The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

That bugs me too, guess it's not Onkyo's fault but I don't get why it's not possible to run height, width and back channel at the same time

I'd be cool with rear surrounds and one of either the front highs or wides.

Brings me to another question. My old receiver had front a/b channels. I have 4 Sony ss b3000's wired in Parallel now. Would it be better to wire them in series?

BTW. I know the Sony's aren't audiophile quality and all that but, for less than $100 a pair, I can not recommend them enough. With the 608 I hardly need the Dayton SA1000/ 12" Alpine type R sub. K, well maybe that's an overstatement. The do sound awesome though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro007 View Post

I just got mine last evening and i quickly hooked it up as every thing was all set using Yamaha AVR 1065 as a makeshift arrangement.

Maybe the next thing you need to put on your shopping list is a better Camera
post #543 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

That's a cold response to the posters question. Every thread has a ton of off topic post especially when the item hasn't even reached retailers. One of you guys who have this should just start fresh with an owners thread.

The point is this: If we encourage people to be lazy, answer their questions when they should be encouraged to research, this thread is going to be 500 pages long, which I dont want, Drhankz doesn't want & you also dont want. We tried to get a new thread, it didnt work because the moderators know the same questions will be asked there too. We either work together to make a good, concise thread by following established posting rules or we have a friendly 500 page thread.
I'm not going to argue with you, make it personal... nor am I going to police the thread if we don't all have the same common goal.

So the question stands... let people break all the rules & have a polite mega thread or follow rules & have a concise readable thread?

PS3 Screenname Tunaman4u2 for COD MW2 & TigerWoods 11
post #544 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM

I have a home theater room (former guest bedroom) that is 12 feet by 15 feet. Almost a perfect box. I don't know if there is a correlation between room size and receiver size. At somepoint I would think a receiver would be too much for a small room. Can someone please tell me what advantages I am getting over having the 608 vs the 508? I want a good home theater room but it doesn't need to be total audiophile quality. I am going to have a 5.1 system. I haven't picked out speakers yet because I need two rear speakers to be in-wall and then two front speakers to be on-wall, along with center speaker on-wall. If you have any recommendations for speakers, I will take that as well. thanks in advance.
post #545 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I guess i should hv used my regular camera.Probably it was late and i wanted to get it going. Will post better ones later with better content.

Spank me for complaining
post #546 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnon View Post

I have a home theater room (former guest bedroom) that is 12 feet by 15 feet. Almost a perfect box. I don't know if there is a correlation between room size and receiver size. At somepoint I would think a receiver would be too much for a small room. Can someone please tell me what advantages I am getting over having the 608 vs the 508? I want a good home theater room but it doesn't need to be total audiophile quality. I am going to have a 5.1 system. I haven't picked out speakers yet because I need two rear speakers to be in-wall and then two front speakers to be on-wall, along with center speaker on-wall. If you have any recommendations for speakers, I will take that as well. thanks in advance.

That is what they make Volume Controls for

More importantly - I would NOT buy the 508 because it does not have the Faroudja Video Processor.

End of story for me.
post #547 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Sold my 605 to my parents and hooked up my 608 last night. I feel I noticed a sound quality improvement but am not crazy about having to click receiver then home and a couple more clicks to display audio and video input/output. Is it possible to set it to display surround signal ie. TrueHD in big red letter on front of unit like the 605?

Sony KDL60EX645 LED 60" TV, Bell 9242 sat,Onkyo 608 rec, XBOX 360, PS3, Paradigm Monitor 7v.5,ADP-190,CC-290,PW-2200 sub.
post #548 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Maybe the next thing you need to put on your shopping list is a better Camera

Yeah I guess i should hv used my regular camera.Probably it was late and i wanted to get it going. Will post better ones later with better content.

:cool:Onkyo SR 608
PANASONIC TH-42PX60U
Definitive Tech Speakers 600 Series
PS3
Philips DVD/CD Player
Apple TV
DIRECTV HR 300
post #549 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I just got mine last evening and i quickly hooked it up.

I did calibrated using the Aud. mic provided .

Does any one here know how long the cord is to the Audyssey mic? I am going to need it to be at least 15 ft.

Also i read in the 608's on line manual that the Audyssey 2EQ also sets the sub woofers crossover. I thought that MultiEQ did that but not 2EQ?
post #550 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCA View Post

Just so I'm clear, you can only have one of either surround back, front high or, front wide working at one time. I was looking to have 9.1 speakers playing in all channel stereo.

I realize this is a 7.2 receiver. Just checking. I did notice that during the level calibration all of them will produce sound however, going through the listening modes I could not get sound to the front wide and rear surrounds at the same time.

Correct, at any given time you have to pick either back, high, or wide. Although if you just want it for all channel stereo mode you might be able to hook up a 2 channel amp to the zone 2 line level outs to power speakers 8 and 9. This solution however will not work with things other than all channel stereo since you only have 8 channels of information (7+1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

[color="Red"]
That bugs me too, guess it's not Onkyo's fault but I don't get why it's not possible to run height, width and back channel at the same time

It is possible, you just have to upgrade to the 1007 (or 1008 when it comes out or maybe the 808 if the 9.2 feature makes its way down into that) :-)
post #551 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish602 View Post

Also i read in the 608's on line manual that the Audyssey 2EQ also sets the sub woofers crossover. I thought that MultiEQ did that but not 2EQ?

Setting a cross over is quite different from applying equalization. A cross over is just a simple cut off. EQ looks for peaks and dips in your speaker response at various frequencies and applies corrections to the output signal to help compensate for those peaks and dips.
post #552 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

Setting a cross over is quite different from applying equalization. A cross over is just a simple cut off. EQ looks for peaks and dips in your speaker response at various frequencies and applies corrections to the output signal to help compensate for those peaks and dips.

Awesome. Thanks for your help. I believe THX recommends a sub woofer cross over to be set at 80. Does that apply to all sub woofers?
post #553 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 02:46 PM

It depends on the sub, your other speakers, and your preferences. Remember that THX is just a baseline or reference point. It isn't necessarily what sounds best or what will sound best to you. So if you're going for reference then yes use 80, but otherwise set it to whatever you like. Some people set it lower if they want to utilize thier tower speakers more. Some people set it higher if they want the sub to assist their other speakers more.
post #554 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Ordered today from EFL.ca after lunch (free shiping in Canada), and as of now (6 PM), it is already shipped.

Hoooooray
post #555 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 03:28 PM

I had RC160 but sold it to my friend so I can get a 3D ready receiver.

I was ready to get 608 or RC260 until I came across Pioneer VSX-920-K (cheaper than Onkyo).

Anyone had any experience with Pioneer receiver? I am stuck on these two options.

I like RC160 (my first true receiver) and like Onkyo brand but I am open to different brand if it offers more functions for less.
post #556 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurek99 View Post

Ordered today from EFL.ca after lunch (free shiping in Canada), and as of now (6 PM), it is already shipped.

Hoooooray

EFL.ca? 404 not found?
Accessories4less? Can't find the 608 there.
post #557 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

I expect each & every one of you to be EQing your system over the weekend & coming back with some settings, tweaks, changes that made your unit better than out of the box. Include your speakers, room size, music\\movie you used etc.

Thanks guys!

post #558 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2 View Post

I expect each & every one of you to be EQing your system over the weekend & coming back with some settings, tweaks, changes that made your unit better than out of the box. Include your speakers, room size, music\\movie you used etc.

Thanks guys!

I started my Crestron Programming today - as soon as the Onkyo REMOTE
shows up on Friday - Then I'll be able to complete the programming on
Saturday and start playing and tweaking on Sunday.
post #559 of 5290 Old 04-29-2010, 11:24 PM

First and foremost, all I can say is WOW. Really like the 608 so far with my polkaudio 7.1 set up. This receiver really really pushes my speakers well,,,, im sooooo worried that I'm going to drive my neighbors nuts and my whole set up is crazy loud and I've yet to push the volume knob past 1/2 way mark. Anway.... This is my first real receiver that is NOT HT in a box. I need some help with Audyssey HZ on my speakers. What do you guys think on my 7.1 speaker HZ set up?

Center = CS2 POLK AUDIO
Front mains = 70 monitor POLK AUDIO
side surrounds = 50 monitor POLK AUDIO
rear surrounds = 50 monitor POLK AUDIO
SUB = PW505

I ran Audyssey and it set all my speakers to 40hz and sub to 80hz..??.. I have no clue if this is correct or not. Was reading on one forum that I should set my main 70's to full band, all other speakers (cs2 and 50's surrounds) to 80hz (thx), and my sub to 120hz. What do you guys think. Any help would be great. I'm a noob at this whole thing, but so far my system is UNREAL!!! Totally going to drive my neighbors nuts im sure.

post #560 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 AM

It appears from the downloaded manual (pg 32), that the U.S. version (only) of the 608 does not include a video circuitry bypass (pure audio) listening mode. Can anyone who has gotten delivery confirm?
post #561 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfy1234 View Post

First and foremost, all I can say is WOW. Really like the 608 so far with my polkaudio 7.1 set up. This receiver really really pushes my speakers well,,,, im sooooo worried that I'm going to drive my neighbors nuts and my whole set up is crazy loud and I've yet to push the volume knob past 1/2 way mark. Anway.... This is my first real receiver that is NOT HT in a box. I need some help with Audyssey HZ on my speakers. What do you guys think on my 7.1 speaker HZ set up?

Center = CS2 POLK AUDIO
SUB = PW505

I ran Audyssey and it set all my speakers to 40hz and sub to 80hz..??.. I have no clue if this is correct or not. Was reading on one forum that I should set my main 70's to full band, all other speakers (cs2 and 50's surrounds) to 80hz (thx), and my sub to 120hz. What do you guys think. Any help would be great. I'm a noob at this whole thing, but so far my system is UNREAL!!! Totally going to drive my neighbors nuts im sure.

Great set-up, congrats on your graduation from HTIB! I think the 608 is a perfect fit for your them. I still haven't had the chance to do my audyssey settings, but personally I think unless you have crappy speakers that don't have any low end (which you don't), 120hz is too high for your sub. Stick with 80 and you'll be doing great. Also, I wouldn't set your towers to full band unless you plan on running straight stereo a lot. Even though they can handle a lot of low end, in my opinion it's best to let your sub handle it - will be better for sound AND won't tax the amps in the receiver as much. Enjoy!
post #562 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevanse View Post

Great set-up, congrats on your graduation from HTIB! I think the 608 is a perfect fit for your them. I still haven't had the chance to do my audyssey settings, but personally I think unless you have crappy speakers that don't have any low end (which you don't), 120hz is too high for your sub. Stick with 80 and you'll be doing great. Also, I wouldn't set your towers to full band unless you plan on running straight stereo a lot. Even though they can handle a lot of low end, in my opinion it's best to let your sub handle it - will be better for sound AND won't tax the amps in the receiver as much. Enjoy!

I think the 120hz setting for the sub is meant to be the LPF of LFE, this has nothing to do with the speaker's crossover. This means that the sub will put out all LFE content (since LFE has content from 1hz-120hz). This stuff can get quite confusing though, but those are seperate settings. In some cases subs that put out sounds above 80hz get a bit too localized, then it is wise to cut off the sub at 80hz. In most cases the LFE doesn't even contain content above 80hz, but if you want to have every sound outputted by your system, set the LPF of LFE to 120hz.

Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550, Chario Hiper 2000T fronts, Chario Hiper Dialogue Center, Monitor Audio RXFX Surrounds, Rel Quake 200E Subwoofer, Infocus X10 FullHD
post #563 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Center = CS2 POLK AUDIO
SUB = PW505

This is GREAT to hear, I have the same setup.
The Monitor 70s go down to 30hz & I was hoping to get the 608 to go to 30hz for these... is that an option? Have you tried it? There will be a lot of time when my sub is off (Watching the Office, Sports etc.) & I'd like to have the full range of the Monitor 70s for sure.

How do you like the sub? People tried to steer me away from the 505 but I went with it anyway.
You & me Elfy are going to have lots of chats!

post #564 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1031 View Post

I had RC160 but sold it to my friend so I can get a 3D ready receiver.

I was ready to get 608 or RC260 until I came across Pioneer VSX-920-K (cheaper than Onkyo).

Anyone had any experience with Pioneer receiver? I am stuck on these two options.

I like RC160 (my first true receiver) and like Onkyo brand but I am open to different brand if it offers more functions for less.

Kev, I nearly pulled the trigger two weeks ago on the Pioneer 920....literally had my mouse hovered over the 'Confirm Purchase' button with it in my amazon cart.

I ended up doing more research, and found out that the crossover settings for the 920 was limited to (if I remember right) 50, 80, 150hz only. This was confirmed from an email directly from Pioneer Support. Those are really big gaps and would not have worked well with my speaker system (Klipsch Quintet SL with Sub-12, 7.1). The Onkyo is more money but it offers crossover settings in 10hz increments which is the way it should be.

Hope this helps.
post #565 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 AM

Liked: 24
Mine showed up yesterday afternoon just before i left for work. Still have a little paperwork to get done at home then I'm going to get this sucker installed and start tweaking it..... damn paperwork !!

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #566 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone confirm if the zone 2 will output Dolby Digital and DTS? My old TX-SR674 only outputs analog inputs over zone 2. Thanks!
post #567 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sound mode help:

So I am new to this THX thing (on the 608)
I have 7.1 (REARS) seteup 2EQ
WOrks fine with HTPC test

Is there a SINGLE solution that will (say THX select inema that does NOT work)
1. Convert 5.1 to 7.1
2. Convert 2.0 to simulation 7.1
3. Allow TRUE 7.1 (Left 4 Dead 2 ) to "pass through"?
post #568 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I ran Audyssey and it set all my speakers to 40hz and sub to 80hz..??.. I have no clue if this is correct or not. Was reading on one forum that I should set my main 70's to full band, all other speakers (cs2 and 50's surrounds) to 80hz (thx), and my sub to 120hz. What do you guys think.

In addition to what bevanse said: 40Hz is already the closest setting full band, its not like Audyssey set your 70's to 80Hz... What I plan to do is run Audyssey, see what it sets and then over time try a few of the near by settings to see if I like any of them better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2 View Post

This is GREAT to hear, I have the same setup.
The Monitor 70s go down to 30hz & I was hoping to get the 608 to go to 30hz for these... is that an option? Have you tried it? There will be a lot of time when my sub is off (Watching the Office, Sports etc.) & I'd like to have the full range of the Monitor 70s for sure.

How do you like the sub? People tried to steer me away from the 505 but I went with it anyway.
You & me Elfy are going to have lots of chats!

Getting your 70's down to 30Hz is an option, you just have to set them to full band :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh View Post

Can anyone confirm if the zone 2 will output Dolby Digital and DTS? My old TX-SR674 only outputs analog inputs over zone 2. Thanks!

Zone 2 has outputs for Left,Right speaker level and Left/Right line level. No digital out...
post #569 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

In addition to what bevanse said: 40Hz is already the closest setting full band, its not like Audyssey set your 70's to 80Hz... What I plan to do is run Audyssey, see what it sets and then over time try a few of the near by settings to see if I like any of them better.

Getting your 70's down to 30Hz is an option, you just have to set them to full band :-)

Awesome information, thanks so much. Can you set just the 2 front towers to full range & the rears & center to 40hz?

post #570 of 5290 Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM

I'm running this same set up but with the TSi series. Glad to see some Polk fans on here, that PSW 505 has some serious power. I've been following this thread (and the Pio one) to figure out which receiver was better and after I saw the lower power draw on the Pio, the 608 won. Has everyone been happy with their purchase so far? Anything you would change on the 608 (other than pre outs)?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page