Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 261 Old 05-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muinchja View Post

I've heard that the 608 does not have A/B speaker switching. I see it has zone 2, but I was under the impression that zone 2 imputs had to be analog. Could anyone clear this up for me? The Onkyo seems perfect for me in almost every way, but no A/B switching or equivalent would be a deal breaker. Thanks

What do you use the A/B switching for?? Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 261 Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 PM

Liked: 14
I appreciates Winston's effort also, thanks Winston!
post #183 of 261 Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Cheap shot, ccotenj! Winston wrote the reviews in layman rather than geek terms and described the effect THX processing had for the listener which is far more useful to me than the technical description of how it does it.
Thanks, Winston!

+1 ditto
post #184 of 261 Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

thx re-eq rolls of the highs, yes...

you probably should know these things if you are attempting to write quantitative reviews of equipment...

ouch...better that i couch what i believe to be true as belief and not fact. i am simply being candid and not pedantic about knowledge base...we'd probably all benefit from a little humillity here and there

PS do you mean role or roll? we ain't talking sister schuberts here!
post #185 of 261 Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsley View Post

Bare with me, I'm a newbie here. My big concern is how DVD's sound. In your research did you find the bass overbearing or overwhelming while playing a DVD and none ajustable?

not overwhelming, but everything is a little dim if you will. i have found this to be true on my pioneer elite vsx-21txh in thx cinema mode as well...far from an onkyo-specific deal. and you can always choose another listening mode...
post #186 of 261 Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Cheap shot, ccotenj! Winston wrote the reviews in layman rather than geek terms and described the effect THX processing had for the listener which is far more useful to me than the technical description of how it does it.
Thanks, Winston!

+1

I appreciate Winston's work a lot - he helped me make my BR decision a couple months ago. I love having someone like Winston who takes the time and effort to get these units under one roof and make real hands-on comparisons.

Keep it up and thanks.

creative>energy

post #187 of 261 Old 05-22-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

ouch...better that i couch what i believe to be true as belief and not fact. i am simply being candid and not pedantic about knowledge base...we'd probably all benefit from a little humillity here and there

PS do you mean role or roll? we ain't talking sister schuberts here!

i meant roll...

i apologize, my comment was a bit harsh...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #188 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post

Can someone who owns the 1020 answer definitively about whether the video/audio passes through HDMI when the unit is off/standby? I know that the 608 does this because it is one of the marketed features. This is important to me because my wife doesn't want to have to bother turning on the stereo to watch/listen to TV, but I also don't want to have to run 2 connections from everything (one to the receiver, one to the TV).

I'm torn between the two, but I really can't consider the 1020 if it doesn't have this feature.

Where did you see this feature listed for the 608? I've just read everything I can find on the 608 on the Onkyo web site, and I didn't see this capability listed there.(Maybe I don't know what they call it)

I actually would like to know if the 508 has this feature. This would be a deciding feature for me.

post #189 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

have noticed a worrying trend on my 608:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18676886

it's now causing issues on 1080p 24fps signals
post #190 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

it wouldn't be the first time that onkyo has hosed up the video processing part of the equation....

one of the big reasons why many of us like the fact that pio doesn't perform video processing of hdmi inputs is that they can't screw it up if they don't touch it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #191 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

it wouldn't be the first time that onkyo has hosed up the video processing part of the equation....

one of the big reasons why many of us like the fact that pio doesn't perform video processing of hdmi inputs is that they can't screw it up if they don't touch it...

I know historically (the 905 and 857) some onkyos had misimplentation of video processing causing the colorspace to be incorrect. something is afoot here...just trying to see if it's just mine or all 608s.
post #192 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yea, and there were a few other that clipped wtw and btb as well...

be interesting to see what you ferret out...

- chris

post #193 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

Does this issue exist if I just want to pass 1080p HDMI from a BD player through the receiver to a HDTV? I would just set HDMI in the Onkyo to "through", right?

As this receiver is going to be for my parents, who live 200 miles away and don't know anything about electronics, I need a receiver with no hiccups.

post #194 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

i have no idea... i don't own one...

if you need a receiver with no hiccups, if i was you, i wouldn't buy something that's newly introduced until people have had a chance to have them in their homes and pick them apart...

if you have to have it now, your best bet would be to pick up something maybe a year or two old that is "proven" to work...

- chris

post #195 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Does this issue exist if I just want to pass 1080p HDMI from a BD player through the receiver to a HDTV? I would just set HDMI in the Onkyo to "through", right?

As this receiver is going to be for my parents, who live 200 miles away and don't know anything about electronics, I need a receiver with no hiccups.

in my testing it impacts 1080p and 1080i sources. i posted in the owners thread to confirm whether it's limited to mine or all
post #196 of 261 Old 05-23-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

in my testing it impacts 1080p and 1080i sources. i posted in the owners thread to confirm whether it's limited to mine or all

Thanks, I had just about decided on the Onkyo 508 or 608 for them, mainly because I hear that the signal from a cable box would pass to the TV even if the receiver is turned off. Now, I'd like to find out more about the nature of this issue, because in addition to watching HD from Comcast cable, they are also getting a BD player.

post #197 of 261 Old 05-24-2010, 01:11 PM

I was previously using a Denon avr-4800 and switched to the Pioneer 1020. I run all my equipment through a device that lets me monitor power draw and at low volume levels the Pioneer draws much less power.
post #198 of 261 Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post

I was previously using a Denon avr-4800 and switched to the Pioneer 1020. I run all my equipment through a device that lets me monitor power draw and at low volume levels the Pioneer draws much less power.

just out of curiosity, what does it draw when loud (ie higher than -10db)?
post #199 of 261 Old 05-26-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked out the 608 at Fry's today, and was very impressed at how cool to the touch it was. The 508 was significantly hotter, and based on this, I just ordered a 608 for the folks. I think it will be able to survive in their cabinet with the fan keeping it cool. It also helped in the decision that it now appears that any messing with the HDMI signal that may occur with default settings can be turned off, and I'm not sure they would be notice any issues with the picture .

post #200 of 261 Old 05-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Here is my dilemma: I have the 608 on it's way from abt. With the fan and video processing issues I have see on this forum do I just send it back and go with the 1020 or take a chance hoping I get a good one without any problems? I'm going to assume that most of you that have this unit are not having any problems? Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks
post #201 of 261 Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Here is my dilemma: I have the 608 on it's way from abt. With the fan and video processing issues I have see on this forum do I just send it back and go with the 1020 or take a chance hoping I get a good one without any problems? I'm going to assume that most of you that have this unit are not having any problems? Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks

Remember, there is a boatload of people with good units NOT on avs. What do you have to lose?
post #202 of 261 Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No right answer. Both are very good options. In the end, I opted for the Pioneer 1020 and it has done nothing but grow on me.
post #203 of 261 Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I opted for the Pioneer 1020 and it has done nothing but grow on me.

I agree. Some people have complained about the 608's problems but there are only two "issues" with the vsx1020 that I know of -

No digital source to Zone 2 (same work around exists that has been used on all other AVRs)
Volume level has to be at -15 to -20 for adequate volume levels (if the sound isnt distorted what does the number on the display matter?)

My only complaint about the VSX1020 so far is that the little door that covers HDMI5 and USB plug isnt attached and could be easily lost.
post #204 of 261 Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post

I agree. Some people have complained about the 608's problems but there are only two "issues" with the vsx1020 that I know of -

No digital source to Zone 2 (same work around exists that has been used on all other AVRs)

What AVR's out there DO allow for digital in for zone two? All the ones I have been looking at (1020/1120 don't) I don't mind running a couple of analog cables but if I can truly go to a one cable solution that would be awesome
post #205 of 261 Old 05-31-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:

you'd have to ask her, but it's a balance of how easily she can operate zone 2, switch inputs, operate remote, and god forbid access the setup menu. i asked her to tell me which one she preferred.

Hi Winston ,

I like your comparison table for AV receivers: receiver feature and spec comparison: http://winstonsreviews.com/?page_id=327

It would be great if you can add few important columns:

* Assignable audio yes/no
* HDMI standby Passthrough yes/no
* digital inputs opt/coax
* iPhone ready yes/no
post #206 of 261 Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marax View Post

Hi Winston ,

I like your comparison table for AV receivers: receiver feature and spec comparison: http://winstonsreviews.com/?page_id=327

It would be great if you can add few important columns:

* Assignable audio yes/no
* HDMI standby Passthrough yes/no
* digital inputs opt/coax
* iPhone ready yes/no

Yes, Winston did a great job. I can add a few bits.

- both have assignable audio, but Pioneer won't allow HDMI reassignments if HDMI-CEC is enabled. So for example, if you have something hooked up to Pioneer over DVI-to-HDMI, and need to use optical/coax for audio, you have to lose HDMI-CEC. Depending on who you ask, this is either a problem, or not - HDMI-CEC tends to "get in the way" and do something opposite of what you actually want, so a lot of people disable it. One thing it is good for is showing volume level on TV screen (Onkyo can also do that with overlay OSD, if Winston did not convince you to disable that). Bottom line, Onkyo is more flexible in this department.

- both have HDMI standby/passthrough, but Onkyo's idea of passthrough is "still convert color space", as Winston has pointed out. You can disable that at the cost of losing OSD and all upscaling. But i do not really see color banding or loss of details described by Winston and some others when this is enabled. Maybe it has to do with the TV being used. Mine is Samsung PN58C7000.

- onkyo has HDMI ARC, pioneer does not (not in 1020), but this is really a minor thing. All it gives you is one saved optical cable.

- Pioneer supports iPhone/iPod directly, with included cable. Onkyo has a dock (extra $100), but it does not allow control over iPhone (you won't get UI on TV to navigate iPhone). The manual claims that works, but I suspect that only applies to iPad, not iPhone. It is "iPad certified" and "iPhone compatible" or something like that. It definitely does not work with iPhone 3GS. You get blank blue screen. Music playback and charging do work. Pioneer definitely wins here. And for extra $100 I would rather buy a Bluetooth adapter for Pioneer anyway.

- pioneer has learning remote, onkyo is preset. Onkyo's remote is not bad - it can control BD/TV/Sat, but not to the extent where you don't need native remotes.

Overall I tend to prefer Pioneer. It has a bit less power, but it's more modern/advanced design and more practical one for most rooms/people. For 20% loss of power, you get much cooler fanless receiver, that eats half the elecricity, supports iPhone better and without spending extra $, does better job of upscaling analog inputs, and has USB/Ethernet.
post #207 of 261 Old 06-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Ok so I am torn between these two receivers. I really like both and can't decide. Now I am not a home theater nut but I love having my surround sound system and am looking to upgrade my 7 year old receiver. I was set on the Onkyo but after doing some research I can't decide.

The price is really not a factor for me but I do like the Iphone feature on the 1020 as well as the being able to plug in an Mp3 player. Honestly though I don't think I'd use the Iphone feature that much but to show off the friends and when I first set it up but it is still really cool. I also wonder which one would do a better job at upscaling my Wii. Can anyone help me decide this is frustrating and I need to make a decision soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #208 of 261 Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 PM

I'm also looking at both of these receivers. Right now, the VSX-1020-K can be had for just $450 and the TX-SR608 for $420. I am leaning toward the Onkyo but I want to be certain that the VCR/Return trick allows completely unmodified HDMI pass-through. Beloew are the factors I am considering:

Positives for the VSX-1020-K:
  • No fan
  • Anchor Bay upscaling
  • Computer / iPod / Keyboard controls

Negatives for the VSX-1020-K:
  • Lack of flexibility in port assignments
  • Lack of discrete remote codes for inputs and power

Positives for the TX-SR608:
  • Sound / THX2 rating
  • Flexible port assigments
  • Discrete codes
  • Harmony remote compatibility
  • Familiarity (upgrading from TX-SR605)

Negatives for the TX-SR608:
  • Fan
  • Colorspace issues
  • Reports of stuttering in blu-ray playback

My current configuration consists of:
  • Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Samsung LNT-4681f
  • Oppo BD-83 blu-ray
  • Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD (Time Warner)
  • Custom built HTPC
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Toshiba HD-XA2 (currently not connected)
  • Harmony Universal Remote

Everything except the Wii (component) is connected via HDMI. The Oppo has top notch Anchor Bay upscaling and the HTPC outputs 1080p. The Toshiba would be used for HD DVDs only. I wouldn't mind upscaling for the cable box (usually 720p or 1080i) and the Wii, but I can live without it. Since I have the HTPC setup to handle music, Netflix and DVR functions, I don't really need the network or USB connectivity of the Pioneer. I've been very happy with the Onkyo TX-SR605 -- at least since I updated the firmware to fix the DTS bug -- and am only upgrading to get the additional HDMI ports. I can absolutely do without 3D and I would only need the OSD functions during setup. I really DO NOT like the HDMI input toggle on the Pioneer; a discrete source button is essential.

So in the end, it is really down to whether or not I can pass through 100% unmodified HDMi signals. my current TV does not support 24p, but I will likely upgrade before too long. When I do, I want to be sure the 608 can handle it.
post #209 of 261 Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM

Pioneer is compatible with Harmony remote too. And if you use Harmony, you can actually select HDMI inputs directly - the receiver itself is capable of it, they just have a weird remote.

I was wrong about Onkyo not supporting iPhone UI/navigation with a dock. It does, that just is not the default mode, unlike Pioneer. You have to read the manual carefully to notice that feature and switch.

Onkyo will pass HDMI unmolested with the trick, but if you want to do that, and don't care about 3D, it's not clear why you're considering 608 in the first place. There are cheaper and even better receivers that lack 3D, OSD and video upconversion. Any last year's model will suit your needs for half the price.
post #210 of 261 Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello Guys.

That's my first post here, just wanted to say thank you very much.
Just Got Onkyo TX-SR608 from ABT for 389$ with free shipping, from the Live chat service.

I heard about this deal here, got it and it just make my day.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page