The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 5296 Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if there are additional remote control codes? I just got my 608 set up and am trying to link my U-Verse cable box. I have a Motorloa VIP1216.

I have everything else programed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5296 Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post

That's looks nice

The only dumb question is the one you never ask...
post #993 of 5296 Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFman025 View Post

That's looks nice

Sweet. I still have my feature sticker on the front. I'm not familiar with Moneual?
post #994 of 5296 Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 PM

Moneual = HTPC and case manufacturer
post #995 of 5296 Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM

I have an HT setup and my Sony 50ES from 1998 is going bust.

Will the 608 be the right receiver for my 5.1 setup which features the Definitive Technology Towers (with built in 125W sub per tower)

The spec of the tower is as follows:

Dimensions | Metric :40-1/4" H x 7-1/4" W x 11-1/2" D | 102.2 x 18.4 x 29.2 cm
Driver Complement :Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; Two 5-1/4" high definition upper bass/midrange drivers; One 10" cast basket subwoofer
Frequency Response :18 Hz - 30 kHz
Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs
Sensitivity :91 dB
Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :20 - 250 watts
Internal Amplifier Power :25 watts
A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :Large; Full Bandwidth
Auto On / Off :Signal Sensing (US) | Signal Sensing and Switched (International)
Power Requirements :110 volts Alternating Current (US) | 220 volts Alternating Current (International)
Inputs :Three sets of five way binding posts: Triwireable; One full range low level RCA (optional); One LFE input (optional)
Available Finishes :Piano-Gloss Black
Packaging :One to a Carton
post #996 of 5296 Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomite View Post

Will the 608 be the right receiver for my 5.1 setup which features the Definitive Technology Towers (with built in 125W sub per tower)

Driver Complement :Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter; Two 5-1/4" high definition upper bass/midrange drivers; One 10" cast basket subwoofer
Auto On / Off :Signal Sensing (US) | Signal Sensing and Switched (International)
Power Requirements :110 volts Alternating Current (US) | 220 volts Alternating Current (International)
Inputs :Three sets of five way binding posts: Triwireable; One full range low level RCA (optional); One LFE input (optional)

Does the towers have their own power supply?
If not, then looks like you will need a more powerful amp or at least one which has pre-out so that you may hook up an external amplifier in the future.
post #997 of 5296 Old 05-17-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

You need to set your front speakers as large and subwoofer to no.

What you have is a passive sub module that works in conjunction with left and right channels.

I would also get some new speakers when you get a chance. Davinci is one of those crappy white van speakers sold out of the back of a van or on ebay.
Sorry to be harsh. But it's the truth. Do a google search and you will see there a scam.

I have the same issue with the Definitive tech speakers which provided the same setup stuff. You need to connect the RCA from sub out from onkyo to you sub and run the setup again . It will change the setup..And the other one is do the connection of the front speakers directly to receiver. But dont connect the way ..u have done now. Also never make the front speakers large.

:cool:Onkyo SR 608
PANASONIC TH-42PX60U
Definitive Tech Speakers 600 Series
PS3
Philips DVD/CD Player
Apple TV
DIRECTV HR 300
post #998 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Okay, now I am confused...

Quote:

You need to set your front speakers as large and subwoofer to no.

What you have is a passive sub module that works in conjunction with left and right channels.

I would also get some new speakers when you get a chance... (Already planning this, hoping to get some recommendations here, in the meanwhile...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

The sub-woofer is only recognized when it connected to the subwoofer pre-out. A $100 powered sub will be leap years ahead of what you have now and you can connect the DaVinci fronts directly to the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro007 View Post

I have the same issue with the Definitive tech speakers which provided the same setup stuff. You need to connect the RCA from sub out from onkyo to you sub and run the setup again . It will change the setup..And the other one is do the connection of the front speakers directly to receiver. But dont connect the way ..u have done now. Also never make the front speakers large.

So, I can connect the sub to the sub preout RCA connectors on the back here? Even though it is not a powered sub? Splicing a couple of RCA connectors onto the end of the speaker wire would be okay?

Any chance of frying the receiver doing this? (I'm not so concerned about frying the speakers )
LL
post #999 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkamy View Post

Okay, now I am confused...

So, I can connect the sub to the sub preout RCA connectors on the back here? Even though it is not a powered sub? Splicing a couple of RCA connectors onto the end of the speaker wire would be okay?

Any chance of frying the receiver doing this? (I'm not so concerned about frying the speakers )

No you need to hook it up as I described in my previous post. You really have no other options with that system.

The sub pre out is for powered subs only. Your sub is not powered.

Set your speakers to large and the sub option to no in the speaker set up menu. This way the bass is routed to the left and right channels which are connected to the passive sub you have. It's your only option.
post #1000 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro007 View Post

For his system he needs to follow my directions as they are the best way for his system. Your set up is completely different.
post #1001 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:

No you need to hook it up as I described in my previous post. You really have no other options with that system.

The sub pre out is for powered subs only. Your sub is not powered.

Set your speakers to large and the sub option to no in the speaker set up menu. This way the bass is routed to the left and right channels which are connected to the passive sub you have. It's your only option.

Okay NADz, you seem pretty certain I'll give that a a try in the interim, I will be buying new speakers. I am now thinking of buying Polks, by piece as they go on sale, (bummer I missed those Polk Audio Monitor 70's in black).

Would there be any problem switching out the speakers a section at a time?

The rom is fairly large, 17x24 with the TV set up along the short axis (Making for a deep room). So I imagine I am looking for some speakers with some oomf to them? Will the Onkyo SKS-HT750 be enough for this room? Or should I go with some Pols such as...
  • PSW110 Black High Performance Powered Subwoofer
  • Polk Audio Monitor 70's (for fronts, or would the 60's or 50's be better for my application?)
  • Polk Audio CS1 Center Channel
  • And something else for surround and rear channel

In any event, I would like to keep the cost below a set of Acoustimass 16's but be able to use equally well for music as well as movies and gaming. I am a complete novice to home audio so any simple speaker matching advice would help too

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #1002 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpBlast View Post

I'm guessing (from your location) you have the European/Australian/Asian model, which is a bit different than the North American/Taiwan model that most people here have.

From what I see, the European model has Pure Audio Mode and 4 ohm speaker rating, which the North American model does not have ! The European model also has binding post type speaker terminals for Zone 2 in lieu of spring clips (wish my 608 had binding posts for Zone 2 as I ran 12 gauge outside to a couple of speakers and I had to strip the wire as 14 gauge just to get it to fit in the spring clips ! I might get some pins for a better connection.) And, of course, only the North American model is Sirius radio ready. The B is definitely for Black, and I think silver is available as well.

Either way, I am sure you will enjoy your unit !

I'm sure I will! Been reading the manual - getting the amp today or tomorrow ;o)

Last night I saw an online dealer selling the 608 in two versions - 608B and 608S - Black and Silver. So I (and you) was right - it's simply the color of the thing.

And yup, I got the EU version, difference is descibed in the manual. As far as I remember, the difference is a few connections on the back, and a Pure Audio mode.

The worst things about censorship are **** ** *** ** and ** **** *** *****.
post #1003 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:

I am guessing from the description that these are BP7004's, correct? These are what I have. Since the 10" has it's own power the 608 works perfect for me.
post #1004 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:

For his system he needs to follow my directions as they are the best way for his system. Your set up is completely different.

The Deftech speakers have a powere sub and passive subs (or at least the BP Towers do). I don't know about the 350 or smaller bookshelf ones.
post #1005 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I was looking at some 7.1 sets from Onkyo namely the Onkyo SKS-HT750 or SKS-HT540.

I have not seen any reviews on the 750s concerning music playback, anyone out there have these, if so, how do they do with music?

Also, any other 7.1 suggestions would be well received also.

I had the HT750 set and it was ok for movies and games in 7.1 (especially gaming which was true 7.1) though they're not much good for music. Mine came with my HTIB and I soon after sold them and upgraded to Energy RC-Mini's & Micro's. Buy some Polks or Energy (both come in small sizes if that's what you want) and you'll be happy. Those Onkyo HTIB speakers aren't great sounding once you compare them to these brands.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #1006 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post

The Deftech speakers have a powere sub and passive subs (or at least the BP Towers do). I don't know about the 350 or smaller bookshelf ones.

But NADz is responding to Kkamy post and the system the OP has is a Davinci DA 6.1 and not Deftech.
post #1007 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post

I am guessing from the description that these are BP7004's, correct? These are what I have. Since the 10" has it's own power the 608 works perfect for me.

I have an older generation, but same concept, the BP2004. I'll make the assumption it works the same way.

Any tips on your 608+DefTech setup? I am curious of the dedicated lines of the 7.2 receiver to each of the deftech towers LFE in. Any special settings on the 608 that work best?

I have a deftech C1 center channel (entry level) which I'm looking to upgrade too. Perhaps the C/L/R 2002.

Man, I love this forum.
post #1008 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

But NADz is responding to Kkamy post and the system the OP has is a Davinci DA 6.1 and not Deftech.

Correct I quoted the wrong post. It should have been zorro007 which Nadz quoted in his. the double quote didn't work.
post #1009 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

I have an older generation, but same concept, the BP2004. I'll make the assumption it works the same way.

Any tips on your 608+DefTech setup? I am curious of the dedicated lines of the 7.2 receiver to each of the deftech towers LFE in. Any special settings on the 608 that work best?

I have a deftech C1 center channel (entry level) which I'm looking to upgrade too. Perhaps the C/L/R 2002.

Man, I love this forum.

There is a lot of discussion about using the pre-out or just wiring them up as speaker connects in this post... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18619541 however it is quite long. In summary the concenses was to wire them up using just the speaker connections, set receiver to No Sub, and Full on L and R and let the Deftech circuitry do the work. But you can do it either way and see what sounds best.

The CLR2002 is a good center (I went with the PC2000 due to sice and looks [wife said so]). If you can find a CLR100b or CLR2000 off of ebay they would sound a little better because they have 6.5" drivers.
post #1010 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Okay NADz, you seem pretty certain I'll give that a a try in the interim, I will be buying new speakers. I am now thinking of buying Polks, by piece as they go on sale, (bummer I missed those Polk Audio Monitor 70's in black).

Would there be any problem switching out the speakers a section at a time?

The rom is fairly large, 17x24 with the TV set up along the short axis (Making for a deep room). So I imagine I am looking for some speakers with some oomf to them? Will the Onkyo SKS-HT750 be enough for this room? Or should I go with some Pols such as...
  • PSW110 Black High Performance Powered Subwoofer
  • Polk Audio Monitor 70's (for fronts, or would the 60's or 50's be better for my application?)
  • Polk Audio CS1 Center Channel
  • And something else for surround and rear channel

In any event, I would like to keep the cost below a set of Acoustimass 16's but be able to use equally well for music as well as movies and gaming. I am a complete novice to home audio so any simple speaker matching advice would help too

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you're upgrading piece-by-piece, I'd start with the center, then sub, then fronts and lastly the rears. I'm about to do the same once I decide which receiver to go with.

No signature here...
post #1011 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
608 is being delivered today, cant wait.

After tweaking the 606 to death for 2 years, I should be able to give a really detailed comparison/review and answer questions about the 608 for anyone that wants to know about it compared to the previous Onkyo models.
post #1012 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Setup update..

Well, last night I twiddled around with my 608 for a few more hours.. after using Intelivolume, I was able to more equalize sound output between sources, as well as squeeze some more gain out of the volume.

Reset the volume scale to THX and it displays now a reference level instead of the 0-99 .. I just did not like that 0-99 scale.

Downside... I was so into it, went a little crazy on loudness and blew one of my subs.. (I use 2) .. took the sub apart and replaced the blown fuse.. when I turned it back on, got a puff of smoke and another blown fuse with the sub not even plugged into the 608.

So, now I'm on the hunt for a new pair of subs. My old units are Velodyne, and no longer manufactured, so I can't just buy another of those if I want a matched pair.

Looking at the Polk PSW10's or the Yamaha YST-SW216BL .. gotta stay on budget, so don't laugh. In the last 6 months I've spent several thousand on equipment upgrades. Can't justify another big speaker outlay at this point. After 40 years messing with gear, a sub is not the most critical link in the chain anyway.. IMO.

Thoughts..?? recommendations..??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1013 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfy1234 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

elfy, stop with the caps please. We can all hear you fine.

WHAT DID YOU SAY???!!!???!!!???

I've just been reporting all these posts about deals etc. they have no place here and are clearly against the forum rules. Hopefully if everyone else starts reporting the mods will start deleting them/banning people so we can keep the thread on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangrim View Post

Hullos all!

Got a TX-SR608B in the mail. Can anyone tell me the difference (if any) between that and a TX-SR608?

I have a nagging feeling it might just be the colour (B for Black?)

Thanks in advance!

I didn't see someone answer this yet. Yes B is for black. I was a bit confused myself when I first got my unit, I'm used to numbering schemes on certain other types of products where if you get a letter tacked on to the end it means its a less good version. Not the case here, its just the difference between black and silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

One way to reduce the clicking is set each input to the format it most receives. That way it won't be switching between formats and thus clicking everytime you choose a source. Commercials may still make it click. Don't have any source set to "Last Preset" or whatever it's called, that tends to click the most in my experience. I've gotten my TX-NR1007 and both 608's to almost completely stop clicking unless I change something myself.

Quoting michaelahess, because this has not been stated enough in this thread yet. I keep seeing people complaining about clicking... personally every receiver I've ever owned clicked when you turn the amp on and off, I didn't even know they made amps that don't click when they come on and off. For me it isn't a problem that I hear a click the first time I turn on the receiver or when I pop in a CD and it switches from a 7.1 mode to 2.1.

If you don't like the clicking when a commercial comes on for example, then change your settings so the receiver doesn't change from something like DTS Neo 6 Cinema to Stereo automatically when the source audio changes from 5.1 to stereo.

Commercials never make my unit click -- I went into setup and changed every format on my cable input to DTS Neo Cinema. That way when I'm watching TV and the source is 5.1 dolby and then a 2.0 PCM commercial comes on -- guess what no click, because my receiver just stayed on DTS Neo Cinema. For my blu-ray input I have it set differently. When there is a 5.1 or 7.1 source I've got it set to DTS Neo Cinema, but when the source is 2.0 I've got it set to Stereo. So yes there is a click when I drop in a CD after watching a blu-ray and the receiver automatically switches to Stereo and switches off the amps for the other speakers. That is normal -- there is nothing wrong with an amp clicking when it comes on and off.
post #1014 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chardo14 View Post

Ok so Canadian newbie here. Love the sound that comes outs of my Onkyo. Running a Roger HD cable box, runn audio/video through HDMI only to a 720p Sony 32"LCD. When I try to change channels using my cable remote the screen goes blank for about 5 seconds. The HDMI indicator on the front panel blinks then the picture pops up with sound. Did I change a setting I shouldnt have? Obviously this is frustrating the hell out of me. Any help would help...using 5.1 set-up.

1. turn off all hdmi control features on your tv, receiver, and cable box.
2. try a different hdmi cable.
3. if those two fail, switch to component and optical (or connect directly to tv).

it's an hdmi handshake issue
post #1015 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM

I am not sure this question has been asked or not, so hammer me if it has... But if you use the Zone 2 hookup,can it be used for height in the 7.2 surround setup or is it just a reproduction of the same source? in the 7.2 Or am I just confused....? Or is the zone 2 used for another source and or????
post #1016 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Probably most of us have little use for tuning to an AM radio station, but.... I have had my 608 for a couple weeks and very happy with the receiver in a 5.1 program on TV. I also use it at times for listening to FM radio. Just checking to hear AM, I just get noise. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so lots of AM stations around. I have the loop antenna connected, but I get the feeling I'm 200 miles from the closest AM station. Anyone try the AM band on your receiver?
post #1017 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow34 View Post

I am not sure this question has been asked or not, so hammer me if it has... But if you use the Zone 2 hookup,can it be used for height in the 7.2 surround setup or is it just a reproduction of the same source? in the 7.2 Or am I just confused....? Or is the zone 2 used for another source and or????

You can use these speaker connections as Front High or Front Wide or Zone 2. If used as FH or FW they add to the surround. If used as Zone 2 they can play a seperate input (i.e. 5.1 HT in main room and FM in Zone 2). The only caviot is that you can not listen to two different FM or AM stations in both the main room and zone 2 speakers. The receiver has only one FM and AM tunner.

All this is explained in the manual starting on page 55.
post #1018 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM

So I am thinking of going back to 'Direct' mode so that no audio post-processing is done for blu-rays. What mode should I use?

The manual says this about Direct Mode:
In this mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound
processing. The “Sp Config” (presence of speakers), “Sp Distance” and
“A/V Sync” settings are enabled, but much of the processing set via HOME
is disabled.

I assume that my crossover settings would still be in effect in 'Direct' mode, even though it doesn't say specifically in the manual?

The other option would be to set it at 'Multichannel'.
However, the manual only has '5.1' listed as the sole input source, but with a 3.1, 5.1, and 7.1 speaker layout. (I have 7.1).

Lastly, I noticed that my receiver has a 'Straight Decode' option, which isn't even mentioned AT ALL in the manual.

Thoughts?
post #1019 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM

What is the best way to setup 3.1 system with Audyssey? Just plug in my speakers and let t figure out I don't have 4,5,6,or7?
post #1020 of 5296 Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestocat View Post

Probably most of us have little use for tuning to an AM radio station, but.... I have had my 608 for a couple weeks and very happy with the receiver in a 5.1 program on TV. I also use it at times for listening to FM radio. Just checking to hear AM, I just get noise. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so lots of AM stations around. I have the loop antenna connected, but I get the feeling I'm 200 miles from the closest AM station. Anyone try the AM band on your receiver?

AM works fine on mine.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page