The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think he means sound that has no sound mode processing applied. I don't consider setting the ps3 to pcm and the 608 to multichannel processing. Just decoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNFLD View Post

I think he means sound that has no sound mode processing applied. I don't consider setting the ps3 to pcm and the 608 to multichannel processing. Just decoding.

Technically multichannel is processing because that activates the bass management system. Whereas Direct is just decoding.
post #1263 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNFLD View Post

You are ALL Missing HD Audio - Read the PS3 FAQ
post #1264 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Technically turning on the 608 is processing

I see your point but mine was that other then that it doesn't change the sound like the other modes do.
post #1265 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

You are ALL Missing HD Audio - Read the PS3 FAQ

Could you direct me to the part you are refering to?

I found a quote that seems to go against what you are saying:

"The end result in sound quality is in most cases essentially the same (depending on the specific capabilities of the AVR) whether the decoding is being done by the PS3 vs. having the AVR do the decoding."
post #1266 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Guys, i have the 3 year old onkyo tx-sr 505 combined with the Infinity Beta floor standing speakers + the 12" Bic f-12 subwoofer on a 7.1 system. Disregarding the video improvements of the 608, will I hear a significant sound quality difference with the new receiver (608) ? I am happy with the current loudness. My family room is 20' * 20' and 2 stories. Someone pls advice. Thanks
post #1267 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Guys, i have the 3 year old onkyo tx-sr 505 combined with the Infinity Beta floor standing speakers + the 12" Bic f-12 subwoofer on a 7.1 system. Disregarding the video improvements of the 608, will I hear a significant sound quality difference with the new receiver (608) ? I am happy with the current loudness. My family room is 20' * 20' and 2 stories. Someone pls advice. Thanks

No, nothing significant.. AVR's don't impart much in the way of sound quality.. your speakers, room and what not play a much larger part..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #1268 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks.You saved me 400 $s :-)
post #1269 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

While playing a disc press the button on the game controller or remote with the triangle icon. This will bring up a 'control panel'. Use the cursor (or arrow) keys to highlight and select the i+ icon and this will display the current audio and video codecs being used and the associated bit rates.

Or you can just press the select button

I am currently using my 60gb PS3 to LPCM the DTS-MA track from Sherlock Holmes so I am getting a kick out these replies.
post #1270 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post

I am currently using my 60gb PS3 to LPCM the DTS-MA track from Sherlock Holmes so I am getting a kick out these replies.

What's your configuration on the 608? Multi-channel as well?
post #1271 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post

I like doing things the hard way ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #1272 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Hey Guys,

Just picked up a Samsung UNC8000 and Samsung blue ray player. Also got the 608 for the 3D pass thru option so i can connect everything through the 608. What HDMI 1.4 cables does everyone use? Do i need to spend a mint on these? What brand should i be looking at? Thanks.
post #1273 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymo1971 View Post

Hey Guys,

Just picked up a Samsung UNC8000 and Samsung blue ray player. Also got the 608 for the 3D pass thru option so i can connect everything through the 608. What HDMI 1.4 cables does everyone use? Do i need to spend a mint on these? What brand should i be looking at? Thanks.

You may want to search AVS on 1.4 HDMI cables.. there are some folks out there claiming there is no such thing out yet ..

post #1274 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

Here's the actual specs, it is a BB fan.

http://www.nidec.co.jp/product/fm/pdf/p34.pdf

nice find.... ill keep looking into this
post #1275 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Quick question, I just hooked up my 608 yesterday and found that when I hook up my Macbook Pro via DVI-to-HDMI to the 608 my resolution options are limited to a max of 1600x900. If hook up the MBP to the TV directly I can select resolutions all the way up to 1600x1080, has anyone experienced an issue similar to this?
post #1276 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymo1971 View Post

Hey Guys,

Do yourself a favor and check out monoprice.com, they are also a forum sponsor. Their cables are of good quality and exceptional value, I have been pleased with the quality and performance of everything I have ordered from them.

For 3D capable HDMI cables, just get the ones on that site that are certified as "high speed", these 1.3 cables have the same bandwidth (10.2 Gbit/s) as 1.4 cables, which is all you really need to make it capable of passing through 3D video. There are actual hdmi 1.4 cables out there online at various places, but it seems most are from unproven sources and unpredictable/unreliable quality and performance as well.
post #1277 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 PM

so I email ONKYO about the fan noise issue and I get this "canned" answer back:

"Go ahead and try to do a reset on the receiver. To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings."

How in the heck is resetting my receiver going to fix a noise coming from the fan.. Sheeeessshhhh. They got to be kidding.

The noise coming from the fan comes and goes. Will be silent for a little while, then will last for 30minutes. Sounds like the fan is a tad bit out of kilter or one of the balls are making a noise. Hard to describe.

elfy1234
post #1278 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 PM

Elfy, did the noise come an go before you cracked the case open also, I don't remember?

Since you already popped it open you might as well drop a decent ultra quiet fan in there like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185004
post #1279 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM

Re:
so I email ONKYO about the fan noise issue and I get this "canned" answer back:

"Go ahead and try to do a reset on the receiver. To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings."

How in the heck is resetting my receiver going to fix a noise coming from the fan.. Sheeeessshhhh. They got to be kidding.

The noise coming from the fan comes and goes. Will be silent for a little while, then will last for 30minutes. Sounds like the fan is a tad bit out of kilter or one of the balls are making a noise. Hard to describe.

elfy1234

I think I had this very same issue. I was within 30 days and had them charge me and send me another one. Once I received it (they sent me a prepaid Fedex sticker), I sent the loud one back. I haven't had any problems with fan noise since I got my new one. (PS: They had me try the reset method, too.)
post #1280 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM

Well pulled the trigger...was debating between Pioneer 1020 and this...saw crazy "open box" deal on Newegg (no price talk...I Know)...so will be posting impressions soon! Hope hdmi pass-thru works as talked about ....
post #1281 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

Elfy, did the noise come an go before you cracked the case open also, I don't remember?

Since you already popped it open you might as well drop a decent ultra quiet fan in there like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185004

noise was there before I even touched the case and is the same after
post #1282 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM

ok, I now have the unit, and I have been having issues with low light scenes and what looks like ghosting happening, very annoying, now I just adjusted the video settings to custom and then turned off NR and that seems to have fixed it, this is a an older Moto Moxi box thru TWC, and all I have is component out running on it, I will say one thing though the auddassy smart volume or what ever its called works great, I watch NCIS L.A. and the go to and return from commercials has this very loud bassy thump and its VERY annoying well the volume limiter works and tones that sound down quite a bit.

Now as no one commented on my older post, I still have a question, is it possible to get the amber VFD from the silver faced TX-SR608?
post #1283 of 5284 Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Liked: 14
post #1284 of 5284 Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allupons View Post

Results!

Ok, so I tested the VCR/Return change and set it to Skip. The results were a passthrough that is entirely untouched! All of the processing and noise reduction and banding are now entirely gone. This is exactly what I was hoping for as now I have the gorgeous unaltered video to match the amazing audio this receiver produces.

There is a tradeoff though. Once you do this you lose the very attractive over-the-screen menu display. You can still adjust all the settings that were visible in this menu by viewing the settings directly on the receiver's lcd, but clearly this isnt ideal. You still have the comprehensive full screen menu's such as the Setup button that steal the entire screen, but things like the Video or Audio button now only show the settings on the receivers lcd, along with things like volume adjust. Lastly, this is only true of HDMI so these on screen menus still appear with component or composite video, and you can still upscale these sources as well if you wish to, so that is good news.

Basically, I am very happy with this result. My best solution is to get the settings to where I like them with the onscreen menus turned on, then use the VCR/Return menu to set video processing to skip to disable all of the colorspace alterations, the noise reduction filters, and the sharpening so that I can have the best possible image quality. Also, I mentioned this once before but Lucas THX recommends setting the VCR/Return to skip as well for best possible image.

Hopefully some find this helpful.

I took it one step further being I could not take the fact I needed to deactivate my OSD for me to enjoy a Blueray movie. I use a PS3 Slim for my Blueray / DVD movie watching. While watching a regular DVD, I did not experience any stuttering what-so-ever. I found this odd and decided to look into my settings of my PS3 Slim. I figure something was activated that was affecting the Blueray movie but not the DVD. That's when I came across 1080P/24hz. It was set to auto. I turned it off and proceeded to watch Avatar.

Guess what, OSD is active and the stuttering is no longer an issue. I actually watched the whole movie last night to make sure and was not disappointed. My tv is a Samsung LN750. Hope this helps.
post #1285 of 5284 Old 05-26-2010, 06:01 AM

I have been following this thread for awhile but missed the pre release deal at ABT. I searched Twitter on the 18th and there was a tweet "check out this price". So I selected it and it took me to B&H. They had the regular price but when I put it in the basket it was the pre release price! I pulled the trigger. I checked the next day and it was at the regular price. Good timing.

I set the unit up last night and it is AWESOME. I picked up the Klipsch 5 speakers and the Klipsch SW-350 at BB. The only problem I have had so far is getting the remote synced with my other components but I have a Harmony 608 that should be able to handle it easily.

I haven't watched a Blu-Ray yet but have streamed Netflix from my BD player and the video looks great. The unit is running very cool and I can't hear any fan noise. So far so good.
post #1286 of 5284 Old 05-26-2010, 06:20 AM

Hello,

I just got my new unit in. So far I'm Loving it!, but there is one thing i want to set up that's i want to see if someone can help me. I want to keep sound going to my TV speakers and not the receiver, but everything else to like my 360, HTPC, etc to be through the receiver. I changed the power control setting and have the sound going through the TV when the receiver is off, but it does not go into standby mode when the TV is off. Is there anyway to put the receiver in standby mode when not watching TV, i don't want it sucking down more power than it needs to when not in use. Maybe an action i can program into my Harmony to change it to stand by when shutting down? Thanks for any help anyone can give.
post #1287 of 5284 Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCruiser07 View Post

I took it one step further being I could not take the fact I needed to deactivate my OSD for me to enjoy a Blueray movie. I use a PS3 Slim for my Blueray / DVD movie watching. While watching a regular DVD, I did not experience any stuttering what-so-ever. I found this odd and decided to look into my settings of my PS3 Slim. I figure something was activated that was affecting the Blueray movie but not the DVD. That's when I came across 1080P/24hz. It was set to auto. I turned it off and proceeded to watch Avatar.

Guess what, OSD is active and the stuttering is no longer an issue. I actually watched the whole movie last night to make sure and was not disappointed. My tv is a Samsung LN750. Hope this helps.

Thanks FJ I was having a similar stutter on my PS3 slim with Transformers BD and it's gone after setting 24hz to OFF. I haven't had any noticeable picture quality loss and skipping the video processing looked the same to me so I'm either blind or lucky.

As for fan noise, mine is quiet and can't be heard at all from the sitting areas... I only wish the PS3 Slim were so quiet as that CAN be heard from the couch. They are all quieter than my PC though; that has a bunch of 120mm fans in it and a toasty graphics card that makes some noise.

The fan mentioned earlier from Scythe is quiet as I have a similar one on my CPU cooler. The Fluid dynamic bearing is supposed to be a step up from sleeve bearings and extend its life as well.
post #1288 of 5284 Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged1 View Post

Thanks FJ I was having a similar stutter on my PS3 slim with Transformers BD and it's gone after setting 24hz to OFF. I haven't had any noticeable picture quality loss and skipping the video processing looked the same to me so I'm either blind or lucky.

As for fan noise, mine is quiet and can't be heard at all from the sitting areas... I only wish the PS3 Slim were so quiet as that CAN be heard from the couch. They are all quieter than my PC though; that has a bunch of 120mm fans in it and a toasty graphics card that makes some noise.

The fan mentioned earlier from Scythe is quiet as I have a similar one on my CPU cooler. The Fluid dynamic bearing is supposed to be a step up from sleeve bearings and extend its life as well.

I do think the stuttering/frame-dropping was most noticeable on 24fps. if you disable the osd/video processing, it's a moot point. annoying, but a moot point!
post #1289 of 5284 Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCruiser07 View Post

So 24p worked fine before? I didn't notice any problems with the VCR/Return trick on or off last night while watching avatar in 24p. My televison set is different though, I have the LG LD520.

post #1290 of 5284 Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 AM
jhk

I've been playing around with my 608, and I have some comments and a question.

I'm trying to upconvert video from my cablebox (Scientific Atlanta explorer 8300HDC). The video is either 1080i for HD or 480p for SD. When I set HDMI output resolution to anything other than 480p or "through," the SD video from my cablebox (coming in through HDMI) gets stretched out so that faces look abnormal. And the picture looks degraded.

When the setting is at 480p or "through" the video looks normal as if the cablebox was connected directly to the TV. How can I fix this so that upconverting SD video does not stretch it out? In my naivete, I had such high hopes for video upconverted to 1080p

I've not had a problem with the receiver going from 8 bits to 10 bits - my outputs in "through" mode show 24 bits input and output.

I've also not heard any fan noise.

Finally, I've noticed that when any THX mode was selected, the output volume was quite a bit lower than when it was not selected.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page