Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerKaiser View Post

I had the same experience, though I wouldn't call it degradation. Everything just looks a bit softer. I think this is just the processing that the 608 video chip does. I switched to the Through setting for Uverse. Turning noise reduction to low did not help.

I have Uverse as well with similar problems. I don't know if it was just the program I was watching, but I turned on the game setting and that helped clear it up a bit. Main reason I thought to try this was I getting some blur issues as well as the issue with the picture looking soft, or "dusted." Don't know if this would be universal or just for my issue.

I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
shoot-out of denon 791, onkyo 608, and pioneer 1020: winstonsreviews.com
post #1083 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

you may want to shrink that review page down .. it's taking up two side by side pages making it hard to read .. otherwise, looks great..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1084 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM

I just bought a pair of Klipsch RF-62 Floorstanders and a SpeakerCraft 12" Sub for the SR608. The question I have is what should I set the Hz setting to for the floorstands? Fullrange? It say towers should be set at that. I did. Is this the correct thing to do? I am also inline to purchase the RC-62 Center and the RS-52 Surrounds. Any leads on a used pair? Any feedback would be great.
post #1085 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southnjed View Post

I just bought a pair of Klipsch RF-62 Floorstanders and a SpeakerCraft 12" Sub for the SR608. The question I have is what should I set the Hz setting to for the floorstands? Fullrange? It say towers should be set at that. I did. Is this the correct thing to do? I am also inline to purchase the RC-62 Center and the RS-52 Surrounds. Any leads on a used pair? Any feedback would be great.

I went with 100hz as the crossover point. That's going to send anything below to the sub. In my case, and I also use Klipcsh, it did not matter whether the mains were set at full range or not.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1086 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:

nice post and good read... looks like the 608 really came out on top, in which it should!!! The Onkyo 608 is an unreal deal for the price!

Elfy1234
post #1087 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkamy View Post

Okay NADz, you seem pretty certain I'll give that a a try in the interim, I will be buying new speakers. I am now thinking of buying Polks, by piece as they go on sale, (bummer I missed those Polk Audio Monitor 70's in black).

Would there be any problem switching out the speakers a section at a time?

The rom is fairly large, 17x24 with the TV set up along the short axis (Making for a deep room). So I imagine I am looking for some speakers with some oomf to them? Will the Onkyo SKS-HT750 be enough for this room? Or should I go with some Pols such as...
  • PSW110 Black High Performance Powered Subwoofer
  • Polk Audio Monitor 70's (for fronts, or would the 60's or 50's be better for my application?)
  • Polk Audio CS1 Center Channel
  • And something else for surround and rear channel

In any event, I would like to keep the cost below a set of Acoustimass 16's but be able to use equally well for music as well as movies and gaming. I am a complete novice to home audio so any simple speaker matching advice would help too

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

For music you'll want to go listen to the TSI models at BB which are the same as the Monitors but with a updated speaker box. Take your own music if possible. I bought a polk CSI3 center assuming it would sound good with music just like my vintage polks do. Popped in a music DVD and the music was bright and harsh. Would have had to sell it but luckily a smart member here (MDAUDIOGUY) recommended trying the vintage polk SL2000 tweeter in it and it tamed the brightness to a perfect level. I had to enlarge the hole to make it fit but that's easy with a router or 3" keyhole cutter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...hmentid=151015

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...hmentid=152794

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #1088 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Good read. I do think however, that sound quality is discernible between models even at the mid range price. The AQ was a major factor in choosing the 608.
post #1089 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio View Post

For music you'll want to go listen to the TSI models at BB which are the same as the Monitors but with a updated speaker box. Take your own music if possible. I bought a polk CSI3 center assuming it would sound good with music just like my vintage polks do. Popped in a music DVD and the music was bright and harsh. Would have had to sell it but luckily a smart member here (MDAUDIOGUY) recommended trying the vintage polk SL2000 tweeter in it and it tamed the brightness to a perfect level. I had to enlarge the hole to make it fit but that's easy with a router or 3" keyhole cutter.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...hmentid=151015

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...hmentid=152794

Oh for God's sake, give it a rest corny.
post #1090 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Good read. I do think however, that sound quality is discernible between models even at the mid range price. The AQ was a major factor in choosing the 608.

It is discernible, but I think the difference in similar entry/mid level receivers like these three is not nearly as different as some would lead you to believe.

Denon does do something different to the surrounds - they are clearly more noticeable for example and I was unable to replicate it via audyssey/speaker levels with the Onkyo.
post #1091 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 PM

subscribe
post #1092 of 5292 Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 PM

I have this receiver at the top of my list but would like to know if anyone could share some experiences with using the "Zone 2". I understand that the main listening room has to be set at 5.1. I'm planning to use that for a couple of outside speakers.
post #1093 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
how bad is the lag when switching between inputs?
post #1094 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozero View Post

I have this receiver at the top of my list but would like to know if anyone could share some experiences with using the "Zone 2". I understand that the main listening room has to be set at 5.1. I'm planning to use that for a couple of outside speakers.

This is what I have... works fine for me.
post #1095 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 AM

sjchmura,

Rather than use codecs to fix the PCMing of stereo at 7.1, I just told Windows that I only have a stereo (2.0) speaker setup. (Since I use Boxee, codecs wouldn't help me much.) Then the PC PCMs just 2.0 to the receiver when playing music or older stereo movies. I can then use any processing mode on the PCM 2.0 feed. The audio from BD/DVD, and .mkv, .avi, etc is protected as AC3/DTS and thus all 5.1 is passed because it bypasses Windows processing. I haven"t tried my games yet to see if the audio is in protected formats, or if it will be downgraded to 2.0 sound with these settings. If it is downgraded to 2.0, I will just have to switch my speaker config when I plan on playing a game. Not the best solution, but it works.
post #1096 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post

This is what I have... works fine for me.

I am also using the Powered Zone 2 for a pair of outside speakers, and it works well. I ran 12 gauge wire for the distance I had, but found out the Zone 2 speaker clip terminals did not accept my 12 gauge well. I basically had to strip the 12 gauge as 14 gauge to get it to fit tight enough, I will probably get pin type terminations later.

Also, keep in mind that Zone 2 is only for Analog sources. What I did is use stereo RCA cables in addition to hdmi from my cable box to the 608, and another set of RCAs to my PC to achieve this. This way I can listen to the cable radio stations as well as my music or internet radio from my pc.
post #1097 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

I will say it again, I hope you are not buying products at BM stores like Best Buy and returning them after you do your reviews. Is it just a coincidence that all the products you review happen to be on the shelves at Best Buy?

If he was, what difference does that make..?? Would it be any less valid if I went in and bought 3 units, took them home and demoed over a weekend in order to select the one I liked the most..?? Or even bought one at a time and did the same thing..?? I guess I don't understand your post ..

Are you saying that if he did this using BB, his judgement is clouded..??

Uncle Willie

post #1098 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Of course it makes a difference- I am not criticizing his reviews. I am criticizing the abuse of store return policies- they are not meant for someone to buy things with NO intention of actually keeping them. You are blind if you think a consumer doesn't ultimately pay for people who abuse return policies like that. It is not cool to do that and you ultimately ruin it for people who have legitimate reasons for returning a product.

I fully understand what the implications are for consumers .. however, does that make me wrong in using a return policy to demo some gear in a real world environment in order to make my selection, considering the poor listening environment at most B&M locations..?? I don't consider that abuse of a return policy. I believe that's one of the reasons they have a return policy. They want you to be happy and they want your business.

The tiny impact from a consumer standpoint is negligable. The B&M or online retailer has already committed to the goods from the maker. Thus, they have a markup. The cost of the item from the maker will not change.

No, I'm not doing it on a daily basis nor do I plan too. But I believe that's one of the benefits of buying from a retailer that has that policy. It sure has not hurt Walmart..

Uncle Willie

post #1099 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have no problems with that- I have a problem when someone goes out and "buys" 5 blu-ray players at a time to do a review and then returns them, "buys" 3 receivers to do a review and then returns them, etc etc. To do that so you can set up some review site to get notoriety is wrong in my opinion. Return abuse does cost companies money- Costco changed their policy because of abuse- they said it cost them 3billion dollars a year.

Agreed. Which makes me wonder.. how does someone become a reviewer..??

Uncle Willie

post #1100 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
On topic people. This is a thread about the awesomeness of owning an Onkyo 608, not return policy abuse opinions.
post #1101 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Guys, i have the 3 year old onkyo tx-sr 505 combined with the Infinity Beta floor standing speakers + the 12" Bic f-12 subwoofer on a 7.1 system. Disregarding the video improvements of the 608, will I hear a significant sound quality difference with the new receiver (608) ? I am happy with the current loudness. My family room is 20' * 20' and 2 stories. Someone pls advice. Thanks
post #1102 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM

Is there a way to delete this whole page of posts? A modorator needs to come through and really clean up this thread.

I was watching LOTR last night (sidenote - My LED TV makes it look awesome and I don't know why I would need it on Blu-ray) and wanted to enable the nighttime viewing option, but it was disabled. I am listening to everything on Stereo till my center comes in (today I hope). Is this option only available on certain listening modes?
post #1103 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 AM

i currently own the onkyo 806 model would it be wise to switch to the 608?
post #1104 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM

[quote=Jabooh1;18668014]Is there a way to delete this whole page of posts? A modorator needs to come through and really clean up this thread.
QUOTE]Agreed. And my question should provide some comic relief.

I am in the process of building my first "home theater". At the moment, I have an old sony tube that has had its coax input blown out so I use a vcr as a passthrough via composite video output. (Insert laugh here). I won't be getting a LCD until June/July so in the meantime I have picked the 608 as my receiver and will likely pair it with the Procinema 600 speakers and what I need to know is this:

1. I understand I cannot pass a digital(hdmi) signal through to an analog output so all my connections must be analog (composite). Correct?

2. I have a ps3 and, of course ye old vcr (insert more laughs, remember to breath). Assuming all analog connections via composite cables, can I
a. Use the VCR Out connection on Onkyo to output SD to the tv?
b. Use the montior out to send video to tv and let the Onkyo switch the PS3/VCR connections and handle the audio?

See, I told you this would be funny. I probably should just purchase LCD and receiver/speakers at the same time but I really want to play with the toys....
post #1105 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post

Is there a way to delete this whole page of posts? A modorator needs to come through and really clean up this thread.

I was watching LOTR last night (sidenote - My LED TV makes it look awesome and I don't know why I would need it on Blu-ray) and wanted to enable the nighttime viewing option, but it was disabled. I am listening to everything on Stereo till my center comes in (today I hope). Is this option only available on certain listening modes?

deleted - you're right off topic and unnecessary
post #1106 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 01:02 PM

A few weeks in now and I am very impressed with this unit. It is very bright sounding and much easier to setup than my Yamaha RXV663 was.
post #1107 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 01:48 PM

I just hooked up my Center. So now i am at 3.0 system (my BP7004's have built in subs so I selected no sub and Full Range to the Towers so the DefTech crossover could do it's job) and changed listening mode to Theater Dimensional but I still can't access half the possiblities in the Audio section of the GUI. I am trying to do Dynamic EQ, Nightime Listening, and other items like that (on BD, hit HOME on remote, then AUDIO). Do I need to do something to enable these? Do I need to run Audyssey first?
post #1108 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
But then I need to switch for all my games Not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post

sjchmura,

Rather than use codecs to fix the PCMing of stereo at 7.1, I just told Windows that I only have a stereo (2.0) speaker setup. (Since I use Boxee, codecs wouldn't help me much.) Then the PC PCMs just 2.0 to the receiver when playing music or older stereo movies. I can then use any processing mode on the PCM 2.0 feed. The audio from BD/DVD, and .mkv, .avi, etc is protected as AC3/DTS and thus all 5.1 is passed because it bypasses Windows processing. I haven"t tried my games yet to see if the audio is in protected formats, or if it will be downgraded to 2.0 sound with these settings. If it is downgraded to 2.0, I will just have to switch my speaker config when I plan on playing a game. Not the best solution, but it works.

post #1109 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 PM

I've had my 608 for about 3 weeks and must say it is truly great unit. However, the last few days the fan began making clicking sounds that seem to quiet down for a few minutes when I tap on the cover but only to return a few minutes later. Has anyone else had this issue? I can understand a noisy fan after a year or two of use...not 3 weeks. If it has to go to a service center I might just rma it for a replacement.
post #1110 of 5292 Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post

I've had my 608 for about 3 weeks and must say it is truly great unit. However, the last few days the fan began making clicking sounds that seem to quiet down for a few minutes when I tap on the cover but only to return a few minutes later. Has anyone else had this issue? I can understand a noisy fan after a year or two of use...not 3 weeks. If it has to go to a service center I might just rma it for a replacement.

Strange.. I've put probably 150 hours on mine and cranked it hard enough to blow one of my subs at one point .. no clicking fan .. in fact, it's quiet as a mouse.. sounds like it may not be securely screwed down

Uncle Willie

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page