Which AVR with just TWO speakers? And which speakers?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I'm a new entry and I'm pretty inexperienced about HT. I hope you can help me to find a good amplifier AV and some really good speakers.
Please, forgive me about my English, but I'm Italian and I'll try to make myself clear as much I can.

The issue:

I need to start building my HT system with a nice AVR ampli and really good quality small front speakers. I currently live in a small 1 bedroom but next year I'm gonna move in a larger house, so with more space available I'll be able to add center speakers, sub, and surround (maybe the surround speakers will be the speakers I'll buy now..); but for one year the ampli has to work with just the front speakers. Basically I'd like to buy something good for a future upgrade.

My requirements:

1) All the components should be "music friendly" because I like to listen to a lot of music and just some movies. I mean I'm not interested in something that shakes my windows and produces a loud and "powerful" noise; I don't give a damn about the explosions and shooting scenes in a movie, but I want to listen to my John Coltrane records in a perfect way!! I had an Onkyo years ago and it was fabulous with my popcorn movies but I couldn't listen to jazz for more than 20 minutes wit it!
Please, don't tell me that I should buy a 2 channel stereo ampli just for music, I know it, but I'll never have the space for two different system, one for music and one for movies, and my wife and me have fun watching some movies in the evening, but my focus is the music listening.

2) The speakers should be a small bookshelf size, good enough for my actual small room, and good enough to eventually become the surround/back speakers in the future system. I though to Klipsch (I got a good deal on the RF-52 but their sound is a little harsh), KEF iQ10, B&W 686/CM1, Paradigm Atom Monitor, Monitor Audio RX1/BR1, but I'm open to other suggestions on the same quality level..

2) I want the AVR with the full iPhone control (iPhone, no Ipod) on the TV screen; this is a must! I need it cuz I'd like to have something which allows me to control the iPhone in a easy, visible and full way on the TV screen. My music is all on mp3 and flac, just some cd's, and I don't want to be forced to go close to the small avr/iPhone display to read my folders and playlists, I want them big on my tv screen. Is it demand too much?
(I thought to some Pioneer models which don't even need the optional dock station to control the iPhone, there are two, the VSX-21TXH and the new VSX 10-20 with similar price, but I'd really like to listen to your opinions about that cuz I'm not convinced about the Pio...)

My info:

1) Use: 70% music (mp3, flac, some cd's), 30% movies/TV.

2) Rectangular room, medium/large dimension, with the TV and speakers in the top corner (I apologize, I it's a really bad position but I cannot change the furnishing lay out... not now at least.

3) Budget max around $1000

4) I'm Italian but I live in CA, so I buy in the US market.

I look forward for your advise and your help.
Thanks a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Pioneer Elites 21/23. H/K 1600/2600. You can look at these. Also the new Pioneer 1020 seems to be able to do that also. Speakers, have a look at the Paradigm Mini-Monitors instead of the Atom Monitors. Or maybe their new Special Edition speakers. These are a new model that falls between the Monitor series and the Reference series. Possibly limited supplies and have no idea what they cost. Is this budget for speakers and AVR?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for your fast reply!

Yes, the budget is for AVR and speakers (unfortunately)...

Which one would you chose between the old (I mean I red the new series is available in July) Elite VSX 21 and the new VSX 10-20?

Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-19-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 84
If it were me the AVR would be the Elite models. Two year warranty and a known AVR. The 1020 may spec out like last years 1019 with all channels driven. The Elite are THX certified. As for the speakers like I said I've no idea what the SE's from Paradigm sell for, but I would imagine they are more expensive than the Mini-Monitors. Those Mini-Monitors sounded very good to me when I used them for surround duty before I got my References all around. I even put them up front and was amazed at their clarity. Hard to beat for the price of those. You could problably get the Mini-Monitors and the Elite21/23 for very close to your budget. Good luck. Maybe someone else will chime in with some other ideas to help.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I agree the pioneer elite would be the way to go. You could find it or the 9040 (same but canada version) on Amazon for around 500 and then get the Paradigm SE1 for the speakers. That would be around 1100 but It would be alot better than the atoms for music. Those SE1s have some good bass. I would also look at a refurb marantz on accessories for less. http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
I would also look at some used Paradigm studio 20s on ebay or audiogon. You can find some v3 studio 20s for around 500 sometimes. Those would be a little better sounding but SE1 is also one of the best bookshelves I have heard. Ill give you some links if you want to read though them the reviewer agrees with me on this one.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...igm/index.html

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspe...peaker_system/
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I agree the pioneer elite would be the way to go. You could find it or the 9040 (same but canada version) on Amazon for around 500 and then get the Paradigm SE1 for the speakers. That would be around 1100 but It would be alot better than the atoms for music. Those SE1s have some good bass. I would also look at a refurb marantz on accessories for less. http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
I would also look at some used Paradigm studio 20s on ebay or audiogon. You can find some v3 studio 20s for around 500 sometimes. Those would be a little better sounding but SE1 is also one of the best bookshelves I have heard. Ill give you some links if you want to read though them the reviewer agrees with me on this one.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...igm/index.html

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspe...peaker_system/
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page