible for this unit? The reason for my question is that I have a 720p phillips tv and a panasonic dmp bd35 bluray that I have been trying to pass through while in standby and have not been able to do it no matter what I do. For me is important to be able to pass through in standby for late night watching and I was able to do this with the RX -467 from Yamaha. Now I love this unit and have been trying to ignore the problem, but I can't. So I want to send it back if this is an issue that can not be resolve.

Any input will be greatly appreciated
post #546 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 AM

The VSX1120 doesn't support HDMI passthrough while on standby. It is a matter of Energy Star Certification....

Maybe next year models

Frederic Bourgeois, CTS
Senior Sales Representative
Southern Quebec, Greater Montreal and Ottawa
Pioneer Electronics of Canada
post #547 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #548 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 AM

In the users guide it said it does on page 53
post #549 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM

You can use the audio parameter button on the remote to route HDMI audio to TV instead of the receiver

Frederic Bourgeois, CTS
Senior Sales Representative
Southern Quebec, Greater Montreal and Ottawa
Pioneer Electronics of Canada
post #550 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM

But not in standby correct? I do appreciate your input sir and I am not doubting what your explaining, but the IB is kind of confusing. What I understand is that unless your bluray or tv are compatible with the control on feature your system is not compatible and therefore you are not able to pass through in standby.
post #551 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Audioman
The VSX1120 doesn't support HDMI passthrough while on standby. It is a matter of Energy Star Certification....

Maybe next year models
Wrong.

It absolutely supports it; however, in practice, success in doing so has been completely hit or miss. Pioneer, of course, blames the issue on the supposedly flawed implantation of the hdmi cec "standard" on other manufacturers' equipment...
post #552 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 PM

well as much as I love this unit it will be return tomorrow and I will wait for the TX-NR609. Sorry, but if you don't summit facts in your user guide is difficult to believe the rest . Up converter by Qdeo was great.

Sorry no this time pioneer
post #553 of 581 Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 PM

well as much as I love this unit it will be return tomorrow and I will wait for the TX-NR609. Sorry, but if you don't summit facts in your user guide is difficult to believe the rest . Up converter by Qdeo was great.

I'm sorry I just notice this post is repeated. Can the moderator please remove the repeated post?

Thanks in advance
post #554 of 581 Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverajuan View Post

Which fact in the manual are you disputing?
post #555 of 581 Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 AM

HDMI Standby Pass Through. They specify that it does pass signals while on standby on page 53 of the user guide.
post #556 of 581 Old 02-18-2011, 06:27 AM

How do i remove UP MIX from my receivers display, What is is?
post #557 of 581 Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

no, when taken in context (passive bi-amping), my post is correct...

"active" bi-amping, i.e. line level from the source, through an active xover, through separate amps, to the speakers with the crossovers completely removed from the speakers (not just the terminal jumpers), has potential usefulness in the right hands...

"passive" bi-amping has no value...

I agree with this 90%. I would hope MCACC or Audassey would do this for you. Most of what you state is in play with any receiver that can do bi-amping. The only issue is if they can eq the bi-channels individually.

You don't have to remove the xovers. They will just waste power but not affecting sound quality much.

also, if you want more treble, with bi-amping you wont have to adjust the equalizer, just the output level. But again, this is just efficiency.

Signature.
post #558 of 581 Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post

I'm planning a receiver update. Right now I have an Onkyo TX-SR701 and I'm considering the Onkyo TX-NR808 or the Pioneer VSX-1120K. The deal for the Pioneer seems great but I'm undecided because of the power raitings. Could you guys advice me about the power raitings of both receivers. My speakers are a set of and old Definitive Technology ProCinema 80 paired with an Earthquake Sub. Thanks in advance.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I have come to these conclusions

1120K/VSX32
+2Y on VSX32
+Toslink output

NR708
+2Y warranty
+Sub EQ (Audessey I believe)
+User Firmware Updateable
+DLNA
-(I don't like the Svideo inputs)

That toslink actually has me wanting the Pioneer because I plan on doing some recording of old analog media. I don't want to set my computer next to my entertainment center. With toslink I can run a long optical cable across the room during recording. Even the higher Onkyo's don't have it.

Stuck.

Signature.
post #559 of 581 Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverajuan View Post

HDMI Standby Pass Through. They specify that it does pass signals while on standby on page 53 of the user guide.

It does pass signals while in standby -- in fact, it works quite well in my setup.

Perhaps you missed the (Pioneer's) explanation in my previous post...?
post #560 of 581 Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyeB View Post

I agree with this 90%. I would hope MCACC or Audassey would do this for you. Most of what you state is in play with any receiver that can do bi-amping. The only issue is if they can eq the bi-channels individually.

You don't have to remove the xovers. They will just waste power but not affecting sound quality much.

also, if you want more treble, with bi-amping you wont have to adjust the equalizer, just the output level. But again, this is just efficiency.

no. NONE of what i state is "in play" with ANY avr... NONE... it is not possible to actively bi-amp directly with ANY consumer avr...

neither audyssey nor mcacc (nor any other autocal routine, ftm) will emulate an active crossover for your main speakers...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #561 of 581 Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Hit or Miss is an unstable way of claiming that the system works in the user guide. I think it either HDMI Standby Pass Through works or it doesn't. I don't want a receiver that I have to fish for features.
post #562 of 581 Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 AM

After so much fighting back and forth between the vsx 1120-k and tx-nr609 I decided to research this forum for Onkyo receivers and decided to go with the tx-nr708. I hope I made the right decision which I believe I did, but wanted to now what do you guys think?

All comments or advise will be greatly appreciated
post #563 of 581 Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 AM

I have the vsx-1020 working with a klipsch 5.1 speaker set w/subwoofer. I am currently feeding most of my music content from my office computer to my vsx1020 via HDMI. I occasionally hook an ipod to the vsx-1020 to listen to music.

What I'd like to do is install a pair of bookshelf stereo speakers in my kitchen, connected to the vsx-1020, and listen to music via the bookshelf speakers when I'm in the kitchen instead of the living room where the 5.1 speakers are. And in the rare occasion when someone may be watching sports via 5.1, people in the kitchen may listen to some music. But most of the time I imagine the 5.1 speakers would be off when the bookshelf speakers are on and vice versa.

Where do I connect the bookshelf speakers on the vsx-1020? The instructions don't seem to be super-clear, but I've never really worked with a second zone. Also, will the hdmi input from my computer feed the bookshelf speakers like it is feeding the 5.1 speakers? I've heard the second zone is not digital. If HDMI doesn't feed them, then what should I do? Thanks so much for any advice!
post #564 of 581 Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 AM

I just received my Pioneer vsx-1120 yesterday but the remote was DOA. I managed to program my Harmony One with the commands from Logitech software but I need the original remote for at least the first months of use.
post #565 of 581 Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

nah, you don't... everything you can do from the oem remote, you can do from the harmony... the harmony is actually MORE flexible...

- chris

post #566 of 581 Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM

I have my LG LCD TV hooked up to 1020 receiver by HDMI cable. I have my cable box attached to receiver by HDMI. How do I get volume and other information showing on TV screen?
post #567 of 581 Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Ok, I'm doing something wrong

i finally got surrounds and a sub setup, but for whatever reason I can only seem to get audio out of my right speaker and sub - if I go to ext stereo the right surround also works.

But for whatever reason I cannot seem to get the left speakers or center to work. If I do stereo I get no sound out of the left side front?

I have hte 1120k, monitor 70 fronts, a CS2 center, Infinity Primus 152 surrounds, and a VTF-2 MK3 sub.

Thanks guys, I am kinda frustrated, I cannot even get back the stereo I had previously?

edit - all the levels in the MCACC are comparable, and it definitely outputs sound to those sources during it, so I'm not sure what's going on

edit2 - after spending probably 45 min prior to posting this, I realized, "if only one side is playing... what does that mean about the input?" and so naturally, it was the RCA cable for the left side being only half in. Ahhhhhhh!!! At least I got familiar with nearly every single setting configuration on the stupid speakers
post #568 of 581 Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Sorry for second posting, but I'm not sure how this forum works as there are multiple threads going on.

I have the vsx-1020 working with a klipsch 5.1 speaker set w/subwoofer. I am currently feeding most of my music content from my office computer to my vsx1020 via HDMI. I occasionally hook an ipod to the vsx-1020 to listen to music.

What I'd like to do is install a pair of bookshelf stereo speakers in my kitchen, connected to the vsx-1020, and listen to music via the bookshelf speakers when I'm in the kitchen instead of the living room where the 5.1 speakers are. And in the rare occasion when someone may be watching sports via 5.1, people in the kitchen may listen to some music. But most of the time I imagine the 5.1 speakers would be off when the bookshelf speakers are on and vice versa.

Where do I connect the bookshelf speakers on the vsx-1020? The instructions don't seem to be super-clear, but I've never really worked with a second zone. Also, will the hdmi input from my computer feed the bookshelf speakers like it is feeding the 5.1 speakers? I've heard the second zone is not digital. If HDMI doesn't feed them, then what should I do? Thanks so much for any advice!
post #569 of 581 Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon29RW View Post

Anybody care to weigh in on the recent string of bad 1020's that seem to be going out through amazon.com? Seems like the last 15 - 20 reviews are all negative saying they received multiple dead or partly defective units. Is this an amazon source problem or are these having issues all over?

I've been in the market for a new unit for a year or so now. Still using an old Sony amp from around 2001 with only one digital coax and one optical!!!

I was first considering a denon 1910 but came across these Pioneers and really started to like the features they offer. Just a little concerned about the QC issues they seem to be having. Anyone have anything they'd like to share?

Thanks,
Steve

has anyone answered this question? also looking to buy a 1020 from amazon but thats kind of a lot of bad reviews stating the same problem...

edit: sorry saw that theres an official thread for this receiver, ill post it in there
post #570 of 581 Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post

Exactly! But, that is certainly NOT what Polk told him to do. They lied by telling him that passive bi-amping would double the power to the speaker...

I'm doing this. It doubles the power to the speakers. Handy when you have 200w speakers and a 100w amp.

In case I'm not clear. I tested this with my AVR. My speakers are significantly louder with bi-amping. I can only guess why someone would say it does nothing!?

Signature.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page