I received my Onkyo from A**.com today from the PM deal.
I have uploaded some pictures of the unboxing. Full review to come
Currently WAF is 100%
System: Mits 73" TV/ATI 5870 HTPC/PS3/XBOX360
Saw TV, simple hookup - no CEC issues so far.
Is VERY light compared to the my friends 807. However, unlike my old Onkyo 606 that has now blown up 2x this is VERY cool on top (think almost Denon or Yamaha) after being ON and playing music for 60 minutes.
I have not run any setups/2EQ etc.
ATI HDMI 7.1->Onkyo is perfect at 1080p
The "Cinema" chip can actually "process" the 1080p signal - kinda shocking
There is an OVERLAY for functions, music modes etc WHILE you have 1080p in - nice.
Sounds great with my Paradigm Moniotrs/sub
Over the weekend I will have a good review for everyone. Again, I am MOST concerned about 5.1->7.1 processing, HDMI-CEC (that it works), and that the thing does not get hot. Clearly this has enough power to shake the hell out of my metal/concrete 14x16 room
I suggest the U2 song "Miracle Drug".
Btw, I LOVE that it will "sense" a 2.0 signal and you can choose to just have 2.1 out and NOT do the whole 7.1 scaling......
1 Horrific manual on the virtues of THX modes vs Dolby PLxII....1
2 The volume does not "glow" like 807. Volume knob feels "cheap" vs. 807
1. Nice - like the 807 you can NAME the inputs
. So HDMI1 is called 'Media CNTR", HDMI4 is "XBOX360". These names appear on the screen overlay with the HDMI-CEC function
2. I kept it on all night playing soft music (so I could sleep). I am SHOCKED how cool this is..... it is so light vs. 807 yet MUCH cooler. Litterally 90% of it is cold (room is cold since it is a dedicated XBOX/PC gaming/Movie room as you can see from the pics.). The FRONT RIGHT is the only place "warm" this AM.
3. After having been so annoyed after my 606 blew up 3 months ago with the HDMI defect common to all models (still trying to get fixed for my bedroom from Onkyo "service") I have owned and returned (yes I feel bad for A**.com but I keep all packaging and buy so much from them my conscience is clean):
1. Yamaha V665 (HDMI-CEC was only 90% working.... therefore WAF was 0%). YPAO did a bad job in my concrete room too. This is arguably COOLER than tht one
2. Onkyo 807: MUCH hotter vs. this one. Nicer overlay/GUI/Setup.
I do not really miss the 807 network pandora as I have my HTPC. Now if I could ONLY GET ATI to enable HDMI-CEC to "turn on the AMP" when I have Wake On Lan turn on the PC from sleep
This runs so cool I may just leave it on the whole time. It is NOT space heater. I do not understand - it is REALLY light - one hand and i can hold it easily. Worried me alot at first.