Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

What heck is " A real world" height measurement? The dimensions he gave are pretty accurate.

Precise, yes... but how accurate? As I explained in my initial post, I found several different measurements on different web sites... including one that indicated a 608 receiver that was over 14 inches high! I'd rather not rely on a web site for what could be critical information.

If someone could just post the actual, in-home height measurement of the 608, it would help me out with my purchase decision. I've got a potentially tight fit and I'm just wondering if I'll have enough "head room" for the receiver to breathe properly.

Thanks again for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfy1234 View Post

very interesting.... your 608 has a totally different manufacture fan than mine.... the fan in my 608 is made by nidec and makes noises from time to time.... hmmmmmm

I would say they sourced from a vender the fan that they needed and it was fulfilled with what ever fans the vender had on hand, I am willing to bet that if you cracked open all the ones that everybody here has, there would probably be 4 or 5 different manufactures all with the same general specs for the fan.
post #1353 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Liked: 11
1) A new (to me) Hidden Menu: On device, press Game+Return.
Allows for the following settings, that I don't believe are settable elsewhere:
Deep Color: On/Off
HPD Mode: Normal/High
Fast SW: On/Off
HDMI Thru: Off, 10s, ... 15 min (keep looking for signal until t=setting?)
3D Support: On/Off
Colorimetry:On/Off

2) Another Set of "Hidden" Menus: (copied from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1192172 ) - news to me / works on 608. Jury still out on which setting I will use.

Video Attenuation You must use the buttons on the AV receiver to make these settings.

1. While holding down the input selector button for the input source that you want to set, press the [SETUP] button.
2. Use the Left and Right <-> buttons to change the setting.
3. Press the input selector button for the input source that you want to set when you’ve finished.

This setting can be made for the HDMI or Component Video Input.

If you have a games console connected to the S-Video, composite and component video input, and the picture isn’t very clear, you can attenuate the gain.
Video ATT: OFF: (default).
Video ATT: ON: Gain is reduced by 2 dB.
iatacs19 likes this.
post #1354 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 PM

Cheif21, I just used a measuring tape from the shelf my unit rests on to the top of it is just shy of 7 inches, if you put a credit card on it it would be 7 inches... I hope thats "real world" enough for you.
post #1355 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

No offense to you winston and i'm not trying to sound like a fanboy here but, the Pioneer looks like something you might pick up at K-mart in the open box isle. I still say the verdict remains out on the video "touching". I do respect the work that CNET Labs and HT Labs do for their reviews.

no offense. aesthetics are not my top criteria in buying a receiver any way!
post #1356 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 PM

From same thread, possibly different hardware again: "If you have a display which handles 30 or 36-bit video, the Reon will output 30-bit when the input is 24 or 30-bit.
If your display handles 36-bit and the input is also 36-bit, the Reon will output 36-bit video. The only time it will output 24-bit is if the display only handles 24-bit video."

Which confirms suspicions. Note: Game Mode removes much of the video processing, I've turned this on and set everything to thru (and kept video processing on from menu) and I can no longer tell a noticeable difference in video. Try it out, your mileage may vary.
post #1357 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM

One more question for the night. Anyone having the TV receive no signal from the receiver (at all) when a TiVo is plugged in to receiver? This only happens after a significant time after everything is working. I hate HDCP.
post #1358 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief21 View Post

I'm seriously considering a 608 and I've got a fairly tight cabinet space to deal with.

Before I pull the trigger, could someone kindly measure the ACTUAL height of the receiver and post it here. Many of the specs posted on various sales sites do not agree with one another (and they're posted in tenths of an inch rather than fractional inches).

My MAXIMUM vertical space is 7 15/16". Given the fan-forced ventilation on the 608, will this leave enough clear space for adequate cooling???

Thanks in advance...

Someone posted a while back in this thread that the measurements in the manual are the "real world" measurements. That is the measurements in the manual include the feet and dials etc. that stick off the 608. FYI the manual recommends I believe it was 4 inches of extra space on all sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5145 View Post

Elfy 1234 and Dave HCYJ thanks for the information and guidance. I have some additional questions:

1. How does one know what audio format does a DVD (movie) or a BD Disc (movie) contain?

2. How do I set the listening mode with regard to the audio format (input source)?

The Blu-Ray player is connected to the receiver using HDMI and the receiver is also connected to the TV using HDMI

3. Is there a way to upscale the video signal from a satellite receiver to 720 / 1080? (Satellite receiver connected to the 608 using composite a/v cables).

4. Can I get optimum audio quality from a 3.1 setup without calibration?

1. It can vary, in general you will see one of the Dolby or DTS formats
2. In the setup menu under #5 you can set the listening mode per format per source.
3. Yes you can upscale to either 720 or 1080. Under #1 in the setup menu set it to which ever your TV can handle.
4. I'm running a 3.1 setup currently while I remodel. Even with a 3.1 setup Audyssey helps, I would recommended running the Audyssey setup. Plus you don't have access to some of the settings like Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ unless you run the Audyssey calibration. You paid for it, might as well use it....
post #1359 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

no offense. aesthetics are not my top criteria in buying a receiver any way!

LOL..Aesthetics aside, just the build quality is of a much lower standard. The Pioneer is constructed as a budget receiver. The Onkyo may be budget but, it's built to perform.
post #1360 of 5288 Old 05-28-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnyc View Post

From same thread, possibly different hardware again: "If you have a display which handles 30 or 36-bit video, the Reon will output 30-bit when the input is 24 or 30-bit.
If your display handles 36-bit and the input is also 36-bit, the Reon will output 36-bit video. The only time it will output 24-bit is if the display only handles 24-bit video."

Which confirms suspicions. Note: Game Mode removes much of the video processing, I've turned this on and set everything to thru (and kept video processing on from menu) and I can no longer tell a noticeable difference in video. Try it out, your mileage may vary.

Cool stuff
post #1361 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd sandage View Post

Cheif21, I just used a measuring tape from the shelf my unit rests on to the top of it is just shy of 7 inches, if you put a credit card on it it would be 7 inches... I hope thats "real world" enough for you.

Thanks, Judd. I appreciate your help.

Now... What is everyone's opinion as to a one-inch headroom for the 608?

Is it likely that this will be enough open space to let the receiver ventilate properly without overheating?
post #1362 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL..Aesthetics aside, just the build quality is of a much lower standard. The Pioneer is constructed as a budget receiver. The Onkyo may be budget but, it's built to perform.

you've got your fanboy hat on a little too snug...the onkyo without a doubt is beefier, but i would far from classify the pioneer's build quality as an outright lower standard. there is only 3lb weight difference between the two. the only thing lamentable about the pioneer is the draw. that is budget.
post #1363 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 05:19 AM

[quote=DaveHCYJ;18704092]Someone posted a while back in this thread that the measurements in the manual are the "real world" measurements. That is the measurements in the manual include the feet and dials etc. that stick off the 608. FYI the manual recommends I believe it was 4 inches of extra space on all sides.

Thanks to you as well, Dave.

I expect that the 4 inches is a CYA on Onkyo's part. I've had a passively-ventilated Onkyo receiver in my cabinet space for almost six years and it's been OK with nowhere near that amount of open space.

My concern rests with the fan in the 608, along with the fact that the 608 is about 3/8" higher than my current receiver.
post #1364 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:

you've got your fanboy hat on a little too snug...the onkyo without a doubt is beefier, but i would far from classify the pioneer's build quality as an outright lower standard. there is only 3lb weight difference between the two. the only thing lamentable about the pioneer is the draw. that is budget.

LOL. Agree about my fanboy hat. I'm still going to disagree with you about the A/V processing of the 608 compared to the Pioneer or should I say, the verdict is still out in my opinion.
post #1365 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnyc View Post

1) A new (to me) Hidden Menu: On device, press Game+Return.
Allows for the following settings, that I don't believe are settable elsewhere:
Deep Color: On/Off
HPD Mode: Normal/High
Fast SW: On/Off
HDMI Thru: Off, 10s, ... 15 min (keep looking for signal until t=setting?)
3D Support: On/Off
Colorimetry:On/Off

2) Another Set of "Hidden" Menus: (copied from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1192172 ) - news to me / works on 608. Jury still out on which setting I will use.

Video Attenuation You must use the buttons on the AV receiver to make these settings.

1. While holding down the input selector button for the input source that you want to set, press the [SETUP] button.
2. Use the Left and Right <-> buttons to change the setting.
3. Press the input selector button for the input source that you want to set when you've finished.

This setting can be made for the HDMI or Component Video Input.

If you have a games console connected to the S-Video, composite and component video input, and the picture isn't very clear, you can attenuate the gain.
Video ATT: OFF: (default).
Video ATT: ON: Gain is reduced by 2 dB.

This is very good info to have. Thanks!!!
post #1366 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneoctane View Post

Converted lurker here. Was originally seriously considering pioneer 1020 but the overlay volume osd, 15 pin Vga, power capability, and killer abt sale price got me. Anyway, I won't get mine for a couple of weeks. Can someone clear up a power consumption question? Back in the thread someone said with hdmi passthrough requires 30 watts even when the unit is off in standby. Is this true? That sounds like a lot of juice to me (I'm in California and my electric bill is ridiculous like the state!)

bump...can anyone answer this?
post #1367 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bump...can anyone answer this?

That's been right historically. Using an amp as an hdmi switch is very inefficient. Why not run a separate optical cable to receiver and Hdmi to tv (guessing it's just cable watching).
post #1368 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief21 View Post

Thanks, Judd. I appreciate your help.

Now... What is everyone's opinion as to a one-inch headroom for the 608?

Is it likely that this will be enough open space to let the receiver ventilate properly without overheating?

I just set up my parents' new 608 in their cabinet, with 1 1/8" clearance on top, and 2 1/4" on the sides. It's been running for hours, and the top of the cabinet is barely warm, except directly over the fan, which is slightly warm.

Now, this is with the front door of the cabinet left open. I told them to make sure to leave the cabinet door ajar when the receiver is in use, so as to allow cool air into the cabinet.

post #1369 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebal1 View Post

First off I think the SR608 is an awesome receiver, I think it sounds better than the Pioneer Elites and the more expensive Yamaha's at BB. I do have an issue with it. Is anyone having trouble using the pass through option while it is off? I am using a basic Cable box, Scientific Atlanta from Bright house. I can get it to pass the signal while it is off but only after I turn on the receiver, set it cbl/sat and then turn it off. The cable box and TV must be on prior to me turning on the receiver. When I turn off the SR608 it makes a weird noise and then the TV will work as normal. I have read the manual and have the HDMI switch set to on. I followed it exactly to make it work. My view is I should be able to turn on the TV and cable box and the signal should auto pass through. When I do this it shows video for a brief moment and then goes blank. Anyone experience this or have info to correct it?

Yes, I just set up my parents' new 608, and the signal does not seem to be going to the TV when I turn off the Onkyo. The TV picture goes off. I am using a Scientific Atlanta HD DVD box from Comcast, connected to the Onkyo via HDMI.

post #1370 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:

That's been right historically. Using an amp as an hdmi switch is very inefficient. Why not run a separate optical cable to receiver and Hdmi to tv (guessing it's just cable watching).

Yes, that is an option...but now I would have to switch my video input on the TV to use the AVR (which is kind of what it's for). So, I appreciate the low power suggestion, I will consider it. Do any time warner HD sources deliver HD audio were optical wouldn't cut it? How dows pass through work ( I want to know what I'm paying for with my 30 watts), which of the sources does it "pass through"?
post #1371 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Yes, that is an option...but now I would have to switch my video input on the TV to use the AVR (which is kind of what it's for). So, I appreciate the low power suggestion, I will consider it. Do any time warner HD sources deliver HD audio were optical wouldn't cut it? How dows pass through work ( I want to know what I'm paying for with my 30 watts), which of the sources does it "pass through"?

It will pass through the signal from the last HDMI input selected. Therefore if the AVR is on and you are using BD input turn off the receiver and it will pass the signal through. However if it was on BD last time and you wantto watch CBL with passthrough you must turn the AVR on switch to CBL then turn the AVR off again.
post #1372 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 02:05 PM

I just upgraded from an HT-R667 to the 608 and have been very happy so far. Looks great, sounds great, many nice little upgrades for a great price. I am having one issue that has me stumped however. When I'm running a PC signal through HDMI at 1080i/p, I get green vertical lines on the leftmost side of my picture covering through about half of the Win7 start button. It doesn't do this in 720 modes. When I switch over to Xbox, also through HDMI, which should be 1080, I don't seem to have a problem there either. So I thought maybe the issue was my video card, but plugging it straight into the tv works in 1080. So I'm baffled. Anyone have any troubleshooting thoughts? This is sort of ruining my experience with this receiver.
post #1373 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Here is my dilemma: I have the 608 on it's way from abt. With the fan and video processing issues I have see on this forum do I just send it back and go with the 1020 or take a chance hoping I get a good one without any problems? I'm going to assume that most of you that have this unit are not having any problems? Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks
post #1374 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsley View Post

Here is my dilemma: I have the 608 on it's way from abt. With the fan and video processing issues I have see on this forum do I just send it back and go with the 1020 or take a chance hoping I get a good one without any problems? I'm going to assume that most of you that have this unit are not having any problems? Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks

Out of the thousands or millions of units onkyo has sold I wouldn't let the few issues posted here deter you from a great product. No problems with my unit and I like it very much. Like I have said before, the video processing issue is still in question until someone performs actual lab tests.
post #1375 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

I just set up my parents' new 608 in their cabinet, with 1 1/8" clearance on top, and 2 1/4" on the sides. It's been running for hours, and the top of the cabinet is barely warm, except directly over the fan, which is slightly warm.

Now, this is with the front door of the cabinet left open. I told them to make sure to leave the cabinet door ajar when the receiver is in use, so as to allow cool air into the cabinet.

It does say in the manual to leave 8" inches at the top. I have mine in an entertainment center with 7 1/2" at the top and about 4 on each side.. Mine is open in the front, no cabinet door, and the top of the unit was pretty warm the other night but the shelf above it was not very warm. Maybe you should have your parents keep an eye on it when they play it for a long time.
post #1376 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Like I have said before, the video processing issue is still in question until someone performs actual lab tests.

The video processing is only an issue if YOU see it.
post #1377 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsley View Post

As Xerowarp said, out of the thousands of units shipped I am sure only a handful have had issues, for the video at least in my case I have not noticed any degradation since I turned off NR... why its on I have no idea it should be off by default... and for the very occasional click of a relay when it should need to click at all (after just watching all of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" I haven't heard it once) its been a very good receiver and I would recommend to give it a try.
post #1378 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Just set up a 608, with a Panny plasma and Panny BD player. I'm watching Force 10 From Navarone, and it is a non-anamorphic widescreen. I found that I could zoom the image from any of the three devices. I haven't really done a lot of comparing so far, but, in general, is there a recommendation as to the better way?

post #1379 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele519 View Post

It does say in the manual to leave 8" inches at the top. I have mine in an entertainment center with 7 1/2" at the top and about 4 on each side.. Mine is open in the front, no cabinet door, and the top of the unit was pretty warm the other night but the shelf above it was not very warm. Maybe you should have your parents keep an eye on it when they play it for a long time.

It's been running all day, and doesn't seem to be any hotter than it was after an hour. I guess time will tell.

post #1380 of 5288 Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd sandage View Post

Like I said:

6.9291338582752005 (inches)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page